Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

Changes in the TiVo Premiere 20.2.1.1 update

Hi Community,

This morning we began rolling out the 20.2.1.1 update for TiVo Premiere (including XL, XL4, and Elite). Many boxes will be authorized for the update today, with more added each day from the priority list. (http://tivo.com/priority).

There are three main features in the release:
- New Netflix App (created by Netflix)
- New Youtube App (created by Google)
- Parental Controls in HD Menus

Netflix
---------------------------------------------
The existing Netflix experience has been replaced with an entirely new one created by Netflix. In addition to the new look, the app now offers features such as:
ˇ Improved video resolution, including support for 1080p (where available)
ˇ Add to instant Queue
ˇ Subtitles
ˇ Dolby Digital Plus 5.1
ˇ Search
ˇ Personalized categories and recommendations
ˇ Recently watched list

User tip: If you are playing a Netflix video and want to get back to the Netflix menus, press UP. When you want to leave the Netflix app and go back to the TiVo menus, press CLEAR.

YouTube
The existing YouTube experience has been replaced with an entirely new one created by Google. In addition to the new look, the app now offers:
ˇ Directory of YouTube Channels
ˇ Links to related videos
ˇ Automatic playing of the next video (like a TV channel)

User tip: When you want to leave the YouTube app and go back to the TiVo menus, press CLEAR.

Parental Controls in HD Menus
Parental Controls are now available for customers using the HD Menus. From TiVo Central > Settings & Messages > Parental Controls you can set up a four-digit code, and specify which TV and Movie ratings will require that code in order to watch or record the show.
Note: There is no "KidZone" in the HD Menus.

Other changes
1. Cox customers that had difficulty receiving "Plus Pak" channels should find that issue resolved.
2. Customers experiencing pixelation in Amazon Video downloads should find that issue resolved.
3. If you bring up the Guide over a recording, it now highlights the channel on the foreground tuner, rather than the lowest channel in the Guide.
4. The "First Air Date" should now be correct in all locations. (It had been off by one day in some situations.)
5. When pressing RECORD in the Guide and selecting "Season Pass & Other Options" you are now taken to an episode-specific screen instead of a series-specific screen. (Makes it easier to change recording options for that specific episode.)
6. Video Output settings are now respected in video when running the HD Menus. You can now check on all video formats if you prefer "native" resolution pass-through. The TiVo will no longer automatically up-convert to 720p when you are watching full-screen video and using HD Menus.

Just for you, tivocommunity.com!
Our engineers REALLY appreciate the passion you have for TiVo. Some of them closely monitor the activity on this board, and wanted to do a couple of things they knew this group would appreciate the most. So, in this update you'll find:
1. SELECT-PLAY-SELECT-9-SELECT now displays a clock (without seconds) in the upper right corner when using HD Menus. (Make sure you press SELECT once first, to bring up the Mini-Guide, before you enter the code.)
2. For those of you that didn't like the change where the fourth press of Fast Forward was ignored, you can now re-enable the use of the fourth press of FWD to cycle back to PLAY by entering: SELECT-PLAY-SELECT-8-8-SELECT. (Make sure you press SELECT once first, to bring up the Mini-Guide, before you enter the code.)

More Updates Coming
This update will be available to all TiVo Premiere boxes purchased from tivo.com or a retailer. If a cable company provided your TiVo Premiere box, they will notify you when then update is available.

There are a more changes coming this year, including:
ˇ HD version of the Season Pass Manager
ˇ HD version of the To Do List
ˇ HD version of My Shows for Multi-Room Streaming

We hope you enjoy the latest installment in our series of TiVo Premiere updates. If you have feedback about your TiVo experience please email me at margret@tivo.com.
TiVo Inc. *
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #2
innocentfreak

Nice and thanks for doing this.

I think I am more excited about the HD season pass manager and To Do list than this update. Hopefully this means we might be getting some new conflict resolution tools.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
shaown

LOVE THE RELEASE NOTES.

Something I have been dying for - well - for 12 years

Also - great to see what upcoming features you are working on. More HD Menus is great - especially HD Menu for MRS Shows
Thanks
-Shaown
3 S2DT, 1 Phillips S1, 1 HR10-250 HDTivo, 1 S1 DTivo, 3 S2 DTivos, 1 THD 1Tb
shaown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
Lars_J

Thanks!

I'm particularly excited about the parental controls in the HD menus. I can finally switch to the HD menus.

Also - It is not specified anywhere from what I can tell - Does the new Youtube app play videos in HD?
Old 05-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

If you aren't seeing new Netflix after the update...

If your box has updated to the Spring release today, and you aren't able to access the new Netflix app, please go to Settings > Channels > My Video Providers.

(Visiting that screen should force a refresh that you might otherwise have to wait for.)
TiVo Inc. *

Old 05-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
DaveWhittle

Thanks for posting Margret!!!
DaveWhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
xander777

Marget, Does the new Youtube app play HD videos? Didn't see that in the release notes.
xander777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

4-hour wait for Netflix & YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
If your box has updated to the Spring release today, and you aren't able to access the new Netflix app, please go to Settings > Channels > My Video Providers.

(Visiting that screen should force a refresh that you might otherwise have to wait for.)
CORRECTION: It may take up to four hours after the update is installed, for the authorizations for the Netflix and YouTube apps to make it to your box. So far I haven't found any tricks for making it happen faster.

Sorry for the delay!
TiVo Inc. *

Old 05-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #9
Test

Pending Restart!

Restarting!!!
Old 05-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #10
colin1497

Holy cow, the transparency of actually publishing what's changed is enough to make me consider replacing my S3 with a Premiere. Maybe.
colin1497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #11
TerpBE
Go Terps!

Thanks for keeping us updated Margret!
TerpBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #12
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

Marget, Does the new Youtube app play HD videos? Didn't see that in the release notes.

I would hope that it would default to HD. The quality of the videos in the old youtube app was awful.
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #13
Johnwashere

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post

I would hope that it would default to HD. The quality of the videos in the old youtube app was awful.
It DOES, but it was not in the release notes. I belive the quality was only at 360p and was the mobile version of youtube. So it could never even access the full youtube (vevo, and many other parts). Hopefully we finally have the full youtube!
Johnwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #14
tomm1079

thanks for the release notes...
tomm1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #15
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post

Yes! YouTube videos in HD! (You can even narrow your Search to only show results that are in HD.)
TiVo Inc. *

Old 05-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #16
Johnwashere

Quote:
Yes! YouTube videos in HD! (You can even narrow your Search to only show results that are in HD.)
Do you know if we get the full youtube now (like on google tv)? I mainly want to be able to access vevo. Before I believe we had the limited "mobile" version of youtube.
Johnwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #17
aztivo

Why would the clock be in the upper right corner. It was perfect in the lower right corner?
aztivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #18
xander777

Quote:
Sweet! Thank you.
xander777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #19
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztivo View Post
Why would the clock be in the upper right corner. It was perfect in the lower right corner?
Really???

Kind of petty...
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #20
jakerome

Quote:
FINALLY!!! Hooray.
jakerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #21
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztivo View Post
And yesterday it was right in the middle. Probably moved since the bottom now houses all of the show related data.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #22
JfNebraska
HD Initiate

Question from someone who's just gotten back into the Tivo waters.

I tried to start a "Connect to Tivo Service Now" to bring in the update and got a message saying that service was temporarily unavailable because of a scheduled update at 2:00 AM.

Anything I can do to bring down 20.2.1.1 now, or do I just need to learn a small modicum of patience?
JfNebraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #23
mrsean

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Really???

Kind of petty...
I disagree. Not petty at all. We have all the right to want the clock positioned as it originally was.

I'm going to reserve judgement until I actually see how the clock looks on the top of screen, but I can already say that I don't like the idea of it being there. Although, I do appreciate the engineers efforts to address the clock issue.

Margret - Excellent summation of the update. Thanks!
mrsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #24
Balzer

Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfNebraska View Post
Question from someone who's just gotten back into the Tivo waters.

I tried to start a "Connect to Tivo Service Now" to bring in the update and got a message saying that service was temporarily unavailable because of a scheduled update at 2:00 AM.

Anything I can do to bring down 20.2.1.1 now, or do I just need to learn a small modicum of patience?
I believe that message will come up if the update is already downloaded. The network page probably says "Pending Restart", so all that person should need to do is reboot to install the update.

Roamio Plus (Sep '14 - Present)
Roamio (Sep '13 - Present)
Premiere(July '12 - Present)
Premiere(August '11 - Present)
TiVo HD (July '07 - July '12)
TiVo S1 (August '01 - July '07)
Balzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #25
werk

Margret:
Thank you so much for posting here and a big thanks for summarizing the update 's features and likely upcoming update features. A little communication goes a long way, especially for longtime TiVo users like myself.

Now who at Amazon do we have to pester to get them cracking on an updated TiVo app with streaming???
werk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #26
minimeh
Vanity Phrase Here

One more huzzah for Margret for posting the 20.2.1.1 update information and to the engineering team for the special treats! Fact is, even if the updates and treats aren't what one is personally excited by, you gotta love the efforts.

Thanks.

Last edited by minimeh : 05-10-2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: grammar
minimeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #27
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsean View Post
I disagree. Not petty at all. We have all the right to want the clock positioned as it originally was.

I'm going to reserve judgement until I actually see how the clock looks on the top of screen, but I can already say that I don't like the idea of it being there. Although, I do appreciate the engineers efforts to address the clock issue.

Margret - Excellent summation of the update. Thanks!
I suspect that the redesigned guide screens are taking up that real estate now and was the reason it was moved in the first place. Based on feedback and a desire to provide added value the Devs at TiVo moved this "undocumented" and "unsupported" feature to a location that was more convenient for the user and just as important, available for the devs.

I see no issue in asking the question, but at least acknowledge the attempt...
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #28
Test

Trying out the new netflix app now. Any info on controls? Back/left pauses it instead of going back to the main screen. Play pauses it instead of showing the current time. The info button doesn't do anything. Up works like back and takes you to app.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #29
jwcooper

The communication about the last couple of updates is fantastic. It makes the wait between the updates much better as you know what's coming down the pipe, and approximate time frames for deployment.

Thanks for the release notes Margret!
jwcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #30
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsean View Post

Here is what the clock looks like:

I am slightly blind in my right eye so unless I look directly at the clock its out of my field of vision.

Quote:
Just for you, tivocommunity.com!
Our engineers REALLY appreciate the passion you have for TiVo. Some of them closely monitor the activity on this board, and wanted to do a couple of things they knew this group would appreciate the most. So, in this update you'll find:
1. SELECT-PLAY-SELECT-9-SELECT now displays a clock (without seconds) in the upper right corner when using HD Menus. (Make sure you press SELECT once first, to bring up the Mini-Guide, before you enter the code.)

Last edited by rhettf : 05-10-2012 at 01:53 PM.
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote