TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
Gerryex

OT: Harry Potter question **SPOILERS**

Hi ALL,

Well, its not totally Off Topic as all of the movies have been on TV ending with Deathly Hollows Part 2 just now on a premium channel.

I'm not into reading the books but saw all the movies and I have one very basic question. I know that Voldemort is the epitome of evil but why in the very beginning was he trying to kill Harry, who was just a baby at the time? His folks were killed as they protected Harry, but was Voldemort after them too and if so why? So the question is why was Voldemort seeking to kill the Potter family?

Thanks,
Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
"Voldemort tried to kill you when you were a child because of a prophecy made shortly before your birth. He knew the prophecy had been made, though he did not know its full contents. He set out to kill you when you were still a baby, believing he was fulfilling the terms of the prophecy. He discovered, to his cost, that he was mistaken, when the curse intended to kill you backfired. And so, since his return to his body, and particulalrly since your extraordinary escape from him last year, he has been determined to hear that prophecy in its entirety. This is the weapon he has been seeking so assiduously since his return: the knowledge of how to Destroy you". Albus_Dumbledore
Old 05-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
Gerryex

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
"Voldemort tried to kill you when you were a child because of a prophecy made shortly before your birth.
. . .
This is the weapon he has been seeking so assiduously since his return: the knowledge of how to Destroy you". Albus_Dumbledore
Thanks! Now that I see it did this happen in Deathly Hollows Part 2? Was it when Harry was "killed" and was talking to Dumbledore in that white train station? If so even though I just watched it on Sat and tried to pay very close attention to everything that was happening, this totally ran past me!!

Thanks again,
Gerry
Old 05-14-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
ADent

Just watched this too for the first time. There is apparently a lot more detail in the books.

But basically Harry was killed by Voldemort, but had the choice to come back.

Theories why:
1) He owned all three parts of the deathly hallows, though he only held 1 on him. As master of death he can choose. Downside - he didn't hold all the parts and it sounded like the Deathly Hallows thing was made up by Dumbledore & Friends??

2) Voldemort only killed the Horacrux in Harry. Downside - looks like it killed the Horacrux and Harry, Harry got to choose to come back for some reason.

3) With Harry's blood in Voldemort, he could not die (due to his mothers sacrifice/protective spell), similar to part of Voldemort's soul being in a Horcrux.

In GoF, when Harry tells Dumbledore that he took his blood he says he thought he saw a look of triumph on Dumbledore's face.

I am going with #3.
ADent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
Gerryex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADent View Post
. . .
But basically Harry was killed by Voldemort, but had the choice to come back.
. . .
Thanks! That was the other question I was going to ask!

Gerry