TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #31
Drewster
Shooting blanks

Big thanks to Margaret for the release notes!
Old 05-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #32
JfNebraska
HD Initiate

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzer View Post
I believe that message will come up if the update is already downloaded. The network page probably says "Pending Restart", so all that person should need to do is reboot to install the update.
You were right. Thanks for clearing that up. Installing now.
JfNebraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #33
JfNebraska
HD Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test View Post
Trying out the new netflix app now. Any info on controls? Back/left pauses it instead of going back to the main screen. Play pauses it instead of showing the current time. The info button doesn't do anything. Up works like back and takes you to app.
This sounds very similar to how the Netflix app works on my AppleTV.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #34
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe01880 View Post
The Netflix app is not working using the HDUI, it does work using the SDUI, im hoping this straightens its self out.
It looks really nice in the SD menu, sort of like the PS3 app, it just needs to be working in the HDUI.

BTW,
Thanks for the heads up Margret, the notes are a very welcome thing!
In the HDUI go to My Video Providers and turn the netflix and youtube app's on and off. That got them working for me.
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #35
Budshark

Wow. This is great and the feedback and notes and engineers attention to the community is fantastic. Reminds me of DirecTVs CE program which has been a huge success and really helped them push their in house DVRs to where they are in a short time.
Budshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #36
aaronwt
HD Addict

YEs thanks. I rebooted one of my TiVos remotely from my HAVA HD. I'm getting into Netflix right now. The first time it didn't come up so I went into the video provider section and when I tried Netflix again it came up.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #37
Drewster
Shooting blanks

Mine is now up with 20.2.1.1 applied.

However, the NetFlix app wants me to sign in with my username and password... I don't have a slider/keyboard remote, just the peanut. How exactly can I input that?

Or is this something I have to wait up to four hours for the signatures to exchange?
Old 05-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #38
Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
Mine is now up with 20.2.1.1 applied.

However, the NetFlix app wants me to sign in with my username and password... I don't have a slider/keyboard remote, just the peanut. How exactly can I input that?

Or is this something I have to wait up to four hours for the signatures to exchange?
Click select on the name/password field and an onscreen keyboard comes up
Old 05-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #39
Drewster
Shooting blanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test View Post
Click select on the name/password field and an onscreen keyboard comes up
Ah, thank you. For some reason that didn't work the first time.

That this on-screen keyboard is different that the TiVo one for searching is jarring. I guess that's because this app runs through Flash(?) and is implemented by NetFlix.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #40
Lars_J

I got the update. Woo!

My reaction:
I like the more fully featured Netflix and Youtube apps - although they feel a bit sluggish. The UI is very different and takes time to get used to. Youtube quality is appears to be HD, although it would be nice if it told me what kind of quality stream I was viewing in the info panel.

This is my first time using the HD UI (couldn't before due to lack of parental control), and it looks nice. Definitely slower though. I'll have to use it for a while and see how I like it.

First thing I did was turn off the live TV and playback window in the top corner. Very annoying that it would not pause when hitting the TiVo button to go back to the menu. I'll also probably disable all recommendations above, hopefully that will improve the responsiveness of the UI.

One odd thing... when I switched to the HD UI, the screen blacked out for about 10 seconds. Then the HD home screen appeared. Strange. (Not a TV issue, my TV switches modes fast)
Old 05-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #41
DonaldBurns65144

Got the update and so far so good.

However, the Netflix need for re-entering of name/password had me going until I read this thread. Trying to select a Netflix movie from the Tivo search for movie list just kept giving a network not available error and I had no clue that NetFlix wanted the above data to be reentered. This should be highlighted in the install message or there will be LOTS of incoming calls about a broken update!

And am I to assume that Hulu and Amazon info will need to be re-entered too?
DonaldBurns65144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #42
TerpBE
Go Terps!

So does the new Youtube app still show "no videos" if any one of the videos in a playlist is no longer available?
TerpBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #43
sbiller

Anyone else think Netflix is abysmally slow? Other than the 30 seconds to launch the new app, navigating the Netflix UI is very quick.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/10/30...e-app-hands-on
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #44
JfNebraska
HD Initiate

Here's an interesting wrinkle in the Netflix App that probably affects few systems, but affects mine. Apologies if this is Greek to non-technophiles.

I have both a 720P TV and a 1080P/24 capable projector hooked to my Tivo through a preamp. When a Netflix movie starts, from what I can tell, it increases the resolution as it builds it's buffer. A movie starts in SD (or something worse than that), then switches to 1080i, then, after another 10 seconds, switches to 1080p/24.

For me, if I'm watching on my TV, I lose the picture when it switches to 1080p/24 (presumably because my preamp goes into some kind of pass through mode, and my TV can't handle the 1080p/24 signal). At that point, I can hear the sound, but can't see anything. If I'm watching on my projector, the picture comes back, looking great when it makes this final switch.

No big deal, I think, since I will probably always be on my project when I'm watching 1080p/24 movies, but I was confused as to why I was getting audio only on the TV after the movie started playing fine. I'm pretty sure I've figured it out now.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #45
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Like everyone else, I want to thank Margret and her team for posting a release notes and for getting the requested users updated so quickly. When I got home, mine had already gotten the update and was pending restart.... so I restarted it!
Old 05-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #46
Drewster
Shooting blanks

I'm watching Ghostbusters on NetFlix, in HD with 5.1 sound. The audio is consistently out of sync.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #47
jrtroo
User

Have you gone out of the app and back in? I had that happen from time to time with the old app.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #48
Lars_J

I would much prefer if you could set a preferred quality in the Netflix app, and just buffer a couple more seconds at start of the video to verify. If it isn't fast enough for some reason, fall back.

This may not be TiVo's fault, but it is a bit ridiculous that it has to start on a very low-quality stream every time, even if I have a 20mbps+ broadband and have no problem streaming 1080p.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #49
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Tech of the web had a tip on how to minimize the video black out on Netflix.

"To minimize the issue with video switching: Go to “Settings” and then “Video”. Under “Video Output Formats”, set the formats only to 1080i and 1080P/24 (pass-through). HD shows that stream at 1080i / 30FPS won’t have to renegoiate the HDMI connection with the TV and that will eliminate those black-outs. One example of an HD show at 1080i / 30 FPS is Doctor Who."

http://www.techofthehub.com/2012/05/...on-review.html
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #50
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
I'm watching Ghostbusters on NetFlix, in HD with 5.1 sound. The audio is consistently out of sync.
One thing you might want to check is your audio settings on your receiver/television. I found that changing the audio settings on my Pioneer Kuro TV corrected some lipsync issues I was having with Netflix.

In my case I altered the advanced audio settings under the Sound Effects menu. There are three options - SRS Surround Sound, SRS Focus, and SRS TruBass. I turned all options to Off since they were previously set to On. There was some reading I was doing on the Roku site about Netflix audio sync options that led me to this debug technique.

Surprisingly, this corrected the lip sync issue so it appears to be some sort of decoding issue by my TV of the Netflix audio tracks.

With that said, I have my Elite/XL4 connected directly to my TV via HDMI without a 5.1 receiver.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #51
Lars_J

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettf View Post
Tech of the web had a tip on how to minimize the video black out on Netflix.

"To minimize the issue with video switching: Go to “Settings” and then “Video”. Under “Video Output Formats”, set the formats only to 1080i and 1080P/24 (pass-through). HD shows that stream at 1080i / 30FPS won’t have to renegoiate the HDMI connection with the TV and that will eliminate those black-outs. One example of an HD show at 1080i / 30 FPS is Doctor Who."

http://www.techofthehub.com/2012/05/...on-review.html
Yeah, that's a good tip in general. Some display devices do not switch well, and forcing video output to 1080i/1080p only usually makes for a much smoother experience.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #52
sharkster

Thank You, Margret!

I saw that both of mine were in 'pending restart' so, one at a time, I restarted them.

I'm intrigued with the 'clock' thing and tried the instruction. While I do see the clock while I am IN the HD menu, I don't see it on the screen while I'm watching a show. Am I doing something wrong? I followed the instruction given.

Ooh, I did just notice that all those ad blocks on the top of the HD menu are gone now. I hope that stays gone! I hated that. Now if I can only figure out how I did that so I can do it on the other Tivo. UGH! Never mind. They're back.

But I did manage to get the clock after I did the process about a dozen times.

Last edited by sharkster : 05-10-2012 at 05:52 PM.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #53
GoEagles

I'm really looking forward to the new features that are upcoming that Margret mentioned such as HD menus for Season Passes, MRS, etc.
GoEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #54
caryrae73

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfNebraska View Post
Here's an interesting wrinkle in the Netflix App that probably affects few systems, but affects mine. Apologies if this is Greek to non-technophiles.
When a Netflix movie starts, from what I can tell, it increases the resolution as it builds it's buffer. A movie starts in SD (or something worse than that), then switches to 1080i, then, after another 10 seconds, switches to 1080p/24.
Started watching my first show on Netflix and mine seems to do the same thing. Starts out very pixelated (not sure if that's a real word) then picture starts to get better after some seconds.

Edit: Second show I watched started just fine.

Last edited by caryrae73 : 05-10-2012 at 06:33 PM.
caryrae73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:08 PM   #55
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Cox H.264 Plus Package HD Channels Fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
Hi Community,

Other changes
---------------------------------------------
1. Cox customers that had difficulty receiving "Plus Pak" channels should find that issue resolved.
I am VERY happy to confirm the issue with the Cox H.264 Plus Package HD Channels have been Fixed.

Thanks so Much Margret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:11 PM   #56
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztivo View Post
Why would the clock be in the upper right corner. It was perfect in the lower right corner?
I agree.
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #57
blackngold75

Thanks, Margret.

Loving the feedback from TiVo and the additional features. Really thinking about buying a second Premiere.
blackngold75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #58
eddieb187

Thank you so much for losing the banner when clearing the guide.
Clear the TiVo guide and the banner would popup.
I found that to be really annoying.
eddieb187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #59
aztivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
I am VERY happy to confirm the issue with the Cox H.264 Plus Package HD Channels have been Fixed.

Thanks so Much Margret

aztivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #60
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieb187 View Post
Thank you so much for losing the banner when clearing the guide.
Clear the TiVo guide and the banner would popup.
I found that to be really annoying.
Find it annoying too, but it's still doing that for me (in HDUI)...
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote