TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2011, 10:39 PM   #151
DefaultLocation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 25
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Link to boot cd with wdidle3 contained in this post:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...12#post7652412
Awesome, thanks [again] unitron!

In the meantime before I got to the boot CD, I tried out the drive with the jumpers, re-doing the mfscopy, and using an external power supply, but had very spotty results. It failed to boot again at first, then worked once, then failed again, then worked once again, then I somehow got into a state where I couldn't get it working at all.

So after some refreshing my old brain on DOS, IDE, and my mobo settings (I like to think I'm not a PC noob), I was able to run the boot CD and wdidle3 and turn off intellipark, which seems like it did the trick. I got it to consistently boot up without using an external power supply, huzzah. I ran through a few more cold boots to be sure and all seemed well, so I think I'm all set now.

Again, huge thanks unitron, you saved me a lot of time and headache.
__________________
Life is short. Make fun of it.
DefaultLocation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #152
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefaultLocation View Post
Awesome, thanks [again] unitron!

In the meantime before I got to the boot CD, I tried out the drive with the jumpers, re-doing the mfscopy, and using an external power supply, but had very spotty results. It failed to boot again at first, then worked once, then failed again, then worked once again, then I somehow got into a state where I couldn't get it working at all.

So after some refreshing my old brain on DOS, IDE, and my mobo settings (I like to think I'm not a PC noob), I was able to run the boot CD and wdidle3 and turn off intellipark, which seems like it did the trick. I got it to consistently boot up without using an external power supply, huzzah. I ran through a few more cold boots to be sure and all seemed well, so I think I'm all set now.

Again, huge thanks unitron, you saved me a lot of time and headache.
Once things have settled down and you feel you can declare success, go back and edit your first post (add rather than change) to indicate with which drive and which adapter you had success in which TiVo, which is the purpose of this thread.

A lot of what I know, I learned by searching and reading this site, and recommend that others do so.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:23 AM   #153
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyuhchoi View Post
I think any adapter can be used.
But just careful, some are capacity limitation.
And I think you are woefully misinformed.

Do you even own a TiVo?

Have you ever seen the inside of one?
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #154
krick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 63
I'm thinking about ordering a Startech IDE2SAT adapter...

http://www.startech.com/HDD/Adapters...verter~IDE2SAT

According to their technical specifications page, it uses the Marvel 88SA8052 chip.

Buy.com sells them on Ebay for $18.80 with free shipping.

Has anyone tried this adapter with a Series 1 TiVo and had success?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
krick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #155
iyernat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3
PATA /SATA adapter

worked.

Bought off ebay. $4.69
Pioneer 810h
WD AV EUR10
I do not know the chipset and do not care.

search on ebay for -

PATA IDE TO SATA Adapter Converter Card F 3.5" HDD DVD
iyernat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #156
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by iyernat View Post
worked.

Bought off ebay. $4.69
Pioneer 810h
WD AV EUR10
I do not know the chipset and do not care.

search on ebay for -

PATA IDE TO SATA Adapter Converter Card F 3.5" HDD DVD
If you'd gotten one with one of the chipsets that don't work in TiVos, you'd care.

Which is kind of the point of this thread.

But thanks for the datapoint about that drive working in that model TiVo with what is almost certainly a JMicron chipset adapter (the ones with Marvell chips aren't that cheap).
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #157
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by krick View Post
I'm thinking about ordering a Startech IDE2SAT adapter...

http://www.startech.com/HDD/Adapters...verter~IDE2SAT

According to their technical specifications page, it uses the Marvel 88SA8052 chip.

Buy.com sells them on Ebay for $18.80 with free shipping.

Has anyone tried this adapter with a Series 1 TiVo and had success?
Don't know how I missed seeing this when you posted, but, yes, it most likely works on S1s, and if it doesn't, it's not the fault of the chipset, but something else about the board.

I was going to say I think the

Rosewill RC-A-SATA-IDE

from newegg is a little cheaper and known to work, but it looks like they're out of stock again, which means they don't show the price.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #158
sc293
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6
Did it work?: Yes
TiVo Model: Series 1 HDR212 w/Lifetime (with TurboNet cache card)
Hard drive model: WD10EADS (manufactured October 2009)
Adapter retail name: Addonics ADST1062-00B
Purchased from NewEgg.com around $26.00 including shipping.

Did it work?: No
TiVo Model: Series 1 HDR212 w/Lifetime (with TurboNet cache card)
Hard drive model: WD10EADS (manufactured October 2010)
Adapter retail name: Addonics ADST1062-00B
Purchased from NewEgg.com around $26.00 including shipping.

Same Tivo Series 1 unit and same Sata to IDE adapter in both tests. The 1 TB drive that worked (manufactured in Oct 2009) came out off a computer we have (I was originally trying this as a test to make sure the adapter worked).

The 1 TB drive that doesn't work (manufactured in Oct. 2010) is an advanced format drive. I didn't realize that when I bought it since I was focusing on the model number - and was happy to find a model number that I knew worked. Or at least I thought I knew worked. I downloaded wdidle3 and disabled intellipark, but that didn't make any difference. When I power on Tivo it gets to the initial "your recorder is powering up" screen, then it flickers like it's hitting the disk and trying to boot, but then it goes back to the "your recorder is powering up" screen. It then repeats this over and over.

I tried jumpering pins 7 and 8 for the advanced formatting, but then it seemed like Tivo didn't even hit the disk or attempt to boot. I didn't download the Western Digital advanced format utility software (On WD's website under /advformat) since I couldn't figure out how to use it for a Tivo disk.

At this point has anyone successfully bought a disk recently (IDE or Sata) that will work in a Series 1 Tivo? If I'm having this much trouble finding disks now I can only imagine how bad it will be in another couple of years.
sc293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:20 PM   #159
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc293 View Post
Did it work?: Yes
TiVo Model: Series 1 HDR212 w/Lifetime (with TurboNet cache card)
Hard drive model: WD10EADS (manufactured October 2009)
Adapter retail name: Addonics ADST1062-00B
Purchased from NewEgg.com around $26.00 including shipping.

Did it work?: No
TiVo Model: Series 1 HDR212 w/Lifetime (with TurboNet cache card)
Hard drive model: WD10EADS (manufactured October 2010)
Adapter retail name: Addonics ADST1062-00B
Purchased from NewEgg.com around $26.00 including shipping.

Same Tivo Series 1 unit and same Sata to IDE adapter in both tests. The 1 TB drive that worked (manufactured in Oct 2009) came out off a computer we have (I was originally trying this as a test to make sure the adapter worked).

The 1 TB drive that doesn't work (manufactured in Oct. 2010) is an advanced format drive. I didn't realize that when I bought it since I was focusing on the model number - and was happy to find a model number that I knew worked. Or at least I thought I knew worked. I downloaded wdidle3 and disabled intellipark, but that didn't make any difference. When I power on Tivo it gets to the initial "your recorder is powering up" screen, then it flickers like it's hitting the disk and trying to boot, but then it goes back to the "your recorder is powering up" screen. It then repeats this over and over.

I tried jumpering pins 7 and 8 for the advanced formatting, but then it seemed like Tivo didn't even hit the disk or attempt to boot. I didn't download the Western Digital advanced format utility software (On WD's website under /advformat) since I couldn't figure out how to use it for a Tivo disk.

At this point has anyone successfully bought a disk recently (IDE or Sata) that will work in a Series 1 Tivo? If I'm having this much trouble finding disks now I can only imagine how bad it will be in another couple of years.
Well, that's scary, I thought I could rely on the EADS models to be 512 byte sector drives, and only had to worry about the EACS and EARS ones.

If you happen to have 2 Marvell chipset based adapters, an interesting experiment would be to try the older drive as the TiVo's A drive and the newer one as its B drive.

Have you tried jumpering the newer drive and then imaging it?

Also, just because you bought it new doesn't mean you shouldn't run WD's long test on it before putting it into service.

How long ago did you buy that newer EADS, and from where?
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:21 AM   #160
sc293
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6
Unitron:

I only have one adapter so I can't try that out, althought it would be an interesting test to see if the newer drive would work as the B drive.

