TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-16-2012, 12:14 AM   #1
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Glee "Props; Nationals" (5/15/2012, Spoilers)

The first hour, for me, was just meh. Good music, but the episode didn't have very good flow at all. Even though it added to the odd pacing of the episode, I'm glad that the swap segment was as short as it was. It was good as a one off joke, but I think a whole episode of that would've been way too over the top. Some of the swaps were inspired (seriously, who would've thought that Darren Criss would make that good of a Puck? Or Harry Shum Jr. pulling off Joe's dreadlocks?) and some were just WTF (What kind of drugs were they on when they made Kevin play Brittany?).

The second hour, though... very, very good. Although, was I the only one who thought it was a little too fairy-tale ending, almost like you expected it to be one giant dream sequence? I mean, having Carmen Thibideau show up, them winning Nationals, the whole school (including everyone who hated them) suddenly congratulating them, and Will Schuster go from being a rubbish Spanish teacher to Teacher of the Year? It was a bit much.

I did like seeing Sue singing along with the New Directions as they perfomed "We Are the Champions." I'm not sure I can swallow the total about-face they did with Sue this season, sending her to Character Rehab... but I'm glad they did it. Having a likable but blunt Sue is so much better than the hateful Sue that we had for so long. We're back to the Sue that I liked when she was briefly principal.

Last edited by LoadStar : 05-16-2012 at 12:27 AM.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:24 AM   #2
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Tina is an average vocalist, at least for this show.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:54 AM   #3
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

The trophy scene reminded me of Mario Kart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
I'm glad they did it. Having a likable but blunt Sue is so much better than the hateful Sue that we had for so long. We're back to the Sue that I liked when she was briefly principal.
I sort of bought into it because of her pregnancy.

My blog:
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #4
MarkofT

Quote:
The first hour, for me, was just meh. Good music, but the episode didn't have very good flow at all. Even though it added to the odd pacing of the episode, I'm glad that the swap segment was as short as it was. It was good as a one off joke, but I think a whole episode of that would've been way too over the top. Some of the swaps were inspired (seriously, who would've thought that Darren Criss would make that good of a Puck? Or Harry Shum Jr. pulling off Joe's dreadlocks?) and some were just WTF (What kind of drugs were they on when they made Kevin play Brittany?).
I thought that Amber was Brittany and he was playing Santana. The [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Props_(Glee)Wikipedia page for this episode[/url] agrees with me.

Quote:
The second hour, though... very, very good. Although, was I the only one who thought it was a little too fairy-tale ending, almost like you expected it to be one giant dream sequence? I mean, having Carmen Thibideau show up, them winning Nationals, the whole school (including everyone who hated them) suddenly congratulating them, and Will Schuster go from being a rubbish Spanish teacher to Teacher of the Year? It was a bit much.
I was disappointed that they dropped the play by play part of "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights", but then again I was kinda shocked that they did the song at all considering the plot of the song.
MarkofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #5
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofT View Post
I thought that Amber was Brittany and he was playing Santana. The [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Props_(Glee)Wikipedia page for this episode[/url] agrees with me.
You're right. Either way, very odd choice.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #6
TriBruin

Quote:

I did like seeing Sue singing along with the New Directions as they perfomed "We Are the Champions." I'm not sure I can swallow the total about-face they did with Sue this season, sending her to Character Rehab... but I'm glad they did it. Having a likable but blunt Sue is so much better than the hateful Sue that we had for so long. We're back to the Sue that I liked when she was briefly principal.
Agree with almost everything you said here.

Props felt that someone must have realized that Tina was non-existant this season and should get an episode before the season ended. Her dream was just weird. I also didn't like that we say the "all-about-me" Racheal again. I thought she had finally gotten past this? I was glad to see closer on Biest and her husband. I was really thinking she was going to stab him. But, I am sorry, Puck and her version of "Mean" was painful.

Nationals was just fun, but Vocal Adrenialine was just flat out better and should have won. But, this has been setup for the last three seasons. There was no way ND was not going to win Nationals this year. (But is Paradise by the Dashboard Light an appropriate song for a High School Glee Club? I know, this is Glee.)

I was glad to see that they gave all the Seniors some solo time (except for Mike Chang) in Nationals (and WATCs).
TriBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBruin View Post
But, I am sorry, Puck and her version of "Mean" was painful.
I didn't think it was bad at all. (Possibly better than the original, but then again, I *hate* Taylor Swift. *Haaaaaaaaaaate*)

Quote:
Nationals was just fun, but Vocal Adrenialine was just flat out better and should have won.
Choreography, hands down they were better. But of course they're better... those are all professional dancers, not singers. All they have to do is lipsynch well to someone else's vocals. Vocally, Vocal Adrenaline depended almost solely on "Unique," and once you get past the gimmick of the whole transgender thing, it wasn't all that impressive of a vocal performance at all.

I enjoyed Pinball Wizard, but more for the instrumentation than the vocal performance. (Love the piano in that song.) I hated "Starships," but especially for the ham-handed way they had to clean up the vulgarities in the song.

ETA: what I also hated about "Starships" was that they took a song whose hook (the "higher than a mother---" in the original) depends on pitch-bending and other electronic effects and tried to do it vocally. It sounded ridiculous, and frankly a little grating.

Last edited by LoadStar : 05-16-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #8
Langree
The Gimp

For those that may not know, the actor playing "Unique" was on the Glee Project.

He's not really acting a part in regards to "I want to wear a dress and sing". This is pretty much really him. He see's himself as a diva and the next Mercedes.

I really hope the don't make him a regular cast member next year.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
For those that may not know, the actor playing "Unique" was on the Glee Project.

He's not really acting a part in regards to "I want to wear a dress and sing". This is pretty much really him. He see's himself as a diva and the next Mercedes.

I'm betting they do... he did say (that due to the niceness/fairness/etc of the ND kids) he might have to switch schools next year.

I was a little surprised that they did the racy Paradise song, but their singing and running around was great. I listen to pop radio and don't buy pop albums, so I almost never get to hear the 'raw' version of those songs. Imagine my shock when Yahoo radio gave me the unedited version of Golddigger. I had been trying to figure out what a "broke-de-broke" was. I didn't realize Starships was an edit too.

Come join us <dates TBD>!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
I didn't realize Starships was an edit too.
Yeah, Starships is a current single by Nicki Minaj, a hip-hop/rap artist. Her music is generally not particularly clean. Starships is actually one of her cleanest songs. There are only two bits that have to be censored for the radio - the aforementioned "higher than a motherf---" which turns into "higher than a <electronically garbled lyrics>." The other is a section that originally is "f--- who you want, f--- who you like," which turns into "check who you want, check who you like" in the radio airplay version.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #11
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:

Why not? They can treat him like they treat Tina Sugar now - just keep him in the background most of the time, and drag him out when they need a song.

One thing I'm glad they did - when they presented the "MVP" award, they made it quite clear that "she" was a he by including the character's real name rather than just - well, is it spelled "Unique" or "Uniq"?
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #12
Tracy
Truly

If New Directions had begun practicing for Nationals more than a week ahead of time, maybe they would have had better choreography. Good thing Quin became unparalyzed last week and was able to dance this week. And one last rant....

We see these students wearing the most amazing costumes for each performance...and for auditions, and for rehearsals of songs that never get performed anywhere, and for whole musicals that just get performed for themselves, and for private numbers just for one targeted person who happens to walk in to the auditorium at the right moment as they are performing it with a 12 piece orchestra.....and now we are told that those costumes were designed and sewn by Tina and Sugar and the Irish dude? Come on! Churning out 15 or so dresses and 8 mens costumes in a week would be tough for a professional crew of that size. Grrr.

I don't like the way they trot out the dancing girls of the "Treble Tones" when it is convenient, but then they aren't a part of the class or the celebrations.

I also really dislike the way they took Coach Biest's romance with Cooter. At first it was such a nice story, then they had Sue steal him away and now this whole wife beating thing....such a drag to what started out so enjoyable.

I did like the body switcheroo thing. That was fun. I liked the songs that New Directions performed. I thought they did a nice job cutting up Paradise by the Dashboard Light to a manageable length. I didn't like Unique. I can't imagine that show choir is all about spotlighting one singer like that. They would have to show way more depth to get as far as they did.

I do think it is great the way the show has actually used the winners of the Glee Project. Normally something like that would result in a tiny throwaway appearance in the real show.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #13
Drewster
Shooting blanks

I had been wondering where Eric Stoltz was this season. Turns out he directed "Nationals" and last week's "Prom-a-saurus".

Hmmm. Also "Big Brother", which I didn't care for at all. I usually love Stolz's episodes.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #14
Lori
Social Defective

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Why not? They can treat him like they treat Tina Sugar now - just keep him in the background most of the time, and drag him out when they need a song.

One thing I'm glad they did - when they presented the "MVP" award, they made it quite clear that "she" was a he by including the character's real name rather than just - well, is it spelled "Unique" or "Uniq"?
Why wouldn't it be OK if he were just a regular new cast member? Not 'kept in the background' any more than any of the rest of the GP kids are 'kept in the background''?

And in all the promotional materials, her name is spelled "Unique".

"It is not the size of our army that shall lead us to victory. It is the undeniable righteousness of our cause... "--JAB
Lori is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #15
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori View Post
Why wouldn't it be OK if he were just a regular new cast member? Not 'kept in the background' any more than any of the rest of the GP kids are 'kept in the background''?

And in all the promotional materials, her name is spelled "Unique".
I find him annoying, he was annoying on TGP and I don't see it being any different here. Dealing so heavily with all the Kurtcentric eps, I fear a repeat with this guy.

Oh, and it is a him, he is not transgender, he just likes to perform in dresses.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #16
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Oh, and it is a him, he is not transgender, he just likes to perform in dresses.
Transgender includes a wide variety of gender identity issues. It is fair to call him transgender.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #17
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Transgender includes a wide variety of gender identity issues. It is fair to call him transgender.
ok well, my mistake, but he hasn't identified himself as such.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #18
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Yeah, Starships is a current single by Nicki Minaj, a hip-hop/rap artist. Her music is generally not particularly clean. Starships is actually one of her cleanest songs. There are only two bits that have to be censored for the radio - the aforementioned "higher than a motherf---" which turns into "higher than a <electronically garbled lyrics>." The other is a section that originally is "f--- who you want, f--- who you like," which turns into "check who you want, check who you like" in the radio airplay version.
Unique kept singing "Higher than [something I don't remember]" and I don't think I'd ever noticed it on the radio. I don't think stations should edit. If it's too dirty to release on the radio, it shouldn't get played. I personally have nothing against profanity (I'm quite fluent ): I have something against releasing a song that becomes an unintelligible mess when you have to edit out half of it.

One DFW radio station has started editing Adele's Rolling in the Deep... now. What a joke. She says "I'll lay your sh-t bare" and has since the song was released in 2010 , but within the last few weeks they started deleting that word. Lame.

Come join us <dates TBD>!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #19
Lori
Social Defective

Remember when they sang it on Glee, they claimed that the lyric was "I'll lay your SHIP bare" which is hilarious. They sang it correctly, though...they just bamboozled standards and practices.

"It is not the size of our army that shall lead us to victory. It is the undeniable righteousness of our cause... "--JAB
Old 05-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #20
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
I don't think stations should edit.
FWIW, the stations themselves don't edit the songs, the song's producer makes a radio-friendly version specifically for airplay.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #21
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

I liked the Nationals episode a lot. I am glad they won, even if the New Directions might have been a bit better. Liked seeing "Lloyd" as a judge. Was it a bit TOO sappy that they won, AND got praise from everyone at school AND then gave Will teacher of the year? Maybe. But I did enjoy the "We are the Champions" performance.

jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #22
Lori
Social Defective

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
I liked the Nationals episode a lot. I am glad they won, even if the New Directions might have been a bit better. Liked seeing "Lloyd" as a judge. Was it a bit TOO sappy that they won, AND got praise from everyone at school AND then gave Will teacher of the year? Maybe. But I did enjoy the "We are the Champions" performance.
I also loved the WATC performance. I thought that it was an incredibly strong vocal from Cory.