Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #61
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
With success comes failure, sometimes more failure than success.
LOL! You're kidding, right? More failure than success = FAILURE! Unless your plan is to fail, in which case you are succeeding as a failure.

I think what you were trying to convey was more about taking RISKS which can lead to success or failure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #62
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

Quote:
Hey I'll hire some brilliant mercurial personalities and you hire happy worker drones and we'll see who gets ahead. With success comes failure, sometimes more failure than success. If Arsenio was great at execution I'd give him a pass for not being creative but he didn't really even do that much you can point to. Take Arsenio's word for it ""I got two women. One's damn near genius. The other's damn near not." ...Arsenio that applies to you too.
If I had a choice to hire Arsenio or Aubrey, I hire Arsenio. He knows when to step up and when to let people do their jobs. He's not a micro-manager. Aubrey's not a micro-manager either. She just dumps the whole team and does it all herself.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:42 PM   #63
Dnamertz

Quote:
Hey I'll hire some brilliant mercurial personalities and you hire happy worker drones and we'll see who gets ahead. With success comes failure, sometimes more failure than success.
It's not that simple. Aubrey's strong suit was her creativity and she did have some good ideas. She was undone by her ego, which led her to believe that every idea that came into her head was the best idea ever. You hire someone in business who tries to create a new product line out of every idea they come up with and can't differntiate between the good ideas and the bad, you'll be out of buiness...unless all their ideas are truely great.

Quote:
If Arsenio was great at execution I'd give him a pass for not being creative but he didn't really even do that much you can point to. Take Arsenio's word for it ""I got two women. One's damn near genius. The other's damn near not." ...Arsenio that applies to you too.
This isn't the "Idea Show"...it's "The Apprentice". People had different stregths. Aubrey's was creativity, Lisa was a good writer, other's were musically gifted making them good at the jingle writting. Arsenio is a performer, and he shown when in that perfomance/presentation role on challenges. Outside of that, he had some ideas, and managed people well (except Aubrey to some extent) as project manager...and I think he raised more money than her.
Dnamertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #64
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
If I had a choice to hire Arsenio or Aubrey, I hire Arsenio. He knows when to step up and when to let people do their jobs. He's not a micro-manager. Aubrey's not a micro-manager either. She just dumps the whole team and does it all herself.
He's where Dayana would be if she didn't try to put a stamp on her task and she isn't F2 material either. I'd even argue that Dayana is better prior to her tanking, at least she had good suggestions even tho on many occasions the timing was suspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnamertz View Post
It's not that simple. Aubrey's strong suit was her creativity and she did have some good ideas. She was undone by her ego, which led her to believe that every idea that came into her head was the best idea ever. You hire someone in business who tries to create a new product line out of every idea they come up with and can't differntiate between the good ideas and the bad, you'll be out of buiness...unless all their ideas are truely great.

This isn't the "Idea Show"...it's "The Apprentice". People had different stregths. Aubrey's was creativity, Lisa was a good writer, other's were musically gifted making them good at the jingle writting. Arsenio is a performer, and he shown when in that perfomance/presentation role on challenges. Outside of that, he had some ideas, and managed people well (except Aubrey to some extent) as project manager...and I think he raised more money than her.
If performing was his strength why didn't he put together the structure of stage presentations. Drumming and badly rapping doesn't do it for me. Again I give him a pass on the idea part, he really didn't have to much do with the execution either.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:04 PM   #65
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
LOL! You're kidding, right? More failure than success = FAILURE! Unless your plan is to fail, in which case you are succeeding as a failure.

I think what you were trying to convey was more about taking RISKS which can lead to success or failure.
If you play Major league baseball and fail 7 times out of 10 at the plate you are a success. If you only fail 6 out of 10 times you're a sure fire hall of famer.
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #66
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
If you play Major league baseball and fail 7 times out of 10 at the plate you are a success. If you only fail 6 out of 10 times you're a sure fire hall of famer.
That only applies to MLB.

Now that I think about it, CEOs of giant corporations can destroy the economy of their business (and more) and still leave their job with golden parachutes and the company's pension plan in their off-shore bank account. Same goes for politicians who get a gold-plated tax-free pension for life after only a relatively short term in office. And stock brokers earn money when they earn their Client's money, but they also earn money when they lose thier Client's money.

But I still stand by the concept that, as a business model for the vast majority of people, more failure than success adds up to FAILURE.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #67
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
That only applies to MLB.

Now that I think about it, CEOs of giant corporations can destroy the economy of their business (and more) and still leave their job with golden parachutes and the company's pension plan in their off-shore bank account. Same goes for politicians who get a gold-plated tax-free pension for life after only a relatively short term in office. And stock brokers earn money when they earn their Client's money, but they also earn money when they lose thier Client's money.

But I still stand by the concept that, as a business model for the vast majority of people, more failure than success adds up to FAILURE.
Celebrity Apprentice isn't a business.
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #68
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
Celebrity Apprentice isn't a business.
That was never in question. It's a game show.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:34 PM   #69
Amnesia
The Question

No, it's a reality show. Game shows need to be fair.
Amnesia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:27 PM   #70
Dnamertz

Quote:
If performing was his strength why didn't he put together the structure of stage presentations. Drumming and badly rapping doesn't do it for me. Again I give him a pass on the idea part, he really didn't have to much do with the execution either.
Drumming and rapping was all you remember? There were a couple presentations (such as the most recent one where Theresa got fired) where the execs thought he was one of the highlights.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #71
Dnamertz

I'm only half way through this past week's episode, but we are also seeing that Clay is having the same issues trying to manage Aubrey that Arsenio, and everyone else had. Her "nobody checks me" attitude and her saying "if you give me a task, I'm only doing it my way" is not someone you want on your team or in business. The most telling thing about Aubrey is that she was the last one picked for teams.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #72
Amnesia
The Question

Actually, she wasn't picked at all...
Amnesia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #73
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnamertz View Post
I'm only half way through this past week's episode, but we are also seeing that Clay is having the same issues trying to manage Aubrey that Arsenio, and everyone else had. Her "nobody checks me" attitude and her saying "if you give me a task, I'm only doing it my way" is not someone you want on your team or in business. The most telling thing about Aubrey is that she was the last one picked for teams.
People like Lisa and Aubrey are not team players. They both ACT like they are, but in reality all they do is cover their own butts and toot their own horns. In the REAL world, people that take credit for everything usually just piss off the people they are working with and eventually get canned because nobody wants to work with them. Tooting your own horn can only get you so far. People have to respect you too, and that's something that both Lisa and Aubrey both lacked. They showed little respect, and they got little in return.

I jumped for joy when Trump got rid of them both. I'm sure he did it quickly, just so he wouldn't have to hear all the "reasons" why they both think they should win. I found them both nauseating, and I wouldn't want either one of them anywhere near my business.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:30 AM   #74
Dnamertz

Just finished watching the whole episode and both Arsenio and Clay seem to be doing a great job as PMs and both deserve to be in the final 2. Even Lisa commented on how great a job Arsenio is doing even though her management style differs from hers.

As for Lisa donating to Clay's charity...is she doing that as part of this challenge? If so, that is MUCH worse than Lou Ferrigno giving an opinion about the other team's product being better. What Lisa is doing could actually help the other team win. Hopefully she is just donating to his charity separate from the show.