TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
Gary Stevens

Premiere randomly loses ability to swap tuners

Got a Premiere about two months ago and after some Comcast headaches everything seemed to be fine except for one thing.

Randomly and regularly, the Live/Swap remote button will not cause the Tivo to swap tuners. The first press brings up the program guide. A second press brings up the channel info overlay. Repeated presses just cycle between these two overlays.

I have checked the DVR Diagnostics info to verify that the two tuners are indeed on different channels. I have tried multiple remotes and the Tivo behavior does not change. A trip through Tivo Central will sometimes appear to fix the problem and restore the swap function, but not always.

I've been working with Tivo tech support and they sent me a new Premiere. Unfortunately, it has exactly the same behavior! The only thing in common between the original and the replacement is the cablecard.

Has anyone heard of this behavior? One Tivo technician said he had handled maybe three calls over the last two years for this problem.

Could it be cablecard related? I don't see how, since the cablecard has to support two output streams concurrently so presumably the stream selected for display is handled by the Tivo hardware.

On the channel info overlay, I just noticed that the mini menu on the right edge has a "swap tuners" button. (Was that there in the last rev?) Using this method reliably swaps tuners and heals things so that the remote Swap/Live button works again. Ironically, cursoring to the menu "swap" button brings up a helpful suggestion that a faster way to swap tuners is to use the Swap/Live button on the remote.

Thanks for any suggestions.

-Gary
Gary Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
Krellion

What kind of remote are you using? Some programmable remotes use an older code for the TiVo or Live TV buttons that tells your TiVo to bring up the program guide instead of switching tuners when the Live TV button is pressed. Usually going into the main TiVo menu with a proper remote will fix the issue.
)
TiVo HD XL (S3, Lifetime) @ 1TB - CableCARD/TA
TiVo Premiere XL4/Elite (S4, Lifetime) @ 2TB - CableCARD/TA
Krellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
Gary Stevens

I have two new genuine Premiere remotes, two universal remotes, and an old Series 1 remote. The Tivo behavior is the same no matter which remote is used.

-Gary
Old 05-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #4
blackngold75

I don't recall the LiveTV button ever bringing up the program guide...
blackngold75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
Gary Stevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngold75 View Post
I don't recall the LiveTV button ever bringing up the program guide...
Quite correct - it shouldn't. But mine does, or rather, both the ones I have do it. Quite weird.

-Gary
Old 05-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #6
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Try This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Stevens View Post
Randomly and regularly, the Live/Swap remote button will not cause the Tivo to swap tuners
i had this happen once on a new tivo premiere xl, and either a cold boot or the software upgrade fixed, i don't know which (they happened in succession).

try a cold boot:
first, unplug all cables (ethernet, cable coax, power, hdmi & fiber optic), and remove the card.

next, reconnect the hdmi and the fiber optic, plug power into tivo, but wait for tivo to ask for the cable card after it has finished the boot.

then, insert the cable card, wait for tivo to recognize it, and connect the coax cable and wait for channels to appear. verify the channel setup (should be unchanged).

finally, connect the ethernet cable and verify network connectivity.

you can also request the spring software update if you haven't already received it by going to:
http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/software-...riority_vanity
hope this helps clear it up.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #7
Ed_Hunt
Pokerpro

shift

I had this same thing and tried to fix it with multiple remotes and reboots et al. It fixed itself after about a month so I am assuming a software update fixed it. All my remotes, Tivo and otherwise, work now
1 Roamio OTA only
60" LG Plasma
60" Vizio 1080P
36" LG HD
Ed_Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
Gary Stevens

Thanks, NorthAlabama. I've actually done the cold restart-the-world sequence and that didn't cure it, unfortunately. I'll look into the SW revision and check against the new release. Thanks for the direct link!

Did more troubleshooting last night with Tivo tech support via chat. Still no confirmed solution, but level two tech support is suspecting the CableCARD, which I will swap out today. That is the only thing in common between my original Premiere and the replacement I just swapped in. Well, that and the AC cord. Current thinking is that the CableCARD is mis-communicating with the Tivo and saying only a single tuner is available.

Quick recap: Can't swap tuners with remote Live/Swap button. Problem is intermittent, but present ~80% of the time now (has been showing up more often). Using the swap icon on the mini menu in the channel info overlay ALWAYS works, though.

-Gary
Old 05-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
morac
Cat God

On some older remotes (ones designed for single tuner models) there were no separate Live TV and Guide buttons, they were combined into one button. Pressing it once would go to Live TV and pressing it again would bring up the guide.

The Premiere still has the capability to work with these older remotes and it determines what remote is being used by the remote code that is sent when the TiVo button is pressed.

Try this. Using one of the official Premiere remotes, press the TiVo button. Then see if the Live TV button works. If that doesn't work, try switching to the SDUI (if you are using HDUI) and press the TiVo button again. That should tell the Premiere that there are separate Live TV and Guide buttons. Once (if) it works, don't use the Series 1 remote and make sure your universal remotes are programmed based off of Series 3 aor Premiere remote codes, not the Series 1 or Series 2 ones.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:55 AM   #10
dvnext

Here's my experience with this issue

I recently got a new Denon receiver which came with a remote that has a DVR mode. In this mode, if I hit the Menu button on the Denon remote, it will triggers the Tivo menu to open. My guess is that when this happens it will cause this Guide-instead-of-tuner-switch problem.

The trick for me, and the main reason for my post, is that I have a Tivo Slide remote and the Tivo-botton-followed-by-Live-button fix did NOT work for me. Instead, I had to use the remote that came with my S3 to do it. After that, both remotes worked as expected.

So a heads-up for Slide owners with this issue. Use your original remote to fix the issue, not the Slide remote.
dvnext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #11
morac
Cat God

TiVo might not have coded the software to handle the detection via bluetooth. My guess is that if you switched the Slide remote to IR instead of bluetooth (i.e. pulled the bluetooth dongle), the fix would work.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote