Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

American Idol - Top 5 Results - 05/03/2012

Joshua - Safe

Phillip and Hollie - Phillip is safe and Hollie is in the bottom two.

Skylar and Jessica - Jessica is safe and Skylar is in the bottom two

Person with the lowest votes is Skylar

Maui is very disappointed!

-----

A couple of side notes:

I can't believe they are already talking about Joshua recording for the record label. Even if it is true I think it is wrong to talk about it while the competition is still going on.

I believe that if all of the top 5 released CDs, Skylar would probably have the most commercial success.

If the top three tonight winds up being the final top three (meaning Hollie goes home next week) then I will not even bother to watch the last few weeks of shows (although I will be rooting for Jessica and will check the threads for opinions and results).

I am very scared that we are going to have, in my humble opinion, an undeserved all male finale.

Last edited by Maui : 05-03-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
Cainebj

ahhhhhhhhh you'll keep watching only mostly with your finger on the FF button. the last two weeks i've figured out i can pretty much skip the 2 hour show and then just watch what Jimmy Iovine has to say.

i dun't no how hollie has managed to stay in this thing.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
nyny523
Oy

And Hollie lives on yet again...

Well, as unpopular as it is here, I am hoping for a Joshua/Jessica final 2.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
ahhhhhhhhh you'll keep watching only mostly with your finger on the FF button. the last two weeks i've figured out i can pretty much skip the 2 hour show and then just watch what Jimmy Iovine has to say.

i dun't no how hollie has managed to stay in this thing.
Actually no I won't because that is how I currently watch. I mean it when I say I will not watch the last few weeks if that is the top three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
And Hollie lives on yet again...

At least you didn't say Phillip and Joshua. Phillip has never been in the bottom three. I fear a Scotty McCreery style run.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
At least you didn't say Phillip and Joshua.
I am not a Phillip fan. He is very cute, and he has had a couple of nice moments, but overall I find him a bit contrived. He ruined two really good songs last night (especially the Boxtops song, which I love).

Clearly he has been ill, which hasn't helped him any, but I still am very unimpressed.

I know some people here will now come in and shoot me. Oh well!
Old 05-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
I am amazed sometimes, Maui, how much your Idol posts reflect nearly exactly what I am thinking!

I was very disappointed that Skylar was going home, and as I watched her farewell performance and they showed shots of the remaining four, I was thinking that whole time that I have pretty much lost all interest in watching any further. Only Hollie holds any interest for me anymore, and with the way America's been voting, it would seem she goes home next.

I can't stand Joshua at all. If Phillip is as sick as Jimmy made it sound tonight, that might explain it, but to me it seems like he checked out weeks ago and just has no interest in being on anymore. That coupled with the fact that I don't really like his song stylings at all mean bleh-just not interested.

Jessica's got a good instrument, it just seems like the one playing it doesn't have the talent to play it, if that makes any sense. She amazes me sometimes, but she just plain bores me.

I didn't watch the performance show until tonight because I've found myself losing interest to the point of not making it a point to watch the same night. Even that interest is gone now.

Like with How I Met Your Mother, I will probably stick with it to the end, the whole time wondering why the hell I am.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #7
SNJpage1

Why they like Joshua and Phillip is beyond me. One screechs his songs and the other sounds the same no matter what he sings.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #8
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
I can't stand Joshua at all. If Phillip is as sick as Jimmy made it sound tonight, that might explain it, but to me it seems like he checked out weeks ago and just has no interest in being on anymore. That coupled with the fact that I don't really like his song stylings at all mean bleh-just not interested.
I did notice he was not in the Ford commercial again.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #9
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

I'm hoping the two girls make the finals.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:57 AM   #10
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

I didn't find Jessica's dress to be too racy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:22 AM   #11
snowjay
40mph couch potato

Quote:

Why? So the whole country can be put to sleep?

I don't get all the love for these two.
snowjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:26 AM   #12
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieleej View Post
But people in middle America are suppose to be prudes.
In that case I am outraged.

My blog:
Old 05-04-2012, 06:47 AM   #13
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

IMO, the bottom two were the top two on performances Wednesday, so WTF do I know about who's going to win. No doubt it's a guy, even though I would have had both of them up for elimination last night.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:04 AM   #14
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
I am not a Phillip fan. He is very cute, and he has had a couple of nice moments, but overall I find him a bit contrived. He ruined two really good songs last night (especially the Boxtops song, which I love).

Clearly he has been ill, which hasn't helped him any, but I still am very unimpressed.

I know some people here will now come in and shoot me. Oh well!

Obviously I'm happy Phillip stayed. I know everyone thinks he sounds the same every week but that's because he's solid in his own skin and style and doesn't plan to change it (even if that were possible which I'm certain it's not). I don't think there's anything wrong with that but I do get why that would make him unpopular with many people on a show like this. And I think his laid back personality is often times confused with him "mailing it in", which I also don't believe he does.

Anyhow, I think Skylar got a raw deal. I was really starting to think it might be her and Phillip in the finale. I honestly DO NOT want Phillip to win so he can go home any week now and I'll be thrilled with how far he's come. The only problem with that after this week is the remaining are in NO WAY capable of inspiring me to vote or buy their music. I can't see how any of them can make a sell out Idol like Kelly or Carrie.

Oh well. Another season close to over and I can have 3 hours of my week back.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #15
2004raptor

really surprised Skylar went home. I thought she did good enough on performance night to stay. i thought Hollie did great.

They might as well just go ahead and give it to Joshua.
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #16
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Phil is the only male performer left who represents mainstream rock, so he has a huge built-in audience from that alone, plus girls think he's pretty which can't hurt. He can afford to be a little stubborn.

That said, the LA Times has a poll that includes AI and The Voice contestants, "Vote for your favorite performance of the week":
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/show...fth-place.html

For Idol, its:
Skylar Laine, "American Idol" 5.15%
Phillip Phillips, "American Idol" 9.07%
Hollie Cavanagh, "American Idol" 13.91%
Josh Ledet, "American Idol" 15.73%
Jessica Sanchez, "American Idol" 25.93%

[AI's contestants got significantly more votes than contestants on The Voice.]

Most other web polls suggest that it's very bad news for Phil, but that obviously isn't true for the show results.

My blog:
Old 05-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #17
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
Phil is the only male performer left who represents mainstream rock, so he has a huge built-in audience from that alone, plus girls think he's pretty which can't hurt. He can afford to be a little stubborn.

That said, the LA Times has a poll that includes AI and The Voice contestants, "Vote for your favorite performance of the week":
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/show...fth-place.html

For Idol, its:
Skylar Laine, "American Idol" 5.15%
Phillip Phillips, "American Idol" 9.07%
Hollie Cavanagh, "American Idol" 13.91%
Josh Ledet, "American Idol" 15.73%
Jessica Sanchez, "American Idol" 25.93%

[AI's contestants got significantly more votes than contestants on The Voice.]

Most other web polls suggest that it's very bad news for Phil, but that obviously isn't true for the show results.
Teenage girls are not surfing the LA Times website to take the polls.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #18
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Hahaha!
Quote:
First, Joshua Ledet was “one of the top two best Idols of all time,” which is going to sound really silly if he doesn’t make the finals. Half an hour later, one singer was “one of the best singers [J. Lo's] heard in 50 years,” which is both impossible–even if J. Lo were 50, she’d never admit to it–and utterly ridiculous. This is what happens when you make your baseline criticism “a’ight” and your baseline mild praise “in it to win it” or “goosies.” It’s like grading on a thousand-point curve. At this rate of inflation, next week they’ll say someone’s going to be the reason God gave humans vocal cords. The week after that, she’ll be so good God realized he screwed up the first couple billion sets. By the finale, she will in fact be God, and the winner’s ceremony will actually be the Rapture.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #19
tiams

Quote:
I wouldn't have found it too racy for an adult, but for a 16 year old girl it was way too tight and too short.

I'm going to miss watching Skylar's performances. She was the only one that was fun to watch!

Phil is boring me. Every song sounds the same, and his clothes could not be more sad. Unfitted, unbuttoned, drab shirt over dark boring t- shirt.

If it is true that teenage girls are the majority of the voters, Phil wins this.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #20
David Platt
Manually-adjusted

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
You and I have been on exactly the same page all season. It makes me happy that there's at least one more Joshua supporter here.

Quote:
At least you didn't say Phillip and Joshua. Phillip has never been in the bottom three. I fear a Scotty McCreery style run.
Yeah, that's what I'm getting afraid of too. If he wasn't in the bottom two last night, I think it's pretty much sealed that he never will be and he'll take the whole thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieleej View Post
But people in middle America are suppose to be prudes.
Yeah, could JLo have been any more condescending?
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #21
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Just to show how biased J-Lo is, watch Hollie's first performance.

Usually when one judge gives a standing ovation they all give a standing ovation. For Hollie's performance, Randy and Steven stood up and J-Lo stayed firmaly planted in her chair.

I would be surprised if she gives a standing ovation to anyone but Joshua for the rest of the season. The standing ovations for Joshua happen so often that they have lost their meaning.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #22
tiams

Quote:
Just to show how biased J-Lo is, watch Hollie's first performance.

Usually when one judge gives a standing ovation they all give a standing ovation. For Hollie's performance, Randy and Steven stood up and J-Lo stayed firmaly planted in her chair.

I would be surprised if she gives a standing ovation to anyone but Joshua for the rest of the season. The standing ovations for Joshua happen so often that they have lost their meaning.
I mentioned in the performance thread how J-Lo sat there while RAndy and Steven gave Hollie a standing O. She also looked like she was tugging Randy's sleeve trying to get him to sit back down.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #23
kettledrum

Quote:
I didn't even think twice about it until they mentioned it on the results show last night.
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #24
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettledrum View Post
I didn't even think twice about it until they mentioned it on the results show last night.
Neither did I.

She is a teeny, tiny girl. She has been wearing short, tight outfits with high heels the entire competition. She has the figure for it. I personally don't love her style (Hollie's style has been consistently the best throughout the competition), but it works for her. Plus, they are costumes.

I think they are grabbing at straws. The biggest problem Jessica has is her stage presence. She has a beautiful voice, but she does not know how to move. Everything she does seems awkward and gangly. Someone needs to get this girl some dance lessons...
Old 05-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #25
Jebberwocky!

actually my first thought when Jessica came onstage was that the dress was a little too mature for a 16 yo.

I am officially an old fart
Jebberwocky! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #26
Johnny Dancing
Closet Rebel

The Judges said this is the best top x ever. I am pretty sure they say that every year. I have no horse in this race to root for so now I just root against Joshua.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #27
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

I miss Simon.

My blog:
Old 05-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #28
tem

Quote:
Neither did I.

She is a teeny, tiny girl. She has been wearing short, tight outfits with high heels the entire competition. She has the figure for it. I personally don't love her style (Hollie's style has been consistently the best throughout the competition), but it works for her. Plus, they are costumes.

I think they are grabbing at straws. The biggest problem Jessica has is her stage presence. She has a beautiful voice, but she does not know how to move. Everything she does seems awkward and gangly. Someone needs to get this girl some dance lessons...
'figure' ? She has no figure. She's like 85 pounds soaking wet. I do think they are dressing her a bit beyond her years. The 4-5" heels every week make her look like she's playing dress-up.

Neither her nor Holly, however, have any stage presence and I really think it comes down to them both being teeny, tiny little girls. Skylar is at least a bit older (ie legal !) and knew how to look natural.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #29
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
'figure' ? She has no figure. She's like 85 pounds soaking wet. I do think they are dressing her a bit beyond her years. The 4-5" heels every week make her look like she's playing dress-up.

Neither her nor Holly, however, have any stage presence and I really think it comes down to them both being teeny, tiny little girls. Skylar is at least a bit older (ie legal !) and knew how to look natural.
If I am not mistaken both Hollie and Skylar are 18 and Jessica is 16.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:04 PM   #30
2004raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebberwocky! View Post
actually my first thought when Jessica came onstage was that the dress was a little too mature for a 16 yo.
I agree. It was too short and too tight. She has wore short and tight before but not to that extreme.
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote