Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-08-2012, 06:37 AM   #121
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteB View Post
Are we still stuck with the HD recordings folder under MyShows? Is anyone still recording non-HD these days? Get rid of it, or let us hide it (along with the deleted folder if we choose).
Yeah really, it is a pretty stupid "feature" to have hard-coded.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:38 AM   #122
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Are we still stuck with the HD recordings folder under MyShows? Is anyone still recording non-HD these days? Get rid of it, or let us hide it (along with the deleted folder if we choose).
They need to give us an option to have an SD folder or an HD folder. Most of what I record and watch has been in HD for eleven years now.
I would much rather the folder be an SD folder.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:43 AM   #123
Johnwashere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighouse View Post
Really?? Pics please!
Hes joking. Margret said yesterday the update is "getting closer". So who knows. Hopefully by the end of May...
Johnwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #124
Xab

Quote:
+1 on this. I don't record anything in non-HD. I wish you could set a preference for Suggestions to record only HD versions of things. I end up with tons of stuff in there recorded in SD when there is a HD version or channel available.
Xab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #125
Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xab View Post
+1 on this. I don't record anything in non-HD. I wish you could set a preference for Suggestions to record only HD versions of things. I end up with tons of stuff in there recorded in SD when there is a HD version or channel available.
Is there a way to have TiVo only display HD versions of the channels that broadcast both?
Old 05-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #126
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test View Post
Is there a way to have TiVo only display HD versions of the channels that broadcast both?
Setup your favorites list with only the HD channels.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #127
BigJimOutlaw

You can go into the channel settings and unselect the SD versions of channels that also come in HD. Takes a few minutes, but cleans up the redundancies.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #128
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
They need to give us an option to have an SD folder or an HD folder. Most of what I record and watch has been in HD for eleven years now.
I would much rather the folder be an SD folder.
I see no need for either.

If you don't ever want SD, then turn off the SD channels- problem solved. I hate having a folder there that is not necessary. It is just more clutter (and more the TiVo has to draw every time).

I would much rather they give us the ability to create our own special sorting folders and categories- like "movies" or "series" ...that type of thing would actually be useful.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #129
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
You can go into the channel settings and unselect the SD versions of channels that also come in HD. Takes a few minutes, but cleans up the redundancies.
I wish the box was smart enough on its own to record programs in HD when there's both a HD and SD channel. The SD recordings usually happen with suggestions in my case. I've never really bothered to fix it, because it's only a minor nuisance.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:09 PM   #130
gweempose

That is the one thing I actually liked about my Motorola Comcast DVR. When you tune to an SD station, it lets you know that the station is available in an HD version, and ask you if you want to switch to it.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #131
Bighouse
200 Club Member

TiVo Margret Schmidt (@tivodesign)
5/9/12 10:47 AM
Spring Update for Premiere will include: new Netflix (created by Netflix), new YouTube (created by Google), & Parental Controls in HD Menus.

Sent from my iPad
Old 05-09-2012, 05:49 PM   #132
monkeydust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighouse View Post
TiVo Margret Schmidt (@tivodesign)
5/9/12 10:47 AM
Spring Update for Premiere will include: new Netflix (created by Netflix), new YouTube (created by Google), & Parental Controls in HD Menus.

Sent from my iPad
Didn't realize these things would be premier only if I am interpreting that correctly. That's unfortunate if true.
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #133
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
Didn't realize these things would be premier only if I am interpreting that correctly. That's unfortunate if true.
Most likely updated Netflix & YouTube are using Flash HME which is only available on series 4 platform.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #134
mrsean

I was hoping that there would be some bug fixes in the update as well. Hopefully TiVo will do a maintenance only release soon to clean up all the bugs and unwanted "features" from the last two updates.
mrsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #135
jonbig

I would expect that some bug fixes might show up in this release, but none have enough impact for Margret to mention.
jonbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:23 PM   #136
severe

A bit off topic, but some of the posts about folders got me thinkin.

Has the idea of a color coded guide option ever come up? For example, movie or sports channels could be color coded to help in organization and faster channel selection.
severe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #137
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by severe View Post
A bit off topic, but some of the posts about folders got me thinkin.

Has the idea of a color coded guide option ever come up? For example, movie or sports channels could be color coded to help in organization and faster channel selection.
I HATED that as did the wife on our old cable company Guide
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #138
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust

Series 3 boxes aren't getting updates anymore. If you meant the Elite, that's now called the Premiere XL4 so it's a Premiere.
morac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #139
monkeydust

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Series 3 boxes aren't getting updates anymore. If you meant the Elite, that's now called the Premiere XL4 so it's a Premiere.
I didn't know that. I have a Series 3 and an Elite.
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #140
severe

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
I HATED that as did the wife on our old cable company Guide
Operative word: option

But thanks for your contribution.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #141
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
I wish the box was smart enough on its own to record programs in HD when there's both a HD and SD channel. The SD recordings usually happen with suggestions in my case. I've never really bothered to fix it, because it's only a minor nuisance.
Why do you want the SD channel in your guide if there is already a HD channel?

Personally I only have HD channels active since I hate SD (blindish in one eye so hd really helps)

Last edited by rhettf : 05-09-2012 at 10:08 PM.
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #142
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettf View Post
Why do you want these channel in your guide and there is already a HD channel?

Personally I only have HD channels active since I hate SD (blindish in one eye so hd really helps)
I'm not offended about any of the issues that occur but I can say that my family has had a few channels with both HD and SD versions that we left "on". Reason being some of the shows are for my kids and I don't think my 5 year old cares if she watches the repeat episode of a cartoon for the 50th time in HD or SD. But there are shows I want to watch on those channels in HD. So saving some room on the drive at the expense of my kids cartoons.

Now with a 2tb elite with a 1tb extender I'm less stingy and have gone almost all HD. But back in the old days had to save space some how. :-D

Also could be wishlist programs.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #143
Arcady
Stargate Fan

One reason to leave on the SD version of a channel is so that when they play SD content that the channel decides to stretch or otherwise mangle on the HD channel, you can switch to the SD channel and watch it correctly.

Discovery does this all the time with older SD content. They zoom it in slightly to fill more of the 16x9 display, cutting off the top and bottom. Channels like TNT will stretch content or even worse, only stretch the edges. Barf. I'll take bars on the side over ruined content any day.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:52 PM   #144
severe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
One reason to leave on the SD version of a channel is so that when they play SD content that the channel decides to stretch or otherwise mangle on the HD channel, you can switch to the SD channel and watch it correctly.
Good point. I agree about choosing bars over stretched content. But I think I'd rather just punch in the SD channel number if that's the case, rather than keeping it in the guide.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:17 AM   #145
jkudlacz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
i'm new to tivo (tomorrow), and this thread has me wondering...instead of investing in lifetime service, i'm thinking the money may be better invested in new equipment in a few years instead.

let's face it, the drive will probably need to be replaced or upgraded about the same time the lifetime service breaks even paying for itself. And it might be at EOL by then, too.

i'm just started my first 30 days, and could still get lifetime. am i missing something?
Sorry if someone already answered this but yes you are wrong. I originally purchased S3 5 years ago with lifetime service, and it actually paid for itself within 2.5 years then TiVo Premiere was introduced 6 months after that. I sold my S3 on eBay and with the special from TiVo for existing customers I bought NEW TiVo Premiere for less than I sold my S3 on eBay, and actually I made $30 on the upgrade. My TIVO Premiere is worth around $500 today. So yes get yourself a lifetime and next time there is new hardware from TiVo you should upgrade like me.
jkudlacz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:36 AM   #146
hillyard

Bring back the filters! Don't know why they ever removed them.
hillyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #147
sharkster

I don't understand the HD Folder either. Why would anybody think that the redundancy is necessary? (rhetorical)

Only two of the channels I watch don't have HD versions (TVLand & LOGO), so I know which shows aren't HD and, besides, all the HD channels have the HD in the name on the right side column anyway.

NorthAlabama (PS: My father lives there) - I think that Lifetime is worthwhile, based on my first two Tivos (for which I did NOT purchase Lifetime). They lasted eight years and are still 100% operable, but I recently replaced them with two Premieres. For those, I thought about it for a week and made the decision to get Lifetime on them. The hard part, of course, was choking down the $800 for two Lifetimes. I also have the extended warranties, so at least I know I'm good for three years. Based on the monthly fee when I got mine, purchasing Lifetime will have been a practical choice.

The guy at Tivo, when I was purchasing my two new Premieres, sold me on the $99 Lifetime for one of my Series 2 machines. Sadly, the reason that he told me it would be worthwhile (to me) was a LIE so now I have a Lifetime Series 2 Tivo/DVD Player that, while it works perfectly, is useless to me.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #148
Johnwashere

Coming REAL soon now:
http://blog.tivo.com/2012/05/an-upda...vo-premiere-2/

TiVo Margret Schmidt ‏ @tivodesign
An initial group TiVo Premiere DVRs are now authorized for the Spring Update. "Connect to the TiVo Service now" to see if yours was picked!
Johnwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #149
Jeff_DML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnwashere View Post
Coming REAL soon now:
http://blog.tivo.com/2012/05/an-upda...vo-premiere-2/

TiVo Margret Schmidt ‏ @tivodesign
An initial group TiVo Premiere DVRs are now authorized for the Spring Update. "Connect to the TiVo Service now" to see if yours was picked!
Probably already another thread on this but for the lazy who did not click the link it also says

Quote:
There are a more changes coming this year, including:

HD version of the Season Pass Manager
HD version of the To Do List
HD version of My Shows for Multi-Room Streaming

Jeff_DML is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #150
Test

Pending restart!

Restarting!!!!