TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
mdartic

Angry FiOS cablecard nightmare on upgraded S3

Moved to a new location, FiOS came out and did the install (previous location was also FiOS). Worked on both my S3 and HD for about two weeks. Then I started noticing unbearable pixelation and sound dropouts on my S3. Went through every thread I could find (signal strength, attenuators, replacing coax).

Try as I might, I could NOT kickstart 54 my S3. So, as a last resort I decided since it was a 1TB drive to pull it and copy it via WINMFS to a 2TB drive.

Copy didn't work, "media inode errors" from the source drive, which seemed to confirm my hunch the drive was going. Grabbed the WINMFS image here on the forums for a fresh install.

ISSUE:
I cannot get my cablecards (either) paired from Verizon. After putting the new drive in and did a clear and delete (twice, per some people in that thread). I just get the blue acquiring channels spinwheel. I've had verizon try to pair them 4 different times with no success. Have confirmed they are not entering the cablecard ID as the S/N and other goofy things like that.

The tivo itself works: I can transfer HD shows from my HD and watching them, connect to the tivo service, etc. But both my cards just flip between WAIT_SYNC and WAIT_TUNE. No OOB Messages counting.

Any ideas? I'm at my wits end!
mdartic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
GoEagles

Not a FiOS expert, but I thought with FiOS the CableCards are just activated, not paired. So you put the CableCard in any TiVo box once Verizon activates it and not have any issues. Hopefully another member will chime with help, but I thought I read that about FioS and CableCards.
GoEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
tivohaydon

I'm not aware of a FIOS area that has paired cable cards.

I have two cable cards and can move them around. I migrated them from two TiVos and I'm only using one now in my HTPC. (Does the job of two TiVos.) But I can swap in either one and no problem.

The lack of an OOB lock is a problem though. I think that should be up regardless of the status of the cable cards. It sounds like you'll have to go through signal troubleshooting.
tivohaydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
pmiranda

Have you changed the power supply on that S3? It's probably due. When you have 5 minutes and a Torx 15 (I think) driver, pop the lid and look to see if any of the capacitors are bulging at all. If they're not all perfectly flat on top that could be your problem.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
mr.unnatural

You should be able to install the cablecards directly into the S3 without having to pair them. FIOS doesn't pair their cablecards with the device. If that doesn't work then call the toll-free number and refresh the cablecards using the phone menu.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivohaydon View Post
I'm not aware of a FIOS area that has paired cable cards.
For the record, the areas that Verizon sold to Frontier still call themselves "FiOS". And they do pair cards, and they block copying of all programs except locals.

I just switched back to Comcast, and it's a joy to once again be able to copy programs between boxes.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:42 AM   #7
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
For the record, the areas that Verizon sold to Frontier still call themselves "FiOS". And they do pair cards, and they block copying of all programs except locals.

I just switched back to Comcast, and it's a joy to once again be able to copy programs between boxes.
Yep. I ran into the above. Phantom Gremlin, I and a bunch of others had the displeasure of dealing w/the Frontier FiOS pairing and copy protection. (Well, it actually started while under Verizon control, before the handoff to Frontier. We thought it was an outage, but it turned out to be turning on CP w/o telling us when nobody had paired our cards, since it wasn't necessary before.)

I've moved to another state (from WA to CA) and there is no FiOS here. I'm on Comcrap, but at least there's no more CP crap on most channels.
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote