TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #181
tecnofile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenr View Post
tecnofile
You have just proven that the 6.4a update is now being sent again over the satellites.

The one thing you've misunderstood is that the update comes from the satellite, but it's the phone call that causes the TiVo to update using the image from the satellite.
Oh ok then that explains it, I thought the update came across the ph line. So I guess that could be good news for some ppl if they get the 6.4a over the sat now and can update.

So can anyone answer my question about if I use this 6.4a update and I use slicer to update, will all my previous recordings survive the update??
tecnofile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #182
l2bengtrek

My 2 cents is that I really don't blame DTV that much for this. Standard Def Tivos have haven't been offered by them for quite some time now. Mine is hacked and like many others, CHOSE TO NOT allow updates for the software because it would wipe out the modifications...which is what caused this problem. Now for the people who for whatever reason did not know and therefore did not do the update to 6.4 when it was available..this is unfortunate...Pain in the butt to fix? Yes. But if we all had left our phone lines hooked to them to make the call for an update..we wouldn't be talking about this...FWIW
l2bengtrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #183
dc123

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2bengtrek View Post
My 2 cents is that I really don't blame DTV that much for this. Standard Def Tivos have haven't been offered by them for quite some time now. Mine is hacked and like many others, CHOSE TO NOT allow updates for the software because it would wipe out the modifications...which is what caused this problem. Now for the people who for whatever reason did not know and therefore did not do the update to 6.4 when it was available..this is unfortunate...Pain in the butt to fix? Yes. But if we all had left our phone lines hooked to them to make the call for an update..we wouldn't be talking about this...FWIW
Since mine isn't hacked, will hooking up to the phone fix my issue or do I need to wait until somebody here says that an update is available through directv.
dc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #184
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
I am not an "apologist", just expressing the view that it isn't a diabolic plot of DirecTV to force everyone to replace their TiVos. If indeed 6.4a is back "in the stream", that shows that DirecTV does want to keep the old boxes alive.

dc123, you should hook the box to the phone line. It can take a few days to download all the "slices" for the update, so don't be concerned if you don't get the new software right away. But you can force a "daily call" and then see if you are in a "pending reboot" status.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #185
dc123

Thanks for the info. I will do that. I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't cause me more issues. Like I said mine is straight out of the box. Bought it new years ago with the intent of hacking it but never did I was too lazy.

Last edited by dc123 : 05-02-2012 at 03:16 PM.
dc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:14 AM   #186
tecnofile

Well it was the correct 6.4a, it appears. Ran the slicer and it seemed to work, and my recordings seem to still be intact(thanks to no one for any help). Lost my fa120 netusb adapter, which Im still trying to get working. At least I still have bash through the serial cable.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:41 AM   #187
kenr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecnofile View Post
Well it was the correct 6.4a, it appears. Ran the slicer and it seemed to work, and my recordings seem to still be intact(thanks to no one for any help). Lost my fa120 netusb adapter, which Im still trying to get working. At least I still have bash through the serial cable.
I can't get my USB device to work either despite making sure I had the back port drivers. Are you getting "unlinking" printed repeatedly on the serial port?
kenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:01 AM   #188
tecnofile

Quote:
I can't get my USB device to work either despite making sure I had the back port drivers. Are you getting "unlinking" printed repeatedly on the serial port?
I don't remember seeing unlinking, but I will check again. The message I keep seeing mainly is something about:

USB device 2 (xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) is not claimed by any active driver.
Unable to handle kernel paging request................... yada yada

Then it just reboots over and over until I unplug the fa120

Ive now ran across so many different threads about losing networking, but none are clear and none seem to be about my model (hdvr2), so I don't know whether to follow those posts or not..

Last edited by tecnofile : 05-04-2012 at 01:05 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #189
tomc585

Quote:
I'm in the NYC market and lost channels:
2 (CBS)
4 (NBC)
5 (FOX)
7 (ABC)
13 (PBS)

I just noticed that these channels are active with the same programming as the lost channels:
390 (CBS-E)
392 (NBC-E)
396 (ABC-E)
398 (FOX-E)

Therefore the only channel I've actually lost is PBS. I don't recall if these 39x channels were active before, but for us in the NYC market, it sure alleviates most of the problem.
NY Metro Area, I just lost 4 NBC and 5 FOX yesterday and 7 ABC today. Ch390, 392, 396 and 398 are now active which were not before. Running stock SD-DVR80 w 6.2
tomc585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #190
wishbone4401

I sent a letter to Directv corporate headquarters around the 1st of April when I began to have problems receiving my local channels.

A corporate representative has called me once every week since then with a status of the problem. Until today, the status has been “we have not heard anything from engineering about how they are going to fix this problem”.

Today a representative called and told me the following:

The software downloads to fix this problem have been restarted. To get the download you need to do the following:

Have the receiver hooked up to a phone line and be sure the phone line is not in use

Go to the Directv menu / read messages & settings / settings / phone / connect to the DVR service now

Initiate the call - if it fails, try again or exercise the option to select another phone number

After a successful phone call, go to the Directv menu / read messages & settings / reset or restart system / restart the recorder

After the recorder restarts, go to the Directv menu / read messages & settings / system information / - verify the software version starts with the numbers 6.4

If the software version does not start with 6.4, wait 24 hours and repeat the process.

When the system information finally indicates the software version starts with 6.4, the local channels should return

If the local channels DO NOT return within 4 hours, go to the Directv menu / read messages & settings / reset or restart system / clear program information and to do list

The local channels should return at this point but you will have to re-enter your season pass selections.

I asked if the updates were available nation wide or if they were being phased in gradually across the US? She said they are available nation wide.

I asked if the software updates will work on all DTV / TIVO receivers? She said her information states the updates will work on all “legacy” models - she didn’t know specific models.
wishbone4401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:39 AM   #191
wetchemistry

Now that it's been fixed, I am having "showcases" pop up when a show I have recorded is over. Does anyone know how to rid this annoyance?
wetchemistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #192
tomc585

does " clear program information" wipe out my recordings?..also, I dont have a landline so i would bring it to a friends house, i dont need it to be hooked up to a dish to get the update right?

Last edited by tomc585 : 05-05-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #193
wetchemistry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc585 View Post
does " clear program information" wipe out my recordings?..also, I dont have a landline so i would bring it to a friends house, i dont need it to be hooked up to a dish to get the update right?
"If the local channels DO NOT return within 4 hours, go to the Directv menu / read messages & settings / reset or restart system / clear program information and to do list"

Doing the above will delete the guide completely and the to do list, which will wreak havoc on your season passes. You will have to re-enter the season passes manually.

As to dialing in from a friend's house without satellite reception. I don't know
Old 05-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #194
tomc585

i dont mind setting up the season passes, i just dont want to lose my library of recorded shows.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #195
sk33t3r

Well as several others I WAS missing a few locals here in Houston, I followed http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...69#post6687969 to get the slices over then ran SLICER that I had stored from way way back. All the shows are still there and playing fine. Now its time to fix dear ole dads HDVR2 Im still missing 2 locals, so a clear and delete may fix that. If you need the slices here they are

http://www.dvrupgrade.com/software/u...101.slices.tgz

http://www.dvrupgrade.com/software/u...151.slices.tgz

http://www.dvrupgrade.com/software/u...351.slices.tgz

http://www.dvrupgrade.com/software/u...121.slices.tgz

http://www.dvrupgrade.com/software/u...321.slices.tgz
HR21-200
HR20-100
DRD420re

Last edited by sk33t3r : 05-06-2012 at 04:56 PM.
sk33t3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #196
JackS

Lost some local channels in L.A.

I'm running an HDVR2 (v6.2a) in the Los Angeles area. Last month I
lost local channel 5 - KTLA. I guess it was not a technical issue, but rather
a lack of agreeing to contractual terms for rebroadcast by DTV? It was
back again within a few days.

Starting Thurs, I lost another local channel 4 - KNBC. No audio, no video.
Guide data and program info are found. One call to DTV and they say that
their engineers are working on a solution. (I usually have to call at least
twice.) Three days later and still no audio/video on ch 4.

-Jack
JackS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #197
tomc585

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackS View Post
I'm running an HDVR2 (v6.2a) in the Los Angeles area. Last month I
lost local channel 5 - KTLA. I guess it was not a technical issue, but rather
a lack of agreeing to contractual terms for rebroadcast by DTV? It was
back again within a few days.

Starting Thurs, I lost another local channel 4 - KNBC. No audio, no video.
Guide data and program info are found. One call to DTV and they say that
their engineers are working on a solution. (I usually have to call at least
twice.) Three days later and still no audio/video on ch 4.

-Jack
Join the club jack. Check for your lost locals up in the 300's for a quick fix or plug in a phone line and let DTV do its thing. Reports are that it may take a while for the receiver to get the update going. Make sure your setup to dial in to a working DTV number. I never used the dial up and when I checked it (phone number to DTV) wasnt even a working number. Run the phone self check to be sure.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #198
Irv

Lost some locals in DFW area with a bone stock Sony SAT-T60 (original HDD).

I'm going through the upgrade process now. I had to run a temporary phone line across the room -- it hasn't made a daily call in over 4 years ...so I'm a little behind. Might take a few days.

System info currently shows version 3.5c
Old 05-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #199
tomc585

so i brought my dvr to work and let it call in, download...rinse-repeat, rinse-repeat. I did it 4 times to make sure it finished. Hopefully tonight it will complete its transformation to 6.4
Old 05-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #200
dah31

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irv View Post
Lost some locals in DFW area with a bone stock Sony SAT-T60 (original HDD).

I'm going through the upgrade process now. I had to run a temporary phone line across the room -- it hasn't made a daily call in over 4 years ...so I'm a little behind. Might take a few days.

System info currently shows version 3.5c
I haven't made a daily call in longer than that (well over 5 years), but you win on software version!

Looks like this issue has hit Wash. DC now. My two SD DTiVo boxes have both lost channels 4 (CBS), 5 (F*x), 7 (ABC), and 9 (CBS). Tuning to one of these channels gives a black screen with a DTV banner "Channel not available.". One box is running 6.2a and is missing 26 (PBS) and 32 (PBS) as well, and possibly other channels; I haven't checked the Other box for those yet. The channels are missing from the All Channels Guide.

We had a brief power cut this morning, so I thought that might have been related. I rebooted the Other box, and it was "Unable to obtain information for all channels". Then it crashed while trying again, so I pulled the plug and rebooted. Again it was "Unable…", but this time it went to Live TV.

This box has been having difficulties like this on startup for at least a couple of months; the last time was at the start of April, when I swapped my New HDTiVo into its spot so the tech could access it (a (probably) unrelated issue about Live TV trick play sometimes not working). That time, it didn't go to Live TV but rather to a GSOD. It seemed to sort itself out after an hour or two of me scrambling to get copies of the programmes I thought I'd lose when I inevitably had to reimage the box.

Here's the version information from the Other box:

Code:
% /% SwSystem

Directory of /SwSystem starting at ''

Name                      Type        FsId      Date  Time   Size
    ----                      ----        ----      ----  ----   ----
    6.2-01-2-321              tyDb        3965  04/03/12 16:57    724
    6.3f-01-2-101             tyDb      526148  04/03/12 16:52    780
    6.4a-01-2-121             tyDb     1350086  04/03/12 17:43    780
    ACTIVE                    tyDb        3965  04/03/12 16:57    724

% %
So it looks like it's time to back up the drive and get slicing. It's not like I've got anything else to do(!) There's a good reason why I've stayed on 6.2 despite the Daylight-Saving Time changes: updating is tedious.

Don't mind me; just having a grumble. I feel a bit better now. :-)
Old 05-08-2012, 07:42 AM   #201
tomc585

woke up this morning at 5:30am and saw the box was downloading data. Had my hopes up since normally the dvr updates are finished by 3-4am ish. Sad to see im still on 6.2a. Guess i need to try another dial in session.

HR21-200
SD-DVR320
D11-100
Old 05-08-2012, 07:57 AM   #202
thegreen

Quote:
woke up this morning at 5:30am and saw the box was downloading data. Had my hopes up since normally the dvr updates are finished by 3-4am ish. Sad to see im still on 6.2a. Guess i need to try another dial in session.
I've been hooked up to phone/sat, doing extra daily calls/reboots every day or so, and I got nothing. If I were you, I'd wait until you see posts claiming success before lugging that thing again.
thegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #203
JackS

Quote:
Join the club jack. Check for your lost locals up in the 300's for a quick fix ...
Thanks.
Found my local NBC on channel 393 (KNBC Los Angeles) Saturday morning.
Added ch 393 to Favorite Channels. Season Pass recorded ok from ch 393.

My HDVR2 has been running without a hitch for 4-5 years, with no phone
connection. If I loose more local channels, and it fouls up season passes,
I'm prepared to take corrective action.

-Jack
JackS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #204
roadrashjd

OK - So I finally called Direct TV. They are going to force the 6.4 Upgrade to load.

Now I have a hacked Hughes DVR-40 to 300 Hours. I know it reboots every morning. Do I need to go in and change a setting to make sure that the update takes.

When and IF the update takes will I lose all my hacks. I tried reading down through the threads, but I'm getting mixed messages. Should I use Slicer?

Can anyone help?

JD

Last edited by roadrashjd : 05-08-2012 at 01:48 PM.
roadrashjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:17 PM   #205
nmiller855

Just spent 30 minutes on the phone with a technical support "expert" that has worked there 4 years & doesn't have a clue about TiVos. He immediately my unit was the cause of losing local channels. He had me do the guided setup & when it took longer than 3 minutes he said that proved it is the box & he can't stay on the phone with me any longer.
When I referenced this thread he had no response. He said I was eligible for an upgrade & should take it. When I told him I had lifetime service on this unit & was not interested in buying another box he basically siad he couldn't help me.
My OCD came in handy because I have another TiVo hooked up & just switched the season passes for those channels to the other unit.
nmiller855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #206
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
You will lose your hacks unless you manually install the slices and reestablish the hacks before it reboots. I don't know what Slicer does - I have always done these upgrades by hand.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:28 PM   #207
Vern748

Same Here

Well it looks like it is onto the SFO/Bay Area. 1 DTV Hughes DVR-40 is missing 2Fox, 5KCBS, 7KGO, 9PBS. The other DTV Hughes DVR-40 is still getting these channels for now. Looks like the wife needs to finish watching all her stored movies before I blow away the To Do List.

Vern748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:57 AM   #208
sk33t3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern748 View Post
Well it looks like it is onto the SFO/Bay Area. 1 DTV Hughes DVR-40 is missing 2Fox, 5KCBS, 7KGO, 9PBS. The other DTV Hughes DVR-40 is still getting these channels for now. Looks like the wife needs to finish watching all her stored movies before I blow away the To Do List.
Im waiting on my wife to do that same thing, so I can clear and delete. But she keeps on recording!!!
HR21-200
HR20-100
DRD420re
sk33t3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:47 AM   #209
wetchemistry

You can blow the to do list and not lose your current recordings, you WILL have to re-enter all your Season Passes. They will still be listed, but will not work, so you will have to delete, re-enter, and hope you don't forget one.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #210
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony

DirecTV tech sounded surprised that the phone calls haven't resulted in a software update from 6.2a to 6.4. They're sending a tech to my house Monday morning. Based on what I'm reading here I don't think they're going to be able to restore my missing locals that way.