TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
acvthree

XL2 vs. XL4

Is the only difference between the XL2 and the XL4 the tuner configuration?

I have a dying series 3 and I'm thinking of not fixing the drive but just getting a new system.

I'm currently using the antenna and I like that (good reception, high data rate), but the XL4 record four show simulatneously, correct? That is a draw.

Is the firmware the same? Do you expect support for both, software updates, going into the future or will the software update be XL4 only soon?

Finally, is there a way to buy the XL2 with a 2T drive and lifetime?

Lots of questions. Thanks for the help.

Al
acvthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
moyekj

XL4 doesn't support ATSC (over the air reception) or analog cable. It's only for digital cable recording. If ATSC is a must then XL supports that.
XL specs
XL4 specs
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
acvthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
XL4 doesn't support ATSC (over the air reception) or analog cable. It's only for digital cable recording. If ATSC is a must then XL supports that.
XL specs
XL4 specs
Not a must, but I've liked it.

4 simultaneous recordings and a 2T disk drive might make me forget about that. ;-)

I'm reading through here about a lot of reboot issues.

Are those across the XL line, that is XL4 is no different from XL2?

I have Fios. Is that any better or worse for the reboot issue?
Old 05-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
mulscully

I had the same concern reading about all the reboot issues and the channel lost issues I have been seeing. I have FIOS and got my XL4 yesterday and so far no regrets.. Used the online season pass manager and copied over my SPs, and today it was recording 3 shows at once.. Have not had 4 yet.

I will look again tonight when I get home, but I have not seen partial recordings yet.

The biggest pain was just waiting through the first few tivo connections and getting the new software update, but I was up and running with 2.5 hours...

I would look at your conflicts. If you seem to have them, then 4 tuners is worth it and at only $150 more then the XL2..

Good luck..
mulscully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
zalusky

I have two elites AKA XL4 and I do not have reboots.

I love the 4 tuners. I just do not have to worry anymore. The MRS is also wonderful.
I have an antenna that I haven't used in years.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #6
GoEagles

The Premiere XL4 aka Premiere Elite is pretty nice, I had one reboot so far. At first activating it with the full HD menus and all was odd, but having four tuners and a 2TB driver is nice. Conflicts are a thing of the past. The XL4 is also THX certified if that matters to you and has the Premium Glo Remote with A, B, C, D buttons, not the earlier one with the swtich (which I preferred).

If you brought a Premiere XL2 $249 + $120 for an OEM 2TB Green Drive + $399 for PLS, it works out better to get a Premiere XL4 ($399) + $399 PLS which is cheaper.
GoEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
thebfg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoEagles View Post
If you brought a Premiere XL2 $249 + $120 for an OEM 2TB Green Drive + $399 for PLS, it works out better to get a Premiere XL4 ($399) + $399 PLS which is cheaper.
Although if the plan is to upgrade the drive, then may as well just get a regular Premiere for $80-$100. The XL2 only adds the Glo remote and THX certification, if you're going to upgrade the drive anyway. And I'm still using the Glo remote from my Series3 (for some reason, my XL doesn't respond well to the remote it came with). You get a little savings over an XL4 at least, if you need ATSC.
thebfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #8
acvthree

I have a programmable remote, so the remotes are not an issue.

I do have a nice sound set up. Is the certification just a sticker or is something really different?

Just curious, are both cores active or is the system running on one core (I read something about that in earlier posts).
Old 05-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by acvthree View Post
Not a must, but I've liked it.

4 simultaneous recordings and a 2T disk drive might make me forget about that. ;-)

I'm reading through here about a lot of reboot issues.
I has to keep my S3 around because I still have a few channels I watch that are analog only in my area. Other then that I have not had any problems with my Elite and it's been great not having to worry about conflicts.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #10
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Is the firmware the same? Do you expect support for both, software updates, going into the future or will the software update be XL4 only soon?
The regular Premiere has not been discontinued. They're different internally, but they're both considered Series 4, and they run the same software. I'd expect that to continue. I'm not worried about the Premiere being dropped until some time after they start making a Series 5 (if that happens).

