TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-25-2012, 07:30 AM   #361
StuffOfInterest

Have there been any recent lifetime transfer offers for those of us with ancient Series 2 DT devices? I upgraded to this back around 2006 (or may '06) when TiVo offered a transfer deal from my old Sony SVR 2000 (purchased in 2000). If the deal was right I'd finally ditch the S2DT (currently serving a small TV in the kitchen) if there was a good deal to get into a Premier with the newly expanded disk capacity.
StuffOfInterest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #362
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuffOfInterest View Post
Have there been any recent lifetime transfer offers for those of us with ancient Series 2 DT devices? I upgraded to this back around 2006 (or may '06) when TiVo offered a transfer deal from my old Sony SVR 2000 (purchased in 2000). If the deal was right I'd finally ditch the S2DT (currently serving a small TV in the kitchen) if there was a good deal to get into a Premier with the newly expanded disk capacity.
This thread isn't about "transferring" lifetime subs, it's about having to pay almost $100 for them.

I'm curious as to under what circumstances they let you transfer from that Sony.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #363
StuffOfInterest

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I'm curious as to under what circumstances they let you transfer from that Sony.
It was a package offer to get a Series 2 DT with lifetime and then the series 1 looses it's lifetime sub after 90 days. I don't recall what the package price was but it was good enough to make me change. I think the motivation at the time was TiVo trying to get the last of the Series 1 devices retired.

(edit)

The order is still listed in my account. Did it in July 2007 and it cost $299. Since it was a transfer my service account for that box shows an activation date of September 2000, 11-1/2 years ago.

Last edited by StuffOfInterest : 03-25-2012 at 10:07 AM.
StuffOfInterest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #364
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuffOfInterest View Post
It was a package offer to get a Series 2 DT with lifetime and then the series 1 looses it's lifetime sub after 90 days. I don't recall what the package price was but it was good enough to make me change. I think the motivation at the time was TiVo trying to get the last of the Series 1 devices retired.

(edit)

The order is still listed in my account. Did it in July 2007 and it cost $299. Since it was a transfer my service account for that box shows an activation date of September 2000, 11-1/2 years ago.
Just for those who were not around back then or may have forgotten. TiVo was not offering new lifetime service subscriptions at this point (I think they stopped offering lifetime service late winter/early spring of 2006) and did offer a few deals to transfer lifetime service to new units. They started offering lifetime service again sometime around 5/2008. I do not believe there has been any general offers to transfer lifetime service to new units since TiVo started offering lifetime service again back in 2008.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:41 PM   #365
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
Wow, you got the deal for a S2? That's something I haven't been able to do. You at least gave me hope.
You could probably find a used S2 with lifetime service on line for $99 or less, if you're willing to search for a while. If it's compatible with your existing S2, then you have spare parts that you wouldn't have if you got the $99 lifetime offer from Tivo.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #366
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

One thing is certain and that is that the S3 is never going to get much more support for new things, etc. You surely do not offer $99 lifetime on a unit that is going to get any more bells and whistles.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #367
ScottE22
How YOU doin'?

Hey all -

My dad is going back to Dish (seduced by The Hopper...) and will be giving me back the TiVo HD I gave him three or four year ago. I'd like to put it to use in mu basement media area which currently has a projector, Apple TV, and DVD player, but no tuner.

Has TiVo been known to give the $99 offer to people when they call to cancel outright without adding a Premiere?

If not, it appears from some of the posts above that I might be able to add it to my account for the monthly fee and then call in a few months and hope for the Lifetime offer. I have two Lifetimed Premieres already on my account.

If I do have to add it month-to-month, what's the going rate for a TiVo HD these days? Same as the Premiere?

ScottE22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #368
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I believe a TivoHD is $12.95 /mo ( $9.95 /mo with MSD ).

Is it currently unsubscribed?

If you have to go that route, I would subscribe it and then call TiVo within the 30 day window to cancel. Say you don't want to pay $9.95 /mo, but you would be willing to pay $99 for lifetime.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #369
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottE22 View Post
Hey all -

My dad is going back to Dish (seduced by The Hopper...) and will be giving me back the TiVo HD I gave him three or four year ago. I'd like to put it to use in mu basement media area which currently has a projector, Apple TV, and DVD player, but no tuner.

Has TiVo been known to give the $99 offer to people when they call to cancel outright without adding a Premiere?

If not, it appears from some of the posts above that I might be able to add it to my account for the monthly fee and then call in a few months and hope for the Lifetime offer. I have two Lifetimed Premieres already on my account.

If I do have to add it month-to-month, what's the going rate for a TiVo HD these days? Same as the Premiere?
Call them and threaten to cancel that TCD652160 now, before the name on the account changes. You want them to think that the TiVo is no longer wanted and that this is their last chance at getting any more money out of the present owner.

Then once it's lifetimed, it's lifetimed.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #370
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
You could probably find a used S2 with lifetime service on line for $99 or less, if you're willing to search for a while. If it's compatible with your existing S2, then you have spare parts that you wouldn't have if you got the $99 lifetime offer from Tivo.
I can't use my S2 as a DT since Comcast went all digital. I was trying to give the one I have some resale value.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #371
ScottE22
How YOU doin'?

Quote:
Call them and threaten to cancel that TCD652160 now, before the name on the account changes. You want them to think that the TiVo is no longer wanted and that this is their last chance at getting any more money out of the present owner.

Then once it's lifetimed, it's lifetimed.
I had that thought, too. I guess there's nothing to lose by having him call and act like he's on the fence about canceling. Worst case, they don't offer it to him and I can do as steve614 suggested -- add it and then call on day 28.

From their perspective it's a legacy piece of hardware so any last but of money they can squeeze out of it is only good...

ScottE22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #372
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

I got a great deal which I couldn't pass-up on, I called to see which boxes I have was qualifying MSD Boxes.

Did I just play along (Just oh Really?)with the info that was given to me, yes.

Did I ask If I could buy the premiere right then, yep.

So, after the 26 minutes wait (almost hung-up) I was told I was given the wrong info,by the First CSR. Then he said he went to bat for me... So I come out with a new Premiere with lifetime for $325.64.

Last month I dropped $399 for a premiere, bought on Woot a yr ago. also bought a total of 6 prior TiVos (LT'ed) with my first one costing me $1049 for 30hrs in 1999 which helped his pitch.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #373
SnakeEyes

I don't follow.
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #374
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post
I don't follow.
The first CSR She said I Qualified for the grand fathered Lifetime offer from my first TiVo which I had already done. I said to her Really!! could I buy it from you. She said they might have a Box they could do it on, but most likely I would have to buy it somewhere else.

Expecting to be declined when I was switched to the Sales. when he put me on hold 1 time for (26 Mins) then came back, To say She misinformed me & he went to bat for me, and had a deal. I had to buy the box for full retail and would be able to transfer it for free.

Last edited by Leon WIlkinson : 04-11-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Leon WIlkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #375
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

I really paid $220 for the Lifetime service

My receipt is for a R74632 which I figure is the Refurb TiVo for $79.99, which is what I was expecting, I wasn't told it was a refurb, which is OK. Still gets me a great deal on a premiere which I would not of bought unless I sold one of my other 2 TiVoHD or my S1 all lifetime which I took out of storage around 5 months ago.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #376
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon WIlkinson View Post
I really paid $220 for the Lifetime service

My receipt is for a R74632 which I figure is the Refurb TiVo for $79.99, which is what I was expecting, I wasn't told it was a refurb, which is OK. Still gets me a great deal on a premiere which I would not of bought unless I sold one of my other 2 TiVoHD or my S1 all lifetime which I took out of storage around 5 months ago.
I'll trade you a busted sawzall and a Ranger Rick nature club decoder ring for that lifetime service

Good snag... Good snag...
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #377
Kevin249

Transferring MSD to new Premiere

I have a TiVo S2 with PLS, a TiVo HD with PLS and a Premiere with the MSD rate of $6.95 / month. I would like to purchase another Premiere to replace the aging S2. Does this sound like they would let me upgrade the older Premiere I have to PLS for $99 and transfer the $6.95 rate to the new Premiere if I pay the full Premiere price? anyone have any experience with that scenario?
Kevin249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #378
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin249 View Post
I have a TiVo S2 with PLS, a TiVo HD with PLS and a Premiere with the MSD rate of $6.95 / month. I would like to purchase another Premiere to replace the aging S2. Does this sound like they would let me upgrade the older Premiere I have to PLS for $99 and transfer the $6.95 rate to the new Premiere if I pay the full Premiere price? anyone have any experience with that scenario?
I don't think anybody is getting $99 PLS on anything newer than S3 platform units, and (except for S1s for which PLS was purchased on or before January 20, 2000) probably only under special circumstances is anyone able to transfer, at an additional cost, PLS from an older TiVo to a Premiere.

You did well just to get the $6.95 on the Premiere.

It's likely that the best for which you can hope is for the S2 or S3 with PLS to qualify you for the MSD on PLS on a Premiere, which means it'll be $399 instead of $499.

Is that S2 single or dual tuner?

Old 04-16-2012, 07:14 AM   #379
Kevin249

Quote:
I don't think anybody is getting $99 PLS on anything newer than S3 platform units, and (except for S1s for which PLS was purchased on or before January 20, 2000) probably only under special circumstances is anyone able to transfer, at an additional cost, PLS from an older TiVo to a Premiere.

You did well just to get the $6.95 on the Premiere.

It's likely that the best for which you can hope is for the S2 or S3 with PLS to qualify you for the MSD on PLS on a Premiere, which means it'll be $399 instead of $499.

Is that S2 single or dual tuner?

My S2 (actually I have 2 of them, but ones not hooked up at moment) are both single tuners. Perhaps they still have a little value with the pls on eBay?

The reason I was able to transfer the old $6.95 MSD rate was I bought the Premiere on Amazon the day it dropped to the restricted $99 price about two years ago, which required you buy a 19.95 monthly plan at the same time. For the first 24-48 hours after the price drop no where on the amazon page (nor other retailers if I recall) did it tell you this restriction until you actually got the unit and tried to get service hooked up. This was addressed pretty quickly, as by the time my TiVo arrived by UPS, this restriction was clearly highlighted in the Amazon product description online. I honestly didn't know this was the situation at the time, and felt pretty mis-led. When I complained, a TiVo supervisor offered the $6.95 transfer as a goodwill gesture, but they were adamant at the time that I couldn't get the PLS which I think may have been $299 at the time for existing customers, which was what I really wanted. Either way, the $6.95 offer was a fair deal I thought at the time, and I appreciated the company's willingness to be flexible to a longtime customer.
Kevin249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #380
analog4

I just tried - they offered me lifetime on my TiVo HD for $99 - only if I got a new TiVo Premiere unit and paid for service on that as well - for $12.99 a month or $399 lifetime. Which is exactly what I am trying to avoid. I have already paid $129 for the last 4 years.

So they want $647 or $747 - my DirecTV HD DVR units are looking very tempting now.
analog4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #381
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog4 View Post
I just tried - they offered me lifetime on my TiVo HD for $99 - only if I got a new TiVo Premiere unit and paid for service on that as well - for $12.99 a month or $399 lifetime. Which is exactly what I am trying to avoid. I have already paid $129 for the last 4 years.

So they want $647 or $747 - my DirecTV HD DVR units are looking very tempting now.
You've had that S3 HD on a monthly for the last 4 years and threatening to discontinue didn't get you the $99 offer?

Keep trying until you get a CSR that says "yes".

If they say no, ask them why others have been able to get the deal.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #382
analog4

Quote:
You've had that S3 HD on a monthly for the last 4 years and threatening to discontinue didn't get you the $99 offer?

Keep trying until you get a CSR that says "yes".

If they say no, ask them why others have been able to get the deal.
Nope. I asked if there were promotions, and they said the $399 was it, unless I went with a MSD - $99 Lifetime for the TiVo HD. And $399 Lifetime for a Premiere.

I did web chat - so I may call. I asked how to stop the auto billing, and the guy gave me a toll free number to call, but nothing in the way of a reasonable offer.

So there is a $99 offer on my box with out requiring any purchase of new hardware or purchase?

Last edited by analog4 : 05-07-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:56 PM   #383
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog4 View Post
So there is a $99 offer on my box with out requiring any purchase of new hardware or purchase?
No, nothing in writing.

You have to call the right CSR at the right time, and you might get offered the deal.

It's called CSR roulette.

But let me just say this... the majority of people who have been offered the $99 lifetime on their old equipment had already upgraded (or were in the process of upgrading) to a Premiere.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 05-07-2012 at 11:05 PM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:07 AM   #384
shadowplay0918

I called the other day bc I continue to have trouble with 1 of my 2 lifetime Tivo HD's. The offered me a refurb on that one for $150 which I decided to pass on (it still working but rebooting) but they offered me $99 lifetime on my 3rd HD which I am paying $6.95/month. He claimed it was a new offer that just became available a couple of weeks ago.

I asked if I could think about and he said he would note my account...probably call back tomorrow and accept just for resell value if nothing else...
shadowplay0918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:06 AM   #385
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
No, nothing in writing.

You have to call the right CSR at the right time, and you might get offered the deal.

But let me just say this... the majority of people who have been offered the $99 lifetime on their old equipment had already upgraded (or were in the process of upgrading) to a Premiere.
Do we know of any $99 lifetime offers without the owner having a series 4? I called twice asking about the deal, the last time probably about 6 months ago. I have 2 TiVoHDs subscribed with lifetime and 2 without any service purchased used and I don't see how the 2 without will ever qualify but I can dream.

Last edited by Chris Gerhard : 05-08-2012 at 04:12 AM.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #386
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
Do we know of any $99 lifetime offers without the owner having a series 4? I called twice asking about the deal, the last time probably about 6 months ago. I have 2 TiVoHDs subscribed with lifetime and 2 without any service purchased used and I don't see how the 2 without will ever qualify but I can dream.
I was sent a $99 lifetime offer on a series 2 tivo on an account that was inactive at the time and had only had 2 series tivos subscribed.

Update: I just got another email offering $99 lifetime on a series 2 that is no longer subscribed.

Last edited by poppagene : 05-10-2012 at 05:36 PM.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #387
donnoh

I just called to cancel a month to month service on an HD that I bought and they jumped all over the $99 lifetime to keep it subsrcibed. Bye Bye $9.99 a month, hello $99.00 one time fee!
donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #388
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnoh View Post
I just called to cancel a month to month service on an HD that I bought and they jumped all over the $99 lifetime to keep it subsrcibed. Bye Bye $9.99 a month, hello $99.00 one time fee!
How long ago did you buy that HD?

Old 05-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #389
donnoh

Quote:
How long ago did you buy that HD?
I bought it a few months ago and subscribed it month to month. I have two Premieres that I bought two years ago on my account that both have lifetime.
donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:30 AM   #390
analog4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
No, nothing in writing.

I'd upgrade to a Premiere, but I don't want to keep paying yearly for it, and the $399 Lifetime Offer is the same as I have now - so I still end up spending what I'm trying to avoid right now (and the cost of a new Premiere unit).