TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #61
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

I am having the same issue as described previoususly in this thread. Anyone else still having this issue? Any suggestions on how o fix?
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #62
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
I am having the same issue as described previoususly in this thread. Anyone else still having this issue? Any suggestions on how o fix?
Funny you should mention it...

Although this problem seemed to be "solved" with the 14.8 update, it has happened to me at least a few times since 20.2. I don't think there is a fix. It seems like when it happens, the TiVo is just too busy to deal with any input and quickly catches up once it has "snapped out of it".

Should be interesting to hear if any others had the problem completely disappear in 14.8 only to return in 14.9/20.2...
Old 03-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #63
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
Is this a new remote or did this behavior just start?

If it's a new remote this post by Revelate might be relivant.
(Short version: some remotes appear to have hardware problems that cause symptoms like the old Premiere bug; try returning the remote for a replacement)
Old 05-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #64
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Although this problem seemed to be "solved" with the 14.8 update, it has happened to me at least a few times since 20.2. I don't think there is a fix. It seems like when it happens, the TiVo is just too busy to deal with any input and quickly catches up once it has "snapped out of it".

Should be interesting to hear if any others had the problem completely disappear in 14.8 only to return in 14.9/20.2...
OK, over the last few weeks, the frequency of the problem has increased tremendously for me. Nothing has changed on my end. Same remote, same TiVo, same dongle location, same software, same distance from my chair to the TiVo, no new equipment added in my room, remote batteries are new. But I am being bitten by the glitching every day now, usually several times a day. It is extremely frustrating- I fast forward, get where I want, then press "play" to resume, and it is completely ignored by the Premiere. I press it several more times- nothing. Then a few seconds later it finally resumes normal play. Then I have to rewind, since it overshot horribly.

I even rebooted the TiVo- no change. Unfortunately, it happens so sporadically that I can't catch a glimpse on the TiVo if the amber light is confirming it is received. But I can confirm that the blue light on the remote is lighting up every time, confirming I am SENDING the command to the Premiere.

I ask again- is anyone else seeing this behavior re-surface on 20.2, or is it just me?
Old 05-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #65
darock159

I think it has something to do with the remote itself. The remote I bought shortly after they were released started doing this a couple months ago. It got so bad I disconnected the bluetooth dongle and am just using the slide in IR mode. It works fine like this. I tried all the tricks to get it to work (rebooting, using the extender, moving my router, batteries, ect.) nothing worked. I bought a new slide for the other tivo and this one works perfectly. I am currently on 20.2 as well
darock159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #66
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by darock159 View Post
I think it has something to do with the remote itself. The remote I bought shortly after they were released started doing this a couple months ago. It got so bad I disconnected the bluetooth dongle and am just using the slide in IR mode. It works fine like this. I tried all the tricks to get it to work (rebooting, using the extender, moving my router, batteries, ect.) nothing worked. I bought a new slide for the other tivo and this one works perfectly. I am currently on 20.2 as well
I can't rule out the remote as a problem. But these are the exact symptoms I used to never have, then was introduced with an update, then solved with 14.8. Plus, I am not getting any OTHER dropped commands from the remote. More "Hmmm...."
Old 05-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #67
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
I even rebooted the TiVo- no change. Unfortunately, it happens so sporadically that I can't catch a glimpse on the TiVo if the amber light is confirming it is received. But I can confirm that the blue light on the remote is lighting up every time, confirming I am SENDING the command to the Premiere.
Well, I worked extra hard on it tonight. It "glitched" about 50% of the time again. And I was able to confirm that the remote was sending the commands, but the TiVo was not recognizing them (no amber light). For example, I could press play 10 times trying to resume playback from fast forward (3xFF) and each time the blue light on the remote lit and no amber light on the TiVo but on the 11th time, the amber light flickered rapidly and then started playback. Symptoms really do not point to the remote being the cause.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #68
DaveWhittle

Quote:
Well, I worked extra hard on it tonight. It "glitched" about 50% of the time again.
I'm curious about this problem. I had the Slide remote last year, loved it, but the puppy destroyed it AND a Glow remote replacement. In fact, I've been using an old remote that came with the DirecTivo for the past year.

The puppy is now a dog and hasn't touched a remote in a long time, so I ordered a brand new Slide remote, arriving tomorrow. I'll report if I have any problems with this brand-new Slide remote (aside from canine-related problems).

Last edited by DaveWhittle : 05-03-2012 at 05:13 PM.
DaveWhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #69
mandms7

I suddenly started experiencing this problem since the previous update (pre-Comcast On Demand). I never had any problems with this prior to that update, and now almost every time I skip or fast forward through commercials the TiVo doesn't seem to be recognizing the commands until I press Play or Pause five times or so. Really frustrating.

Is it just a couple of us? There has to be a lot more Slide remote users out there - are you not experiencing this problem?
mandms7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #70
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandms7 View Post
I suddenly started experiencing this problem since the previous update (pre-Comcast On Demand). I never had any problems with this prior to that update, and now almost every time I skip or fast forward through commercials the TiVo doesn't seem to be recognizing the commands until I press Play or Pause five times or so. Really frustrating.

Is it just a couple of us? There has to be a lot more Slide remote users out there - are you not experiencing this problem?
So few people have responded, I was starting to think it really was just me. It really makes watching recording programs frustrating when it pulls the glitching/ignoring remote about 50% or more of the time
Old 05-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #71
avediswolf

Yup! Same issue here.

The remote worked great when I first got it for about a month, then started doing exact same thing as above.

Tried using the pigtail to move the dongle around, still bad.
Did have a wireless router close by, I completely unplugged it for a day, No luck.

I'm at the point I just unplug the dongle, and use it as IR, Kind of useless since I wanted this remove for the keyboard.
avediswolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #72
DaveWhittle

I got the new Slide remote on Friday from Amazon, replacing one that was destroyed last year.

At first it was acting strange, and when I tried to use the keyboard, I found that it was in IR mode only. I guess this is because I was trying to use the old BT dongle with the new remote and it wasn't paired? Once I plugged the new dongle + extension, it seems to be working great.

I love having the snappy remote again, and am having to adjust my commercial-skipping reflexes for the quicker response. But I didn't watch a lot of TV over the weekend, so I'll report if I notice anything different in the future.

So far I'm pleased with the new Slide and it's operating as I remember.
DaveWhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #73
drknapp

I've consistantly had this problem with my slide remote. I've even replaced it once. I end up having to push buttons real slow and wait to see if the Tivo is going to respond. Other wise I get a multitude of commands run when it finally decides to catch up. Other times it works just fine.
drknapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #74
PeteB

Quote:
So few people have responded, I was starting to think it really was just me. It really makes watching recording programs frustrating when it pulls the glitching/ignoring remote about 50% or more of the time
Same problem here.
Seems to help when I empty my deleted folder.
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #75
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by drknapp View Post
I've consistantly had this problem with my slide remote. I've even replaced it once. I end up having to push buttons real slow and wait to see if the Tivo is going to respond. Other wise I get a multitude of commands run when it finally decides to catch up. Other times it works just fine.
OK, I guess that is enough confirmation for me to believe it is the same old problem that has returned for some reason. I added it to the changelog thread as an "Unresolved" problem (from previous reports/software releases).

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=481338
Old 05-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #76
aaronwt
HD Addict

I've not seen any issues with my two BT remotes. Although only one of them is used with a box on 20.2.0a. The other one never updated to it.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #77
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I've not seen any issues with my two BT remotes. Although only one of them is used with a box on 20.2.0a. The other one never updated to it.
Not everyone had the issues, when the bug originally surfaced, either. Consider yourself lucky, because it really makes watching recorded video frustrating.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #78
TerpBE
Go Terps!

My slide remote used to glitch, but had been working great for months. Then the other day the Tivo decided to stop responding to it entirely (even though the remote LED was lighting). I took out the batteries and put them back in, which fixed the problem, but now it's "glitching" - missing button presses, and being slow to respond. This sucks...I was really liking the slide, and thought whatever issues I had had been worked out.
TerpBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #79
innocentfreak

My remote glitches occasionally, but usually it turns out the batteries are below 70%. It seems the Slide is super sensitive to low batteries.

Also I have found occasionally I have to resync the BT. The remote has been dropped and knocked off the table by my cats a bunch of times though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #80
werk

Mine glitches from time to time...drives my wife crazy.
werk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #81
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
My remote glitches occasionally, but usually it turns out the batteries are below 70%. It seems the Slide is super sensitive to low batteries.

Also I have found occasionally I have to resync the BT. The remote has been dropped and knocked off the table by my cats a bunch of times though.
This is why I use the Lithium batteries in mine. I had tried the rechargeable ones in my second BT remote, but after a full charge it only shows around 85% and every day I saw that percentage go lower and lower. So I put Lithium batteries in my second one as well. The first one has been using Lithium battteries since last fall and it is still showing 100%.

I use the Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA batteries. The last ones I purchased were around $1.25 each when I purchased eight. Most of my other devices use rechargeable batteries now but I still use the Lithium AAs in those TiVo BT remotes, my Thermostat, and I plan on using them in a Fitbit Aria scale(If BestBuy would ever ship it to me).
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #82
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:

1) I have never noticed any relationship to battery level and glitching or non glitching. Remember, we are talking about the TiVo ignoring keypresses- it is not a range problem and not a problem with the commands not being sent.

2) I have never had to resync the BT dongle- ever.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #83
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
This is why I use the Lithium batteries in mine. I had tried the rechargeable ones in my second BT remote, but after a full charge it only shows around 85% and every day I saw that percentage go lower and lower. So I put Lithium batteries in my second one as well. The first one has been using Lithium battteries since last fall and it is still showing 100%.
The original set of Alkaline batteries that were included with my Slide remote lasted almost A FULL YEAR, and that is with hours of daily use every single day. I was shocked.

In any case, these glitching problems are not due to batteries.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #84
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Problem still happening in 20.2.1.1
Old 05-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #85
innocentfreak

Quote:
1) I have never noticed any relationship to battery level and glitching or non glitching. Remember, we are talking about the TiVo ignoring keypresses- it is not a range problem and not a problem with the commands not being sent.

2) I have never had to resync the BT dongle- ever.
Right this is what happens to mine though when the batteries get low. It will miss key presses. When trying to search with the keyboard, it will double and triple key presses or miss 3 of the 4. Say for example my battery is low and I try to search for Fringe, I might end up with rriiigg on the screen.

I usually only seem to have to do it after updates or occasionally after a reboot. I can always tell because it will only work via direct line of sight.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:19 PM   #86
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Right this is what happens to mine though when the batteries get low. It will miss key presses. When trying to search with the keyboard, it will double and triple key presses or miss 3 of the 4. Say for example my battery is low and I try to search for Fringe, I might end up with rriiigg on the screen.

I usually only seem to have to do it after updates or occasionally after a reboot. I can always tell because it will only work via direct line of sight.
I think I just learned something new.... my batteries were at 77% after 5 months use or so.
I took the batteries out of the Slide and put the same ones back in, effectively resetting the Slide. Suddenly, all my glitching went away. I have tried removing/reinserting the dongle before, and even rebooting the TiVo, but never "rebooting" the remote.

Has anyone else noticed this as a "cure"? This could also explain why some people might believe it is due to low batteries- if just resetting it fixes the problem and that is part of replacing the batteries. Of course, it might ALSO do other interesting/similar things with low batteries. But in my case, I wouldn't consider 77% low (especially since I ran my first set of batteries all the way down to single digits, over a year, before needing to replace them).
Old 05-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #87
TerpBE
Go Terps!

Quote:
I think I just learned something new.... my batteries were at 77% after 5 months use or so.
I took the batteries out of the Slide and put the same ones back in, effectively resetting the Slide. Suddenly, all my glitching went away. I have tried removing/reinserting the dongle before, and even rebooting the TiVo, but never "rebooting" the remote.

Has anyone else noticed this as a "cure"? This could also explain why some people might believe it is due to low batteries- if just resetting it fixes the problem and that is part of replacing the batteries. Of course, it might ALSO do other interesting/similar things with low batteries. But in my case, I wouldn't consider 77% low (especially since I ran my first set of batteries all the way down to single digits, over a year, before needing to replace them).
Yes. My Tivo stopped responding to my slide remote entirely (even though the remote LED was working), so I took out the batteries and put them back in, and it started responding. But, it also started "glitching", which it hadn't done for many months. So I think removing the batteries temporarily resets something, which can be for the better or for the worse, depending on your situation.
TerpBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #88
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:

OK, I am convinced now. I went from glitching 50% of playback resume, all the time, for months, to 0% glitching for long enough to know it is fixed. Simply by removing and reinserting the same batteries.

This is the same problem that survived removal and reinsertion of the dongle, TiVo reboots, and even an entire TiVo software update. To me, this is definitive proof that the problem, whatever it is, is in the Slide Remote itself, not the TiVo.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #89
mxhonda

I have been living with this issue for about a month. My remote is 4 months old, fresh batteries, re-sync, dongle relocate and still the same result. My TiVo is in a closed cabinet so the IR is not an option for me.

It really takes away from the TiVo experience, sometimes I even sit thru the commercials so I don't have to deal with it...Maybe that was the plan
mxhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #90
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxhonda View Post
I have been living with this issue for about a month. My remote is 4 months old, fresh batteries, re-sync, dongle relocate and still the same result.
You might actually have a bad remote, poor signal, or interference of some type. I don't want to imply that ALL glitching can be solved with a simple remote reset (should be the first thing to try now), but I now believe the problems are not caused by the TiVo, itself.

In your case, I would recommend the following test: turn off any and all other 2.4 Ghz devices within 30 feet of your TiVo. This includes WiFi and BlueTooth devices and routers (and printers, laptops, tablets, WiFi dongles etc), cell phones, headsets, cordless telephones and their base units, wireless speakers, etc. Reset your remote, re-sync the dongle to it, and test again at close range and see if the problems disappear. If so, you have your answer and can turn things back on, one by one, until the offending device is located. If not, I suspect the remote is bad.