TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-08-2012, 01:24 AM   #1
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Smash "Previews" 5/7/12

That church had some impressive production values.

I think it's safe to say the Uma Thurman experiment was a failure. The "Let Me Be Your Star" opening was painful both to watch and listen to (for once I agree with Ellis), and she descended into caricature and was simply not comfortable in this role. Katharine McPhee should be starring in that show, period, and it's encouraging that they've started the retooling process.

Clearly the Dev/Ivy thing is going to blow up at some point; honestly, I wish they'd explored this earlier, as it's so much better than the contrived Karen/Ivy tension we got for most of the season.

I think they're handling the Tom/Julia feud all wrong. The show was out of options and had to bring Michael back immediately, and my fear is that it'll take her most of next season to fully see it. Those two are also the most palatable relationship on the show, and I hate to see it at least partially derailed...particularly by something as stupid as another advance on Julia by Michael. What the hell are they thinking?
Old 05-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Why do I have the feeling that next week's episode (the season finale) is going to end with a shot from behind of the new Marilyn on stage as the curtain goes up, but they leave "is it Karen or Ivy?" as a cliffhanger?

And will "Bombshell" ever have a book?
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Best line of the night: "which one's Ivy?"
Robin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

I hope worm boy Ellis gets his in the season finale.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
And will "Bombshell" ever have a book?
I'm sure it already does if the show is in previews.

Or are you asking if they will make a book for Bomshell in real life, the way they've made a cast recording (of sorts)? If that's your question, then I my guess is that the answer is "probably not".

The only reason to do that would be if they were going to actually produce a real life production of Bombshell. I don't think that's ever been the plan.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
I assumed that That Don Guy meant a *completed* book. This show has gone through so many changes/additions/removals by this point, and they're not remotely done. One would think this was Spiderman: Turn Off The Dark with how many changes they've been through.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
busyba
The Funcooker

No book is ever really completed until Opening Night on Broadway.

Some are more complete earlier than others, but yeah, Bombshell is probably not going to be one of those shows.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #8
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba

Or are you asking if they will make a book for Bomshell in real life, the way they've made a cast recording (of sorts)? If that's your question, then I my guess is that the answer is "probably not".

The only reason to do that would be if they were going to actually produce a real life production of Bombshell. I don't think that's ever been the plan.
Actually, that is the plan.

From what I have read, they would love the success of the show to lead to an actual broadway production. That was the plan from the beginning.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #9
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
Actually, that is the plan.

From what I have read, they would love the success of the show to lead to an actual broadway production. That was the plan from the beginning.
Really? I hadn't heard that, interesting.

I guess that would be the ultimate in corporate synergy. Forget about product placement; now we have a hour-long primetime drama series infomercial.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #10
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm very curious what Julia has planned for the ending... even Tom has no idea.

I was worried that the blame for the peanuts would land on Karen, since she was obviously there. Ellis is the obvious choice, but I think Rebecca put them in the drink herself, to commit suicide. And she'd have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for that nosy Karen.

Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:52 PM   #11
nyny523
Oy

Quote:

I guess that would be the ultimate in corporate synergy. Forget about product placement; now we have a hour-long primetime drama series infomercial.
From what I read, they were hoping that if the show was successful and ran for several seasons, more than one production could come out of it.

It would be a cycle of TV to Broadway.

But the original creator and showrunner - who is a Broadway veteran - will not be doing the show for season 2 (she will still executive produce). They are using the executive producer of Gossip Girl as the showrunner next year. So it will be interesting to see how that effects not only the direction of the show, but what happens to the original plan...
Old 05-09-2012, 12:12 AM   #12
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba

Didn't they do that a few years ago the reality show "Your the one that I want" aka grease where the winners went to star in a broadway revival of Grease!
Old 05-09-2012, 07:28 AM   #13
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
I was worried that the blame for the peanuts would land on Karen, since she was obviously there. Ellis is the obvious choice, but I think Rebecca put them in the drink herself, to commit suicide. And she'd have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for that nosy Karen.
The bartender boyfriend of the producer is involved somehow. He snuck out "to help Ellis get a ride" from that bar. Why would he do that? There's something up there and I think that's what it was... he suggested to Ellis what he should do.

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:05 AM   #14
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
The bartender boyfriend of the producer is involved somehow. He snuck out "to help Ellis get a ride" from that bar. Why would he do that? There's something up there and I think that's what it was... he suggested to Ellis what he should do.
Except that scene happened after the "poisoning"...
Old 05-09-2012, 08:17 AM   #15
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
I think that the "help Ellis get a ride" bit was probably nothing more than a contrivance by the writers to get the bartender out of the room so Angelica Huston could wander over to the piano and get herself a song.

I wonder if the cast on the bartender's hand was actually a real cast that the actor needed to wear.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #16
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Except that scene happened after the "poisoning"...
Actually, it happened the night before, the evening of the performance. The poisoning scene happened the next morning.

That said, it seemed pretty clear to me that he was just making sure Ellis left because he was drunk and talking trash about Eileen right in front of her. ("So you're directing now?" "I'm producing. Someone has to...")

He didn't exactly sneak out - he told Ellis to leave, had a line of dialogue with Eileen, then announced "I'm going to make he has a ride home." He went out and made sure Ellis got in a cab, then came right back in.
Quote:
I think that the "help Ellis get a ride" bit was probably nothing more than a contrivance by the writers to get the bartender out of the room so Angelica Huston could wander over to the piano and get herself a song.
Exactly my thought as well.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #17
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
I wonder if the cast on the bartender's hand was actually a real cast that the actor needed to wear.
I thought that briefly, but I'm sure they could have camouflaged it if that were the case.

I think this is part of his Shady Bartender Dealings.
Robin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #18
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
He really broke it. In half. 18 pins.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #19
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
He really broke it. In half. 18 pins.
Ouch!

That's what I thought. They way they just addressed it and dismissed it practically in the same breath ([paraphrasing] "do I even want to know?" "probably not.") just reeked of "oh well, he needs to wear this cast; let's just hang a lantern on it and move on".

Old 05-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #20
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
I assumed that That Don Guy meant a *completed* book. This show has gone through so many changes/additions/removals by this point, and they're not remotely done. One would think this was Spiderman: Turn Off The Dark with how many changes they've been through.
Actually, what I meant was, would there ever be any "Bombshell" scenes aired where they weren't singing?

Actually, there might have been brief snippets of non-singing scenes; for example, there was one during a rehearsal where the director was yelling at Karen for walking towards the back instead of the front, so her back would be to the audience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
Quote:
Didn't they do that a few years ago the reality show "Your the one that I want" aka grease where the winners went to star in a broadway revival of Grease!
Yes, but that's just it - it's a reality series, not a scripted drama.

Then again, if they do end the season on a cliffhanger as to who is Marilyn, they can have an audience phone-in choose. Something tells me it would turn into a choice between KATHARINE McPHEE!!! and the blonde, whatshername.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #21
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Actually, what I meant was, would there ever be any "Bombshell" scenes aired where they weren't singing?

Actually, there might have been brief snippets of non-singing scenes; for example, there was one during a rehearsal where the director was yelling at Karen for walking towards the back instead of the front, so her back would be to the audience.
We got to see the Marilyn death scene at the end. [cue the spoiler nazis.]

But other than that, I'd be surprised if we saw any non-musical scenes of any significant length.

The one possible exception I could see to that would be if there was something in the scene being performed that had some kind of parallel/relevance to something going on in the lives of the characters, such that the performance of that scene would drive one of the non-Bombshell plots.

Much like the play performed during Hamlet.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #22
jradosh
Newlywed

Perhaps. Perhaps not. Hard to tell all the contrivances in this show.

Speaking of which... Karen can't learn the songs to Bombshell but she has time to learn a gospel number for the church?

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #23
Jonathan_S

Quote:
I assumed that was so he could give Ellis a more emphatic warning about getting above himself with that "well somebody has to [produce this show]" crack. (Or maybe threaten him a bit; the bartender is a shady charactor after all)
Old 05-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #24
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
I assumed that was so he could give Ellis a more emphatic warning about getting above himself with that "well somebody has to [produce this show]" crack. (Or maybe threaten him a bit; the bartender is a shady charactor after all)
That was my first thought, that he was going to go rough him up a bit. But I abandoned that after 1) Angelica started singing, and 2) they didn't show us Ellis getting beat up, which is something that you know the showrunners know we would want to actually see.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #25
Eptiger
TiVo N00b

Regarding the original post in this thread: I thought the ending of the episode resolved the conflict between Julia and Tom? The both apologized and it seems like they'll be fine.

I didn't read the threads for the last couple of episodes so this has probably been hashed out already, but I think Julia is totally in the wrong.I liked that the conflict was there because on one hand it's her fault and she really shouldn't let it hurt the whole production if everyone else believes in him (I personally only think he's alright in the musical), but but on the other hand she doesn't want it to ruin her marriage. She should've just gone to Frank immediately and talked it out with him and expressed her willingness to quit if he didn't want to come with her and keep an eye on Michael Swift.

Speaking of which, I really hated that they had Michael hit on her again and then had her swooning for him again. It makes both of them look like weak people and, granted I haven't been in an affair before, I feel like she should be disgusted with him by now and have immediately pushed him off instead of leaning in. He got punched by Frank and said goodbye to Julia before in front of his family - how is he so fickle? I think at this point though, Julia could have him fired for sexual harassment, which I know we've decided already doesn't exist in their weird universe.

Elton

Eptiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #26
busyba
The Funcooker

I didn't get the impression that she was swooning for him again. I think that pause before she shoved him away was her being completely incredulous over his making that "we're about to kiss" face. It read to me like she was all "are you freaking kidding me?!"

Old 05-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #27
DouglasPHill

And she should tell her hubby what happened and how she handled it.
DouglasPHill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #28
Eptiger
TiVo N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasPHill View Post
I don't know, if I was her husband and I had already confronted Michael once about it, I think the second time I confront him would be significantly more painful for Michael. Though maybe then he'd be out of the play from the damage =P

Elton

Old 05-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #29
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasPHill View Post
Her husband is a pathetic cuckold who didn't have the balls to leave the woman who cheated on him once and then years later did it again. I don't like the character, so I'll be happy when she cheats on him again.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #30
Eptiger
TiVo N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Her husband is a pathetic cuckold who didn't have the balls to leave the woman who cheated on him once and then years later did it again. I don't like the character, so I'll be happy when she cheats on him again.
I think he only came back because of the son. Again, I have no experience with being cheated on but I think it'd be a tough situation for anyone. If there wasn't a child involved, I wouldn't make any effort to re-connect after that much infidelity.

Elton