TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #211
thegreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
DirecTV tech sounded surprised that the phone calls haven't resulted in a software update from 6.2a to 6.4. They're sending a tech to my house Monday morning. Based on what I'm reading here I don't think they're going to be able to restore my missing locals that way.
Unless the tech is prepared to swap hard drives, I doubt he can help. Good luck, though.
thegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #212
thegreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbrit View Post
The latest info we have is that updating the firmware to 6.4 is going to be the only solution for this...
I know you guys are trying to help. We appreciate it. I just think we deserve better than silence followed by wiping out all communication. They could delete offensive posts and leave the threads intact.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #213
fooz

LOL, DirecTV solved this issue for me.

I have 3 Series 2 units affected, and after 2 weeks of working on the issue and still no locals, I fired off a simple email requesting information on their cancellation policy:

"...I am no longer under contract, so my question is how long from the time I cancel does my service/billing stop? Is it immediate or can I set a shut off date?"

I got an offer a short time after to call for a reward, which I did and it was to replace one of my 3 crippled Tivos for a DVR, and of course a 2 year extension. I turned this offer down as it would still leave me with 2 not working correctly. I then received an email that stated:

"Normally, we require you to speak with a Customer Service Representative in order to cancel service. However, since you may have already ordered new service, I made an exception and scheduled your account to be disconnected as of midnight on 05/11/12...."

My first reaction was to call and reinstate my service, but I signed up for Dish with 2 hoppers systems to be installed tomorrow. i was not sure if I was going to cancel, but DirecTV made up my mind for me.
fooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #214
thegreen

Directv has now deleted three threads concerning this topic from their internal forums. I can only assume that they are trying to make this issue- and us- go away. I don't want to fight, but if anyone effected by this issue wants to get help, please consider sending detailed accounts of your experiences to the FCC, EFF etc. And maybe save cached copies of the remaining threads at DTV forum before they get deleted, if necessary. I'm not sure what else to do but move on.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #215
fooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreen View Post
... I'm not sure what else to do but move on.
Agreed, I feel better already. My next battle I am sure will be that they will insist my Tivos are theirs.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #216
l2bengtrek

It seems that the most painless way to fix this is to do it yourself...meaning don't even screw with calling DirecTV. For me it was a SUPER EASY decision to run INSTANTCAKE and PTVnet from DVRUPGRADE to make a new drive with 6.4a...of course I had no shows saved on my old one so I'm sure there are a lot of you that would not agree since you want to keep your shows. For me, I was up and running with all of my channels restored in about an hour..
l2bengtrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #217
wetchemistry

l2bengtrek, I agree, it is how I fixed my issue, with help from this forum and the DTV one. But I am really mad at DTV because it was MY thread about losing Chicago locals that was deleted. As far as I can tell, I or others broke no TOS agreements by posting what was collectively found to fix the problem. Yes there were a few links to file a complaint with the FCC, but they could have deleted specific posts, NOT the whole thread. A CSR called me and asked me how my 7 phone calls went trying to fix the problem, I gave them the worse reviews I could and told them that as soon as I can get U-Verse to come out I was ditching them. It is sad to see a company most of us flocked to after cable being so terrible in the 80's and 90's be destroyed by greed.
wetchemistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #218
thegreen

I agree as well, and if Dtv will pay to have it done for me, no problem. Even though it was an accident, I feel that it's their responsibility to fix my boxes and I shouldn't have to buy extra stuff and learn how to hack them to get it done. I don't give a **** about the shows.

I find it interesting that the volunteer guides continue to defend Dtv, even after having their own useful posts deleted along with entire threads. I don't think I could back someone who censors my work with no explanation. Unless the price was right, I guess.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #219
l2bengtrek

I agree with both of you..does seem pretty underhanded if that's what's they did...but from what I've read, they have made 6.4a available again in the satellite stream to download. Either way, that's why I decided to take them OUT of the equation as far as these old tivos go. With IC and PTVnet discs at my disposal, I no longer need their support on these, I can make new drives whenever I want...unless of course somewhere down the road, they make the guide data just flat out totally unreadable by the older equipment. Then there will be really nothing else that can be done...
l2bengtrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #220
thegreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2bengtrek View Post
...but from what I've read, they have made 6.4a available again in the satellite stream to download. Either way, that's why I decided to take them OUT of the equation as far as these old tivos go.
6.4 in the stream was an unconfirmed, single message from Dtv to a forum user that, if true, didn't work. More recent reports at DBS say that it's not there.

I see the desire to take them out of the equation, believe me. But I think I'd rather do it by getting a full house, new, Hopper/Joey setup that Dish wants to trot out to my house for free.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #221
wetchemistry

Yeah, the "6.4a is in the stream" story was getting old, staunchly regurgitated by the volunteers who pretend to be company men. Has anyone already switched to the hopper system? I might give that a look if someone can give it a good review.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #222
fooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetchemistry View Post
Yeah, the "6.4a is in the stream" story was getting old, staunchly regurgitated by the volunteers who pretend to be company men. Has anyone already switched to the hopper system? I might give that a look if someone can give it a good review.
After DirecTV was kind enough to give me 14 hours notice and cancel me as of midnight tonight, I called Dish, They are supposed to be installing 2 hoppers, 3 joeys and a slingbox tomorrow . I felt I needed more tuners and went for an extra hopper, I will let you know how it goes.

Funny thing they canceled my account and called 8 times today and never left a message.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #223
wetchemistry

I think they have decided to ditch people like us who, owned our own receivers and didn't upgrade etc... It's a shame. I believe they didn't leave you a message their customer service is horrendous.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #224
fooz

When they offered me 1 HD DVR, I told them that it wouldn't do, but that I would be interested in the HMC Hr34 and 4 receivers to replace my HD DVR and 3 Tivos. The woman told me she was not in any position to make any other offers and hoped I had a good day. I do believe that this was a simple ploy to get me to accept a new DVR and locking me in for 2 years and when I declined they decided to shut me off. After reading their forums and the issues with HMC I am happy they couldn't make that deal.

It does seem that Dish has better technology with the dual room DVRs, Hopper/Joey, sling box, and even google tv integration.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #225
thegreen

It would seem there's some good topics to see/join over at http://www.dbstalk.com/index.php concerning Dish/hopper stuff- and some Dtv/Dish debates.

Let's try to keep this thread on Tivo repair topic.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #226
fooz

Just curious, has anyone seen or heard of someone having this problem fixed by following DirecTVs advice? Which is to plug into a phone line and force a call.

The only people I see who fixed it have either bought/built a new drive or used slicer.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:32 AM   #227
thegreen

Nope- no reports of success through the official connection process.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #228
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Finally got some news from our DirecTV contacts. They've verified with Tivo that v6.4a is available, and if your Tivo is connected to a phone line and successfully "phoning home", then it should be getting the update. Clearly that's not working for some folks, so they've requested the following information to help troubleshoot the issue ....

• Your Tivo model number?
  • What Tivo software version do you currently have?
  • Your Tivo Service Number (TSN)? .... Should be in the system information display.
  • Does your Tivo have any "modifications" to its original software?
  • TV brand & model number?
  • How is your Tivo connected to your TV?
  • If you have an HR10-250 HD Tivo, what video output resolution(s) are you using?

If you're uncomfortable posting all of that info here, send me a private message and I'll pass along to my DirecTV contacts.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #229
nmiller855

The rollout of 6.x will not help me because I have a Sony SAT-T60. I currently have 3.5C-01-1-011.
When the "expert of 4 years" first saw my account, he said "Wow, you've been with us a long time. I don't think I've ever talked to anyone with such an old account. (I've had the account since 1999)" He then said the problem was that my unit was old & needed to be replaced. I told him that wasn't a possibility.
I don't understand how replacing a hard drive will fix this. It is not a hardware problem, it is a software issue.
I have moved all my local season passes to my Hughes unit & use the Sony unit for all other passes.
nmiller855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #230
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
nmiller855, you need the 3.5d software version. If you replaced the disk with one that had that version, the problem would be gone.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #231
wetchemistry

Having seen this drag out since April 1st, I'm skeptical, it smells to me like they are looking to blame those of us that have "modifications." Funny, we're the ones that fixed our own problem. Anywho....

Will those that phone in still have to blow out their guide and to do list? Then have to re-enter all of their season passes manually?
Old 05-13-2012, 01:11 AM   #232
nmiller855

So the 3d version won't download on its own like all the others have?
Can I send a request like we used to be able to and request the download?
nmiller855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:14 AM   #233
Vern748

Updating to 6.4 solved the issue and I did not need to remove the To Do List or Programs List.

Now I need to get Zipper back onto the box. Not sure why the USB port is not working. ??

Thanks All !!!
Vern748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:54 AM   #234
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Having seen this drag out since April 1st, I'm skeptical, it smells to me like they are looking to blame those of us that have "modifications." Funny, we're the ones that fixed our own problem. Anywho....

Will those that phone in still have to blow out their guide and to do list? Then have to re-enter all of their season passes manually?
None of us here know exactly what's going on between DirecTV and Tivo regarding this problem. But I do know that DirecTV is requesting some specific information from folks unable to upgrade to v6.4a. If you provide that information, I will pass it along. Don't know if you'll still need to "blow out the guide and to do list".
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
Old 05-13-2012, 01:57 AM   #235
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmiller855 View Post
So the 3d version won't download on its own like all the others have?
Can I send a request like we used to be able to and request the download?
Nope. I don't think DirecTV/Tivo have plans to reactivate the old Series 1 Tivo software. You'll need to look elsewhere, such as Weaknees, PTVUpgrade, etc.
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
Old 05-13-2012, 02:44 AM   #236
dc123

Ok, I tried for about a week with multiple forced calls to dtv and reboots and no luck on getting the new version of the software. I then tried to clear program information and ToDo list. Now it has been 4 hours and all I get is a red blinking light and a screen that says the process may take up to an hour. Suggestions, ideas, advice? My SD tivo is not hacked. It is a hughes sd dvr80
dc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #237
wetchemistry

So, it's been some time dc123, any luck?
Old 05-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #238
dc123

Quote:
So, it's been some time dc123, any luck?
Ok, sometime in the night it completed. So I tried connecting to the DVR service again and rebooting. Still on 6.2a, incomplete guide data, and no local channels. So back to where I was, but now I need to reenter my season passes.

dc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #239
fooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc123 View Post
Ok, sometime in the night it completed. So I tried connecting to the DVR service again and rebooting. Still on 6.2a, incomplete guide data, and no local channels. So back to where I was, but now I need to reenter my season passes.

This is the samething that happened to me.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #240
wetchemistry

<comment dripping with sarcasm>Maybe you should try calling in one more time, you know, 23 times is a charm.</end of sarcasm>