TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-08-2012, 06:37 AM   #1
atomarchio

Selling Series 3 HD plus lifetime.

I am interested in selling my Series 3 HD with lifetime service and the Tivo Wireless Adapter.

What's a realistic price to sell this for? And once I sell, how do I go about transferring the lifetime service to the buyer.

Please let me know. Thanks.
atomarchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
Chris Gerhard

My estimate is $325 assuming it is the Wireless-G adapter. If shipping is required, you will probably have to net less. Of course, whatever seller and buyer agree to is the correct answer. A simple call to TiVo is one way to transfer service.
Chris Gerhard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
atomarchio

When I call Tivo after the unit is sold, what information do I need to give them?
Old 05-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomarchio View Post
When I call Tivo after the unit is sold, what information do I need to give them?
Nothing other than that you have sold the Tivo and you want it removed from your account.

It it the responsibility of the buyer to add it to their own account.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:13 AM   #5
atomarchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Nothing other than that you have sold the Tivo and you want it removed from your account.

It it the responsibility of the buyer to add it to their own account.
I thought they may ask for information of the person I sold it to...would'nt they?
Old 05-10-2012, 07:39 AM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
I thought they may ask for information of the person I sold it to...would'nt they?
They might, but you are under no obligation to provide it.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:19 AM   #7
Series3Sub

Go to Ebay and see what they are going for. You will like the re-sale value. Lifetime and larger HDD capacity really drive the price up. Keep in mind that for many TiVo auctions, there is little activity until the final hours of a bid. It is amazing sometimes to see the price climb near the end.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
DTxAg

Quote:
You actually don't even need to call TiVo. When you sell the unit, the buyer can just plug it in and have it call home several times. Assuming the buyer is in a different zip code than you, the buyer can call TiVo and transfer it at this point. I've done that repeatedly without issue.
DTxAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #9
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTxAg View Post
You actually don't even need to call TiVo. When you sell the unit, the buyer can just plug it in and have it call home several times. Assuming the buyer is in a different zip code than you, the buyer can call TiVo and transfer it at this point. I've done that repeatedly without issue.
That's been my experience but sometimes they ask for the name of the previous owner. I have seen some comments in this Community that a CSR won't do the transfer without the previous owner calling in first. In that case I recommend just calling back to get another CSR. On the seller side, I have called to let Tivo know that I have sold a unit and want it removed from my account. Interestingly, they have uniformly refused to remove it from my account unless the buyer calls to make the transfer. That being said, I still have two lifetime S1 units on my account that I sold some time ago.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #10
aaronwt
HD Addict

It's best to call and tell them the TiVo is going to a new owner. You give them the name of the new owner and they will give you a reference number. You give the new owner the reference number and when they call to transfer it to their account they can give the CSR this number. You have basically pre-approved the transfer to the new owner so they don't need to get in contact with you. This is what I have done for the 15+ lifetime TiVos I have sold and it seems to be the easiest way for the seller and the buyer to deal with it. Otherwise they are supposed to get in contact with the original owner to verify that they have approved the transfer. I had this happen once and did not want it to happen again.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #11
Nels

Upgrade question

If I buy a new premiere and get a discount on the service, will TiVo come back later after I sell my current HD with lifetime service and ding me for the $100 multi unit discount?
Nels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #12
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nels View Post
If I buy a new premiere and get a discount on the service, will TiVo come back later after I sell my current HD with lifetime service and ding me for the $100 multi unit discount?
No, not if it's lifetime service. But after you sell the qualifying unit, you won't be eligible for any more MSD.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #13
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I have to think the value of TiVo HD's with lifetime will be depressed by the fact that many HD owners have been able to get lifetime for $99 recently. I was one of them. See this thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=475081

The box without lifetime, based on age and being a discontinued model, should only be worth about $50. Thus the price with lifetime should be closer to $150 rather than $300+ it seems.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #14
S3-2501

I recently purchased an OLED Series 3 with Lifetime service, and the seller did something really clever that I think really helped make adding it to my account a breeze. While it was in transit to me, the seller changed the name of the Tivo to the name on my shipping address.

I setup the Tivo, made sure it was fully updated and running, and then called Tivo. When the rep saw that the Tivo's name matched the name on my shipping address, he added it to my account immediately while I was on the phone.

It's possible that the seller also called ahead to clear things, but judging from the Tivo rep's tone and response, having the Tivo's name match the name on my shipping address definitely seemed to help speed things along.
S3-2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #15
farmermac
Super user

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
I have to think the value of TiVo HD's with lifetime will be depressed by the fact that many HD owners have been able to get lifetime for $99 recently. I was one of them. See this thread:

The box without lifetime, based on age and being a discontinued model, should only be worth about $50. Thus the price with lifetime should be closer to $150 rather than $300+ it seems.
THe demand for lifetime s3 far outpaces the supply. No way that super discount should be passed on IMO. The s3 is very desirable for many reasons. like you said they aren't making them anymore. I'd buy another if they did.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #16
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post

No question but that discounts for lifetime service have reduced the value but not everybody can get the discount so it isn't reduced that much.
Chris Gerhard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #17
jrlbc06

I have a series 3 180-hr TiVo HD DVR with lifetime that I would like to sell, but I don't really use ebay or amazon or anything like that. Are there any types of 'used Tivo dealer' type sites or anything like that?

I just bought a premier and don't need the series 3 anymore. Just not sure what the best way to go about getting rid of it to try to recoup some of the costs of the premier would be. Thanks for any advice!
jrlbc06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:03 PM   #18
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlbc06 View Post
I have a series 3 180-hr TiVo HD DVR with lifetime that I would like to sell, but I don't really use ebay or amazon or anything like that. Are there any types of 'used Tivo dealer' type sites or anything like that?

I just bought a premier and don't need the series 3 anymore. Just not sure what the best way to go about getting rid of it to try to recoup some of the costs of the premier would be. Thanks for any advice!
Well, there's this thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...splay.php?f=68

right here at TCF

where, despite the title, you don't have to be listing it on eBay to offer it here.

There's also Craigslist.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote