TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
sbq

New slide out remote has saved Tivo for me

I got the Premiere XL as soon as it released, and like many others here was severely disappointed in its sluggish performance. When the 2.x update finally came out it seemed to be a big improvement for the speed of the menus, but that speed didn't seem to last. Starting some months after I got the 2.x update I started noticing long delays again, and this time it also impacted SD menus as well as HD menus.

My frustration had been building when I got my new iPad 3 and decided to try the Tivo remote program that was in the iPad app store: no delays or slowness at all. I was stunned, so I tried replacing the batteries in the remote to see if that helped, but it didn't seem to. I started to pay attention to what was going on with the remote and noticed that quite a few times I had to press the buttons just a certain way for them to work, or repeatedly press them. I decided to try the slide out qwerty keyboard remote so I picked one up from Best Buy and hooked up the blue tooth connection on it. The performance is a complete 180, my Tivo is now snappy even in HD menus and the entire thing is now performing as I would expect a $500 appliance to perform.

Besides the obvious thought that the remote that came with the Premiere had started to die (my old S2 remote lasted 6 years without any problems so I never suspected this new standard remote), I also wonder if it isn't related to using infrared for control. I'm going to remove the USB blue tooth connector and try the new remote in infrared mode to see if I notice a difference.
sbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

The Slide remote does cut out a small fraction of a second of time otherwise wasted on IR transmission and decoding with each key press. And it is certainly a noticeable plus when switching to the Slide. But I would hardly characterize it as "The performance is a complete 180" or "is now snappy even in HD menus". My description would be that overall performance improvement in the menus by adding a Slide on a 10 point scale goes from being a 3 to a 4, or maybe a 4 to a 5.

Don't get me wrong, the Slide is an EXCELLENT product, and I can't imagine using the Premiere without it, and it DOES help a little with responsiveness. And I HIGHLY recommend it, to the point that I think TiVo should be bundling it with the Premiere, or at least the non-base models. But I don't want anyone to misread what you are saying and think it is a cure for the sluggish HDUI menus, because it is not.

Last edited by crxssi : 05-16-2012 at 07:04 PM.
crxssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
sbq

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
The Slide remote does cut out a small fraction of a second of time otherwise wasted on IR transmission and decoding with each key press. And it is certainly a noticeable plus when switching to the Slide. But I would hardly characterize it as "The performance is a complete 180" or "is now snappy even in HD menus". My description would be that overall performance improvement in the menus by adding a Slide on a 10 point scale goes from being a 3 to a 4, or maybe a 4 to a 5.

Don't get me wrong, the Slide is an EXCELLENT product, and I can't imagine using the Premiere without it, and it DOES help a little with responsiveness. And I HIGHLY recommend it, to the point that I think TiVo should be bundling it with the Premiere, or at least the non-base models. But I don't want anyone to misread what you are saying and think it is a cure for the sluggish HDUI menus, because it is not.
but for me it *was* a cure for my sluggish HD menu's. I could expect a 5-10 second delay on HD menu changes with the old remote, now it's near instant. Also, one of the big problems I had with the old remote is when it appeared the keypress didn't take so I'd push it again several times, and then all those keypresses would all go through at once causing me to navigate the menus incorrectly.
sbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
brianfuchs

I'm on the fence about the Slide remote.

On the one hand, it was very easy to get used to, and I love not having to point it at a target.

On the other hand, there is a noticeable "wake" delay when you have not pressed a key for several minutes. To save battery power, the Bluetooth transmitter goes into low power mode; it takes a while for it to wake up. That "while" is only about 1/2 second, but it still makes me push that first button a second time, as I instinctively feel that the first one didn't take.

Furthermore, I've had my Premiere freeze up on me twice because of the Slide. It simply stopped responding to any command. The way to fix it was to either reboot or simply unplug the Bluetooth dongle from the back of the Tivo. When the dongle is unplugged, the Tivo "unlocks" and instantly responds to IR commands again.
TiVo 4. Premiere XL
brianfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbq View Post
but for me it *was* a cure for my sluggish HD menu's. I could expect a 5-10 second delay on HD menu changes with the old remote, now it's near instant.
All I can say is that your "results" are inconsistent with not only my experience, but with my friends who have it, and all other postings I have seen on this forum. I suspect you have some confounds in there.

Quote:
Also, one of the big problems I had with the old remote is when it appeared the keypress didn't take so I'd push it again several times, and then all those keypresses would all go through at once causing me to navigate the menus incorrectly.
Ironically, that is called "glitching" by the forum, and is primarily targeted AT the Slide remote. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=463987
Old 05-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianfuchs View Post
On the other hand, there is a noticeable "wake" delay when you have not pressed a key for several minutes. To save battery power, the Bluetooth transmitter goes into low power mode; it takes a while for it to wake up. That "while" is only about 1/2 second, but it still makes me push that first button a second time, as I instinctively feel that the first one didn't take.
This was my experience as well. It needs to include that device that detects movement.
My Harmony 880 "knows" when it has been picked up. You'd think that more modern technology would include something like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
swerver

Count me as a slide worshipper. Sluggish performance with standard remote, completely different with the slide I just got this week for $38. Couldn't be happier about that purchase.

If I could figure a way to get it to power on/off my avr, it would be even better. Think I will try to make it learn that command and program it on the tv input button, don't use that one since I only use one input from avr to tv for everything. Still need the harmony for watching discs or using htpc (also need rii mini for that, sometimes), unfortunately, but the keyboard is worth it. And it lights up, which is a requirement to me. Don't know why anyone makes a remote anymore that doesn't light up.
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

I have a slide remote I got as a gift for helping TiVo with something. I've never even taken it out of the box. I use a Harmony for everything.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #9
smbaker

I love my slide remote. It's one place where Tivo really shined. The only nit I have about it is that the buttons are a little too sensitive.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #10
swerver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I use a Harmony for everything.

Dan
Not typing. I used my rii mini with the tivo and it works for typing, so for a while I was using that with the harmony to cover all the bases, but lately I use the tivo most of the time (as opposed to blu-ray and htpc) so the benefits of the slide outweigh the benefits of the harmony, for me, for now. Of course I keep the harmony and rii handy still! Usage habits can change, of course...
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote