Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #61
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
In the first episode, with the door in the bar---I thought the bar had a back door that went out to the alley...
The door to the alley is on the wall on the right (from the TV viewer's point of view), right next to the bar counter.

The new door that the story was about was on the "fourth wall".

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #62
busyba
The Funcooker

In the flashback to Ted remembering the time they helped Lilly shoplift beer, when they drove up in their old POS car, you could hear 500 Miles playing. That was a callback to the episode about that car and how the tape player was busted and had a cassette single of that song stuck in there so that was all they could listen to.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #63
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
In the flashback to Ted remembering the time they helped Lilly shoplift beer, when they drove up in their old POS car, you could hear 500 Miles playing. That was a callback to the episode about that car and how the tape player was busted and had a cassette single of that song stuck in there so that was all they could listen to.
The 500 miles episode was one of my favorites of the series.

I said to my wife, the door they were all going into was a closet.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #64
markymark_ctown

So, have they confirmed that next season is the last?

Saw Cobie Smolders on a show last week and she mentioned she was sad that they wouldn't be working together after next year...
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #65
Sparty99

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark_ctown View Post
So, have they confirmed that next season is the last?

Saw Cobie Smolders on a show last week and she mentioned she was sad that they wouldn't be working together after next year...
I don't think it's been officially confirmed but I believe that's the assumption. I relieve Segel's been ready to leave for his movie career for quite some time.

And if not they're really going to have to address the mother one way or another next season. Keep in mind they recently did a "flash forward" to three years from now and Ted's had his daughter. If we keep with the timelines you'd have to imagine that the pregnancy would take place in the 2014-15 season, so unless they want to spring a, "So I knocked your mom up and we had to get married, and that's how I met your mother," surprise on us, we're going to have to meet the mother next season for any kind of realistic courtship.

Does that make sense or is that nonsensical rambling?

Sparty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #66
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty99 View Post
I don't think it's been officially confirmed but I believe that's the assumption. I relieve Segel's been ready to leave for his movie career for quite some time.

And if not they're really going to have to address the mother one way or another next season. Keep in mind they recently did a "flash forward" to three years from now and Ted's had his daughter. If we keep with the timelines you'd have to imagine that the pregnancy would take place in the 2014-15 season, so unless they want to spring a, "So I knocked your mom up and we had to get married, and that's how I met your mother," surprise on us, we're going to have to meet the mother next season for any kind of realistic courtship.

Does that make sense or is that nonsensical rambling?
Makes perfect sense. They've spent seven seasons drilling into us that Ted is a romantic and that he's looking for "the one" and that he wants to get married and settle down. There's no way he then just knocks up some girl and decides to get married on a whim to someone he hasn't had a long courtship with.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #67
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Quote:
But rabbits are cooler.
Nice.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #68
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Saw Segel on one of the talk shows and he showed that clip, except it was a blooper and when he was supposed to peel out and take off, he stalled it out.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #69
Sparty99

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Makes perfect sense. They've spent seven seasons drilling into us that Ted is a romantic and that he's looking for "the one" and that he wants to get married and settle down. There's no way he then just knocks up some girl and decides to get married on a whim to someone he hasn't had a long courtship with.
Totally agree.

Let's take this a little further. The flash forward episode ran in April, which would presume the baby was born in February 2015 (to account for sweeps and everything), and the mother would announce she's pregnant in May 2014 (again, sweeps). So let's say the latest Ted got married was that May 2014 date and the mother announces she's pregnant there. Then the question becomes what is the shortest courtship possible for Ted and the mother before they get married? If we keep going with the sweeps theme, they'd get engaged either in November 2013 or February 2014. That means if we meet the mother in next season's finale, they'd be dating for a year before they got married/announced they were pregnant (not unreasonable at his age). So even if next season isn't the end of the series, unless they stop moving with the current calendar (a BS move), the mother would almost have to be introduced one way or another sometime next year.

I know I'm probably over analyzing this, but work isn't tremendously exciting right now.

Sparty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #70
aindik

If the discussion above is accurate, then there won't be any episodes that air after May of 2013.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #71
wouldworker
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
If the discussion above is accurate, then there won't be any episodes that air after May of 2013.
Only if you believe that the show must end when the mother is revealed. I don't think it has to. There have been many episodes that didn't advance the "how I met your mother" story. By your logic, do those episodes not exist?

[Note that I said that the show doesn't have to end when the mother is revealed, not that the show won't end at that point.]
wouldworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #72
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouldworker View Post
Only if you believe that the show must end when the mother is revealed. I don't think it has to. There have been many episodes that didn't advance the "how I met your mother" story. By your logic, do those episodes not exist?

[Note that I said that the show doesn't have to end when the mother is revealed, not that the show won't end at that point.]
My logic?

The discussion above is that there's only one season left. I wasn't making a point about what they're going to do during that season, other than the point that, if that's true, they're going to have to deviate from the near-real-time timeline if they're going to show us things that happen after May of 2013.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #73
wouldworker
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
My logic?

The discussion above is that there's only one season left. I wasn't making a point about what they're going to do during that season, other than the point that, if that's true, they're going to have to deviate from the near-real-time timeline if they're going to show us things that happen after May of 2013.
I thought that the discussion you were referring to was the post immediately before yours. Now I see what you were saying.
wouldworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #74
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouldworker View Post
I thought that the discussion you were referring to was the post immediately before yours. Now I see what you were saying.
I was replying to that post by referring to discussion above it.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #75
TheDewAddict
No Mercy

I was supremely let down when they revealed the bride was Robin. My wife and I really liked Quinn, she seemed to be a perfect match for Barney. I hate when TV shows do this, spend a bunch of episodes building up a character so the audience likes them, and then ditch them in 1 episode. I assume we'll see some of Quinn next season, but who knows. I'm over Ted & Robin, and Barney & Robin. I don't mind Victoria, but I hate that Ted is back in a relationship that we know goes nowhere.
TheDewAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #76
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCantAngieRead

Yeah. It just seems gimmicky somehow.
Okay. The people who make the show said it was Barney's wedding in an article. Ain't spoilerizing that cause it is about this episode.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #77
busyba
The Funcooker

BTW... was anyone even the least bit surprised when the Robin "reveal" took place?

To me, it was like they foreshadowed it with a giant neon anvil in the few minutes before it happened.

It was so blatant that I was half-expecting it to have been a fake-out and the bride would have been Quinn anyway.

Now if it ended up being Nora.... that would have been a surprise.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #78
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Okay. The people who make the show said it was Barney's wedding in an article. Ain't spoilerizing that cause it is about this episode.
We've known it was Barney's wedding ever since the season premiere from this season. The only questions have been:

1. who the bride was, and now that's been answered.

2. who the mother is, since Ted meets her at the wedding. Hopefully that's answered next season.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #79
smak
TV MA SLV

Quote:
BTW... was anyone even the least bit surprised when the Robin "reveal" took place?

To me, it was like they foreshadowed it with a giant neon anvil in the few minutes before it happened.

It was so blatant that I was half-expecting it to have been a fake-out and the bride would have been Quinn anyway.

Now if it ended up being Nora.... that would have been a surprise.
Not even close to being surprised. The bride wanting to see Ted was the giveaway, there hasn't been any real relationship between Ted & Nora or Quinn for them to want to see Ted right before their wedding.

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #80
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
I'll believe it when I see it!!

Nah, not really. I really wouldn't be surprised with anything, I suppose.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:50 PM   #81
alpacaboy

I've forgotten - what's the connection between the mother and the wedding?

For some reason, I thought Ted said he met the mother at the wedding, but that may have been a season ago, and I'm probably not remembering it right. Maybe it was more vague, like if not for the wedding, I wouldn't have met...

But if that's the case, then the mother isn't Victoria, right?
alpacaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:52 PM   #82
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpacaboy View Post
I've forgotten - what's the connection between the mother and the wedding?

For some reason, I thought Ted said he met the mother at the wedding, but that may have been a season ago, and I'm probably not remembering it right. Maybe it was more vague, like if not for the wedding, I wouldn't have met...

But if that's the case, then the mother isn't Victoria, right?
You are correct.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:25 PM   #83
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpacaboy View Post
Ted said he met the mother at the wedding
They never said 'met for the first time'. What if they just drove different cars, and met each other at the wedding? Like "I need to run by the bakery, I'll meet you at the wedding".
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:39 PM   #84
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
They never said 'met for the first time'. What if they just drove different cars, and met each other at the wedding? Like "I need to run by the bakery, I'll meet you at the wedding".
You might be right, but the way they implied it was he meets her for the first time.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #85
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
You might be right, but the way they implied it was he meets her for the first time.
Yes, but as we know, Ted is a ******, and so it would be just like him to keep telling his kids a story long after he revealed who the mother was.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:52 AM   #86
Amnesia
The Question

Talking about the whole "telling the kids a story" element:

I really enjoy when we see future-Ted altering the story (like Ted eating a sandwich while Marshall stapled himself) or admitting that he's not sure what happened (like the guard's magic trick at the security checkpoint)
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:18 AM   #87
busyba
The Funcooker

Speaking of the TSA guy's magic trick (the second one, the simple card trick), the card being the three of clubs was almost certainly a shout-out to Penn & Teller.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #88
scsiguy72
OTA Only..Free TV

Maybe I missed it, but why was Barney wearing the Ducky tie in Atlantic City? This should have been long after he was let out of the bet with Marshal.

scsiguy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #89
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsiguy72 View Post
Maybe I missed it, but why was Barney wearing the Ducky tie in Atlantic City? This should have been long after he was let out of the bet with Marshal.
He offered to wear it if Marshall would agree to get drunk.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #90
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsiguy72 View Post
He made a deal with Marshal. Marshal would get belligerent drunk in exchange for Barney wearing the tie.