TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-14-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
Amnesia
The Question

HIMYM S07E23/4 "The Magician's Code" 14 May 2012

As much as I like Quinn, I'm glad that Barney is marrying Robin...

And I loved Robin's vet stuff with Lily. Very funny...

And little baby Marvin definitely has the coolest middle name ever...
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia
As much as I like Quinn, I'm glad that Barney is marrying Robin...

And I loved Robin's vet stuff with Lily. Very funny...

And little baby Marvin definitely has the coolest middle name ever...
Agreed.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
Sparty99

I know I'm in the distinct minority, but I'm glad that Victoria's back. I've long harbored hopes that Victoria could be the mother, and while I'm guessing that that's not going to happen, I'm happy to see her back on the show.

I don't know that I like Robin and Barney winding up together, as I liked the Quinn/Barney dynamic (although it was pretty predictable that the magic trick would lead to a ring), but it'll be interesting to see how it goes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sparty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #4
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty99 View Post
I know I'm in the distinct minority, but I'm glad that Victoria's back. I've long harbored hopes that Victoria could be the mother, and while I'm guessing that that's not going to happen, I'm happy to see her back on the show.
In the minority, really? If so, count me in it, too. I like her and am glad to see her back. Alas, we've already been told that Ted meets the mother at Barney's wedding, so we know Victoria isn't she. So it's yet another stall... but at least with someone we like.

Quote:
I don't know that I like Robin and Barney winding up together, as I liked the Quinn/Barney dynamic (although it was pretty predictable that the magic trick would lead to a ring), but it'll be interesting to see how it goes.
I agree with all of that (except maybe the "it'll be interesting" part). I also liked Barney and Quinn together, and actually believed them as a couple much more than I ever did Barney and Robin. It's not a surprise that Quinn won't be marrying Barney because it didn't seem likely that Becki Newton could stay around (especially because she's in another show next fall!), but I'm not especially happy that she has to give way to Robin. Not really looking forward to more meaningless twists and turns and "we'll get to that"'s explaining how this comes to pass.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
robojerk

Ted is a despicable.

He was left at the alter and it nearly destroyed him, now he's doing the same to someone else. He should have made her tell her fiancee that it was over first, it also would have made her decide really if she is just panicking or really loves Ted more than her fiancee.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #6
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Why did Barney need a magician when he didn't reveal the secrets of the trick, he just "performed the trick".
Old 05-14-2012, 11:57 PM   #7
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
Why did Barney need a magician when he didn't reveal the secrets of the trick, he just "performed the trick".
I think he was hoping that he could get out of the situation without having to actually perform the trick and have to propose to Quinn in the middle of the airport terminal.

As for the overall...

Back when Robin and Barney were a couple, I was a big fan of them as a couple, but I think I liked Barney and Quinn together even better (although that might just be because she's a stripper ), so I'm a little disappointed.

And I agree with robo; Ted Mosby is a jerk. Also, I can't exactly remember why, but I really really disliked Victoria as a GF for Ted back when they were first going out. On the other hand, I don't really care much for Ted either, so I guess they're perfect for each other.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:18 AM   #8
LifeIsABeach

1. It was pretty obvious the magic trick was an engagement ring.
2. As soon as they said, "Ted, the bride wants to see you" I knew it was Robin. Don't like that choice.
3. I love Victoria! Also wish she was the mom. The episode when he first met her is one of my favorites in the whole series.
4. Definitely the coolest middle name ever!
Old 05-15-2012, 07:11 AM   #9
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
although that might just be because she's a stripper )
ex-stripper
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:31 AM   #10
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

After the proposal, it was clear that Quinn was not the bride. However, I disagree with those above. I was disappointed it was Robin. I'd much rather it be Quinn, or even someone unexpected, like Victoria, than Robin.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:26 AM   #11
tiams

OK, we know Ted meets The Mother at Barney's wedding. So the question is, will we see the wedding early next season so we can witness the courtship, etc. or will Barney's wedding be the finale and Ted will meet The Mother on the very last episode and BAM the show ends without us ever really getting to know her.

My guess is we will be introduced to the character (and I think it will be Barney's sister, Carly Whittaker) but Ted won't run into her until the wedding. Kind of like how they had storylines and appearances for both Robin and Ted for much of this season even though the characters were avoiding each other.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #12
kar74
hi.

Maybe Robin gets cold feet before the wedding and runs off with Ted...hopefully for neither to be heard from again. :-P
kar74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #13
mdougie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
OK, we know Ted meets The Mother at Barney's wedding..
I could be wrong, but it is my understyanding that Ted meets the mother at the lesbian wedding. The ex roomate. The girl with the yellow umbrella.
mdougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:55 AM   #14
USAFSSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar74 View Post
Maybe Robin gets cold feet before the wedding and runs off with Ted...hopefully for neither to be heard from again. :-P
But then it would be Your Mom 'Aunt' Robin.

USAFSSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #15
su719

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdougie View Post
I could be wrong, but it is my understyanding that Ted meets the mother at the lesbian wedding. The ex roomate. The girl with the yellow umbrella.
And she was in his first class.
su719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #16
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar74 View Post
Nah. I think they are near the end of the doubles and decptions. Robin and Barney together.

This is from memory of what I read somewhere. Could be slightly wrong.

Spoiler:
Next season is supposed to be about how they get to the point of Robin and Barney with us meeting the mother. I think they center the last season (the one after) around the mom.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #17
windracer
joined the 10k club

I liked the "hot college seniors" pulling a "Spartacus" on the bus so Marshall could get to the hospital.

I don't understand why part 1 was titled "The Magician's Code" as there was no reference to that at all.

As for Ted running off with Victoria? That's a "soft 2."

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #18
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by su719 View Post
And she was in his first class.
We know that Carly Whittaker is in college.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #19
Joules1111
Not Drawful

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
I liked the "hot college seniors" pulling a "Spartacus" on the bus so Marshall could get to the hospital.
That was my favorite part of the episode.

I like "wait for it" as the middle name, but Marvin is horrible (I know, I know - he's names after his grandfather).
Old 05-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #20
Sparty99

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
Ted is a despicable.

He was left at the alter and it nearly destroyed him, now he's doing the same to someone else. He should have made her tell her fiancee that it was over first, it also would have made her decide really if she is just panicking or really loves Ted more than her fiancee.
I'm no fan of Ted's, but I can't necessarily agree with him being despicable in this situation. First off, keep in mind that Victoria's fiancÚ was "the other man" when Victoria was in Europe, so as far as I'm concerned he owes the man nothing. Second, not to get overly cliche, but I think at some points in life you have to be selfish, and if taking her back to the church was going to cost him the girl, I say don't take that chance and drive off into the sunset. And third, it's entirely possible that Ted looked at it and said, "It's happened to me and I survived, so will he."

As I think more about this episode, we could have a couple of amazingly sad storylines, as we presumably know that neither Barney nor Ted will wind up with the women they're with, after making very public displays of affection and effectively saying, "I'm all in here." I'm not sure if I like that angle to the chain of events.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #21
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I have no problem with Barney and Robin together. I liked them together the first time and thought they abandoned it too quickly.

While I liked Victoria the first time she was on, the situation for her to be on now just sucks. Ted is a complete doosh for trying to keep her from her wedding.

As for the Barney/Robin wedding, didn't it say that it took place in May 2012? And haven't they always kept the episodes pretty close to the current time? So are we to believe that next season they're going to be telling stories that happen before May 2012? That seems very out of character for the show.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #22
Fleegle
Chef-In-Training

Quote:
I'm no fan of Ted's, but I can't necessarily agree with him being despicable in this situation. First off, keep in mind that Victoria's fiancÚ was "the other man" when Victoria was in Europe, so as far as I'm concerned he owes the man nothing. Second, not to get overly cliche, but I think at some points in life you have to be selfish, and if taking her back to the church was going to cost him the girl, I say don't take that chance and drive off into the sunset. And third, it's entirely possible that Ted looked at it and said, "It's happened to me and I survived, so will he."

As I think more about this episode, we could have a couple of amazingly sad storylines, as we presumably know that neither Barney nor Ted will wind up with the women they're with, after making very public displays of affection and effectively saying, "I'm all in here." I'm not sure if I like that angle to the chain of events.
I can't disagree more. Victoria had jitters and last-minute doubts. She even admitted as much when she said that once she heard him say that he can't steal her away, she felt herself "sobering up". For Ted to take advantage of that, especially after his speech about he can't be the guy to cause another man to be left at the altar, means he's not only a bad person, he's edging toward evil.
Fleegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #23
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
As for the Barney/Robin wedding, didn't it say that it took place in May 2012? .
I think all the wedding scenes were preceeded by "... a little ways down the road." It was the flashback from the wedding (before Ted walks into the bride's room) to Marvin's birth that went to May 2012.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #24
Sparty99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleegle View Post
I can't disagree more. Victoria had jitters and last-minute doubts. She even admitted as much when she said that once she heard him say that he can't steal her away, she felt herself "sobering up". For Ted to take advantage of that, especially after his speech about he can't be the guy to cause another man to be left at the altar, means he's not only a bad person, he's edging toward evil.
We'll agree to disagree. I will say that if anyone walks away from her wedding in her dress to meet up with a former boyfriend asking to be driven into the sunset, she isn't real keen on getting married. You think she's going to walk back to the altar, say, "Ok, I'm good now," and be married for the next 50 years? Victoria'd be divorced in 2 years with nothing but regret for leaving Ted behind and marrying the wrong guy.

As for being evil, I say that sometimes someone needs to take that first step to get people where they need to go, and it's not always the easiest thing to do because you know you're not necessarily doing the "right thing".

Old 05-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #25
aindik

Did not like Barney with Robin at all.

Also, anyone else think Robin looked weird in the wedding dress?

Robin treating Lily like a pregnant horse was hilarious.

I saw the "50 laps" thing coming a mile away.

Oh, and http://lilysinlabor.com/
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #26
robojerk

Whether you think Ted is a dousche or not, Victoria should've ended things with her fiancee before running away. There's thinking for yourself and then there's selfish.

She may not even be wanting to be married and will just be another emotionally unavailable girl Ted is drawn to.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #27
MauriAnne
Mostly lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
Did not like Barney with Robin at all.

Also, anyone else think Robin looked weird in the wedding dress?

Robin treating Lily like a pregnant horse was hilarious.

I saw the "50 laps" thing coming a mile away.

Oh, and http://lilysinlabor.com/
Thanks, I forgot to check the link when I watched it.

I also replayed it a couple times to make sure Robin really *was* wearing a wedding dress. I guess I'm so used to misdirection on this show, I'm skeptical.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #28
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

If we had some reason to believe that Victoria was "the one" and that by ditching her fiance at the altar and running off with Ted, she and Ted were going to live happily ever after, I think I wouldn't have a problem with it. But we know that Victoria is not "the one," because the way she and Ted met doesn't sync up with the clues we've been given, so basically if Ted and Victoria get together (again), it will just be another of Ted's dead-end relationships.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #29
robojerk

I agree with the theory that Ted marries Barney's sister. It makes more sense since Barney and Robin will actually be the uncle and aunt.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #30
Fleegle
Chef-In-Training

Quote:
We'll agree to disagree. I will say that if anyone walks away from her wedding in her dress to meet up with a former boyfriend asking to be driven into the sunset, she isn't real keen on getting married. You think she's going to walk back to the altar, say, "Ok, I'm good now," and be married for the next 50 years? Victoria'd be divorced in 2 years with nothing but regret for leaving Ted behind and marrying the wrong guy.

As for being evil, I say that sometimes someone needs to take that first step to get people where they need to go, and it's not always the easiest thing to do because you know you're not necessarily doing the "right thing".
My point is that she DID start to say "Ok, I'm good now" after Ted originally said he wouldn't run away with her. She said she was starting to "Sober up" after that. That tells me she panicked right around the time Ted called her and bolted. Once that panic subsided, she came to her senses. But when Ted decided to be selfish and drive on past the church, he became an enabler to her panic. You notice he never asked her "Do you love this guy", or anything similar.

Ted had no idea where Victoria "needed to go", he was being a selfish prick. And I reject your your idea about doing the wrong thing for the right reasons. I live by the Golden Rule. Don't do something to another person that you wouldn't want to happen to you. Ted's move was an evil one.
Fleegle is offline   Reply With Quote