TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > Developers Corner
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-20-2012, 10:09 PM   #61
species8472jj

That was one problem - thank you. I just removed those server/port lines, so it just defaults to the pytivo. But I still have a problem. The original problem is when I would play a track, the time index would hang at 0:00. Now, the progress bar does tick away, however I am not getting any sound. I tried multiple tracks, and I keep getting the same result. Thanks in advance for the help.
species8472jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #62
jbernardis

Now that's an interesting problem. Jukebox does not actually play the song. It just sends the stream url to the tivo, and then updates its display based on status messages that the tivo sends. The fact that the progress bar ticks away indicates that the tivo THINKS it is playing the file. If you are not getting any sound, the problem is probably with the tivo. There was a suggestion earlier to reboot the tivo - perhaps that would help here.
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:42 AM   #63
species8472jj

First of all, your response time is lightning fast. I really appreciate all the help you've given me.

Second, rebooting the TiVo worked. Big Thank you. I love
Harmonium, and this is a new and improved version of it.

Third, where do I find the lyrics feature? I don't see an option when I'm playing tracks.

And fourth, a couple minor suggestions. One minor feature Harmonium had is when you have large list of songs and hit the "1" key it would take you 10% through the list, "2" key to about 20% through the list and so on.

Another thing in Harmonium is when an artist had a "the" before their name such as The B-52's, Harmonium would alphabetize that as "B" for B-52's as opposed to "T" for the.

These are a couple nice perks Harmonium has.

And finally - very nice application. Great work and thank you.

Last edited by species8472jj : 04-21-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #64
jbernardis

The lyrics feature is via the info button - just press it while a song is playing and its lyrics will show up. You can also press it while browsing the catalog, and the lyrics for the currently viewed song will be retrieved.

It isn't perfect, there will/may be songs it cannot find lyrics for, and for those, you can create your own local lyrics file. The details are in the README file starting about line 156.

Your suggestions are noted. I already do those things for vidmgr, my other pyhme app, so porting the logic shouldn't be too bad.

Glad you like it, and glad we got it working.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #65
jbernardis

species8472jj:

A question about the removal of articles (a, an, the) from band names. Is this juat about alphabetization? Or is this also about recognizing that a song with artist "Clash" should be combined with a song by artist "The Clash"?

If it's just sorting, then it should be relatively easy to do. Using the above esample, you'd have two groups in the list - "Clash" and "The Clash".

If it's a request to combine the two, then that's a little tougher, and it raises questions about which name should rule. Should I choose "Clash" or "The Clash".

Right now I'm leaning towards just the sorting. This approach has the added advantage that it will show you where your metadata is inconsistent. The second approach will hide the inconsistencies.

P.S. Using the number keys to step through the list in a percentage fashion has already been implemented by "borrowing" about 10 lines of code from vidmgr. It is still to be tested, though, so don't go looking for it yet.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #66
species8472jj

To answer your question, I am thinking about the removal of articles just for alphabetizing.

I have a lot of artists with "the", so if you can remove the articles as you said, I think that would work great.

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2012, 10:29 PM   #67
jbernardis

I have just uploaded version 1.oj with the recently requested features. Here is the extract from the changelog file:

Version 1.0j - 4/21/2012
- Added support for using number keys to navigate through long menus (1=10%, 2=20%, etc)
- Added the ability to ignore leading articles (a, an, the) in artist names so that "The Beatles" sorts with the B's
- added ignorearticles ini file option to control above stripping of articles

Old 04-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #68
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardis View Post
- Added the ability to ignore leading articles (a, an, the) in artist names so that "The Beatles" sorts with the B's
The Beatles? Oh, come on, Jeff. At least use the names of real bands when citing an example. No band would ever call themselves "The Beatles". I mean really...

lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #69
jbernardis

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
The Beatles? Oh, come on, Jeff. At least use the names of real bands when citing an example. No band would ever call themselves "The Beatles". I mean really...

I guess it shows my age. If it makes it look any better, I also have music in my collection from Green Day and (gulp) Avril Lavigne.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #70
species8472jj

I finally got to try the lyrics via pressing the info button. Unfortunately, what happened was it would literally just exit out of Jukebox.

Looking at the DOS window, I do seen an error...

"Error: character mapping must return integer, None, or unicode"

If you have any suggestions, that would be great.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #71
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by species8472jj View Post
I finally got to try the lyrics via pressing the info button. Unfortunately, what happened was it would literally just exit out of Jukebox.

Looking at the DOS window, I do seen an error...

"Error: character mapping must return integer, None, or unicode"

If you have any suggestions, that would be great.
Can you give me the whole traceback that appears in the DOS window. The error message is great, but the traceback will help to pinpoint the code location. Also, since it was in the lyrics section, if you can give me the EXACT song title and artist name it would be helpful.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #72
lrhorer

Quote:
I guess it shows my age. If it makes it look any better, I also have music in my collection from Green Day and (gulp) Avril Lavigne.
I keep having these moments of geriatric depression when I see something come from a "new kid". The first one was over 30 years ago. I heard a 9 year old turn to her mother and say, "Mommy, did you know Paul McCartney was with another band before he was with Wings?"

Now I really feel old.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #73
species8472jj

Right now, I am having two problems, and I don't know why I am having such a hard time.

1) This was my original problem. The progress bar would tick away, and there would be no sound. The response was to reboot my Tivo and that worked. It happened again, and it seem to be very random, so I would try Harmonium every time it happened, and that has played successfully every time. One other thing I noticed. When I would go into Jukebox, and go through the menus, I noticed if I heard the TiVo chirp as I moved down, it would play fine. If I did not hear the TiVo chirp as I moved from item to item, it would tick away and play no music. Since may TiVo HD screens don't have that chirp, I didn't think anything of it. It may be nothing, but it may help diagnose the problem.

2) As mentioned before, if I hit the "info" button for lyrics, Jukebox just exits.
Please see the entire traceback below leading to the error. The song I tried was 10,000 Maniacs - What's the matter here?
I've tried others with the same result.

C:\PYHME>call start.py
HME Server for Python 0.19
Sat Apr 28 14:39:06 2012 JukeBox version 1.0h module initializing
Sat Apr 28 14:39:06 2012 Server Starts
Registering: jukebox
192.168.1.150:35922 - - [28/Apr/2012 14:39:24] "GET /jukebox/ HTTP/1.1" 200 -
192.168.1.150:35922 - - [28/Apr/2012 14:39:24] Starting HME: jukebox
Jukebox thread entering startup
Sat Apr 28 14:39:24 2012 Starting cache file load
Sat Apr 28 14:39:25 2012 Starting sort
Sat Apr 28 14:39:25 2012 Finished - 4855 music files, 669 albums, 364 album arti
sts, 672 track artists
Jukebox thread activating
Server address = 192.168.1.100:9032
----------------------------------------
Exception happened during processing of request from ('192.168.1.150', 35922)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Python27\lib\SocketServer.py", line 582, in process_request_thread
self.finish_request(request, client_address)
File "C:\Python27\lib\SocketServer.py", line 323, in finish_request
self.RequestHandlerClass(request, client_address, self)
File "C:\PYHME\start.py", line 141, in __init__
client_address, server)
File "C:\Python27\lib\SocketServer.py", line 639, in __init__
self.handle()
File "C:\Python27\lib\BaseHTTPServer.py", line 337, in handle
self.handle_one_request()
File "C:\Python27\lib\BaseHTTPServer.py", line 325, in handle_one_request
method()
File "C:\PYHME\start.py", line 232, in do_GET
self._page(True)
File "C:\PYHME\start.py", line 186, in _page
appinst.mainloop()
File "C:\PYHME\hme.py", line 1139, in mainloop
while self.active and self.get_event():
File "C:\PYHME\hme.py", line 1192, in get_event
handle(keynum, rawcode)
File "C:\PYHME\jukebox\__init__.py", line 383, in handle_key_press
self.nowPlaying.handle_key_press(keynum, rawcode)
File "C:\PYHME\jukebox\NowPlaying.py", line 421, in handle_key_press
self.app.showLyrics(self.playingSong)
File "C:\PYHME\jukebox\__init__.py", line 342, in showLyrics
self.lyricView.loadLyrics(song)
File "C:\PYHME\jukebox\LyricView.py", line 76, in loadLyrics
self.lyrString = GetLyrics(song.getArtistName(), song.getTitle())
File "C:\PYHME\jukebox\GetLyrics.py", line 121, in GetLyrics
lArtist = makeASCII(artist).lower().translate(transTable).split()
TypeError: character mapping must return integer, None or unicode
Old 04-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #74
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by species8472jj View Post
File "C:\PYHME\jukebox\GetLyrics.py", line 121, in GetLyrics
lArtist = makeASCII(artist).lower().translate(transTable).split()
TypeError: character mapping must return integer, None or unicode
I am really lost as to what is happening here. I am trying to form a URL from the Artist and Title, so I strip out non-ascii characters, translate to lowercase, remove punctuation characters, and finally split into a list of words that will later be joined with '+' characters. I've tried this interactively both with Ascii characters and non-ascii characters. The worst case I can think of is where makeASCII removes every character returning an empty string, but even that behaves as expected.

What version of python are you using? On Linux, or windows?

I have something I want to try, but I don't want to release it generally until we have had an opportunity to see if it solves your problem. If you want to help me out here, send me a PM with your email address, and I'll send you back one new source file to try. If it works for you, I'll update git.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #75
species8472jj

I sent you a PM with my email - always glad to help.

I am using Python on 2.7, and I'm on Windows 7.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #76
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
There is no reason it need happen.

Code:
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

from hme import *

TITLE = 'Hello World'

class Hello(Application):
    def startup(self):
        Font(self, size=36, style=FONT_BOLD)
        #self.root.set_text('Hello, world!')
        self.root.set_text(u'Beyoncé')
Bill,

I am still having a bit of trouble with the code in this area. Most recently I got the following traceback out of your code when trying to set_text using a set of lyrics I received from azlyrics.com:

Code:
Adding lyric contect ( I really donât mind what happens now and then )
Exception happened during processing of request from ('192.168.1.103', 1052)
Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/local/pyhme/jukebox/LyricView.py", line 114, in paint
    flags=self.flags)
  File "/usr/local/pyhme/hme.py", line 1033, in set_text
    self.set_resource(Text(self.app, message, font, color, colornum), flags)
  File "/usr/local/pyhme/hme.py", line 713, in __init__
    self.put(_CMD_RSRC_ADD_TEXT, 'iis', font.id, color.id, text)
  File "/usr/local/pyhme/hme.py", line 553, in put
    _pack('ii' + format, cmd, self.id, *params))
  File "/usr/local/pyhme/hme.py", line 506, in _pack
    return ''.join([func[i](value) for i, value in zip(format, values)])
  File "/usr/local/pyhme/hme.py", line 466, in _pack_string
    return _pack_vdata(value.encode('utf-8'))
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe2 in position 12: ordinal not in range(128)
The offending character is the strange looking character in the word don't in the first line above - I assume it's some non-ascii character that looks like an apostrophy??

In any event, short of stripping non-ASCII characters out of the data I get from the web, what can I do to get past this issue?

Old 04-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #77
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Um... figure out what character set it's actually in, and convert it from that to Unicode before you send it to the screen.

Here's what I do in several places in pyTivo:

Code:
# Try decoding it as UTF-8, fall back to system character set
if type(val) == str:
    try:
        val = val.decode('utf8')
    except:
        if sys.platform == 'darwin':
            val = val.decode('macroman')
        else:
            val = val.decode('iso8859-1')
For your purposes you'd probably want to leave out the 'darwin' (i.e. Mac OS X) part, since you're not dealing with local files.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #78
jbernardis

Thanks - that did the trick. I try utf8 (which is what it was) and then iso8859-1, and if they both fail, I strip out anything that is non-ascii as an absolute last-ditch tactic.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #79
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

iso8859-1 won't fail... well, I guess technically you could run into characters in the 128-160 gap, and it might complain then. So, it might be better to use windows-1252. Anyway, the point is, these are 8-bit encodings -- so any byte value is a valid character. With UTF-8, on the other hand, a random sequence is more likely to be invalid than valid. That's why I test for UTF-8, and then fall through to (untested) iso8859-1.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #80
species8472jj

I have a little more insight in a "problem" I have been having with Jukebox.

The problem basically is that when I played a song, the progress bar would tick away, however there was no sound. The resolution was to reboot my TiVo, and it worked.

However, I realized that sometimes when I went into Jukebox, it would work (i.e. the songs had sound). And sometimes it would not work (i.e. the songs had no sound at all).

I also noticed that when I moved from item to item in Jukebox's menus, if I heard the TiVo "chirp", I would hear sound when music is playing. If I didn't hear the "chirp", I would not hear sound when music is playing. I didn't think much of it since the HD Tivo interface does not have the "chirp" (or whatever you call that TiVo sound).

I am using the TiVo Premier, so I went in and changed my menus from the HD menus to the SD menus. When I did that, I went in and out of Jukebox many, many times, and it worked each time.

I believe Harmonium's interface is SD, and I know that Jukebox's interface is HD, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. And I have not had this issue with Harmonium on either the SD or HD menus on Tivo.

I'm not pretending to know something I don't - this is just what I've noticed, and I'm putting it out there to see if it makes any sense.

Of course, this could be a load of bunk and my Tivo (or the Tivo interface in general) is just quirky.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #81
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
iso8859-1 won't fail... well, I guess technically you could run into characters in the 128-160 gap, and it might complain then. So, it might be better to use windows-1252.
I decided to test this, and actually iso8859-1 is better. I made a file with byte values 0-255, and tried it with various decodes. iso8859-1 gave no errors. (So, it's true, there's no need to check it; all byte values are accepted.) But windows-1252 threw an exception, since there still are a few "undefined" characters in that set.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #82
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

On third thought, I should probably go with "decode('cp1252', 'replace')".

Old 04-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #83
species8472jj

I was incorrect above (partially)

When Dolby Digital is enabled, you will get the Tivo sound effects. If you have Dolby Digital to PCM enabed, you don't get the sound effects.

My guess is that TiVo cannot play music in Dolby Digital mode which is why I am getting silence. So, when TiVo needs to play music, it must temporarily disable the Dolby Digital.

The only thing I can think of in reference to Harmonium is it does use SD menus, so I assume Tivo has some association of SD menus with Dolby Digital to PCM.

Again, I could be wrong, but I don't know if you can tell TiVo to switch to Dolby Digital to PCM in the code. I am thinking the SD menus default to this. Although, sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't, and that I am not sure about except perhaps a tivo quirk.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:49 PM   #84
jbernardis

I have posted verion 1.0k of jukebox on git. I have hopefully made the lyrics retrieval code a little more robust. If nothing else, I have wrapped the problem areas with try blocks so that if errors DO occur, the app does not crash and you are told that lyrics retrieval couldn't be done. But I also put in some improvements. The logic now tries to retrieve the lyrics using the given artist and title as is. If this fails, it tries again after stripping out punctuation. I think this should increase the liklihood of successful lyrics retrieval.

Thanks to species8472jj for acting as a tester for me on this, and thanks to wmcbrine for giving me pointers for dealing with different character encodings. I think it's starting to sink in.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #85
windracer
joined the 10k club

What controls the sort order of playlists in the list? I have two playlists that for some reason sort to the end of the list, after Z. No special characters or anything like that ...

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #86
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
What controls the sort order of playlists in the list? I have two playlists that for some reason sort to the end of the list, after Z. No special characters or anything like that ...
Good question

I just checked myself, and it seems that the playlists are in the order as returned by os.listdir which is probably based on the order in which files are created/deleted. I could very easily sort that alphabetically if people wanted that. I hadn't thought about it because I don't have many playlists, but I guess if the list grows, then some ordering discipline would make life easier.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:58 PM   #87
jbernardis

For those interested, I just did a quick check of jukebox with the new HME for Python 0.20 and encountered no problems.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #88
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
I just checked myself, and it seems that the playlists are in the order as returned by os.listdir which is probably based on the order in which files are created/deleted. I could very easily sort that alphabetically if people wanted that. I hadn't thought about it because I don't have many playlists, but I guess if the list grows, then some ordering discipline would make life easier.
Yeah, that would be nice. Here's my list, for example (please don't judge me by my playlist names ):

Code:
-rwxrwxrwx 1 jeremy users   15807 May  9 22:44 Chex Party Mix.m3u
-rwxrwxrwx 1 jeremy users   10653 May 10 16:19 Classic Rockin.m3u
-rwxrwxrwx 1 jeremy users    2522 May  9 21:40 Disco Dancing.m3u
-rwxrwxrwx 1 jeremy users     577 May  9 21:40 Flyer Pep Band.m3u
-rwxrwxrwx 1 jeremy users   10667 May  9 22:49 Folk You.m3u
-rwxrwxrwx 1 jeremy users    6589 May 10 16:23 Head Bangers Ball.m3u
-rwxrwxrwx 1 jeremy users    9583 May  9 21:40 Jazz it Up.m3u
-rwxrwxrwx 1 jeremy users    4628 May  9 21:40 Nerdcore Rising.m3u
-rwxrwxrwx 1 jeremy users    1042 May  9 22:07 Polka Party.m3u
-rwxrwxrwx 1 jeremy users   26692 May 15 20:12 Pop Goes the Weasel.m3u
-rwxrwxrwx 1 jeremy users    3337 May  9 22:07 Road Trippin.m3u
-rwxrwxrwx 1 jeremy users    1638 May  9 21:40 Skydiving Mix.m3u
-rwxrwxrwx 1 jeremy users    3185 May  9 21:40 Spring Training.m3u
-rwxrwxrwx 1 jeremy users   63975 May 10 16:42 The BIG 80s.m3u
-rwxrwxrwx 1 jeremy users   17259 May 10 16:32 Under the Covers.m3u
-rwxrwxrwx 1 jeremy users    1906 May  9 21:40 Wedding Mix.m3u
-rwxrwxrwx 1 jeremy users   14439 May  9 21:40 zChristmas Mix.m3u
-rwxrwxrwx 1 jeremy users    5757 May  9 21:40 zChristmas Slow Mix.m3u
-rwxrwxrwx 1 jeremy users    4220 May  9 21:40 zHalloween.m3u
And here's how they appear in jukebox:

It's those last two that are bugging me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jukeplaylists.JPG (68.6 KB, 76 views)

|
Old 05-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #89
jbernardis

As requested by windracer, I have just made version 1.0l of jukebox available. This version maintains the list of playlists in alphabetical order. Also, with this version, I have introduced a new icon. I like the new one better, but if you prefer the old one, just preserve the icon.png file that is in the vidmgr directory.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:39 AM   #90
windracer
joined the 10k club

That worked, thanks!

|