TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-03-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
ReidWings

WinMFS - Can't see blank drive but saw Tivo drive fine

I have a tivo series 3 (original series 3) with the stock HD in it, which seems to have failed. I had previously backed it up and tried putting in 1 TB drive, which I was able to do successfully a few months ago, but ended up switching back to the original drive as the 1TB drive was too loud. I have since returned that 1TB drive.

Now, my stock hard drive is dead - the TiVo kept giving me green screens saying their was a problem and it was trying to fix itself, and now it won't boot past Welcome - Powering Up.

So, I'm trying to use my backup image and try a new hard drive to see if this is the problem. However, I can't seem to get winmfs to recognize the new drive.

My setup is as follows:
-Macbook Pro booted in Windows 7 in bootcamp
-USB to SATA adapter
-Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA hard drive (Also tried a WD Green 500GB SATA)

I open winmfs as administrator but am not able to see the drive to mount it and restore my backup. However, I am able to see in the control panel that the drive is attached and recognized by the computer. If I boot back into Mac OS X, the drive is seen (but unformatted). This is the case for both of the blank drives I tried.

Strangely, when I connect my nearly dead TiVo stock hard drive (a WD 250gb) it is still recognized by Winmfs (but unable to backup again as the HD is corrupt).

Any thoughts on why I can't get the new drive to mount? I have tried rebooting numerous times, checking "Show Mounted Drive" and nothing seems to help.

I appreciate any tips - I'm hoping to rescue my TiVo soon!

Thanks
ReidWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:37 AM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Have you done anything to the new drive such as initialize, format? It should not be recognized by your system except for WinMFS (as administrator).

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:47 AM   #3
ReidWings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Have you done anything to the new drive such as initialize, format? It should not be recognized by your system except for WinMFS (as administrator).

Nope, I hadn't done anything to format the drive. Literally took it home from Best Buy, took it out of the box, connected it to my computer while running WinMFS as admin, and it wouldn't see it.

Interestingly, I was able to take my old backup file and restore it to my stock TiVo drive which was failing. This has seemed to give my TiVo a second wind, as now it is running fine. This must have written over any corrupt code on the HD, but I'd still like to fix this so I can put it a new/bigger drive before this thing fails again!
Old 05-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReidWings View Post
Nope, I hadn't done anything to format the drive. Literally took it home from Best Buy, took it out of the box, connected it to my computer while running WinMFS as admin, and it wouldn't see it.

Interestingly, I was able to take my old backup file and restore it to my stock TiVo drive which was failing. This has seemed to give my TiVo a second wind, as now it is running fine. This must have written over any corrupt code on the HD, but I'd still like to fix this so I can put it a new/bigger drive before this thing fails again!
Click the mark on the right bottom of WinMFS (show mounted drives) and see if the drive shows up. If it does it did have a format on it for some reason and that format can be erased with WinMFS and the drive can than be used for TiVo.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
ReidWings

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Click the mark on the right bottom of WinMFS (show mounted drives) and see if the drive shows up. If it does it did have a format on it for some reason and that format can be erased with WinMFS and the drive can than be used for TiVo.
I had tried that, it did not see the drive. Any other thoughts? Again, windows can see that the drive is attached and I know the cable works, because it works with the stock TiVo drive.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
mr.unnatural

I've had problems getting WinMFS to see drives connected with USB adapters. The only solution I found was to connect it internally to a PC and then WinMFS had no problem detecting it.

Laptops and MacBooks pretty much suck for these types of scenarios. Your best bet would be to see if someone will let you connect your drives to a PC and install WinMFS.
mr.unnatural is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReidWings View Post
I had tried that, it did not see the drive. Any other thoughts? Again, windows can see that the drive is attached and I know the cable works, because it works with the stock TiVo drive.
Try doing a Windows partition than format, see that you can moves files to this drive, if all is OK than run WinMFS and check the mounted drives box, it sure should see the drive now, if it does have the program erase the drive than put the TiVo image on it.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
tspalgpf

Hello ReidWings -

I was just recently having the exact same problem. When plugging in the drive using a USB->SATA adapter on a Windows 7 laptop, WinMFS could see my stock 160gb Tivo Series 3 drive, but not my replacement 1tb Seagate drive. The linux based MFSTools from command line were no better.

I finally resorted to using the MFSLive Boot CD ISO. This finally worked. The MFS commands were able to see the Tivo partitions, and maximize the disk space. For convenience, I used a virtual machine to boot it up.

One other note: the 1tb Seagate Sata HD I am using is giving me the GSOD after just two weeks. Probably should have gotten a WD.

Last edited by tspalgpf : 01-12-2013 at 02:21 PM. Reason: follow-up
tspalgpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:27 PM   #9
unitron

Hey OP, the TiVo model you have is one of the one's subject to power supply "capacitor plague" and you need to learn about that and eyeball the power supply caps very closely as long as you've got the lid off.

Flaky power supplies can cause all sorts of weird symptoms, like maybe screwing up the original drive in the first place.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote