TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
Cheezmo

Moca and ethernet in unusual setup

I have a somewhat unusual FiOS setup.

I have my TV and Phone on one ONT (residential) (there is "internet present here for the FiOS STB" but not usable for anything else).
My internet is on a separate ONT (small business) which provides the normal internet for my house.

So, a Tivo Elite would be connected to Moca (through the FiOS coax connection) but I would also want it connected to ethernet for use with Tivo Transfer to my computers, etc.

If it bridges those two networks it would be a bad thing as both have their own DHCP servers. Or, will the Tivo multihome and have unique IP addresses on both networks.

So, is there a away to disable the Moca and have it just use the Ethernet even when Moca is present on the coax input?

I may get a second Elite and Tivo to Tivo streaming would also happen over ethernet, not Moca.

Hoping too many network interfaces isn't actually a bad thing.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

I dont' have an Elite but I do use MoCa on my Premieres. I assume the Elite only uses MoCa if you tell it too. Using ethernet shouldn't be a problem.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
BigJimOutlaw

You can choose whatever internet connection is available. You won't be forced to use Moca.

I don't think you could use Moca on the Elite anyway since the TV coax is on a separate network from the internet connection, unless I'm missing something. But it doesn't matter in any event. You can just choose ethernet.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 05-12-2012 at 11:39 AM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
Cheezmo

There is a local Moca network used by the FiOS DVR, but you are correct the TiVo would not be able to use it for guide data downloads, etc. but it probably could for device to device streaming. That is why it is important to me that it NOT use it or try to bridge it to the ethernet.