TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-10-2012, 03:25 AM   #1
kennyz79

DirecTV Tivo with Series 3 Tivo that is 3months old.

I recently switched from Comcast to DirecTV and I loved my Tivo that I purchased for Comcast (Netflix, etc). I managed to get the DirecTV Tivo HD DVR and I was wondering how to network it with my other Tivo Series 3 model. Is this possible? If not, what are the options I can do if I wish to keep DirecTV. Does DirecTV offer a cable card or is their equipment completely proprietary. Please answer all the questions. Thanks.
kennyz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Networking the two is not possible and your cable TiVo is not usable with DirecTV.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:13 AM   #3
Series3Sub

The DirecTiVo (HRT22?) integrates into the DTV system just like any other DTV box. In fact, the hardware is an OLDER DTV DVR. The difference is in the software. The interface is the old familiar TiVo interface.

Oh yeah, please note that the new DirecTiVo is OLD Series 3 platform and interface (not the Premiere HD new and improved interface) has virtually NONE of the retail TiVo features such as MRV, OTT (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc.), and I forget what else it doesn't have compared to the retail boxes, and it won't work with any of the coming TiVo products such as the "extender" technology (essentially straming to another room using a small device for that purpose only and not require a complete TiVo set-top-box, so some money saving there).

In short, the DirecTiVo is a neutered OLD box and platform that provides pretty much ONLY the OLD TiVo interface. This is a box for TiVo lovers who must have the old familiar interface.

Now, if it were a Series 4 platform with the improved HD interface and AT LEAST allowed MRV, then it would be something for more people. It is a sad story.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote