TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

My Comcast Rant

Wow....I mean wow.....

Since Xfinity OnDemand is coming to Boston, I bought my mom a Premiere. She currently has Motorola/Comcast/Tivo and didn't want to give up OnDemand. I spent close to FIVE hours today on the phone with various Comcast reps trying to pair a cable card. I couldn't believe the incompetence all around. One rep even told me that the "M" in "M-Card" stood for Motorola. I explained that it stood for multistream and after spending several minutes looking it up he agreed.

I finally threw in the towel and called Tivo. They were super helpful and got Comcast on the line. The Tivo rep guessed that I had a bad card based on the the way the card was acting. I picked up the card from a service center. First I was told they didn't have any and when I started to look pissed off the woman was kind enough to look out back. She came back with just a card. There was no packaging or paperwork or anything. She just handed me a card. I am guessing it is one that someone else already returned because it doesn't work. They ended up scheduling a technician visit which is pretty ridiculous.

I have never felt so lucky to have Verizon FIOS. My two separate cable card installs went pretty smoothly despite one of the techs admitting to never have done one before. He was still able to get it working in about 20 minutes.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
I always call these guys as soon as it becomes clear that it's not going to happen though the usual channels.: TiVo CableCard Hotline: 866-986-8486

They work for TiVo and were a lot of help the last couple of times. It was still HARD, don't get me wrong but they knew the right questions to ask. In the end, most Cablecard problems are because someone flipped a digit or the info never made it to your local headend correctly. A call to the local head end from Comcast usually clears it up. Getting them to make the call is the hard part, and that's where the Hot line comes in handy.

UPDATE: Phone number updated above to reflect the TiVo Hotline (Not Comcast).

Last edited by bareyb : 05-13-2012 at 03:10 PM.
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
blackngold75

It may depend on your service area. I have, in the past, had FiOS techs set up CableCards for me, and within the past year I had Comcast techs setup the cards. The techs from both companies were excellent, and I have not had any problems with either. In fact, my Comcast tech went out of his way to help me solve a problem that was obviously due to a wiring problem on my end.

Sorry for the trouble you experienced, but its not all horror-stories out there.
blackngold75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
I always call these guys as soon as it becomes clear that it's not going to happen though the usual channels.: Comcast Cablecard Hotline: 1-877-405-2298

They work for TiVo and were a lot of help the last couple of times. It was still HARD, don't get me wrong but they knew the right questions to ask. In the end, most Cablecard problems are because someone flipped a digit or the info never made it to your local headend correctly. A call to the local head end from Comcast usually clears it up. Getting them to make the call is the hard part, and that's where the Hot line comes in handy.
Interesting, are you saying that TiVo employees or subcontractors man that number?

I self-installed a cable card a couple of weeks ago and that was the activation phone number on the directions I was given by Comcast when I picked up the card (FWIW, I got a packaging-less card too). I have to say that other than having difficulty understand the rep I spoke with due to her accent, things went pretty smoothly.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbourgeo View Post
Interesting, are you saying that TiVo employees or subcontractors man that number?

I self-installed a cable card a couple of weeks ago and that was the activation phone number on the directions I was given by Comcast when I picked up the card (FWIW, I got a packaging-less card too). I have to say that other than having difficulty understand the rep I spoke with due to her accent, things went pretty smoothly.
They are TiVo employees as far as I know.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
She came back with just a card. There was no packaging or paperwork or anything. She just handed me a card. I am guessing it is one that someone else already returned because it doesn't work.
Well, that may have been the case, of course, but the packaging is not a reliable indicator. CATV companies don't buy retail, you know. They buy in wholesale lots that are packaged by the case, and many of the devices they receive have no individual packaging, at all.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #7
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
They are TiVo employees as far as I know.
Wow, I never would have guessed that in a million years.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbourgeo View Post
Wow, I never would have guessed that in a million years.
And you'd have been right. I just called, and got the same lady I think. She said she works for Comcast. Either they took it over or I posted the wrong phone number for the guys at TiVo who helped me. It's probably written on a scrap of paper in the landfill somewhere... I'll have to update my address book.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #9
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

I did a lot of googling during my four and a half hours on the phone and I came across the hotline number on another forum. It was an old post and some followup posts said it was useless so I didn't even bother with it. Now I wish I had.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
And you'd have been right. I just called, and got the same lady I think. She said she works for Comcast. Either they took it over or I posted the wrong phone number for the guys at TiVo who helped me. It's probably written on a scrap of paper in the landfill somewhere... I'll have to update my address book.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:34 AM   #11
ggieseke

TiVo has a dedicated CableCARD hotline too.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/141
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:41 AM   #12
robla64

I am having the same problems. I have had a Series3 with cablecard for a few years and it works fine. I recently picked up a Premier and can't get it going with a Cablecard. I have spent hours on the phone, yesterday when they were going to transfer me to a higher level support, I got booted out of the phone system.
This is my second card, and they say the can see the card on their end but the Tivo keeps saying acquiring channels.
I'm ready to just hook it up to an antenna.
robla64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #13
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by robla64 View Post
I am having the same problems. I have had a Series3 with cablecard for a few years and it works fine. I recently picked up a Premier and can't get it going with a Cablecard. I have spent hours on the phone, yesterday when they were going to transfer me to a higher level support, I got booted out of the phone system.
This is my second card, and they say the can see the card on their end but the Tivo keeps saying acquiring channels.
I'm ready to just hook it up to an antenna.
That is the exact problem that I am having. The tech comes tomorrow.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #14
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
TiVo has a dedicated CableCARD hotline too.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/141
Ah. That must have been it. Thanks. I have updated my Address book.

TiVo Cablecard Hotline: 866-986-8486
Old 05-13-2012, 09:40 PM   #15
marqattacks

I had a lot of issues with installing a cable card when I got my first TiVo, and then again when I got my TiVo Premier. I called for installation with a cable card and they brought their own DVR. I didn't accept the device and said they would return with a card. They returned all right, but with another DVR. Finally they said I would shave to pick up the card from the local office myself. But it still required a third visit from an installer to get it to work. The third installer didn't know what to do so a fourth had to come by.
marqattacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:57 PM   #16
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by marqattacks View Post
I had a lot of issues with installing a cable card when I got my first TiVo, and then again when I got my TiVo Premier. I called for installation with a cable card and they brought their own DVR. I didn't accept the device and said they would return with a card. They returned all right, but with another DVR. Finally they said I would shave to pick up the card from the local office myself. But it still required a third visit from an installer to get it to work. The third installer didn't know what to do so a fourth had to come by.
Was this with Comcast? I'm really not looking forward to my tech visit tomorrow.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:46 PM   #17
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
Was this with Comcast? I'm really not looking forward to my tech visit tomorrow.
The good news is, if it's going to work, it will probably work with the first card. If not, then buckle up and be prepared to be patient.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #18
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
The good news is, if it's going to work, it will probably work with the first card. If not, then buckle up and be prepared to be patient.
The tech came and restarted the box. The cable card magically worked. I went through at least a dozen resets the other day. I am certain that Comcast changed something on their end but the tech wouldn't admit to anything. Oh well, at least it's working.