XL4 = rebranded Premiere Elite
XL = regular Premiere with a big drive

These are the two platforms within Series 4. There's no "XL line" -- up until the XL4, "XL" just meant "bigger drive, fancier remote, and/or meaningless THX certification w/ different startup video". Also I don't think they're calling anything "XL2".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 05-03-2012 at 09:48 PM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #11
acvthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
The regular Premiere has not been discontinued. They're different internally, but they're both considered Series 4, and they run the same software. I'd expect that to continue. I'm not worried about the Premiere being dropped until some time after they start making a Series 5 (if that happens).

XL4 = rebranded Premiere Elite
XL = regular Premiere with a big drive

These are the two platforms within Series 4. There's no "XL line" -- up until the XL4, "XL" just meant "bigger drive, fancier remote, and/or meaningless THX certification w/ different startup video". Also I don't think they're calling anything "XL2".
Right.

Premier
Premier XL
PRemier XL4

http://www.tivo.com/products/home/index.html

I think my choices are:

Premier, keep my antenna set up and upgrade the disk drive myself. I've like the idea of getting the maximum bit rate over the air. 2 tuners "only".

Premier XL4, be lazy and let it come with the large DD, and just go with Fios and 4 tuners.

Just to re-ask, on early threads I saw that only one core was running on the Premier. Are both cores activated now? Just curious.

Al
Old 05-04-2012, 07:48 AM   #12
compnurd

Quote:
Right.

Premier
Premier XL
PRemier XL4

http://www.tivo.com/products/home/index.html

I think my choices are:

Premier, keep my antenna set up and upgrade the disk drive myself. I've like the idea of getting the maximum bit rate over the air. 2 tuners "only".

Premier XL4, be lazy and let it come with the large DD, and just go with Fios and 4 tuners.

Just to re-ask, on early threads I saw that only one core was running on the Premier. Are both cores activated now? Just curious.

Al
Yes they have been active for about 6 months i think now
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:32 AM   #13
djwilso

Quote:
Right.

Premier
Premier XL
PRemier XL4
Well, TiVo spells the name "Premiere", with an "e" on the end. I wonder if they ever had any discussions about what a bad name it is just because of how many people would be misspelling it constantly.
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #14
acvthree

I ordered the XL4 last night.

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #15
acvthree

So, I have my system in and have been adding SPs and transfering shows from my system 3.

I have had at least one re-boot, but I was doing a lot at the time and it was early in the process. It may not have been stable when I was playing around with copying the shows over.

I am seeing a lot of uncorrected RS.

RS Uncorrected 5013
RS Corrected 18
Signal Strength 95
SNR 38

I was running the system 3 with 16 db of attenuation.

Should I put the attenuator on the new system?

I'm on FIOS and I know the ONTs sometimes run a hot signal.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #16
aaronwt
HD Addict

The uncorrected and correct RS is normal. It happens whenever you first tune to a channel. It should not be increasing though after the channel is tuned.

I have 16db of attenuation from the 8 way splitter on the coax from my ONT. I can split that several more times before going to an Elite and it will still have no signal issues. It won't hurt to have more attenuation. No idea if you need it though. I think some people had issues that were fixed after some attenuation.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #17
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
So, I have my system in and have been adding SPs and transfering shows from my system 3.
FYI if you use the TiVo website you can copy all of your SPs from the S3 to the Elite in one simple action. It's very easy to do and works even if the show is currently not listed in the guide.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #18
acvthree

Thanks, but what does it do for shows that were scheduled on the S3 antenna and now must be on the XL4 cable channel? 11.1 to 511 for example.

Al
Old 05-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #19
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Thanks, but what does it do for shows that were scheduled on the S3 antenna and now must be on the XL4 cable channel? 11.1 to 511 for example.

Al
When you transfer the Sp online, it should give you an alternative channel to choose from that the show is on. Although this might only be limited to a show that will be on in the next couple of weeks.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #20
astrohip
Stuart F

I'll throw in a caveat. I did this (online SP from S3->Elite) a few months ago, and I had lots of problems. Some SPs worked perfect, and others didn't. It did transfer them, but many didn't actually work. IOW, it created the SP for XYZ Show, but nothing was getting set to record. If I deleted the SP, and then created it from scratch, it then worked. I found many, many people in this forum concurring with me, so this is not an unusual problem.

Because I was unable to trust the transfer SP process, I ended deleting all of them, and starting over.
astrohip is online now   Reply With Quote