Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Smash - "Bombshell" (Season Finale) - S01E15 - 05/14/2012

Ho-lee-crap. Now THAT is what a season finale should be. Plenty of twists and turns, and non-stop rollercoaster action for the whole hour. AND Ellis got fired! WOO!

To me that really was the perfect ending for the play: essentially the ghost of Marilyn hoping and begging that people don't forget her. Death plus a last word.

I think Ivy might have been ok if her mother hadn't shown up. That really pushed her over the edge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
Ereth

I confess that I look forward to this show and I really like it. I'm sad it's over and it's going to be a long wait. I know it's rather popular hear to diss it, but I love it.

All season long I was convinced it was Karens role, but they actually managed to make me think they'd go back to Ivy at the last minute tonight. Well done.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
WinBear
Konner Kringle

I liked that Ivy basically gave Karen all the emotional load she needed to carry on as Marilyn. I enjoyed the new songs, especially the new finale with all the call backs to previous numbers.
Oh, regarding Ellis being fired. His response was very telling. I'm sure he'll be back to stir the pot next year even if he isn't employed by any of the other characters. I'm thinking lawsuit, but he really doesn't have much to stand on.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
zalusky

I think Ellis is going to work for Mr. Eileen.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinBear View Post
I liked that Ivy basically gave Karen all the emotional load she needed to carry on as Marilyn.
She didn't do that intentionally though, right? She was just being a bitca and messing with Karen's head so that she couldn't go on an Ivy could take her place.

Or did I miss something subtle?

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
tiams

Ellis should be charged with a crime for trying to kill Rebecca.

Michael's wife had the good sense to dump his cheating ass, I only wish Julia's husband would do the same.

The writers must think we are stupid. We didn't need Julia to say she hasn't thrown up since she was pregnant with Annoying Son. Is the baby Michael's?
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
ThePennyDropped
Now I get it.

I agree, Tiams. Why weren't the police called when Ellis bragged about putting the peanuts in the smoothie? That's clearly attempted murder.
ThePennyDropped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
She didn't do that intentionally though, right? She was just being a bitca and messing with Karen's head so that she couldn't go on an Ivy could take her place.

I was trying to figure that out. When Ivy dumped the ring/etc on Karen and gave her the little speech, Karen ran out and the look on Ivy's face wasn't revenge or a smirk or anything like that. It was sort of "this happens all the time". I couldn't tell if it was bad acting on Megan's part or if Ivy was trying to "help" Karen in the most obtuse was possible.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
The writers must think we are stupid. We didn't need Julia to say she hasn't thrown up since she was pregnant with Annoying Son. Is the baby Michael's?
That wasn't there for you and me... it was there for the people who need to be clubbed over the head.

I do wish they had left it at "threw up" and moved on, let us be clever and figure it out, and explain it to the morons later when the pregnancy is "revealed".

Old 05-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePennyDropped View Post
I agree, Tiams. Why weren't the police called when Ellis bragged about putting the peanuts in the smoothie? That's clearly attempted murder.
A) It's just a TV show.

2) The only evidence is the confession, and that's a "she said, he said" situation. He can just deny it and then what?

iii) Even if they had useful evidence, given the problems they already have, I don't think Eileen would want the negative publicity that calling the cops on Ellis would bring.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #11
tiams

Quote:
A) It's just a TV show.

2) The only evidence is the confession, and that's a "she said, he said" situation. He can just deny it and then what?

iii) Even if they had useful evidence, given the problems they already have, I don't think Eileen would want the negative publicity that calling the cops on Ellis would bring.
As to A, you are right.

As to 2, after a crime is reported, an investigation happens and thats when evidence is gathered.

as to iii, there is no such thing as negative publicity.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #12
Ereth

Quote:
as to iii, there is no such thing as negative publicity.
Tell that to "Spider-Man, After the Dark".

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #13
Azlen

I'm curious to see if the new showrunner is going to keep the "Julia is pregnant, who is the father" storyline or let that drop.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #14
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
Tell that to "Spider-Man, Turn off the Dark".
It's actually been a box office hit and will hit its year anniversary of the official opening shortly. Whether or not it ends up in the black is a whole other thing though.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #15
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
Tell that to "Spider-Man, After the Dark".
You're making my point for me.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #16
hummingbird_206

Wow, what an awesome finale. I've always loved Karen and kinda hated Ivy. But now I love them both. And I feel so sorry for Ivy. Sucks to be her right now.

I hate the Julia/Michael storyline and really hope they drop it. I'm guessing we won't be so lucky.

I love to hate Ellis and hope he does come back. There's got to be some kind of trouble maker and I'd prefer him over the baby storyline.
hummingbird_206 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #17
wprager

Quote:
A)
2)

iii)

Is that a Home Alone shoutout?
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #18
TonyD79

I dunno about the story itself but I wanna see Bombshell. Guess that worked.

As for Karen getting the part, the whole season was basically Karen's story. She was the most real, most fleshed out, most consistent character.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:23 PM   #19
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post

Is that a Home Alone shoutout?
Nope.

Paul Reiser / Mad About You

Old 05-16-2012, 07:41 AM   #20
wprager

Quote:
Nope.

Paul Reiser the Plagiarizer!

Quote:
Buzz McCallister: No, for three reasons: A, I'm not that lucky. Two, we use smoke detectors and D, we live on the most boring street in the whole United States of America, where nothing even remotely dangerous will ever happen. Period.
I know it's not the same but it's the same idea (and Home Alone came out in 1990, two years before Mad About You).
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:47 AM   #21
billypritchard
Embiggener

This show is pretty awful and my wife and I have taken to watching it to see how many eye rolls and 'seriouslys?' we can get out of each episode.

If the new showrunner has any smarts/guts he will a) dump Ellis, b) dump/change Julia completely, and c) stop having everyone in triangles.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #22
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
This show is pretty awful
guess you are watching another show

this is one of my favorite new shows of the season and i think the final episode was most excellent
the final song was brilliant.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:30 AM   #23
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

I think it's an entertaining show, but not a particularly good show. I don't think it's as horrific as some sites (*cough*HuffPo*cough*) make it out to be, but it definitely has significant flaws.

Frankly, though, I expect it to disappear as soon as it comes back next season. I mean, really... a niche show with significantly declining ratings on a network already very weak, and they're benching it for 9 months -- and they expect the audience to be there when they come back? Yeah. Right.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #24
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
guess you are watching another show

this is one of my favorite new shows of the season and i think the final episode was most excellent
the final song was brilliant.
I think you could more accurately say that we have different opinions about the show. I for the most part enjoy the musical numbers, and I won't even really complain about the dialogue per se. The biggest issue I have with it is the plotting and storylines. It is a cliche smorgsabord. Julia pregnant? Ivy with the pills? And could someone sum up the son's storylines? I think he was worst of all.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #25
Drewster
Shooting blanks

Quote:
My wife and I have said

A]
2]

...for years because of that show. Even our kids to it now, and no one seems to notice.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #26
nyny523
Oy

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
I was trying to figure that out. When Ivy dumped the ring/etc on Karen and gave her the little speech, Karen ran out and the look on Ivy's face wasn't revenge or a smirk or anything like that. It was sort of "this happens all the time". I couldn't tell if it was bad acting on Megan's part or if Ivy was trying to "help" Karen in the most obtuse was possible.
Karen got everything Ivy wanted. Karen got the part. Karen got her guy to propose. Ivy ended up with nothing.

She gave her the ring and told her what happened with Dev because she couldn't stand the idea that Karen was happy when she was so miserable. Did the idea that Karen might freak out and be unable to go on occur to her? Probably. But I think her main motivation was that she wanted Karen to feel as bad or worse than she did. Ivy has been nothing but self centered the entire season. Everything was about her. Boo hoo - she has mommy issues. Put on your big girl panties and get over yourself.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:41 PM   #27
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
I doubt she wears panties.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:18 AM   #28
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
She gave her the ring and told her what happened with Dev because she couldn't stand the idea that Karen was happy when she was so miserable. Did the idea that Karen might freak out and be unable to go on occur to her? Probably. But I think her main motivation was that she wanted Karen to feel as bad or worse than she did. Ivy has been nothing but self centered the entire season. Everything was about her. Boo hoo - she has mommy issues. Put on your big girl panties and get over yourself.
I agree with my esteemed collegue from New York. And I think it was the fact that she realized how smitten Derek was with Karen that really did it for her.

Quote:
Agreed... they didn't need such a big club to hit us with. As for whose baby it is... don't know, don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
I dunno about the story itself but I wanna see Bombshell. Guess that worked.
I feel like I've seen it already. How much better could it be without the camera work (close-ups of McPhee!!!)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
I think you could more accurately say that we have different opinions about the show. I for the most part enjoy the musical numbers, and I won't even really complain about the dialogue per se. The biggest issue I have with it is the plotting and storylines. It is a cliche smorgsabord. Julia pregnant? Ivy with the pills? And could someone sum up the son's storylines? I think he was worst of all.
This is exactly how I feel in a nutshell.

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #29
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

So...what next?

There's one thing they can still leave up in the air; who's going to be Marilyn on opening night on Broadway?. This is important as only the actress listed as Marilyn in Playbook on opening night is eligible for a Tony Award for the role, unless somebody can talk the American Theatre Wing into granting an exception (these tend to be rare - for example, since there were three different boys alternating in the title role in Billy Elliott, they granted an exception for all three to be nominated together (and they won)).

I wonder if anybody is going to take into account how well Zooey Deschanel does in Coal Miner's Daughter - if it turns into a Nick and Nora-sized flop, maybe they'll add some second thoughts about casting "somebody who can sing but doesn't have the stage experience" as Marilyn.

Here's an idea - release two versions of all of the Bombshell songs that involve Marilyn, one with Katharine singing, and the other with Megan; sort of a DIY cast album.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #30
Eptiger
TiVo N00b

Loved this finale - my favorite ep since the premiere - but I will be so pissed if Karen falls for Derek. It just compromises her character in a way that I think would be unnecessary.

I also would hate it if Julia has Michael's baby - that crosses even soap opera lines.

I did feel a little bad for Ivy at the end since she has paid her dues only to get usurped by a newcomer, but Katharine McPhee is such a better singer. I liked how they played up that Ivy is just acting like Marilyn and Karen just is. Ivy has streaks of Marilyn's personality, but I think the role just comes more naturally to Karen because she's not trying so hard to be a caricature.

Elton

Eptiger is offline   Reply With Quote