TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #91
Hank
AC•FTW
 
Hank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 17,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
He played Alex Dwyer, one of the lesser characters that filled out the Studio 60 show within a show. He didn't get a lot of screen time outside the show within a show, if I recall.

Here's a clip of him doing "The Nicolas Cage Show" parody in the fictional Studio 60 SNL-like show.


click here to watch the video
You need to upgrade your Flash Player
That's great -- they should recycle that on BBT sometime.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #92
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
There are two sides to 30 Rock. I also can't stand *anything* with the Jenna or Tracey Jordon characters. I've started FF through those parts, because most of the time, they are in the same scenese together. OTOH, the scenes with Tiny Fey and Alec Baldwin are really brilliant. I watch those two or three times to get all the tiny, quick lines they say.
I agree, but I'm ok with Tracy and Jenna in small doses. The problem with 30 Rock is that they are out of ideas. They rehash the same themes over and over and it's getting old.

I liked Studio 60, but like a lot of shows of it's ilk, it was TOO inside, so it didn't appeal to the masses and thus doomed to failure. But I thought it was very well written and I like the characters a lot.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #93
Hank
AC•FTW
 
Hank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 17,669
Well, with Liz maybe having a plant next season, that's new.
Spoiler:
And Jack and Avery breaking up.
Jack dating Avery's mother. Kenneth needs to kick Whatsername out and be the paige again.

by request I spoilerized what is actually a spoiler. The rest is just my guess at what's new next season.

Last edited by Hank : 05-19-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #94
tiams
Registered User
 
tiams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Well, with Liz having a baby next season, that's new. And Jack and Avery breaking up. Jack dating her mother. Kenneth needs to kick Whatsername out and be the paige again.
I come to the BBT thread and get 30 Rock Spoilers.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:13 AM   #95
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I come to the BBT thread and get 30 Rock Spoilers.
Better than getting a lousy tshirt

You're right, we should go back to discussing the hotness of Simon Helberg

Someone on the radio today for no apparent reason suggested that they wanted to see a mixture of Mick Jagger and Sheldon Cooper. My head exploded at that point.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #96
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'
 
murgatroyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Berkeley CA
Posts: 22,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
Here's what you do when you see an "ugly" person.
First, understand that someone is probably in love with them. So I try and see what the person that loves them sees- I look for the feature that I think the lover loves most.
Helberg has beautiful eyes- just very, very nice.

Try it in a mall or somewhere sometime- there is something attractive about everyone. You just have to be able to see it. Some people take more looking, that's all.
Cearbhaill is very wise.
__________________
"The capacity of human beings to disappoint me is never ending." -- Ereth
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:27 AM   #97
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'
 
murgatroyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Berkeley CA
Posts: 22,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I come to the BBT thread and get 30 Rock Spoilers.
It's ridiculous, right?

I don't know what it is about some fans of 30 Rock, that no one can mention Studio 60 without someone chiming in that 30 Rock is still on the air while Studio 60 crashed and burned, or that 30 Rock is the better comedy (not surprising, since despite what imdb says, Studio 60 was no more a comedy than The West Wing was). [And NO, 30 Rock fans, I don't need to hear you say AGAIN that both shows were about a comedy sketch show and that the show-within wasn't funny. We've heard you already, like a bazillion times.] The whole thing is demented. If, every time people mentioned Life on Mars, someone came along and posted "but Castle is better" just because both shows involve a police department and are set in NYC, people would see how lame that was, but since it's apparently okay to crap on any mention of Aaron Sorkin, people don't see the absurdity.

To get back on topic: thumbs up to Simon Helberg for his fine work on both BBT and Studio 60.

It doesn't always show to its best advantage on BBT, but he has a nice voice, too.
__________________
"The capacity of human beings to disappoint me is never ending." -- Ereth

Last edited by murgatroyd : 05-18-2012 at 10:35 AM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:37 AM   #98
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
It's ridiculous, right?

I don't know what it is about some fans of 30 Rock, that no one can mention Studio 60 without someone chiming in that 30 Rock is still on the air while Studio 60 crashed and burned, or that 30 Rock is the better comedy (not surprising, since despite what imdb says, Studio 60 was no more a comedy than The West Wing was). [And NO, 30 Rock fans, I don't need to hear you say AGAIN that both shows were about a comedy sketch show and that the show-within wasn't funny. We've heard you already, like a bazillion times.] The whole thing is demented. If, every time people mentioned Life on Mars, someone came along and posted "but Castle is better" just because both shows involve a police department and are set in NYC, people would see how lame that was, but since it's apparently okay to crap on any mention of Aaron Sorkin, people don't see the absurdity.

To get back on topic: thumbs up to Simon Helberg for his fine work on both BBT and Studio 60.

It doesn't always show to its best advantage on BBT, but he has a nice voice, too.
I guess the thing with 30 and 60 is they had the same premise AND they premiered within a few days of each other and were on the same network. So the comparisons are a natural consequence.

But you're right, it's old news. I guess there's still a lot of Sorkin groupies out there
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #99
Hank
AC•FTW
 
Hank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 17,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
It's ridiculous, right?

I don't know what it is about some fans of 30 Rock, that no one can mention Studio 60 without someone chiming in that 30 Rock is still on the air while Studio 60 crashed and burned, or that 30 Rock is the better comedy (not surprising, since despite what imdb says, Studio 60 was no more a comedy than The West Wing was). [And NO, 30 Rock fans, I don't need to hear you say AGAIN that both shows were about a comedy sketch show and that the show-within wasn't funny. We've heard you already, like a bazillion times.] The whole thing is demented. If, every time people mentioned Life on Mars, someone came along and posted "but Castle is better" just because both shows involve a police department and are set in NYC, people would see how lame that was, but since it's apparently okay to crap on any mention of Aaron Sorkin, people don't see the absurdity.
I hope you're not talking about what I said and you're just ranting... because I am a *huge* Sorkin fan, and would have chosen 60 over 30 any day. But I'm also a Tiny Fey fan, and that's what we're left with. What I actually said was that Studio 60 was better TV, and that 30 Rock was better Comedy. That *wasn't* a comparison.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #100
David Platt
Have an A-1 Day!
 
David Platt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 9,874
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Well, with Liz... <snip>
You should really go back and spoilerize that so these major plot points aren't spoiled for anybody else.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #101
Hank
AC•FTW
 
Hank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 17,669
Only one of those things I posted was an actual spoiler. And not a major one either.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #102
tiams
Registered User
 
tiams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Only one of those things I posted was an actual spoiler. And not a major one either.
It's not for you to decide whether something is a major or minor spoiler. I am behind on my 30 Rock so what you posted was spoilers (more than one).
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #103
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current
 
YCantAngieRead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 39,417
Wow. I didn't know either of those. I'm generally not cranky about spoilers, but that was all in last night's episode, I'm assuming.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:30 PM   #104
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'
 
murgatroyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Berkeley CA
Posts: 22,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
I hope you're not talking about what I said and you're just ranting... because I am a *huge* Sorkin fan, and would have chosen 60 over 30 any day. But I'm also a Tiny Fey fan, and that's what we're left with. What I actually said was that Studio 60 was better TV, and that 30 Rock was better Comedy. That *wasn't* a comparison.
It wasn't just you, Hank. I think the order of people's posts makes it evident who said what when. Yes, I'm ranting, because I don't see why, just because Simon's work on Studio 60 came up, we should be talking about 30 Rock at all.

But if we must talk about 30 Rock, I agree with the suggestion that current season stuff should be spoiler-tagged. This isn't a 30 Rock episode thread.
__________________
"The capacity of human beings to disappoint me is never ending." -- Ereth
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #105
kettledrum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Fishers, IN
Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
Here's what you do when you see an "ugly" person.
First, understand that someone is probably in love with them. So I try and see what the person that loves them sees- I look for the feature that I think the lover loves most.
Helberg has beautiful eyes- just very, very nice.

Try it in a mall or somewhere sometime- there is something attractive about everyone. You just have to be able to see it. Some people take more looking, that's all.
Hmmm, I tried that once, got mall security called on me for being creepy in checking out all of the women who were passing by.




I kid...that didn't happen to me.
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #106
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettledrum View Post
Hmmm, I tried that once, got mall security called on me for being creepy in checking out all of the women who were passing by.
Took the words right out of my mouth...
__________________
"You don't know Bierboy like I know Bierboy. He became a lot more amusing after I figured out his sense of humor..." -- Rob Helmerichs

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |