TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
lmw

TiVo is cutting off the beginning of shows

I have a Tivo Premium XL. Recently, I hit 98% and it started cutting off the beginnings of shows, usually by one to five minutes, but sometimes much more. I deleted a bunch of things and reduced it to 88%, hoping that would solve the problem but it didn't--it's still cutting off the beginnings of all my shows. Does anyone know what the problem is? It seems there are a lot of problems with shows cutting off at the end but not the beginning.
lmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Are you using the padding feature for some shows? This can be a problem if you record a lot of back to back shows. The result is the first minute of some shows getting clipped.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:59 PM   #3
lmw

No padding. These are all season passes that have been recording fine all season. Things like CSI, Criminal Minds, and the like. Nothing special about anything--they've just suddenly started getting cut off at the beginning...
Old 05-13-2012, 01:51 AM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Let me clarify, if you have enabled clipping in the Tivo settings, then you are at the mercy of the networks that broadcast shows with an extra minute (Grey's Anatomy for one example) or adjust their schedule slightly just to screw with DVR users.
There are a lot of reasons why recordings could be *off* time wise.

I would suggest that if the beginning of your favorite shows are not being recorded, then you should pad them an extra minute.
Keep in mind that this might result in some of your recordings ending early. It all depends on the priority you have assigned to them.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 05-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
lmw

I understand what clipping is and I can assure you that I have not enabled it. I only record two channels on that TiVo--CBS and NBC--so it's not possible to have a conflict. Each tuner has its own station so if a program runs over it's never a problem. I got sick of dealing with that very thing so I've got two TiVos running on the same television. The other records ABC and Fox. I do record shows, like Game of Thrones, on other channels, but since the cable stations tend to run their shows over and over again, TiVo will just record them at a later time.

As I said, I have been recording these shows all season long and have never had this problem before. It's not recording the first few minutes of shows and showing the recordings as partial. There have even been cases where it starts recording twenty to forty minutes late. This happens even if there's nothing scheduled before or after the program that's being cut off. If I schedule just one recording on any given evening--nothing before or after and nothing on another channel--it will cut it off.

I've owned TiVos for many years and have never had this happen before.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw View Post
I understand what clipping is and I can assure you that I have not enabled it. I only record two channels on that TiVo--CBS and NBC--so it's not possible to have a conflict. Each tuner has its own station so if a program runs over it's never a problem. I got sick of dealing with that very thing so I've got two TiVos running on the same television. The other records ABC and Fox. I do record shows, like Game of Thrones, on other channels, but since the cable stations tend to run their shows over and over again, TiVo will just record them at a later time.

As I said, I have been recording these shows all season long and have never had this problem before. It's not recording the first few minutes of shows and showing the recordings as partial. There have even been cases where it starts recording twenty to forty minutes late. This happens even if there's nothing scheduled before or after the program that's being cut off. If I schedule just one recording on any given evening--nothing before or after and nothing on another channel--it will cut it off.

I've owned TiVos for many years and have never had this happen before.
Check your TiVo clock against your Computer, or does this clipping take place on all your TiVos. If you have no conflicts just start 1 min early and end 1 min later.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
lmw

I checked the clock, which is fine. I also restarted, which made no difference. The clipping only takes place on that one particular box.

I don't want to set my programs minutes later and earlier--I want to fix the problem. I will not bow to the box, I will make it bow to me!

This began happening when I approached maximum capacity and I have a strong hunch that has something to do with it.

Thanks, by the way, for your help Les and Steve. Do you have any more ideas? This is driving me crazy! Especially since it's season finale week. One thing or another happens every year at this time to screw up my programming--I think it's bad juju.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
mr.unnatural

Quote:
I don't want to set my programs minutes later and earlier--I want to fix the problem. I will not bow to the box, I will make it bow to me!
And a Redneck's last words are "Hey y'all, watch this!"

Quote:
This began happening when I approached maximum capacity and I have a strong hunch that has something to do with it.
Reaching maximum capacity will affect what shows will be recorded due to lack of storage capacity, but I've never heard of it causing shows to be clipped. Worst case is that it will cause the Tivo to act a bit sluggish in response to remote commands, but that's about all. Suck it up and pad your recordings like the rest of us. Otherwise, enjoy your clipped recordings and stop griping.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
lessd

Quote:
I checked the clock, which is fine. I also restarted, which made no difference. The clipping only takes place on that one particular box.

Thanks, by the way, for your help Les and Steve. Do you have any more ideas? This is driving me crazy! Especially since it's season finale week. One thing or another happens every year at this time to screw up my programming--I think it's bad juju.
On the offending TiVo, did you check your clock to the second from your computer time just after using the Internet to set your computer clock. Outside of that, padding is the only thing i can think of, as one of my TiVos is full to the point of deleting a old show before recording a new one and no 1 min. problem as your having. Bend for a month by padding until you can find the problem.

OH try recording the same program on two different TiVos and see if the problem is the same as the local rebroadcast could be off by a minute. I have heard about a 20 second difference on say a presidential speech from two different network channels as we may be watching from two different rooms

Old 05-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #10
lmw

Okay, I'll bend. I'll try padding tonight and let you know if it works.

I've tried recording the same program on another TiVo and it works fine.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:09 PM   #11
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
There have even been cases where it starts recording twenty to forty minutes late.
This makes me think there may be a problem with the signal. Have you noticed the red recording light on at the intended start time to later find it a partial recording? Can you check the signal strength in the Diagnostics section of the Tivo? It may be caused by the signal dropping out only to be picked up sometime during the recording resulting in a partial program.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #12
lmw

That's exactly what happens. The red light is on the whole time but the recording ends up partial.

I tightened up all the cables. The signal strength is reading from 70-72.

Great suggestion, thanks Whiskey. Although if it were the signal, why is it just cutting off the beginning and not the middle or the end...? I'll cross my fingers and see what happens tonight.

I did program 60 Minutes with a 2-minute padding at the beginning and it seems to be fine so far (it's not over yet). I'll still have the problem with the other shows though because I've got things going on both tuners tonight. If I pad the beginnings of the shows after 60 Minutes, then it tells me I can't because both tuners are working already. You can't tell a program to end early or start late, so I'm kind of screwed...
Old 05-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #13
lessd

Quote:
That's exactly what happens. The red light is on the whole time but the recording ends up partial.

I tightened up all the cables. The signal strength is reading from 70-72.

Great suggestion, thanks Whiskey. Although if it were the signal, why is it just cutting off the beginning and not the middle or the end...? I'll cross my fingers and see what happens tonight.

I did program 60 Minutes with a 2-minute padding at the beginning and it seems to be fine so far (it's not over yet). I'll still have the problem with the other shows though because I've got things going on both tuners tonight. If I pad the beginnings of the shows after 60 Minutes, then it tells me I can't because both tuners are working already. You can't tell a program to end early or start late, so I'm kind of screwed...
Try a test, record some program at say 7pm, but be watching the station on your TiVo a few minutes before 7pm, have a watch with a second hand set to your computer time to the second. Now when 7pm comes see if the red light come on, see if there is any interruption in the program your watching live, at about 704PM go back to your play list (hit the TiVo button twice) and start watching the show, did the record light come on at exactly 7pm, and did the show start at exactly at 7pm, and when you start watching the recorded show does it start a minute late, I would like the answer to this.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #14
mr.unnatural

Quote:
You can't tell a program to end early or start late, so I'm kind of screwed...
Actually, you can if you have your recordings set up to be clipped. If you're recording back-to-back shows on the same channel then you can always set up a manual recording with the start time set a couple minutes before the first show and ending a couple minutes after the 2nd show. You can also set up a recording for just the first show and then pad it by at least an hour after it ends to pick up the 2nd show.

My philosophy with regards to recording is that you can never have too many tuners. I used to have multiple Tivos just so I could pad recordings and avoid the very problems you're having. Problem is, having lots of Tivos gets expensive in a hurry, which is why I migrated to a Media Center PC. My HTPC currently has access to seven cablecard tuners for recording from FIOS and six ATSC tuners for OTA recording. I only have to pay for the extra tuners and not another box with a Tivo subscription so it's much more cost effective when you start getting beyond four tuners. Suffice it to say that missing a program is never an issue for me. I pad everything 10 minutes before and 10 minutes after (I have to pad it by 10 minutes at each end due to an issue with WMC or else shows get clipped).
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #15
lpwcomp

This sounds like maybe the TiVo is crashing and rebooting, except that I would expect some split recordings.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:31 AM   #16
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
This sounds like maybe the TiVo is crashing and rebooting, except that I would expect some split recordings.
The re-boot is faster but not 1 minute, he has to do the test I suggested a few posts back and see what happens.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:04 AM   #17
lpwcomp

Clean out the recently deleted folder. Also, do you have TA attached? I ask because this does sound like a signal problem.

lessd, I am perfectly aware of how long a boot takes and that crashes and reboots are unlikely, especially if it is cutting off both beginnings of back-to-back shows. However, your theory that it could be a timing problem can't explain the occasions when it starts 20-40 minutes late. Also, the TiVo wouldn't report it as a "partial" recording.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #18
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Clean out the recently deleted folder. Also, do you have TA attached? I ask because this does sound like a signal problem.

lessd, I am perfectly aware of how long a boot takes and that crashes and reboots are unlikely, especially if it is cutting off both beginnings of back-to-back shows. However, your theory that it could be a timing problem can't explain the occasions when it starts 20-40 minutes late. Also, the TiVo wouldn't report it as a "partial" recording.
I had not considered a TA, that could be important if had a delay in working for some reason.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #19
lmw

Sorry--the last two days have been killlers.

Yes, I have a tuner.

Les, I did what you suggested. I watched the program on live TV while TiVo was recording it. The signal was fine but the recording was still cut off.

I have had some success when I play a recording while a show is at the very beginning and then exit out. If I go back and resume it'll be fine. BUT sometimes it no longer says resume--it says play even though I backed out earlier. In those cases the beginning is cut off.

There have been no cut-offs late in the show in the last few days. Now they seem to be under a minute, which I can live with. I'd still like to know what the heck the problem is though...
Old 05-16-2012, 10:01 PM   #20
lessd

Quote:
Sorry--the last two days have been killlers.

Yes, I have a tuner.

Les, I did what you suggested. I watched the program on live TV while TiVo was recording it. The signal was fine but the recording was still cut off.

I have had some success when I play a recording while a show is at the very beginning and then exit out. If I go back and resume it'll be fine. BUT sometimes it no longer says resume--it says play even though I backed out earlier. In those cases the beginning is cut off.

There have been no cut-offs late in the show in the last few days. Now they seem to be under a minute, which I can live with. I'd still like to know what the heck the problem is though...
Did the record light come on at the start of the show ?

Old 05-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #21
lmw

Yes, it did.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #22
lessd

Quote:
Yes, it did.
OK now I call uncle!! as I am at a loss as to how this could happen, something going on in your setup that not going on in the rest of the TiVos' community setups but i don't know what it is.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #23
lpwcomp

Quote:
Yes, it did.
Just so we're clear, you were watching "live TV" through the TiVo? In that case, it makes even less sense. You are always watching a recording, even if it is just the live buffer. Maybe you have some weird disk gremlin who is throwing away part of the disk h/w buffer on a new recording, and not writing it to the disk. "Nightmare at 32 Million Bytes".

The only thing I can think to try that would perhaps be fairly easy is to swap the TA's. I can't see how it would cause this problem but I can't think of anything that would that hasn't been eliminated.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #24
lmw

Disk gremlins and uncle--LOL!

In all the years I've had TiVos I've never had to ask for help because I always found a way to solve the problem. If I can't figure it out myself I come to this forum--so far I've always found an answer here. But this one has me completely stumped--and now you too! Maybe it IS gremlins!

The last time I fiddled with the TAs I lost reception on my other TiVo for several hours! They're behind the TV in the giant mass of wires (they run so hot I keep them away from everything). Next time I have to move the 600 lb. TV stand with the giant TV and all its boxes, I'll try that. If the problem ever resolves or I find a way to solve it, I'll let you know.

Thanks for everything.
Linda
Old 05-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #25
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Are we talking Premiere XL here?

Report this in TiVo Margret's update thread and/or crxssi's change log thread.

E-mail TiVo Margret your TSN along with a description of the problem.

Sidenote:
TiVo seems to be making an effort to get this place (TCF) back to how it used to be, I just hope history doesn't end up repeating itself.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 05-17-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #26
lmw

Will do. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:43 PM   #27
lrhorer

Quote:
This began happening when I approached maximum capacity
There is no such thing as "maximum capacity" on a TiVo. There is only, "Zero unused space". Zero unused space is the optimum recording state for a TiVo.

Quote:
and I have a strong hunch that has something to do with it.
Not functionally, it doesn't.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote