http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/10/t...re-xl4-review/
1 Roamio pro
Comcast service
jfalkingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:16 AM   #2
severe

Decent article.

Quote:
The only thing worse than incongruous user experiences is the lack of apps, and while TiVo originally positioned the Premiere line as the everything box, here we are two years later and it hasn't kept up with the competition. Where are Watch ESPN, Vudu, HBO Go, Amazon Prime, Epix, Crackle or CinemaNow? The list goes on. We're sure TiVo owners are very happy to get updated versions of Netflix and YouTube, but, in reality, they're both long overdue and we'd be shocked if TiVo owners who were serious about those other sources haven't at least seriously considered adding another box to fill in the gaps.
Well said.
severe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Yep, that pretty well sums up why this isn't the 'one box' that they so inanely tout in the marketing. But it's still a damn good DVR if nothing else, and that's all I need.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfalkingham View Post
Well at least they confirmed DD+ audio from Netflix. Although since the Premiere only has 1080P pass through it has the resync issues like any HDMI device when changing output resolutions when changing from 720P to 1080P in the stream. I would think alot of people won't like that.
Devices that scale to 1080P have a big advantage with this.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
generaltso

I noticed the review says that it still doesn't support real-time remote scheduling. Wasn't this added to the iphone/ipad app a while ago? I use it all the time for remote scheduling in real-time, and it works great.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
I noticed the review says that it still doesn't support real-time remote scheduling. Wasn't this added to the iphone/ipad app a while ago? I use it all the time for remote scheduling in real-time, and it works great.
I believe when you are away it uses the website. You still have to then wait for your TiVo to call home to pick up the request.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #7
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I believe when you are away it uses the website. You still have to then wait for your TiVo to call home to pick up the request.
That's not true. One of the major updates in the latest version of the app is that it's now real-time, even when in "away" mode. I don't believe that's the case if you use a web browser, but that's definitely the case if you use the iPhone app.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #8
Lars_J

Quote:
That's not true. One of the major updates in the latest version of the app is that it's now real-time, even when in "away" mode. I don't believe that's the case if you use a web browser, but that's definitely the case if you use the iPhone app.
Real time? Doubtful. I'm sure they just have increased the frequency that the boxes 'connect home' to check for new scheduled recordings. This will just give an appearance of real time, but isn't actually.

And by real time, I mean an open continuous network connection - every box maintaining a constant connection to the home TiVo servers would be a *significant* resource issue.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars_J View Post
Real time? Doubtful. I'm sure they just have increased the frequency that the boxes 'connect home' to check for new scheduled recordings. This will just give an appearance of real time, but isn't actually.
You say this because you've tried it? I have tried it. It's real-time.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars_J View Post
Real time? Doubtful. I'm sure they just have increased the frequency that the boxes 'connect home' to check for new scheduled recordings.
Actually for quite some time now there has been an active connection from TiVos to their servers so there is no need for polling. I believe they are now making more use of this connection now with almost instant remote scheduled recordings. I don't think it is enabled from the website yet though.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
stlbluesfan74
Mike

May not be the best place for this question but is it true the XL4 cannot record OTA?
stlbluesfan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #12
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbluesfan74 View Post
May not be the best place for this question but is it true the XL4 cannot record OTA?
Yes.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #13
jmpage2

I read Engadget's review and if I were to sum up their feelings in one word it would be "meh".

They like TiVo, but primarily because despite all of the inadequacies there isn't anything better on the market... yet.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #14
stlbluesfan74
Mike

Quote:
Yes.
Ouch! Thank you for confirming that. For future boxes, it looks like I will be sticking with the XL.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #15
severe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbluesfan74 View Post
Ouch! Thank you for confirming that. For future boxes, it looks like I will be sticking with the XL.
Bit of a surprise to me too. As I'm no longer OTA, it doesn't matter much to me, but good to know.
severe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #16
stlbluesfan74
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by severe View Post
Bit of a surprise to me too. As I'm no longer OTA, it doesn't matter much to me, but good to know.
The main reason I purchased the XL was for OTA. I would have been pi$$ed had I sprung for the XL4 only to find out I couldn't get them.

I guess I don't understand why they would take that away. Perhaps a cost cutting move. But judging the high cost of the box itself, I wouldn't think so.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #17
aaronwt
HD Addict

Another reason why they should have kept the Elite name. calling it an XL4 makes it sound too much like an XL. But while an XL can record OTA and analog content, the XL4 is limited to only digital cable and requires a cable card.
The name creates too much confusion for consumers.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #18
sbiller

Quote:
Correct. Just checked it again with the iPad app connected to my Elite. It instantly confirmed a future recording.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #19
b_scott
TiVo Fan

uh i'm seeing a new Netflix app in the review. Is that just for the XL4? or is that an update soon to come?

EDIT: Nevermind just saw the new change thread.

Last edited by b_scott : 05-10-2012 at 05:54 PM.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:07 AM   #20
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
I read Engadget's review and if I were to sum up their feelings in one word it would be "meh".

They like TiVo, but primarily because despite all of the inadequacies there isn't anything better on the market... yet.
I hope that the Ceton Q (due out later this year) will give them a run for the money - it certainly has the potential with the specs and software they've been demo'ing. Moxi tried and failed.

Tivo needs some real players to push them to do better, because they are zombie slow.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #21
aaronwt
HD Addict

They have picked up the pace quite a bit over the last 6 to 9 months.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #22
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Well, if you say so. I don't consider finishing the HDUI almost 3 years after it first shipped to be speedy (if they deliver the remaining stuff this year), but it's certainly been better lately.

Still missing a lot of useful apps though that many others have, as the engadget review mentioned.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #23
jmpage2

I have detected a pulse at TiVo, but it does not seem as though they are taking things seriously enough. When the market is slow and stagnant, it is the time to double down, make big investments in the business and try to dramatically improve.

They only seem to have waken up and "smelled the coffee" sometime in the last 6-12 months.

The entire stodgy, slow, cable delivery industry is ripe for a new product to come in and shake things up in a big way.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #24
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Yep - Comcast in particular loves to mention all the great technical trials of new DVR tech etc. that they are doing, but very little of it hits the road. At least they're smart enough to partner with others that actually have product out there to do what they can't (i.e. Xbox and now Tivo).