TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #91
swerver

Re: mailed discs... I've been getting them for years from either blockbuster or netflix, and after seeing a disc sit unwatched for a month too many times, I made a rule. If it sits unwatched for a week, I just mail it back. If I didn't watch it by then, I must not have been that interested.

Re: collections... My collection mainly consists of all the dvd's I collected from the dvd era, ripped to hdd. I will buy a blu-ray if it's a movie I really love, but usually only if it's a really good deal. So while I do still collect, I do it less now that so much streaming is available, but I'm not quite to that point that I don't find it useful anymore. I do think that is the direction, and as pipes continue to increase in size and get cheaper, I think eventually the strong advantage blu-rays have now will diminish or disappear completely, so to answer the OP - not yet, but probably soon.

Re: rewatching... many favorite movies from my youth, up to about 25 years old, I rewatch fairly often, and I love concerts or music related movies/documentaries, and find they have a ton of rewatchability. But newer movies, unless they really strike a chord, I will never watch again.
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #92
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Re: mailed discs... I've been getting them for years from either blockbuster or netflix, and after seeing a disc sit unwatched for a month too many times, I made a rule. If it sits unwatched for a week, I just mail it back. If I didn't watch it by then, I must not have been that interested.
I had to do the same thing. I've been with Netflix for almost 13.5 years now.
At one point, around 2007, I had some HD DVDs out for over six months without watching them. I decided after that I would return discs after three or four days, whether I watched them or not.
And that policy has served me well over the last five years.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #93
DocNo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Once the product is all 0's and 1's the concept of ownership that you get with a physical product dies. You have simply licensed the right to use the product based on an arbitrary set of rules that may or may not have been defined as of yet.

And the content owners / content delivery services get to set those rules.
Do you really think it was any different when it was analog tape (VHS or Beta)?

You don't own the content, you never owned the content and unless you are involved in creating it or paying lots of money you probably never will.

Ditto with books, magazines, etc.

Now I do agree, with physical media like a real paper book or magazine, tape, DVD, BR, etc. you can have more flexibility as far as loaning it out, consuming it multiple times or different ways. But really, in the grand scheme of things does it matter that much? For the vast majority of content, for me, I've found it does not the more I think about it logically. Yes there are a few things that I want that "archival" Bluray or hard cover book... but I find it's increasingly less and less. As long as the DRM-all-digital content is cheaper than the "old ways" and has just enough flexibility, it's a good set of trade off's for me.

And there are some upsides - what Apple has done with iTunes Match is awesome - I can access practically my entire music library from anywhere. I think it's going to be a while before they get there with video - and if you buy video (not rent) from Apple or other providers you basically get unlimited re-downloads which isn't quite streaming, but getting there. But that's not Apple's problem - that's a general infrastructure and bit-shuffling problem since video - especially high quality high bitrate video - is huge compared to everything else and it's all but impossible to download in realtime or faster than to allow for sufficient buffering.
Tivo HD - On the way out the door
DocNo is offline   Reply With Quote