TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-12-2012, 12:58 AM   #1
john4200

The Mentalist "Red Rover, Red Rover" 2012-May-10

So, it looks like Jane has finally gone off the rails.

But I don't buy it. I think he is up to something. Somehow he is trying to find or lure Red John. I just don't know how.

I think there still must be someone associated with RJ in the CBI. The assassin/kidnapper from last season went into Bertram's room, but she had rope and O'Laughlin's room was right below (too bad they didn't space the rooms out some more, doh!).

But RJ somehow knew about the meeting at the Mall foodcourt, at least he knew enough to get the imposter to go there and be seen by Jane. I don't think O'Laughlin knew about the Mall meeting. I think the only people who knew about it were Lisbon's team, Jane, and Bertram. Bertram didn't know the location until Jane took him there, but I suppose he could have set things up to have the imposter follow him there.

Anyway, my best guess is that Jane is trying to catch someone in the CBI. Maybe he thinks the new boss is a RJ associate and that is why he provoked him.

Last edited by john4200 : 05-12-2012 at 01:07 AM.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:46 AM   #2
Thom

I think he wants Red John to come out to gloat at Jane losing the "game."
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

I wish they had ditched the baby storyline. At least the hooker is gone and Cho is back to being Cho.

Yes. Jane's breakdown is a ploy. Jane is the smartest man in the world, who can quote from books he's never read, and is master even of fields he has never studied. Well, maybe not smarter than Red John, who can enter any building, control any computer, and manipulate any police force in the nation.

I guess I don't know. What I do know is that Jane will likely say something unnecessarily rude to someone in the future, but still remain charming.
Fool Me Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

I still love this show and Patrick Jane. And I credit Simon Baker for Jane being able to be the world's biggest ass and yet remain utterly charming. Previews for next week's finale looks ... Interesting.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I think he provoked his firing to get his friends out of the way of a showdown with Red John.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I think he provoked his firing to get his friends out of the way of a showdown with Red John.
+100

My wife asked what he was doing, and I said that he wants everyone, including Red John to think he's gone over the edge. He has a cunning plan!

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
My wife asked what he was doing, and I said that he wants everyone, including Red John to think he's gone over the edge. He has a cunning plan!
Red Adder, Red Adder!
Old 05-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
astrohip
Stuart F

Unrelated to this episode, but Mentalist news...

The Mentalist is moving to Sunday night next season (fall 2012). In the 10/9C time slot.

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
markz
Hilarity Ensues

I couldn't believe he decked that guy with a shovel!

Wouldn't that be awesome to find out that Van Pelt, Cho, or Rigsby was the inside RJ contact!?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
TheMerk
Always Bid First

I just became aware of a contingent of Mentalist fans who believe that Red John is...

Spoiler:
Patrick Jane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/

TheMerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #11
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMerk View Post
I just became aware of a contingent of Mentalist fans who believe that Red John is...

Patrick Jane
Yes, people have been saying that for a while. I will be VERY disappointed with the writers if they go that route, since the way the show has been portraying RJ for years does not fit with Jane being RJ. The only way that would be satisfying would be if the showrunners had been very carefully staging every on-camera situation where Jane or RJ were alone to make it plausible that Jane is RJ. Something like was done well in Sixth Sense. But that has not been done in The Mentalist.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #12
Church AV Guy

Red John has had many followers, who later saw Jane and none of them ever made any indication that they recognized Jane as RJ, or that Jane recognized any of them before meeting them in that episode. Using him for RJ would be a colossal cop-out.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
Red John has had many followers, who later saw Jane and none of them ever made any indication that they recognized Jane as RJ (...)
He could be using a cut-out, like that guy who he killed last year who he thought was RJ...no, wait...
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #14
TheMerk
Always Bid First

For the record, I don't buy into that theory.

As mentioned earlier it would be a huge cop out, plus Patrick Jane is such an endearing character that revealing him as an evil mastermind killer would be a huge FU to the viewers.

/
/
/

Last edited by TheMerk : 05-16-2012 at 07:24 PM.
TheMerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #15
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMerk View Post
As mentioned earlier it would be a huge cop out, plus Patrick Jane is such an endearing character that revealing him as an evil mastermind killer would be a huge FU to the viewers.
Although he has been generally portrayed as a charming sociopath.

But that would be going too far, and make no sense in light of his actions.