TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #241
sk33t3r

So your still on 6.2a and you expect the locals to be back???
HR21-200
HR20-100
DRD420re
sk33t3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #242
wetchemistry

He needs to call in again....
wetchemistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #243
sk33t3r

Or just download the slices and run the slicer which you have to purchase. And if your going to purchase the slicer why no just get a image
HR21-200
HR20-100
DRD420re
sk33t3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #244
dc123

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk33t3r View Post
So your still on 6.2a and you expect the locals to be back???
who is this addressed to?
dc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #245
wetchemistry

skeeter, one of the reasons a lot of people have had this problem since it started is that they do not have access to their machines via network, serial, or telekinesis. They just want to get their DVR up and running without hacking into it. I can't say I blame them. Most of these people never hacked their Tivos in the first place, so have no clue what the slicer and image do.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #246
dc123

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetchemistry View Post
skeeter, one of the reasons a lot of people have had this problem since it started is that they do not have access to their machines via network, serial, or telekinesis. They just want to get their DVR up and running without hacking into it. I can't say I blame them. Most of these people never hacked their Tivos in the first place, so have no clue what the slicer and image do.
thats me... although if i had a 6.4 iso for a hughes sd dvr80 i would burn it to an extra hard drive and swap out the drive. however, it chaps my ass to have to pay $40 to fix the problem when all I did was disconnect my tivo from the phone for several years. i did that because the phone jack wasn't convenient and because there were some reports of upgrades causing issues.

i have no idea what the slicer is.

i could always switch to fios and get a sweet deal from them. however that would mean no sunday ticket and a lamer mlb package.
dc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #247
thegreen

Quote:
+1 here.
Not hacked; hooked up to phone/sat by a Dtv tech years ago.
Some of us never got it back then and now just need to get it fixed. I tinker w/ phones and pc's, just not interested in tivos. They're my wife's, and I got finals.
thegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #248
wetchemistry

skeeter. The other way is that the DTV customer did not have it connected to a phone line. A lot of people have no land line, the reason is, why pay for it when all they need is a cell phone.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:21 AM   #249
thegreen

Noob Question Time!

Is it possible/likely that the software is on my boxes but just not getting installed? If so, is there any way to check?
Old 05-14-2012, 07:43 AM   #250
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Not unless you hack.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #251
tomc585

As long as they (DTV) keep the locals active in the 300's I can live with it the way it is.

HR21-200
SD-DVR320
D11-100
tomc585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #252
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yes, since you're in the NYC locals area, that is an option for you. For many others, it isn't. (LA area can use the west coast feeds).
Old 05-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #253
55tbird

host name lookup failure

I've been trying to get the 6.4a slice by using the following;

wget -O /var/packages/getslice http://www.dvrupgrade.com/software/u...-6.4a-01-2-321

but I keep getting the telnet response;

wget:www.dvrupgrade.com: host name lookup failure

I've verified that my service ID begins with a 321 so what's going on?

P.S. I've already verified via the command

echo mls /SwSystem | tivosh

that I currently only have the 6.2a version.
55tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #254
Ken Crane

Quote:
+1 here.
Not hacked; hooked up to phone years ago.
I never got it back then and now just need to get it fixed.
Ken Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:28 PM   #255
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Thanks to your inputs, it looks like Tivo has figured out the problem ....

Here's what we know at this time.

1. Thanks to your help the issue has been identified. The download is in the stream but there is an authentication issue preventing some models from receiving it.
2. DirecTV is working with TiVo to resolve.
3. No official ETA but a fix is expected soon (can't commit a time frame yet)
4. Outside of the phone connection there should be no need for users to take additional steps.

Hopefully they'll get it fixed soon. Stay tuned.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #256
thegreen

Thanks for the update!
Old 05-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #257
elmariachi

My unit is now stuck on the "Powering Up..." welcome screen. I was having the same problem with the lost local channels for the last week. I called DirecTV to see what the problem was. Since I have Viop phone service my unit call in was hit and miss. I could go for aver a year without a successful call-in. The last update I had was 6.2a. The tech I spoke with said he knew exactly what the problem was, Well after about a half hour of making some setting changes so my unit (Hughes SD-DVR40) could make a forced call I gave up. I went on line and found some settings that seemed to work for the phone test, but it wouldn't work for the forced call. I left it at that since I had read this thread and figured until DirecTV got it's act together I could live with the locals on the 390s.

Well, I think my unit may have gotten a conenection last night and maybe gotten part of the new 6.4 update. This morning when I went to watch TV the unit wouldn't come on. I unplugged the unit and it turned on but it got stuck on the "Powering Up..." screen. After several attempt to get it to work I figured I would let it sit there all day to see if it would fix itself. No luck. When I got back from work it was still on this screen.

Does anyone know if there is a way to reset the unit? Could this be due to the update or has my unit finally fried? I would love to get some programs that I had saved on there back (never got around to during them to DVD).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Looking for the easiest route, and will perhaps do a hack as a last resort as long as it's not too complicated.
elmariachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:58 AM   #258
Ken Crane

Many thanks for your help which is much appreciated.

However, I am skeptical of the following piece of information given to you by DTV as IMO the problem is not " an authentication issue preventing some models from receiving it." but it is with all models as not one person has been able to get the download.

I am hoping for the best but don't have high expectations.

Thanks again for taking your time to try help resolve this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by litzdog911 View Post
Thanks to your inputs, it looks like Tivo has figured out the problem ....

Here's what we know at this time.

1. Thanks to your help the issue has been identified. The download is in the stream but there is an authentication issue preventing some models from receiving it.
2. DirecTV is working with TiVo to resolve.
3. No official ETA but a fix is expected soon (can't commit a time frame yet)
4. Outside of the phone connection there should be no need for users to take additional steps.

Hopefully they'll get it fixed soon. Stay tuned.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:34 AM   #259
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
My unit is now stuck on the "Powering Up..." welcome screen. .....
Sounds like your hard drive bit the dust. Probably unrelated to the software update issue.
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
Old 05-15-2012, 07:28 AM   #260
fooz

It's funny, it took DirecTV over a month to decide to ask their customers for some input to help solve the problem. Then supposedly in a couple of days of getting the input they have identified the problem. Hmm, perhaps if they deleted the "offending" posts from their forums instead of whole threads they would have had some insight to this issue earlier.

Good Customer Service is how a company handles issues or mistakes, and unfortunately in my case they bungled this one.
fooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #261
wishbone4401

Okay - the good news - I provided my DVR / TIVO information (HR10-250) to Litzdog911 and when I forced the phone call this morning, it lasted only a few seconds and the call status came back showing “pending restart” as opposed to “successful”. After forcing the restart, the system came back during the power up message saying a service update was in progress and may take up to an hour. It took about 15 minutes and when it came back up, the system information display showed the software version was now 6.4a. The bad news - not all of the local channels came back. Those that had been totally missing from the guide are back (in my case in Denver 6,12,31) Those that had been in the guide but produced a blank screen (4,7,9 - network channels) were not and a re-authorization did not solve the problem. The original guidance from Directv was that if this happened after the update, to wait 4 hours and then go to the “restart or reset system” menu and select the “clear program information and to do list” option which will require re-entering season pass information. Since I didn’t have season pass information on this receiver that I cared about, I went ahead and did it. It took about 2 hours for the receiver to complete the task and when it finished, all the local channels returned. Also, as near as I can tell, my season pass manager is still intact (the selections and to do list seem normal) but if it still works or not is another issue.

Regarding comments about hacked boxes having a flag set to not allow software updates, this receiver has a replacement hard drive from DVRupgrade that was on 6.3e and was always hooked up to a phone line. In this case, it didn’t have network connectivity (PTVnet was not installed) so I’m assuming the flag wasn’t set since the update worked.
wishbone4401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:22 AM   #262
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Thanks for the follow-up, wishbone. Great news!
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
Old 05-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #263
thegreen

Boxes now updating after a phone call/ reboot. Will post results later...
Old 05-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #264
tomc585

guess i'll give it another try and bring my unit to work and hook up the phone.

HR21-200
SD-DVR320
D11-100
Old 05-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #265
Ken Crane

NO good news for me - forced a phone call & rebooted my 6.3.e SAMSUNG SIR-S4080R & got NO MESSAGE re a service update - just the same old reloading channels to 84% with no local or PBS channels.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #266
tomc585

let us know what box's your having success with

HR21-200
SD-DVR320
D11-100
Old 05-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #267
Techguy9707

OK... I have been a DirectTV TIVO subscriber since 2001. I have had about 4 different pieces of hardware in place due to different hardware failures over the years. I was holding my breath hoping the Phillips DSR704 box I am using now with v3.5 OS was going to make it until a good DirecTIVO receiver was in cplace and could be used with my "lifetime" TIVO subscription.

This past weekend, we bought a new TV and that required a new cabinet for the TV a tear down of all components. I unplugged the TIVo and when I rebooted, I had the "lost locals" issue. I called D* and talked with 3 different first line "techs" and mentioned i was on a series 2 TIVO to all of them. I ended up getting hung up on... after about 20 minutes of hold music. I called back and the tech said asked when the last time I called in using the land line... I think my machine said it was about 2,200 days since my last call. She said I need to have the daily call completed and that is should be OK tomorrow. I even had to get new phone numbers for dial-in.

The next evening... same problems. I called, the tech knew the OS needed to be current and asked me to make a forced daily call and they might be back in 24 hours... that will be tonight.

The funny thing is when I installed the new 50 inch plasma HDTV, I said to myself I was going to try the local FIOS MediaRoom offering from SureWest with it's HD signal and bundled internet service. I had already started getting the new account set-up.

I have been a long time loyal D* customer and TIVO supporter. I am tired of messing with failing HDD and power supplies and my current TIVO runs at 60def Celsius...it doubles as a space heater.

I am done. Goodbye TIVO... good bye DirecTV.
Techguy9707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #268
wishbone4401

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishbone4401 View Post
Also, as near as I can tell, my season pass manager is still intact (the selections and to do list seem normal) but if it still works or not is another issue.
Now that my receiver has had a chance to download part of the guide, it appears all the season passes will have to be re-entered. The to do list and season pass lists look normal but they are not finding the programs to record. At least the season passes can be re-entered and deleted one at a time without having to work from a written list, screen photographs or memory.
wishbone4401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #269
thegreen

OK- on both of my R10's I forced a call, then rebooted. Got a message they needed to install a system update, and rebooted themselves. OS showed 6.4a, but no locals yet. Cleared the Program/To Do list... took about 2 1/2 hours... locals came back. Guide data has slowly restored. passes are there, but may need to be re-entered.
Good luck, y'all.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:16 AM   #270
yknott

Has anyone with a Philips DSR708 been updated. Still stuck in 6.2. Doing the force phone call several times a day with no luck. I'm in Kalamazoo Michigan.