I did try jumpering the newer drive. I'm using a truncated backup from the current (2) 160 GB IDE disks. I'm using mfsrestore to restore that onto each 1 TB drive. I'm using the same options for each test to keep everything consistent.

My first attempt with the newer drive was when it was straight out of the box. When Tivo wouldn't boot up with that, I tried jumpering pins 7 and 8 on the disk, and re-did the mfsrestore. Tivo still wouldn't boot up, and it was like it didn't even attempt to access the disk. (No flickering, it just sat at the initial screen.) The final attempt was to run wdidle3 /d on the newer disk, and re-do the mfsrestore again. When I put the disk into Tivo it at least tried hitting the disk (screen flickered like it was trying to get to the 2nd screen before it went back to the initial screen).

I bought the newer EADs disk a couple of weeks ago from DiscountTechnology.com. I don't have enought posts to post a link yet, but I can PM you a link to it if you'd like. I searched for 1 TB EADs drives, and they had 30 (as of a couple of weeks ago) that were considered "new pull". If this had worked I was thinking about getting another one to have on hand since it's getting harder to find disks that work in a Series 1.

As an aside I had also bought 2 used Seagate db35.2 IDE drives (160 GB) that I found fairly cheap. One was DOA and the other acted really flaky in Tivo. I'd expect that it would be hard to find IDE drives now, but I'm starting to think that I'm not going to be able to find Sata drives that work in a Series 1 now either.
sc293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #161
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc293 View Post
Unitron:

I only have one adapter so I can't try that out, althought it would be an interesting test to see if the newer drive would work as the B drive.

I did try jumpering the newer drive. I'm using a truncated backup from the current (2) 160 GB IDE disks. I'm using mfsrestore to restore that onto each 1 TB drive. I'm using the same options for each test to keep everything consistent.

My first attempt with the newer drive was when it was straight out of the box. When Tivo wouldn't boot up with that, I tried jumpering pins 7 and 8 on the disk, and re-did the mfsrestore. Tivo still wouldn't boot up, and it was like it didn't even attempt to access the disk. (No flickering, it just sat at the initial screen.) The final attempt was to run wdidle3 /d on the newer disk, and re-do the mfsrestore again. When I put the disk into Tivo it at least tried hitting the disk (screen flickered like it was trying to get to the 2nd screen before it went back to the initial screen).

I bought the newer EADs disk a couple of weeks ago from DiscountTechnology.com. I don't have enought posts to post a link yet, but I can PM you a link to it if you'd like. I searched for 1 TB EADs drives, and they had 30 (as of a couple of weeks ago) that were considered "new pull". If this had worked I was thinking about getting another one to have on hand since it's getting harder to find disks that work in a Series 1.

As an aside I had also bought 2 used Seagate db35.2 IDE drives (160 GB) that I found fairly cheap. One was DOA and the other acted really flaky in Tivo. I'd expect that it would be hard to find IDE drives now, but I'm starting to think that I'm not going to be able to find Sata drives that work in a Series 1 now either.
So the label on the older one says nothing about advanced format, but on the newer one it does?

Is there an option on either drive or both to jumper down from 3Gb/s to 1.5?

Have you tried them at 1.5?


The actual link is one "t" shorter than you would think.

http://discountechnology.com/

ETA: And a quick look at the site reveals not much at all in the way of discounts.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011

Last edited by unitron : 05-14-2012 at 08:52 AM.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #162
sc293
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
So the label on the older one says nothing about advanced format, but on the newer one it does?

Is there an option on either drive or both to jumper down from 3Gb/s to 1.5?

Have you tried them at 1.5?


The actual link is one "t" shorter than you would think.


ETA: And a quick look at the site reveals not much at all in the way of discounts.
Correct - the label on the older disk says nothing about advanced format. As soon as I saw that on the label on the newer disk - I started to get concerned.

I don't believe that there's an option to jumper them down to 1.5. Since the older disk worked out of the box (or out of the computer as the case may be) I didn't do anything special to it. I'll take a closer look at the newer drive when I get home tonight, but as far as I can recall the only jumper option was for pins 7 and 8 for the advanced format for XP with one partition.

If I can find a way to go down to 1.5 on the newer drive I'll try it. (Since the older drive works I'm going to leave it the way it is.) A couple of weeks ago I did try a Maxtor drive that I borrow from a friend that was 6 Gb/s. (I didn't realize it was 6 until I actually got the disk.) Needless to say (as expected) 6 GB/s does not work with a Series 1
sc293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:05 PM   #163
lillevig
Hot in West Texas
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 1,760
Actually had one of the highly recommended WowParts adapters go bad. It came on a TCD240 box and was attached to an older (pre-green) WD3200 AV media drive (sorry, I forget to copy down all the info). Verfied the drive was ok using the WD long test and replaced the adapter with exactly the same model. Works great. In an earlier post I had listed success on an S2DT box using the WowParts adapter and an old WD 250GB Caviar drive. I tried that same combination on a TCD240 box and it would not boot. I should mention that the 250GB drive is speced as needing significantly more current than the usual Tivo drives and I read (I think on WeaKnees) that the power supplies on those S2 boxes are a bit weak compared to other Tivo models.
__________________
"I'm just one story in a two story town." Bon Jovi
lillevig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #164
sc293
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6
[quote=unitron;9092640]So the label on the older one says nothing about advanced format, but on the newer one it does?

Is there an option on either drive or both to jumper down from 3Gb/s to 1.5?

Have you tried them at 1.5?

QUOTE]

I found a way to jumper down to 1.5 Gb/s (jumpering pins 5 and 6 on the disk). However, it didn't help. After the initial Tivo screen, the screen flickers like it's hitting the disk, then goes back to the initial screen. It then continues to do this over and over.

Attached (if I'm doing this correctly) is a picture of the label on the newer disk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20120514-00003.jpg (65.4 KB, 14 views)
sc293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:45 PM   #165
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,557
Apparently we need a constitutional amendment to force the drive makers to be upfront about which drives use which sector size.

Although, as I understand it, 4K sectors are only needed to exceed the 2TB barrier, so they never should have used it on anything 2TB or smaller.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #166
SouthTivo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The South
Posts: 30
Did it work?: Yes
TiVo Model: DirecTivo R10
Hard drive model: Hitachi Deskstar 500GB
Adapter retail name: Kingwin ADP-06
Purchased from / Price: Microcenter / $9
Chipset on the adapter: no idea
Yes I know this Kingwin is not supposed to work but it did. Fooled me into thinking it was a good product. See below.

Did it work?: YES!!
TiVo Model: DirecTivo SDDVR-40
Hard drive model: Seagate Pipeline ST31000322CS 1TB
Adapter retail name: Generic WOWParts LK-13415
Purchased from / Price: eBay/$5
Chipset on the adapter: LK-13415
After much trial and error, it finally worked when the MFScopy was made with the IDE-SATA adapter in place and swap set to 256.

Did it work?: Yes
TiVo Model: DirecTivo R10
Hard drive model: WD 320 Green
Adapter retail name: Weaknees
Purchased from / Price: Weaknees / $17
Chipset on the adapter: No idea
Worked fine; used their IDE cable as well.
__________________
After 12 years, left DirecTV for Dish Hopper W/Sling and Joey in 2013.
Former DirecTivo equipment:
SDDVR-40 @ 884+hrs
R10 at 300hrs
R10 at 500hrs
HR10-250 at 300hrs

Last edited by SouthTivo : 06-30-2012 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Updated SDDVR40 report
SouthTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #167
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTivo View Post
Did it work?: Yes
TiVo Model: DirecTivo R10
Hard drive model: Hitachi Deskstar 500GB
Adapter retail name: Kingwin ADP-06
Purchased from / Price: Microcenter / $9
Chipset on the adapter: no idea
Yes I know this Kingwin is not supposed to work but it did. Fooled me into thinking it was a good product. See below.

Did it work?: No
TiVo Model: DirecTivo HDDVR-40
Hard drive model: Seagate Pipeline HD 1TB
Adapter retail name: Generic WOWParts
Purchased from / Price: eBay/$5
Chipset on the adapter: LK-13415
The ADP-06 failed on this upgrade so I bought two of these "known good" WOWparts adapters, neither of which get me past "powering up" screen. Sometimes I get a solid red light, sometimes green. Tried different IDE cables. No help. Got another adpater on the way to me from Amazon. If that fails, going to reimage the drive and try again.

Did it work?: Yes
TiVo Model: DirecTivo R10
Hard drive model: WD 320 Green
Adapter retail name: Weaknees
Purchased from / Price: Weaknees / $17
Chipset on the adapter: No idea
Worked fine; used their IDE cable as well.

The Kingwin apparently uses a Genesys Logic chipset.

You may be the only Kingwin success story so far.

The Weaknees adapter uses the JMicron chipset, which works with S2s but not S1s (they have to have a Marvell), and the JMicron is, or at least has been so far, the one in the wowparts adapter.

Are you sure that second machine isn't an Hughes SD DVR40?

Or maybe an RCA DVR40?
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:49 PM   #168
SouthTivo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The South
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Are you sure that second machine isn't an Hughes SD DVR40?
Right you are, it's the SD-DVR40. Many years since it was running the stock 40GB drive. The current upgrade will be from a Seagate 250GB to the Pipeline 1TB.

The Kingwin is such a freak thing. It just worked for that R10 and has stayed working for about 9 months. I have no explanation. But I am going to pull the lid and get the exact drive model number.
__________________
After 12 years, left DirecTV for Dish Hopper W/Sling and Joey in 2013.
Former DirecTivo equipment:
SDDVR-40 @ 884+hrs
R10 at 300hrs
R10 at 500hrs
HR10-250 at 300hrs
SouthTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:05 AM   #169
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTivo View Post
Right you are, it's the SD-DVR40. Many years since it was running the stock 40GB drive. The current upgrade will be from a Seagate 250GB to the Pipeline 1TB.

The Kingwin is such a freak thing. It just worked for that R10 and has stayed working for about 9 months. I have no explanation. But I am going to pull the lid and get the exact drive model number.
Did that original 40 have 2 MFS pairs before upgrading to the 250?

So that the 250 has 3 MFS pairs, for a total of 15 partitions?

If so, you won't, I'm pretty sure, be able to upgrade from the 250 to the 1TB and expand to use all of it if you're trying to save any recorded shows, because you can't add another pair of MFS partitions, since 16 is the limit.

If you do a truncated backup of the 250 to the 1TB, it should work okay, you'll just lose any shows.

Not sure if they'll still show up in the Now Playing list or not, but they won't actually be there.

Now if the 40 only had one MFS pair, and the 250 only has 2 pair, you're good to go.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #170
SouthTivo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The South
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Did that original 40 have 2 MFS pairs before upgrading to the 250?

So that the 250 has 3 MFS pairs, for a total of 15 partitions?
The original drive was upgraded to an 80GB, then to the 250, and now to the 1TB. Here's the partition map after cloning the 250 to the 1TB and doing an MFSAdd.
Code:
Partition Maps
 #:                  type name                            length base      ( size  )
  1   Apple_partition_map Apple                               63@1         (  31.5K)
  2                 Image Bootstrap 1                       4096@77261888  (   2.0M)
  3                 Image Kernel 1                          4096@77265984  (   2.0M)
  4                  Ext2 Root 1                          262144@77270080  ( 128.0M)
  5                 Image Bootstrap 2                       4096@77532224  (   2.0M)
  6                 Image Kernel 2                          4096@77536320  (   2.0M)
  7                  Ext2 Root 2                          262144@77540416  ( 128.0M)
  8                  Swap Linux swap                     1024000@77802560  ( 500.0M)
  9                  Ext2 /var                            262144@78826560  ( 128.0M)
 10                   MFS MFS application region         1048576@79088704  ( 512.0M)
 11                   MFS MFS media region              33100800@44161088  (  15.8G)
 12                   MFS MFS application region 2       1048576@80137280  ( 512.0M)
 13                   MFS MFS media region 2            44161024@64        (  21.1G)
 14                   MFS MFS App by Winmfs                 1024@81185856  ( 512.0K)
 15                   MFS MFS Expanded by Winmfs      1872332800@81186880  ( 892.8G)
For the sake of everyone else, this is kind of beyond the topic. I will drag my troubles to a more appropriate thread.

One note: I was able to clone the same 250 about a year ago and it worked fine initially. The target drive was a 500GB. The only issue was that the new drive failed after about a month. Basically I am trying the same thing again with the same source drive and a new target drive. Anyway, thanks for the comments!
__________________
After 12 years, left DirecTV for Dish Hopper W/Sling and Joey in 2013.
Former DirecTivo equipment:
SDDVR-40 @ 884+hrs
R10 at 300hrs
R10 at 500hrs
HR10-250 at 300hrs
SouthTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #171
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTivo View Post
The original drive was upgraded to an 80GB, then to the 250, and now to the 1TB. Here's the partition map after cloning the 250 to the 1TB and doing an MFSAdd.
Code:
Partition Maps
 #:                  type name                            length base      ( size  )
  1   Apple_partition_map Apple                               63@1         (  31.5K)
  2                 Image Bootstrap 1                       4096@77261888  (   2.0M)
  3                 Image Kernel 1                          4096@77265984  (   2.0M)
  4                  Ext2 Root 1                          262144@77270080  ( 128.0M)
  5                 Image Bootstrap 2                       4096@77532224  (   2.0M)
  6                 Image Kernel 2                          4096@77536320  (   2.0M)
  7                  Ext2 Root 2                          262144@77540416  ( 128.0M)
  8                  Swap Linux swap                     1024000@77802560  ( 500.0M)
  9                  Ext2 /var                            262144@78826560  ( 128.0M)
 10                   MFS MFS application region         1048576@79088704  ( 512.0M)
 11                   MFS MFS media region              33100800@44161088  (  15.8G)
 12                   MFS MFS application region 2       1048576@80137280  ( 512.0M)
 13                   MFS MFS media region 2            44161024@64        (  21.1G)
 14                   MFS MFS App by Winmfs                 1024@81185856  ( 512.0K)
 15                   MFS MFS Expanded by Winmfs      1872332800@81186880  ( 892.8G)
For the sake of everyone else, this is kind of beyond the topic. I will drag my troubles to a more appropriate thread.

One note: I was able to clone the same 250 about a year ago and it worked fine initially. The target drive was a 500GB. The only issue was that the new drive failed after about a month. Basically I am trying the same thing again with the same source drive and a new target drive. Anyway, thanks for the comments!
Did you lose the recorded shows each time you upgraded?
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #172
lillevig
Hot in West Texas
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 1,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTivo View Post
Right you are, it's the SD-DVR40. Many years since it was running the stock 40GB drive. The current upgrade will be from a Seagate 250GB to the Pipeline 1TB.

The Kingwin is such a freak thing. It just worked for that R10 and has stayed working for about 9 months. I have no explanation. But I am going to pull the lid and get the exact drive model number.
I just made a WinMFS image of the original 80GB drive from an R10 if you ever want to start fresh instead of cloning from a larger drive that already has added media partitions.
__________________
"I'm just one story in a two story town." Bon Jovi
lillevig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #173
SouthTivo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The South
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Did you lose the recorded shows each time you upgraded?
No. It was always copy + expand to use the new capacity.
__________________
After 12 years, left DirecTV for Dish Hopper W/Sling and Joey in 2013.
Former DirecTivo equipment:
SDDVR-40 @ 884+hrs
R10 at 300hrs
R10 at 500hrs
HR10-250 at 300hrs
SouthTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #174
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTivo View Post
No. It was always copy + expand to use the new capacity.
Was it done with WinMFS each time, or were earlier times done with the MFS Live cd or MFS Tools?
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #175
SouthTivo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The South
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Was it done with WinMFS each time, or were earlier times done with the MFS Live cd or MFS Tools?
Always MFSLive CD up until now. Not against trying it again. Would that make a difference?
__________________
After 12 years, left DirecTV for Dish Hopper W/Sling and Joey in 2013.
Former DirecTivo equipment:
SDDVR-40 @ 884+hrs
R10 at 300hrs
R10 at 500hrs
HR10-250 at 300hrs
SouthTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:45 PM   #176
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTivo View Post
Always MFSLive CD up until now. Not against trying it again. Would that make a difference?
I'm just trying to figure out how you managed so many upgrades without hitting the 16 partition (or 3 MFS pair) limit.

From that partition map it appears you had 2 MFS pairs on the original 40, so you must have somehow not expanded when you went to the 80 and the 250, and then WinMFS added the third pair going onto the 1TB, or else you didn't expand going to the 80, you did expand going to the 250 (which would have added partitions 14 and 15), and then WinMFS, instead of trying to expand by adding another pair, took 14 and 15 and made them bigger, or actually made 15 bigger.

Only I'm not sure if it can do that. If it can, it's not specifically documented.

Any chance that 250 is still unchanged and you can get the partition map of of it and post it for comparison?

With MFS Live, if you expanded going onto the 80, that should have been the end of your ability to do so.

We may be wandering off-topic a bit here, but as I see it, anybody looking for an adapter wants it so they can use a bigger drive, so information about expansion is relevant.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:46 AM   #177
CrashHD
I am the me.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MO, USA
Posts: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashHD View Post
Did it work?: Yes
TiVo Model: RCA-DVR40
Hard drive model: WD20EURS (2TB)
Adapter retail name: no name
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Y2NI4M $3.83

I bought one from weaknees, to be sure it would work.
I bought two of these from amazon. They are *Exactly* the same. JM20330 chip.
Judging by the illustrations the ones from Amazon differ from the Weaknees product in at least the lack of a Master/Slave jumper, which makes me wonder if they can be used in a 2 drive setup.

Are you able to use all 2TB, and if so, how?
I recently had a chance to test it in a dual drive config. Failed to boot with two EIDE drives on a cable. One was an SATA with this converter, the other was a regular EIDE drive. Tried it both ways (jumper on/off), and in a tivo and a PC. Tivo never booted, PC hung at bios drive detection.

Yes, I believe it was able to utilize the full 2TB. It has about 800 hours SD on it right now, continuing to fill as fast as it can, no problems yet (been running a week now)
__________________
Can you touch your ____ with your ___? Then go ____ yourself?
The answers are (shoulders, hands, hug). If you came up with something else, that's on you
CrashHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:23 AM   #178
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashHD View Post
I recently had a chance to test it in a dual drive config. Failed to boot with two EIDE drives on a cable. One was an SATA with this converter, the other was a regular EIDE drive. Tried it both ways (jumper on/off), and in a tivo and a PC. Tivo never booted, PC hung at bios drive detection.

Yes, I believe it was able to utilize the full 2TB. It has about 800 hours SD on it right now, continuing to fill as fast as it can, no problems yet (been running a week now)
Did you try it both ways, SATA as master, PATA as slave, then PATA as master, SATA as slave?
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #179
CrashHD
I am the me.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MO, USA
Posts: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Did you try it both ways, SATA as master, PATA as slave, then PATA as master, SATA as slave?
No. I was recovering a dual drive setup.

I used dd_rescue to copy a failing drive from a 750GB PATA drive to a 750GB SATA drive. In this instance, the SATA drive was /dev/hda and the pata /dev/hdb.
From a hardware standpoint, it may have been worth trying the other way around, but from a software standpoint, the tivo would never have booted that way.

There's not really reason to futz with dual drive setups anymore, anyway, with 2tb drives being enough to max out a tivo, and so plentifully available at that.
__________________
Can you touch your ____ with your ___? Then go ____ yourself?
The answers are (shoulders, hands, hug). If you came up with something else, that's on you
CrashHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #180
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashHD View Post
No. I was recovering a dual drive setup.

I used dd_rescue to copy a failing drive from a 750GB PATA drive to a 750GB SATA drive. In this instance, the SATA drive was /dev/hda and the pata /dev/hdb.
From a hardware standpoint, it may have been worth trying the other way around, but from a software standpoint, the tivo would never have booted that way.

There's not really reason to futz with dual drive setups anymore, anyway, with 2tb drives being enough to max out a tivo, and so plentifully available at that.
Well, you can run twin 1TBs in an S1 or S2 more easily than you can get them to work with a single 2TB.

But wouldn't that be cool, a dual tuner S2 with twin 2TBs?

I was thinking about swapping those drives while hooked to the PC to see if that made a difference in BIOS detection to possibly gain a clue as to what's going on.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |