TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
Bighouse
200 Club Member

MANY Wrong Program Guide Items List New as "First Aired:"

I'm getting a weird error on a lot of program guide items.

Brand new, unaired shows which are in the guide are showing as old shows. For instance, tonight's "Big Bang Theory", which is a brand new episode that will be showing TONIGHT on 5/3/12 has this in its description: "...First Aired: 5/2/12"

It typically shows "First Aired:" item as having aired the day before it premiers...this can't be right.

And, I'm not getting the "NEW" orange box in the program guide or list for a lot of shows. Aboslutely nothing on the networks is showing as "NEW" tonight.

Is this a known bug, hopefully to be addressed in the "spring update"?
Old 05-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
mrizzo80

Both issues are known bugs.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #3
rainwater

Neither of those bugs affect recordings. They are just display bugs.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
djdanska

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Neither of those bugs affect recordings. They are just display bugs.
Except that my tivo won't record any new shows if its like that. (Big bang theory being a big one). I have to set it to repeats too and then it will.
djdanska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #5
Bighouse
200 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdanska View Post
Except that my tivo won't record any new shows if its like that. (Big bang theory being a big one). I have to set it to repeats too and then it will.
hmmmm...that may be why my TIvo simply would not record Desperate Housewives the other night.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #6
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdanska View Post
What do you mean? I have not had any issue with Big Bang Theory. Like has been stated before, these do not affect how TiVo decides to record something.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:35 AM   #7
CapnSensible

I have a similar issue with Top Gear. The shows are shown as new on Mondays at 8:30, but my season pass doesn't pick them up as new. Since I didn't want to be inundated with the old shows (BBCA runs old Top Gear shows 20-30 times a week!), I couldn't adjust my season pass to record new and repeated shows. I've been having to record the show manually.

I think this issues stems from the Aired Date being set to the date the show originally aired in the UK, not the date it first aired on BBCA. However, the Monday at 8:30 show gets the "New" orange box.
CapnSensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:18 AM   #8
Bighouse
200 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnSensible View Post
I have a similar issue with Top Gear....
I think this issues stems from the Aired Date being set to the date the show originally aired in the UK, not the date it first aired on BBCA. However, the Monday at 8:30 show gets the "New" orange box.
This might explain it for Top Gear, but do major network shows like Big Bang Theory actually air the day before their USA premiere over in the UK on BBCA???

I assumed since they're American produced shows that we would receive them first?!
Old 05-05-2012, 07:21 AM   #9
Bighouse
200 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
Both issues are known bugs.
Hey, are you the same mrizzo who's a former hiDef Junkie moderator and active in the AVS forums???
Old 05-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #10
mrizzo80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighouse View Post
Hey, are you the same mrizzo who's a former hiDef Junkie moderator and active in the AVS forums???
Nope. I read AVS a lot but am not a member.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #11
jrtroo
User

The NEW indicator is a flag, and I've seen no evidence that its used in season passes. any given day I'll see it on/off/on again any number of shows, while my season passes all record as perscribed. So, it is an interesting concept but is, at best, directional and not completely accurate.

If the tivo "missed" a recording, check the recording history. More often then not, it has a legitimate reason listed there. The only one that i have heard of that is sketchy from time to time is one related to signal strength.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #12
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Lets just say for the sake of argument that when The Tivo displays the OAD as 5/2/12 rather than 5/3/12, and it's not just a display issue but that the Tivo believes the OAD to be 5/2. On 5/3 when the program airs, your Tivo will still record it (barring any conflicts) because it's considered first run for 28 days after the OAD.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #13
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Lets just say for the sake of argument that when The Tivo displays the OAD as 5/2/12 rather than 5/3/12, and it's not just a display issue but that the Tivo believes the OAD to be 5/2. On 5/3 when the program airs, your Tivo will still record it (barring any conflicts) because it's considered first run for 28 days after the OAD.
Yeah, it wouldn't make a difference really. OAD are displayed wrong but it is almost a 100% chance it is just a display bug because I highly doubt TiVo manipulates date stamps from Tribunes guide data except when they are displaying it. Like most date/time stamps, Tribune will send it with GMT+0 so there is never any real issue with using them but somehow TiVo is screwing up the conversion to the local time zone.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #14
Bighouse
200 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Yeah, it wouldn't make a difference really. OAD are displayed wrong but it is almost a 100% chance it is just a display bug because I highly doubt TiVo manipulates date stamps from Tribunes guide data except when they are displaying it. Like most date/time stamps, Tribune will send it with GMT+0 so there is never any real issue with using them but somehow TiVo is screwing up the conversion to the local time zone.
Is this something that TiVo can fix?
Old 05-06-2012, 09:00 AM   #15
lujan

I have reported this to TiVo for months and they just keep telling me that it will be fixed. It could be tomorrow or next year, who knows? It hasn't affected any of my recordings though and I do record NEW showings of "The Big Bang Theory".
6 DVD
lujan is offline   Reply With Quote