Forum Jump

Old 05-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

CNBC: "Surviving a Car Crash"

From http://www.cnbc.com/id/47079556/SURV...RSDAY_MAY_10TH
Quote:
"Surviving a Car Crash":

There are few things Americans love more than their cars. The problem: our cars donít always love us back. Every year in the U.S., car crashes take tens of thousands of lives and injure many more, costing us nearly $100 billion in medical care and lost wages. But now, innovations in medicine, psychology, engineering, and even the military are increasing survival rates. Surviving a Car Crash explores the technology that could reduce the biggest risk facing drivers today - themselves.
I've been seeing ads for this and will be recording it tonight. Looked ok from the ads but I'm not so sure now given the description.

Discuss.
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
pmyers

Let us know
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #3
sieglinde

Roll Cages are good. I survived a roll over with just a few cuts and bruises.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Let us know
It was insightful but overall just ok. It wasn't a must watch.

I didn't know that the involuntary startled reflex that we have (in theory, as protection) which kicks in if we're rear-ended actually can make the potential for injuries even worse. So, it's better that the reflex is triggered before the crash like via a sound or tightening the seat belts.

I wonder if the pre-collision system warnings in some cars are actually intended to do just that. I've seen some demo videos of the Prius w/the advanced technology package (which has PCS) and a message that says "BRAKE!" will show up, accompanied by beeping. I believe the seat belts will tighten up too.

There was an test near the end where they increased a driver's cognitive load. I'd have trouble completing that task if I were driving.

The experimental windshield system that GM was working on was interesting. It would be really cool to have something like what they were showing.

Last edited by cwerdna : 05-13-2012 at 04:11 PM.
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote