Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
billypritchard
Embiggener

The Vampire Diaries - "The Departed" - 5/10/12

So, what did everyone think about that?

Elena in transition, Klaus in Tyler's body, Alaric dead. Quite a lot happened in this one.

Elena chose Stefan. Good. Now I wish they would cut the triangle crap, but I know they won't. Will Elena blame Stefan for turning? Did Stefan or Elena know about the blood? Whose blood was it?

I know Photoshopgrl was happy to see Elijah. That guy is pretty cool.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
robojerk

The lady doctor admitted to dosing Elana with vampire blood to heal her.

I thought Bonnie hated vampires. Why does she keep saving them?
Old 05-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
hummingbird_206

I'm so bummed that Ric is dead and we're still stuck with Bonnie, Matt, and Jeremy. But at least Tyler isn't dead. We got rid of the crappy Klaus actor but get to keep the character through Tyler. That should make for an interesting dilemma for Caroline.

Glad to see Elijah back. Hopefully he'll stick around for next season.

So Elena will be a vamp now. Huh, that will be fun.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
cheesesteak
Meh.

Thank the gods that Klaus is dead.

Stefan is one slow vampire. I guess being underwater seriously puts the brakes on vamp speed and power.

Elena should stay the heck off of that bridge.

I think Elena will make becomes the world's boringest vampire.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
nyny523
Oy

While I was watching, I was certain I could hear a squeal all the way from Ohio when Elijah showed up...

Pretty good finale - lots of fun stuff going on. I will miss cute Alaric. I won't miss Klaus.

But honestly - did anyone NOT know that Elena would pick Stefan? REALLY???

Looking forward to next season...
Old 05-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

HOLY CRAP THEY DID IT. My face was literally like this when it finally sunk in what was going on. I never thought they'd actually turn her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
I know Photoshopgrl was happy to see Elijah. That guy is pretty cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
While I was watching, I was certain I could hear a squeal all the way from Ohio when Elijah showed up...
I'm not kidding you guys, I knew he was showing up this episode but had totally forgotten and I did indeed literally squee and raise my arms up in the air in goal post format. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
Will Elena blame Stefan for turning? Did Stefan or Elena know about the blood? Whose blood was it?
I honestly don't think this is one she can blame on the usual suspects. She has nobody to blame but the doctor that I can think of. And I'm betting every penny in my savings that it's the blood she jacked from Damon. So now she's a baby vamp from Damon. After she chose Stefan. Yeah, that triangle is not ending any time soon. Gag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
Honestly, I believe if it weren't for Caroline being one, she'd have let the rest of them die, even her mom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
I'm so bummed that Ric is dead and we're still stuck with Bonnie, Matt, and Jeremy. But at least Tyler isn't dead. We got rid of the crappy Klaus actor but get to keep the character through Tyler. That should make for an interesting dilemma for Caroline.
Yeah she's got Klaus in Tyler's body. That's just wrong. WRONG I TELL YOU. It will be interesting to see how Michael Trevino plays Klaus. I have no doubt that he'll be 1000000x more interesting than Joseph Morgan as the part. I am really bummed we lose the character of Tyler though. I mean it's not like Klaus can go get his own body back now is there? Or is there? Maybe they can have Bonnie come up with some magic that un-toasts a body. Hell, why not? It seems there's no limit to what they can do as witches on this show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
But honestly - did anyone NOT know that Elena would pick Stefan? REALLY???
Apparently the only person surprised was Damon. But of course, like I said, I bet that's all gonna take a hard right now.

Great finale! More Elijah next season please!
Old 05-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Oh man. It just hit me. What will the new plot be going forward if nobody has to worry about the Quest to Save Elena! anymore??

Oh and yeah, Matt Davis, you rock. I'm really really super duper bummed to see you go. I'll even take stupid ghost storylines if it means we get him coming back.

ETA: Oh and how about the retcon.... I mean revelation that Damon actually was the first to meet Elena??
Old 05-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #8
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
Oh man. It just hit me. What will the new plot be going forward if nobody has to worry about the Quest to Save Elena! anymore??

Oh and yeah, Matt Davis, you rock. I'm really really super duper bummed to see you go. I'll even take stupid ghost storylines if it means we get him coming back.

ETA: Oh and how about the retcon.... I mean revelation that Damon actually was the first to meet Elena??
That's a stupid retcon. Why would it matter that Damon and Elena briefly spoke first? Plus it just shows that Damon never really cared about mindwiping anybody he met. Blech to the whole storyline.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
KRS
Mmm...invisible cola

My wife and I debated the following for awhile after the episode was over - how much of it all was a dream of Elena's?

I thought that the whole thing could have been in her head. At the start of the episode, Elena is being treated in the hospital for hitting her head in the last episode (Jeremey called 911 when he found her). The doctor is saying that she will be fine.
Skip to the end, and the doctor is saying that her injuries were worse than she had initially said, but that she had saved her with some blood.

So I thought that maybe everything was in her head while in the hospital, she died for a bit, killing Alaric, and then was saved. And everything else (Klaus burning, truck going into the water, Tyler dying/possessed by Klaus) was a dream in her head as she hovered near death. The Sopranos did something similar when Tony was in the hospital and dreamed a whole multiverse scenario for an episode.

My wife disagreed (partly because she didn't think the writers of VD would be capable of a complex plot like that, nor would most teen viewers be able to grasp it). She thought that other than the dreams Elena had of Sophomore year and her parents, everything happened.

What say you guys? While my wife may well be correct, it seemed too coincidental to me that there were so many dreams in the episode and also that Elana was in the hospital at the start and end of the episode. Also, no way Stefan would save Matt from the pickup and leave Elena to drown. He would have chosen her, or at least grabbed them both with his vampire strength. (My wife countered this point with the episode's emphasis on him letting her decide her own fate)
O RLY?

360: Bees Tea Boys
Wii: 6028 2014 9605 5661
KRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #10
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS View Post
My wife and I debated the following for awhile after the episode was over - how much of it all was a dream of Elena's?

I thought that the whole thing could have been in her head. At the start of the episode, Elena is being treated in the hospital for hitting her head in the last episode (Jeremey called 911 when he found her). The doctor is saying that she will be fine.
Skip to the end, and the doctor is saying that her injuries were worse than she had initially said, but that she had saved her with some blood.

So I thought that maybe everything was in her head while in the hospital, she died for a bit, killing Alaric, and then was saved. And everything else (Klaus burning, truck going into the water, Tyler dying/possessed by Klaus) was a dream in her head as she hovered near death. The Sopranos did something similar when Tony was in the hospital and dreamed a whole multiverse scenario for an episode.

My wife disagreed (partly because she didn't think the writers of VD would be capable of a complex plot like that, nor would most teen viewers be able to grasp it). She thought that other than the dreams Elena had of Sophomore year and her parents, everything happened.

What say you guys? While my wife may well be correct, it seemed too coincidental to me that there were so many dreams in the episode and also that Elana was in the hospital at the start and end of the episode. Also, no way Stefan would save Matt from the pickup and leave Elena to drown. He would have chosen her, or at least grabbed them both with his vampire strength. (My wife countered this point with the episode's emphasis on him letting her decide her own fate)
I think you're over thinking it.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #11
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

I don't think it was all a dream. And IMO the "it was just a dream" scenario is neither something I believe TVD to do or anywhere near "complex". I think anytime that's done for a major plot arc to be rewound as this would, it's a cop out... and one that would really make me question watching this show.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #12
KRS
Mmm...invisible cola

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
I think you're over thinking it.
Yeah, probably.

Let me dumb it down a bit - holy 5hit were those cheerleader outfits slutty!
O RLY?

Old 05-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #13
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Sometimes I want to smack Julie Plec.

Spoiler:
Question: We didn't see Klaus's body turn to ash, so I assume there's some plan in place to keep Joseph Morgan in the mix.

Yep. I'd say there's a fairly significant chance, if not a 99.9% likelihood that body did not burn up in that coffin- Julie Plec

Old 05-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #14
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

One more snippet because it's about Elijah.

Spoiler:
Elijah’s still my favorite Original. Does he stick around town then?
Your favorite Elijah is our favorite Elijah, as you know. Daniel Gillies has a doctor show on NBC, Saving Hope [premiering June 7], and so his future with the vampire show is completely linked to his future with the doctor show. But we do get to use him sporadically with their permission, and they’ve been lovely about it, so we’ll see what else we can do moving forward.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #15
KRS
Mmm...invisible cola

Quote:
Sometimes I want to smack Julie Plec.

Spoiler:
Question: We didn't see Klaus's body turn to ash, so I assume there's some plan in place to keep Joseph Morgan in the mix.

Yep. I'd say there's a fairly significant chance, if not a 99.9% likelihood that body did not burn up in that coffin- Julie Plec
When the coffin...
Spoiler:
lid was slammed shut as the fire burned, said aloud "well that's one good way to put out a fire."

O RLY?

Old 05-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #16
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
When the coffin...
Spoiler:
lid was slammed shut as the fire burned, said aloud "well that's one good way to put out a fire."
Yeah I know, I thought the same, I just hate that she can't keep her trap shut. Let the fans stew for the summer!
Old 05-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #17
KRS
Mmm...invisible cola

Quote:
Yeah I know, I thought the same, I just hate that she can't keep her trap shut. Let the fans stew for the summer!
Has it been confirmed as renewed?
O RLY?

Old 05-11-2012, 06:26 PM   #18
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Has it been confirmed as renewed?
Yes!
Old 05-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #19
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Price's review up. Hee
http://www.tv.com/news/the-vampire-d...o-recap-28636/

Old 05-22-2012, 06:20 AM   #20
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk

Because of the people she listed in this episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard

That's a stupid retcon. Why would it matter that Damon and Elena briefly spoke first? Plus it just shows that Damon never really cared about mindwiping anybody he met. Blech to the whole storyline.
Because Elena said it would be different if she'd met him first. So now he just had himself to blame for the brain wipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl
I don't think it was all a dream. And IMO the "it was just a dream" scenario is neither something I believe TVD to do or anywhere near "complex". I think anytime that's done for a major plot arc to be rewound as this would, it's a cop out... and one that would really make me question watching this show.
This. Making it all a dream is lame, not complex.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:05 PM   #21
laria
Librocubicularist

I know I'm super late, but I finally just caught up on my episodes!

Yay! Thirty seconds of Elijah! I hope his doctor show gives him more time to be a vampire. Also, now I wish I had checked out that doctor show, because I did not know he was in it!

I think Vampire Elena is going to be all boring, just as boring as the wrong brother that she picked. I have to admit I didn't see the vampire thing coming, even though I should have.

Poor Matt. He is the only schmuck in town without any superpowers or purpose other than bussing tables at the Grille.

I will miss Ric. His character was the best when he and Damon were palling around. Maybe we'll get Ghost Ric back, but Ghost Ric seemed all judge-y and morose like Vampire Hunter Ric.

Did not see the Tyler-Klaus switcheroo coming, either. Although I did tell my SO after Bonnie did that spell on Klaus in the episode before that she was going to go all Dark Willow on us, just you watch!