TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
astrohip
Stuart F

Southland renewed for Season Five (Feb 2013)

http://tvline.com/2012/05/04/tnt-sou...ewed-season-5/
Quote:
Good news, Southland fans: It looks like the stories of Officer Ben Sherman’s professional free-fall and Det. Lydia Adams’ journey to juggle motherhood and case work won’t wind up as unsolved mysteries: TNT has renewed the gritty (oftentimes harrowing) L.A.-set police drama for a 10-episode fifth season.

“Season after season, critics and fans alike have championed TNT’s Southland as one of television’s best dramas. This year, the show has not only solidified its impassioned fan base, but also picked up some new young-adult devotees along the way,” Michael Wright, president and head of programming for TNT, TBS, said in a statement.

Southland this past season averaged more than 2.9 million total viewers when factoring in Live+7 DVR playback, while its delivery of Adults 18-49 grew three percent from Season 3.

Season 5 will premiere in February 2013.

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
Rainy Dave
Regulated User

Woot! Love the show.
Rainy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Awesome. I just love this show.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Hooray!

- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
MikeMar
Go Pats

Just 10 eps??? Such an awesome show

MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #6
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
Seasons 3 & 4 were also 10 episodes.

- billypritchard
Old 05-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #7
snowjay
40mph couch potato

That's good news... but I don't want to wait that long.
snowjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #8
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
Well ok then I stand/sit corrected

MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #9
Ment

Can't believe its made it to S5..its gone by so fast.
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:35 PM   #10
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

kick ass

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:16 AM   #11
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
Quote:
Season 1 was only 7 episodes. Season 2 was pieced together from footage already filmed before NBC cancelled it; I don't know how many episodes had actually been scripted.

I too wish it would be longer than 10 episodes per season.
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #12
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDawg View Post
Season 1 was only 7 episodes. Season 2 was pieced together from footage already filmed before NBC cancelled it; I don't know how many episodes had actually been scripted.

I too wish it would be longer than 10 episodes per season.
I don’t, because when it a short and tight season the writers are force to something that very few of the writers seem to be able to do and that is write a story line.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #13
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjay View Post
That's good news... but I don't want to wait that long.
This right here.

I love this show.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #14
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
I don’t, because when it a short and tight season the writers are force to something that very few of the writers seem to be able to do and that is write a story line.
I don't think a 13 episode season would detract from that. 10 is just too short. Just as things are starting to get rolling, it's over.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #15
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Soap operas have c. 250 episodes per season, and they have story lines...
Old 05-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #16
nyny523
Oy

Yay!!!
Old 05-05-2012, 11:48 PM   #17
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Soap operas have c. 250 episodes per season, and they have story lines...
Rob, your comparing the writing of “Southland” to “General Hospital”. I am a fan of GH but GH is no “Southland”.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:49 AM   #18
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Rob, your comparing the writing of “Southland” to “General Hospital”. I am a fan of GH but GH is no “Southland”.
Of course not. But you were implying that shows with more than 10 episodes per season don't have story lines. Which is so silly, I just assume you meant something altogether different.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #19
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Shhhhhweeeet!
Old 05-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #20
RonDawg

Quote:
I was not impressed with the writing of the post-NBC episodes, especially this last season. I was disappointed that the writers started including typical cop-show cliches like overcompensating female cop (Jessica Tang) and former good cop takes law into his own hands (Ben Sherman). You could almost see their boredom as they got near the end of the season, and the season finale just didn't have the punch I expected.

While the pieced-together Season 2 didn't make any sense overall, at least the individual episodes had skilled writing. If it takes 13 or more episodes per season to get that kind of quality scripting from the writers, so be it.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #21
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Season 2 was not pieced together. They filmed 7 episodes for season 1 on NBC. NBC picked it up for a second season, filmed 6 episodes, then changed their mind. TNT picked it up and aired the 7 episodes of season 1 then the 6 episodes of season 2.

There was no piecing together of season 2 from unaired footage.

- billypritchard
Old 05-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #22
RonDawg

I believe Season 2 was pieced together, because if you look at the season as a whole, the storyline makes no sense. For example, Lydia's partner Rene Cordero: where did he come from, and more importantly where did he go? He was literally there one day, gone the next day. Or, what was the deal with the funeral that Cooper and Sherman drove all the way to Palm Springs for?

There may have been six completed episodes "in the can" upon cancellation, but I don't think these six episodes are consecutive. There seems to be a lot of missing material.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #23
Zevida
witless and unarmed

I think you've complained about stuff like that before and I think that is just part of the show. This is not a serialized drama. There are some minor character stories that might persist, but things happen in the show and they don't hold out hand or explain everything. Lydia had three partners in 6 episodes in season 2, there didn't need to be a ton of exposition about that.

Why did there have to be a "deal" with the funeral? They attended a funeral of an officer Cooper knew. What more is there?

There is zero evidence that season 2 was in any way unscripted, unplanned, out of sequence or cobbled together. I'm happy to rethink that if there's evidence to the contrary.

- billypritchard
Old 05-07-2012, 12:31 AM   #24
RonDawg

Quote:
I think you've complained about stuff like that before and I think that is just part of the show. This is not a serialized drama. There are some minor character stories that might persist, but things happen in the show and they don't hold out hand or explain everything. Lydia had three partners in 6 episodes in season 2, there didn't need to be a ton of exposition about that.

Why did there have to be a "deal" with the funeral? They attended a funeral of an officer Cooper knew. What more is there?

There is zero evidence that season 2 was in any way unscripted, unplanned, out of sequence or cobbled together. I'm happy to rethink that if there's evidence to the contrary.
Maybe because I've been to actual cop funerals but I picked up on things in that scene that perhaps nobody else did.

For one thing, there were relatively few cops in attendance. Normally, a line of duty death will attract hundreds, if not thousands, of police officers. So, the first thing on my mind was that this was NOT a line of duty death, but perhaps a suicide?

Then the supposed widow who spoke with John...she didn't seem nearly as upset as one of the deputies there, who was just about inconsolable. Now if he had just watched his partner die in front of him, I can see this. But, the clue I mentioned above seems to indicate this was not a line of duty death. So what did happen to that officer?

It seemed to me the funeral scene was part of a bigger plot that never got aired due to it being suddenly cancelled. For example, perhaps John had a sexual relationship with the deceased officer, and the inconsolable deputy was his current lover?

As far as Lydia's partners, given how Season 1 paid attention to the details of a typical good police partnership (between her and Russell), this new "revolving door" attitude in Season 2 towards Russell's replacements seems rather sloppy. Season 3 did a lot better job exploring Lydia's relationship with Det. Josie Ochoa, so I'm inclined to believe it's not sloppy writing.

As far as Southland not being a serialized drama, I disagree with you. Season 1 had a tight storyline from the opening scene when Sherman kills the gangbanger who tried to kill Dewey, to the very last scene when Russell had been shot by his neighbor when he tried to intervene in a domestic violence incident. There were no disconnected plot threads in that season.

Last edited by RonDawg : 05-07-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #25
Zevida
witless and unarmed

If you want to claim that season 2 was sloppy, that's a different, and better, argument than trying to say that it wasn't scripted or that it was pieced together.

I disagree but I'm not going to argue against it as that it your opinion. I'm just arguing against saying that the show wasn't scripted or that it was cobbled together from leftover film or something silly like that.

- billypritchard
Old 05-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #26
RonDawg

Based upon what I have seen for the seasons on either side of it, I would say that Season 2 was probably cobbled together. The writers' standards started to slip in Season 3, but at least that season's storyline made more sense.

But neither of us work in the movie industry, so my guess is just as valid as yours.