Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #91
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
He played Alex Dwyer, one of the lesser characters that filled out the Studio 60 show within a show. He didn't get a lot of screen time outside the show within a show, if I recall.

Here's a clip of him doing "The Nicolas Cage Show" parody in the fictional Studio 60 SNL-like show.

click here to watch the video
You need to upgrade your Flash Player
That's great -- they should recycle that on BBT sometime.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #92
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
There are two sides to 30 Rock. I also can't stand *anything* with the Jenna or Tracey Jordon characters. I've started FF through those parts, because most of the time, they are in the same scenese together. OTOH, the scenes with Tiny Fey and Alec Baldwin are really brilliant. I watch those two or three times to get all the tiny, quick lines they say.
I agree, but I'm ok with Tracy and Jenna in small doses. The problem with 30 Rock is that they are out of ideas. They rehash the same themes over and over and it's getting old.

I liked Studio 60, but like a lot of shows of it's ilk, it was TOO inside, so it didn't appeal to the masses and thus doomed to failure. But I thought it was very well written and I like the characters a lot.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #93
Hank
AC•FTW

Well, with Liz maybe having a plant next season, that's new.
Spoiler:
And Jack and Avery breaking up.
Jack dating Avery's mother. Kenneth needs to kick Whatsername out and be the paige again.

by request I spoilerized what is actually a spoiler. The rest is just my guess at what's new next season.

Last edited by Hank : 05-19-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #94
tiams

Quote:
Well, with Liz having a baby next season, that's new. And Jack and Avery breaking up. Jack dating her mother. Kenneth needs to kick Whatsername out and be the paige again.
I come to the BBT thread and get 30 Rock Spoilers.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:13 AM   #95
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Better than getting a lousy tshirt

You're right, we should go back to discussing the hotness of Simon Helberg

Someone on the radio today for no apparent reason suggested that they wanted to see a mixture of Mick Jagger and Sheldon Cooper. My head exploded at that point.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #96
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
Here's what you do when you see an "ugly" person.
First, understand that someone is probably in love with them. So I try and see what the person that loves them sees- I look for the feature that I think the lover loves most.
Helberg has beautiful eyes- just very, very nice.

Try it in a mall or somewhere sometime- there is something attractive about everyone. You just have to be able to see it. Some people take more looking, that's all.
Cearbhaill is very wise.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:27 AM   #97
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
It's ridiculous, right?

I don't know what it is about some fans of 30 Rock, that no one can mention Studio 60 without someone chiming in that 30 Rock is still on the air while Studio 60 crashed and burned, or that 30 Rock is the better comedy (not surprising, since despite what imdb says, Studio 60 was no more a comedy than The West Wing was). [And NO, 30 Rock fans, I don't need to hear you say AGAIN that both shows were about a comedy sketch show and that the show-within wasn't funny. We've heard you already, like a bazillion times.] The whole thing is demented. If, every time people mentioned Life on Mars, someone came along and posted "but Castle is better" just because both shows involve a police department and are set in NYC, people would see how lame that was, but since it's apparently okay to crap on any mention of Aaron Sorkin, people don't see the absurdity.

To get back on topic: thumbs up to Simon Helberg for his fine work on both BBT and Studio 60.

It doesn't always show to its best advantage on BBT, but he has a nice voice, too.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 05-18-2012 at 10:35 AM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:37 AM   #98
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
It's ridiculous, right?

I don't know what it is about some fans of 30 Rock, that no one can mention Studio 60 without someone chiming in that 30 Rock is still on the air while Studio 60 crashed and burned, or that 30 Rock is the better comedy (not surprising, since despite what imdb says, Studio 60 was no more a comedy than The West Wing was). [And NO, 30 Rock fans, I don't need to hear you say AGAIN that both shows were about a comedy sketch show and that the show-within wasn't funny. We've heard you already, like a bazillion times.] The whole thing is demented. If, every time people mentioned Life on Mars, someone came along and posted "but Castle is better" just because both shows involve a police department and are set in NYC, people would see how lame that was, but since it's apparently okay to crap on any mention of Aaron Sorkin, people don't see the absurdity.

To get back on topic: thumbs up to Simon Helberg for his fine work on both BBT and Studio 60.

It doesn't always show to its best advantage on BBT, but he has a nice voice, too.
I guess the thing with 30 and 60 is they had the same premise AND they premiered within a few days of each other and were on the same network. So the comparisons are a natural consequence.

But you're right, it's old news. I guess there's still a lot of Sorkin groupies out there
Old 05-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #99
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
It's ridiculous, right?

I hope you're not talking about what I said and you're just ranting... because I am a *huge* Sorkin fan, and would have chosen 60 over 30 any day. But I'm also a Tiny Fey fan, and that's what we're left with. What I actually said was that Studio 60 was better TV, and that 30 Rock was better Comedy. That *wasn't* a comparison.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #100
David Platt
Have an A-1 Day!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Well, with Liz... <snip>
You should really go back and spoilerize that so these major plot points aren't spoiled for anybody else.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #101
Hank
AC•FTW

Only one of those things I posted was an actual spoiler. And not a major one either.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #102
tiams

Quote:
Only one of those things I posted was an actual spoiler. And not a major one either.
It's not for you to decide whether something is a major or minor spoiler. I am behind on my 30 Rock so what you posted was spoilers (more than one).
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #103
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Wow. I didn't know either of those. I'm generally not cranky about spoilers, but that was all in last night's episode, I'm assuming.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:30 PM   #104
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
I hope you're not talking about what I said and you're just ranting... because I am a *huge* Sorkin fan, and would have chosen 60 over 30 any day. But I'm also a Tiny Fey fan, and that's what we're left with. What I actually said was that Studio 60 was better TV, and that 30 Rock was better Comedy. That *wasn't* a comparison.
It wasn't just you, Hank. I think the order of people's posts makes it evident who said what when. Yes, I'm ranting, because I don't see why, just because Simon's work on Studio 60 came up, we should be talking about 30 Rock at all.

But if we must talk about 30 Rock, I agree with the suggestion that current season stuff should be spoiler-tagged. This isn't a 30 Rock episode thread.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #105
kettledrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
Here's what you do when you see an "ugly" person.
First, understand that someone is probably in love with them. So I try and see what the person that loves them sees- I look for the feature that I think the lover loves most.
Helberg has beautiful eyes- just very, very nice.

Try it in a mall or somewhere sometime- there is something attractive about everyone. You just have to be able to see it. Some people take more looking, that's all.
Hmmm, I tried that once, got mall security called on me for being creepy in checking out all of the women who were passing by.

I kid...that didn't happen to me.
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #106
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettledrum View Post
Hmmm, I tried that once, got mall security called on me for being creepy in checking out all of the women who were passing by.
Took the words right out of my mouth...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote