TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #31
jrtroo
User

I'm going to have to start rethinking Hulu instead of Netflix for my app viewing needs.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #32
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettf View Post
1) When I watch a piece of content on Netflix that was found via the TiVo Browse and Search function the content should immediately start playing when I hit Watch Now from Netflix (or any other app source for that matter). This should also be a user choice since I am sure some people don't want the content to play immediately after they push Watch Now from...Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/Xfinity.
Margret said Netflix's API doesn't support this which is why in the new app you no longer have the ability to do this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #33
sbiller

Does someone have 42 minutes to spare? I think the answer to our questions may be in this video.

Webkit in Your Living Room - Netflix

sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #34
TVCricket
HDUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Margret at TiVo has agreed to provide a list of comments directly to Netflix on things the user community would like changed with the current app. These need to be items that are controllable by Netflix (i.e., integral to their app). Therefore things like adding Netflix to the My Shows queue, etc. might not be applicable.

Please let me know what changes you would like to see to the new Netflix app.

I will start and modify the post as feedback is received in this message thread.

--------------------------------------

Requested changes to Netflix

1) Start the stream in 1080p24 for those users who have that video resolution selected. This would avoid the TV black-out as the output stream switches from 1080i to 1080p and the HDMI sync is renegotiated.
2) Make "Info" button display information on what a viewer is watching. Be as consistent as possible with the TiVo buttons.
3) Don't use the "Clear" button to exit the application. If possible, let it clear the status bar during playback, but if not, just disable it.

4) Provide a description of the next watchable episode when selecting a series from my queue. Currently it puts a description of the entire series, a random picture from the episode and a unfriendly label like "S3:E12". That isn't very meaningful. It would be beneficial to provide the name and have description of the episode. That would be more useful than a random still image for the episode, if space is a concern.
5) Play button should show progress, and not pause the program.
6) When I watch a piece of content on Netflix that was found via the TiVo Browse and Search function the content should immediately start playing when I hit Watch Now from Netflix. This should also be a user choice since I am sure some people don't want the content to play immediately after they push Watch Now from...Netflix.
7) TiVo please pull in more metadata from Netflix into your HD menus. It would be nice if there was a DD/DD+ 2.0/5.1 icons and 720p/1080i/1080p/24f icons so the purists can watch it in its native format.
8) Add Netflix recommendations into browse, so I don't have to launch the app to see what Netflix has new for me to watch. There could be a option in Collections have a Netflix than pull in the Netflix recommendations with category filters(Just For You, Based on X, More Supernatural, Popular on Netflix).
Thank you for putting together this list. The ones I bolded were the ones I immediately noticed. And I agree with someone who mentioned about consistent controls throughout the Premiere. Do not understand how these types of features weren't passed along to Netflix at the outset. Another weird thing is having no sound or effects when navigating the Netflix app. Going up and down one by one isn't exactly fun either. I actually prefer the old List view because you could hit Channel Up/Down to quickly go through your Queue. Now it's slowed to a crawl because you have to go 1 by 1. This is one of the main reasons I hate using the PS3.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #35
JfNebraska
HD Initiate

I agree that the 1080P/24 ramp up is a problem.

My network connection also seems to be too inconsistent to hold a 1080P/24 stream (i.e., my signal keeps switching back to something less). But I'm not yet seeing others complaining about that issue, so maybe it's my setup.
JfNebraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #36
MrJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVCricket View Post
I actually prefer the old List view because you could hit Channel Up/Down to quickly go through your Queue. Now it's slowed to a crawl because you have to go 1 by 1. This is one of the main reasons I hate using the PS3.
I love the PS3 Netflix compared to the old TiVo one. One awesome thing is that while watching a series it pops up a menu at the bottom of the screen during the end credits allowing you to start the next episode without having to exit the current one. Based on what I am reading here, I seems like I am going to be disappointed when I get home. (I have the new app, just haven't had a chance to mess with it).

Yep, just a one TV/one TiVo house. :)
MrJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #37
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Changing the behavior of the D-Pad left arrow would be inconsistent with other Netflix implementations.
True, but one could make a case that this is a TiVo, and should act more like a TiVo. I will speculate that most of the customers using Netflix on a TiVo are not going to be bouncing back and forth between a TiVo, a Roku, a DVD player with Netflix, a TV with Netflix, a Wii, and an Xbox.

It is not like Netflix offers any support to end users, so they shouldn't care if the buttons are mapped differently. As a programmer, I also find it hard to believe that different key mapping is difficult, technologically, at all.

Looks like the key mapping is the #1 complaint from users so far, so who is "right"- Netflix or the users? Maybe we should take a poll of everyone and forward the results through Margret to them. Maybe if they see 99% of TiVo users saying the key mapping is "broken" and should be changed, they might listen?

Last edited by crxssi : 05-11-2012 at 04:42 PM.
crxssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #38
CharlesH

OK, suppose I am someone who hasn't used Netflix on other platforms. The TiVo Netflix app comes up. How am I supposed to intuit what keystrokes do what (like using "Clear" to exit the app)? On all the other TiVo screens, there is some hint as to how you can navigate out of it.

How does Netflix work on iOS devices? Apple is very strict that applications fit in with THEIR UI guidelines, and I would expect that Netflix saying that "we do it this way on other platforms" would get them a patronizing snicker from Apple.

In my opinion, multi-application platforms should conform with the UI guidelines of the particular platform as much as possible. When I am using an application on my TiVo, I expect it to work like the rest of TiVo. When I am on a Windows PC, I am thinking the Windows UI model, and similarly if I am on an Apple OSX device. It wouldn't occur to me to go into a "this is how this particular application does things" mode.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #39
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Margret said Netflix's API doesn't support this which is why in the new app you no longer have the ability to do this.
That Sucks...Netflix create that API PLEASE.
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #40
sbiller

Netflix App

As I suspected the long load times for the Netflix App are related to the app being a download every time it is launched.

The good news is that Netflix can update the app whenever they want based on user feedback.

Here is my prediction. Right now TiVo doesn't have enough users to demand a unique app. If Netflix is turned on for the Virgin Media TiVo in the UK, I could definitely see them updating it to be more TiVo-like. There will be 1M+ Virgin Media TiVo users this year and they are adding about 1M users per year.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #41
aaroncgi

Fail

1. How about a user guide? I just noticed this update, and it's no longer logical which button does which function - ie not consistent with other Tivo functions. We need to know which buttons do what, particularly for exit, back, etc.

2. I still haven't found any way to exit a Netflix program without going all the way back out to the Tivo main menu. This is maddening and needlessly time wasteful when trying to watch multiple episodes of a TV series.

3. When viewing a selection with multiple episodes (ie a TV series), the first selection no longer brings up a list of episodes. There's yet another step where you have to select 'more episodes', pointless. The list should come up when you first select the show.

4. The channel down/up and skip forward/back buttons no longer function. Now I have to scroll through our entire list of 90+ selections ONE AT A TIME, or use a clunky search, instead of scrolling a page at a time or to the start/end of the list. This is ridiculous. And there are only four selections of the list shown on the screen at a time, instead of the 15+ that were on the previous version. What is this, 1995?? And despite only having four selections showing at a time, they're much harder to read than a simple text list.

5. To top all this off, the new application is at least twice as slow to load initially and to start a program once you hit play. And the old application was no speed demon already. Plus, the quality for everything so far is no better, and often much worse.

So to me, this is the definition of an epic fail. How do I revert to the old application?
aaroncgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #42
Drewster
Shooting blanks

I find the on-screen keyboard to be excessively slow. Both the keyboard itself (physical key press to on-screen movement if the cursor) and the delay of the live-search results for EVERY key press.

And the keyboards for user/pass login vs search are different. I struggle to think of how that was a good idea.

I would appreciate heavier fonts.

-Andrew
Old 05-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #43
GoEagles

I found this odd but, when you search for content on TiVo and then click on an item to view a specific episode, it doesn't play that episode directly, you have to search for that specific episode. That isn't intuitive at all.
GoEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #44
rogmatic

I don't have the Netflix folder in my Now Playing list in SD menus buy I do in HD. I can't add it because when I go to video on demand there is no option to do so. Any ideas?
rogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #45
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaroncgi
2. I still haven't found any way to exit a Netflix program without going all the way back out to the Tivo main menu. This is maddening and needlessly time wasteful when trying to watch multiple episodes of a TV series.
Press up.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:19 PM   #46
mrsean

Does anyone know how to reset the Netflix app? Everytime I start it, I see the "Are you a member?" screen in gray and then it immediately asks me for my credit card info as in for a new signup. I am already a Netflix subscriber.

So far, I've tried all of the arrow keys and clear. I've also removed Netflix and re-added it but that did nothing.

Update: I found out that I improperly entered my username the first time. So how can get back to the "Are You A Member?" screen.

Last edited by mrsean : 05-12-2012 at 03:45 PM.
mrsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:26 PM   #47
gteague
golftango

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
<del>

Looks like the key mapping is the #1 complaint from users so far, so who is "right"- Netflix or the users? Maybe we should take a poll of everyone and forward the results through Margret to them. Maybe if they see 99% of TiVo users saying the key mapping is "broken" and should be changed, they might listen?
i'm not a programmer, and i can prove it! but for the life of me i can't see why tivo can't map the button presses on their end. in other words, if netflix requires a given signal to exit, why can't tivo map the left arrow button to perform whatever netflix thinks is an 'exit' code while the tivo user is in the netflix app?

am i over-simplifying the problem here? or perhaps when we enter the netflix module there is no tivo control whatsoever and tivo cedes all button control. but even then it would seem to me that netflix could do a simple 'tivo overlay' layer on top of the application software to remap the buttons.

/guy
Old 05-12-2012, 01:08 AM   #48
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogmatic View Post
I don't have the Netflix folder in my Now Playing list in SD menus buy I do in HD. I can't add it because when I go to video on demand there is no option to do so. Any ideas?
Mine shows up in both, however the SD My Shows launch point doesn't work while the HD launch point does. I can launch from SD Showcases though. The option to add/remove Netflix from My Shows is gone probably because that was an SDUI relevant option and TiVo is slowly crippling SDUI more and more to get remaining stragglers over to HDUI.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:04 AM   #49
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoEagles View Post
I found this odd but, when you search for content on TiVo and then click on an item to view a specific episode, it doesn't play that episode directly, you have to search for that specific episode. That isn't intuitive at all.
Margret explained this in another thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...30#post9088530

"If you find movie in TiVo Search, we can take you directly to that movie in the Netflix app.

If you find a specific episode of a series in the TiVo UI, we can tell that Netflix has that episode, but there is no way for us to take you directly to that episode in the Netflix app. (They don't have an API to support it.) The best we came up with was to take you to the Netflix app and execute a Search for that series. "

Old 05-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #50
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Mine shows up in both, however the SD My Shows launch point doesn't work while the HD launch point does. I can launch from SD Showcases though. The option to add/remove Netflix from My Shows is gone probably because that was an SDUI relevant option and TiVo is slowly crippling SDUI more and more to get remaining stragglers over to HDUI.
This needs confirmation and rewording- sounds like it should be in the changelog... (I do not have Netflix, so I cannot test/experiment).
Old 05-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #51
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
i'm not a programmer, and i can prove it! but for the life of me i can't see why tivo can't map the button presses on their end. in other words, if netflix requires a given signal to exit, why can't tivo map the left arrow button to perform whatever netflix thinks is an 'exit' code while the tivo user is in the netflix app?

am i over-simplifying the problem here? or perhaps when we enter the netflix module there is no tivo control whatsoever and tivo cedes all button control. but even then it would seem to me that netflix could do a simple 'tivo overlay' layer on top of the application software to remap the buttons.

/guy
Good point. It does seem like some TiVo driver subroutine would have to map hardware codes received from the remote control to some kind of logical button codes. Maybe they could just swap in a different mapping table before entering Netflix mode and then switch back to the normal table when exiting Netflix mode.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #52
b_scott
TiVo Fan

I like it, it's the same as the PS3 app which I always used because of the PQ and the 1080p/5.1

My only issue other than the non-intuitive exit controls, is that once it switches to 1080p my Tivo freaks out and blacks out for a moment. This should be seamless like on PS3, a graduated change.

I only have 1080i/p selected in my Tivo settings, and I don't think I can ONLY select 1080p upconversion. So this will happen every time.

edit: new issue. If you rewind and then play, the audio un-syncs and you have no audio until you go back to the menu and hit play again.

Last edited by b_scott : 05-12-2012 at 01:44 PM.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #53
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
This needs confirmation and rewording- sounds like it should be in the changelog... (I do not have Netflix, so I cannot test/experiment).
I don't think it's a bug. It's intentional. Netflix launch point from My Shows in SDUI is no longer intended to be available, so you have to use HDUI if you want this. Else just go to Showcases in SDUI to launch it.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #54
moyekj

BTW I haven't seen much mention of this but having working captions in Netflix is a significant feature IMO and I will use it all the time. One small issue with it is with captions enabled when there is music but no dialog all you see is a box with an X in it for a caption (instead of ideally no caption or a music symbol). Like other remote functions for Netflix it's not the easiest thing to toggle on/off and you have to enable it separately for each show you play back but it's still great to have something available.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #55
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
I like it, it's the same as the PS3 app which I always used because of the PQ and the 1080p/5.1

My only issue other than the non-intuitive exit controls, is that once it switches to 1080p my Tivo freaks out and blacks out for a moment. This should be seamless like on PS3, a graduated change.

I only have 1080i/p selected in my Tivo settings, and I don't think I can ONLY select 1080p upconversion. So this will happen every time.
The only way to avoid this is to only select one resolution output like 720P or 1080i. SInce the TiVo cannot scale to 1080P, any time it switchcs between resolutions it is going to have to re-sync the HDMI input, just like every HDMI device has to when it switches output resolutions

Other devices like the PS3 can be set to scale everything to 1080P output so this never happens. If the TiVo could scale to 1080P60 like the PS3 it would not happen with this. But just switch to one output resolution of 720P or 1080i if you want to avoid it.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #56
jrtroo
User

So, does anyone know how to show progress without pausing? I'm tired of guessing. Does it even exist?
Old 05-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #57
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
So, does anyone know how to show progress without pausing? I'm tired of guessing. Does it even exist?
You pause. Just like on most of the Netflix Apps on other devices.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #58
JfNebraska
HD Initiate

I just want to weigh in again that the picture quality of this app is very, very good. I don't use Hulu or Amazon, so I can't compare those, but this Netflix app has better picture quality than Comcast HD, Dish Network HD (which is inferior to Comcast HD), or AppleTV.

Personally, I will sacrifice a large amount of convenience and gladly climb a non-intuitive learning curve to get the best possible picture. Put another way, if something is available on Netflix (a fairly paltry selection to be sure), I will watch it there, even if it's also available on my other sources.

Last edited by JfNebraska : 05-12-2012 at 07:08 PM.
JfNebraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:03 AM   #59
Larry in TN

Has anyone put together a summary of what the remote buttons do in the new Netflix app?
Larry in TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:14 AM   #60
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry in TN View Post
Has anyone put together a summary of what the remote buttons do in the new Netflix app?
Play is play/pause
FF is FF
REW is REW
Pause will pause/play during playback

Right on the D pad is FF
Left of the D pad is REW

Select or Play will start a title
Pause/Play/Select will pause and play the title during playback

Up on the D-pad exits to the Netflix app while playing a title.

And of course Live TV, the TiVo button, etc will completely exit the App and take you back to the normal TiVo menus and TV playback etc.
(And I think someone mentioned the clear button will exit out of the Netflix App too, but I've never tried it since I don't use that button since you only need the upper two thirds of the remote when using the Netflix app)

Last edited by aaronwt : 05-13-2012 at 01:20 AM.