Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #91
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Phoenix is somehow "far from civilization" and Minneapolis is not?

Civilization ends at the Mississippi. Most of Minneapolis is technically beyond civilization, but the part that's on the West Bank can easily carry civilization across the bridges from the East Bank. We don't have to ship it way out into the desert.

(There was, of course, a noticeable drop in civilization here during the year that the 35W bridge was down...)
Old 05-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #92
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Civilization ends at the Mississippi. Most of Minneapolis is technically beyond civilization, but the part that's on the West Bank can easily carry civilization across the bridges from the East Bank. We don't have to ship it way out into the desert.

(There was, of course, a noticeable drop in civilization here during the year that the 35W bridge was down...)
From here in Suburban NYC you all are on the fringes of civilization:

Highslide JS

Old 05-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #93
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
From here in Suburban NYC you all are on the fringes of civilization:
Heh...that reminds me of a conversation I had with comic book inker Joe Rubenstein about 30 years ago. He was inking a cover for a fanzine I was publishing, and we were going to meet up at a convention in Chicago. I paraphrase:

JOE: You live by there, right?

ROB: Well, it's about a day's drive. You New Yorkers really don't know anything about geography, do you?

JOE: No, I know where you are. You're by those lakes.

ROB (Not sure if he's referring to the Great Lakes or Minnesota's 10,000 lakes): Uh...

JOE: Where all the blond people live.

ROB: Yeah, I guess...

JOE: Where they have the earthquakes.

ROB: Shoulda quit when you weren't too far behind, Joe...
Old 05-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #94
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Mentalist on Sunday? I like this show, but enough to put up with CBS shenanigans? We'll see. One or two missed final scenes, and it's goodbye Patrick Jane.
Quote:
So is Rules of Engagement coming back, and if so, when?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Sundays are usually too crowded to be wasting tuners on double-duty just because a frikkin' network in the 21st century hasn't learned how to schedule its shows.
Okay I'm confused. If this was a 8pm or 9pm show I'd be all in agreement but with it being a 10pm show, aside from the fact that I record a bazillion things on Sundays at 10pm why would the run over of games affecting the stop time on this particular show be an issue? Just pad it for an hour or so. Surely you don't have that much recording at 11pm that would make this a problem? Or am I missing something??

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
According to EW.com, that has yet to be determined (both the if and when).
It was renewed according to the cancellation table on spoilertv. They no longer have any show listed as undetermined. Zap2It/TVbythenumbers shows it's still in discussions so I don't know. I like this show so I'm really curious now too. I thought it was renewed because I usually just go off spoilertv's list as it's always been correct before.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #95
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
It was renewed according to the cancellation table on spoilertv. They no longer have any show listed as undetermined. Zap2It/TVbythenumbers shows it's still in discussions so I don't know. I like this show so I'm really curious now too. I thought it was renewed because I usually just go off spoilertv's list as it's always been correct before.
According to the conference call the network did with critics early this morning, they were still in discussions and didn't have a final answer. It's possible that information changed by the time CBS did their actual upfront presentation later this morning, and maybe some sites are reflecting the updated info. I'm several hours behind on my witter feed, so I don't know for sure.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #96
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
According to the conference call the network did with critics early this morning, they were still in discussions and didn't have a final answer. It's possible that information changed by the time CBS did their actual upfront presentation later this morning, and maybe some sites are reflecting the updated info. I'm several hours behind on my witter feed, so I don't know for sure.
No it appears spoilertv is wrong or jumped the gun because I was looking at that yesterday at work.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:25 PM   #97
mwhip
All better

Trailers for CBS:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/video/...20120516cbs03/

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #98
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Okay I'm confused. If this was a 8pm or 9pm show I'd be all in agreement but with it being a 10pm show, aside from the fact that I record a bazillion things on Sundays at 10pm why would the run over of games affecting the stop time on this particular show be an issue? Just pad it for an hour or so. Surely you don't have that much recording at 11pm that would make this a problem? Or am I missing something??
You're correct, I'm just being an ornery old grouch. I have an Elite, so it's not a huge problem. I just like to complain.

Plus I've been dealing with lawyers all week (AKA beating one's head against the wall) trying to consummate a huge deal, and I'm ready to shoot the next person who so much as looks at me funny.

Are you looking funny at me? Yeah, you!
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #99
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Are you looking funny at me? Yeah, you!
Maybe I am!
Old 05-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #100
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Alas, poor photoshopgrl, we knew her well...
Old 05-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #101
MarkofT

Partners is Deja Vu?
MarkofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:08 AM   #102
WhiskeyTango

THE CW’s 2012-2013 PRIMETIME SCHEDULE

MONDAY
8:00-9:00 PM 90210 (New Night)
9:00-10:00 PM Gossip Girl (New Time)

(THE CARRIE DIARIES premieres January, 2013)

TUESDAY
8:00-9:00 PM Hart Of Dixie (New Night)
9:00-10:00 PM EMILY OWENS, M.D. (New Series)

WEDNESDAY
8:00-9:00 PM ARROW (New Series)
9:00-10:00 PM SUPERNATURAL (New Night)

THURSDAY
8:00-9:00 PM THE Vampire Diaries
9:00-10:00 PM BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (New Series)

FRIDAY
8:00-9:00 PM AMERICA’S Next Top Model (New Night)
9:00-10:00 PM Nikita (New Time)
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #103
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

So Vampire Diaries stays in the same spot. Wish that had moved to Wed. My Thurs is so full at 8pm.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:10 AM   #104
WhiskeyTango

Mid season shows include THE CARRIE DIARIES & CULT.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #105
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
Mid season shows include THE CARRIE DIARIES & CULT.
I wonder where they are putting The Cult. That's Matt Davis' new show.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:20 AM   #106
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Wow. Why would they renew Nikita (a questionable decision already, given the ratings) - only to bury it in the Friday Night Death Slot, paired with a clearly incompatible lead-in?

(Yeah, I know that Nikita is already on Fridays... but at least right now it's in the 8:00 hour.)

Plus - with it being in the 9:00 hour, it puts it up against Fringe, another genre series with probably much of the audience being shared between the two shows.

Seems a questionable decision at best. Why not just cancel the show if you hate it that much?
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:49 AM   #107
sieglinde

Los Angeles and San Francisco are far from civilization? OK.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:51 AM   #108
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
I wonder where they are putting The Cult. That's Matt Davis' new show.
I'm going to guess that Cult will replace America's Next Top Model on Fridays in January. Cult/Nikita will be a much better pairing.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #109
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Wow. Why would they renew Nikita (a questionable decision already, given the ratings) - only to bury it in the Friday Night Death Slot, paired with a clearly incompatible lead-in?

(Yeah, I know that Nikita is already on Fridays... but at least right now it's in the 8:00 hour.)

Plus - with it being in the 9:00 hour, it puts it up against Fringe, another genre series with probably much of the audience being shared between the two shows.

Seems a questionable decision at best. Why not just cancel the show if you hate it that much?
I wondered this too. And from purely selfish reasons, I hate it, since I am a huge Fringe fan. Imagine, a conflict on a Friday night? Who would have thunk it!!?
Old 05-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #110
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I seriously doubt there is much overlap in the Fringe and Nikita audiences.

According to Twitter, CW's schedule is 90% new or new timeslots. That's not a good thing.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #111
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
9:00-10:00 P.M. "BEAUTY AND THE BEAST"

Detective Catherine Chandler is a smart, no-nonsense homicide detective. Several years earlier, Catherine witnessed the murder of her mother at the hands of two gunmen. Catherine would have been killed too, but someone - or something - saved her. No one has ever believed her, but she knows it wasn't an animal that attacked the assassins...it was human. Years have passed, and Catherine is a strong, confident, capable police officer, working alongside her equally talented partner, Tess. While investigating a murder, Catherine discovers a clue that leads her to a handsome doctor named Vincent Keller, who was reportedly killed by enemy fire while serving in Afghanistan in 2002. Catherine learns that Vincent is actually still alive and that it was he who saved her many years before. For mysterious reasons that have forced him to live outside of traditional society, Vincent has been in hiding for the past 10 years to guard his secret - when he is enraged, he becomes a terrifying beast, unable to control his super-strength and heightened senses. Catherine agrees to protect his identity in return for any insight he may have into her mother's murder. Thus begins a complex relationship between Catherine and Vincent, who are powerfully drawn to each other yet understand that their connection is extremely dangerous for both of them.
Wait...on the old CBS version, wasn't Vincent always a beast (and, in fact, lived in a (literrally) underground society of "beasts")? Was some developer watching episodes from the old series and didn't notice when somebody threw in an episode of The Incredible Hulk or something?
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #112
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Wait...on the old CBS version, wasn't Vincent always a beast (and, in fact, lived in a (literrally) underground society of "beasts")? Was some developer watching episodes from the old series and didn't notice when somebody threw in an episode of The Incredible Hulk or something?
In the original one, Vincent was disfigured, whose disfigurement just happened to be very lion-like (coincidence, I'm sure). I believe that he was discovered abandoned as an infant and raised by a collective that lived in abandoned sewer/subway lines. He was the only "beast," - the rest were just societal outcasts of various types.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #113
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I was surprised that Supernatural was renewed. I thought they (producers? actors?) were ready to be done with that show.

Not that I'm complaining.
The actors who play the brother were ready to end it, but CW gave them more $$$.$$$.00 per episodes. They make more money then YOU will ever see in your lifetime.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:45 PM   #114
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by taronga View Post
This has been a bad TV year for me. All of my favorite new shows (Ringer, GCB, The Finder) have been cancelled while the ones I wouldn't mind being rid of (Person of Interest, Grimm, Once Upon a Time) were renewed. Smash is the only bright spot for me.
I like Person of Interest, Grimm, Once Upon a Time.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:03 PM   #115
Haps
eh?

Nice stickied. Whisky keep it up!
Haps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:32 PM   #116
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Did ABC pass on their version of Beauty and the Beast?
Old 05-18-2012, 05:33 AM   #117
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

I hope Beauty and the Best fails and they put Cult in its place. I think TVD preceding it would be nice TV for me.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #118
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
The CBS Sunday line up has the been the bane of my viewing for a long time. More shows have bit the dust for me because they're too difficult to keep up with and keep from losing programs due to too many extended recordings.

However, that being said, one of the things I LOVE about my DirecTV DVRs is you can record the same channel with overlapping recording. In other words, I can record The Amazing Race, The Good Wife and The Mentalist, set all three recordings for 1 1/2 to 2 hours each, and it still only uses one tuner - with the overlapping times being recorded on two different program blocks.

As mentioned above, makes for more recordings that are extended length and can mess with space available, but I don't have to piece together separate recordings to watch the same show.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #119
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I used to screw around with Sunday night CBS shows like that, but I found it's far simpler just to cancel my SPs. That way, I don't have to dink around and worry about missing anything.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:09 AM   #120
cmontyburns
Excellent.

So it's official... Dan Harmon is out. He'll be a "consulting producer", whatever that means besides "we can't ignore that he created the show but we don't want him around it anymore".

Alan Sepinwall has a good essay discussing this and the (bad) history of shows replacing creators with distinctive voices (think West Wing, Gilmore Girls, etc.).

And Dan Harmon posts his own thoughts on his tumblr:

Quote:
...because nobody called me, and then started hiring people to run the show, I had my assistant start packing up my office days ago. I’m sorry. I’m not saying seasons 1, 2 and 3 were my definition of perfect television, I’m just saying that whatever they’re going to do for season 4, they’re aiming to do without my help. So do not believe anyone that tells you on Monday that I quit or diminished my role so I could spend more time with my loved ones, or that I negotiated and we couldn’t come to an agreement, etc. It couldn’t be less true because, just to make this clear, literally nobody called me.
This makes me sad.

Last edited by cmontyburns : 05-19-2012 at 08:18 AM.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote