Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #151
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Instead of worrying about spoilers so much, people should be concerned with posters who act like they've never read the books when it's pretty obvious they have.
Why would someone do that?
Old 05-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #152
Aniketos

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
Why would someone do that?
Because they want others to think they're smart. I really don't get it. It was a real big problem on the TWOP forums last season (I haven't checked this season, that part of it soured me) but of course pointing out things that are obviously someone that's read the book basically spoils it for newbies, so they're all unwittingly tainted.

Discussion might be difficult, but I'm a big fan of the AVClub. And they have a newbie review http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-g...newbies,72795/ and the comments are pretty good. (as in "experts" are yelled at) I enjoy reading the comments cause I love to see what you guys pick up on and your theories.

Hell, even the expert thread (written by Todd VanDerWerff, whom I consider to be the best critic) http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-g...experts,72794/ doesn't have spoilers in it until the very end. But obviously, I'd stay out of the comment section.
Aniketos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #153
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniketos View Post
Because they want others to think they're smart.
Well that's just ridiculous. Part of the fun of NOT reading the books for me and talking on here is to see just how much of it I can grasp the first run versus how much of it I have to go find on the HBO site. A lot of times, I'll know what I'm talking about but can't remember names or places so that site is awesome.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #154
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioscience
I'm more concerned with people posting to complain that others are using the forum properly by using the spoiler tag, when they themselves have not even posted to said thread and have not added to the discussion. They've only posted to complain, clog up the thread and derail the fun discussion that is at hand and that others are clearly using and enjoying.
Right. Cause we should all shut up and play by your rules. Got it. Your enjoyment important. Mine not.

And thank you for telling us that you have to post to use this forum. Again. Your rules.

Fact is, by the time I see the episode, there are usually 6 or more pages of posts and I like reading them. If they were about the SHOW.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #155
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Right. Cause we should all shut up and play by your rules. Got it. Your enjoyment important. Mine not.

And thank you for telling us that you have to post to use this forum. Again. Your rules.

Fact is, by the time I see the episode, there are usually 6 or more pages of posts and I like reading them. If they were about the SHOW.

Not his rules. It's the forum rules. Information from outside of the show is allowed, but must be included in spoiler tags. If anyone is trying to make up their own rules it would be you. It's really not that hard to skim past spoiler tagged posts. Most people obey the rules and spoiler tag anything that needs to be. There are a few cases were people post stuff that technically should be spoiler tagged but don't really bother anyone but the spoiler nazis. I don't really see that it hurts anyone much, but it is a violation, so you'd be right to call out specific cases like that if you want. Cases of actual, legitimate spoilers are actually pretty rare here.

So to reiterate, the forum rules are already established. Don't try to rewrite them unless you want this thread to be 6 pages of arguing about the rules.
LordKronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #156
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Is your nickname Dolorous Tony?
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:17 AM   #157
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
So Arya will ask him to kill himself?
No, he will get killed shortly after he gets #2, perhaps by #2 or perhaps by someone defending #2. Remember the Red god only wants 3 lives, no where is it said that one of them can't be Jaqen (who was one of the lives "Saved" by Arya). This could be the Westeros version of "Final Destination".
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:39 AM   #158
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniketos View Post
Because they want others to think they're smart. I really don't get it. It was a real big problem on the TWOP forums last season (I haven't checked this season, that part of it soured me) but of course pointing out things that are obviously someone that's read the book basically spoils it for newbies, so they're all unwittingly tainted.
argh...I'm dying to know who you think is doing that but, as you say, that would be a spoiler since we would know that what they theorize is true!

tell me...no...don't tell me...argh!
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #159
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
argh...I'm dying to know who you think is doing that but, as you say, that would be a spoiler since we would know that what they theorize is true!

I kind of want to know so I can skip past their posts.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:32 AM   #160
Ereth

Well, I certainly hope he didn't mean me. Yes, I've read the books (not memorized them). But I look forward to the show as the best show I will see all week. When it's over I want to talk about it. And I come here and mostly bite my tongue, but enjoy reading what other people are saying. It's fun. Sometimes people will ask questions about events that happened in the show, but perhaps don't have enough background. I think those are fair game, if they don't reveal what's going to happen.

There's a tremendous amount of background in the books that the TV show simply doesn't have time to reveal. How Theon became a ward of the Starks for instance, or why Harrenhall is melted.

I think that, for the most part, the book readers are here because they love the material, and want to participate, and I think they've been very respectful of those who haven't read the books. Perhaps there's been some slipups from time to time, but mostly honest accidents. It's not like someone was running around in the season one thread letting everyone know that Ned was going to die by the end of the season, right?

Is there someone making predictions so they can say "see, I told you so"? I haven't seen that.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #161
tiams

When people post "background" or extra information from the books that hasn't been shown on TV, they don't know that the TV show isn't going to show us that in it's own time and fashion. I would like to enjoy the TV show as the artists who are creating it intend.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #162
Shaunnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
Well, I certainly hope he didn't mean me. Yes, I've read the books (not memorized them). But I look forward to the show as the best show I will see all week. When it's over I want to talk about it. And I come here and mostly bite my tongue, but enjoy reading what other people are saying. It's fun. Sometimes people will ask questions about events that happened in the show, but perhaps don't have enough background. I think those are fair game, if they don't reveal what's going to happen.

There's a tremendous amount of background in the books that the TV show simply doesn't have time to reveal. How Theon became a ward of the Starks for instance, or why Harrenhall is melted.

I think that, for the most part, the book readers are here because they love the material, and want to participate, and I think they've been very respectful of those who haven't read the books. Perhaps there's been some slipups from time to time, but mostly honest accidents. It's not like someone was running around in the season one thread letting everyone know that Ned was going to die by the end of the season, right?

Is there someone making predictions so they can say "see, I told you so"? I haven't seen that.
He didn't mean you. I cannot recall off the top of my head who it was or which episode thread, but there has been at least one time this season and once last season where someone's "prediction" was too detailed and on the nose to be pure speculation. I too suspected like cherry ghost that at those times someone was playing coy with what they really knew.
Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #163
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunnick View Post
He didn't mean you. I cannot recall off the top of my head who it was or which episode thread, but there has been at least one time this season and once last season where someone's "prediction" was too detailed and on the nose to be pure speculation. I too suspected like cherry ghost that at those times someone was playing coy with what they really knew.
now we're getting somewhere...what was the prediction (assuming it already happened, of course!)?
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #164
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
Well, I certainly hope he didn't mean me.
absolutely not

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
When people post "background" or extra information from the books that hasn't been shown on TV, they don't know that the TV show isn't going to show us that in it's own time and fashion. I would like to enjoy the TV show as the artists who are creating it intend.
I sort of agree with this, and it's why most of my posts are tagged as spoilers and only in response to non-readers questions or posts by readers that are tagged properly as spoilers but contain wrong/misremembered info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunnick View Post
I didn't read the books until after season 1, so I'm not aware if it happened last year, but there have been instances this year in a previous thread(s).
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #165
Tracy
Truly

When we are only given a part of the story on TV (due to time restrictions, etc.) I have always liked it when the book readers come in and help us to understand by filling in a bit more of the backstory. I really don't see the issue with that, if they put them in spoiler tags.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #166
Flop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Why inconvenience every person who either reads on their phone or subscribes to threads and gets email notifications?
Every other post is a spoiler in these threads and it is inconsiderate.
You are speaking as if everyone who uses a phone or e-mail notifications is upset about spoilers. There are many people that don't care about spoilers. So essentially what you are suggesting is that in order to not inconvenience your use of a phone and e-mail, the people discussing how a book relates to a particular episode must inconvenience themselves by maintaining two separate threads for each episode.

If they properly enclose the information within spoiler tags, it is not their fault your phone or the e-mail notification system don't handle them properly.

As for my opinion, I don't mind the book talk as long as it's contained in spoiler tags if it refers to something that has not occurred yet in the series. Discussing minor difference between the show and the books for the same events is interesting to see how the writers adapted the source material to a TV series. Also, many times the book readers can provide context or more detailed information regarding something in the show.
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #167
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
When we are only given a part of the story on TV (due to time restrictions, etc.) I have always liked it when the book readers come in and help us to understand by filling in a bit more of the backstory. I really don't see the issue with that, if they put them in spoiler tags.
The problem is, when a book reader takes it upon themselves to add non-tv stuff, they have no way of knowing that it will not eventually be shown in-show. And this has happened frequently without spoiler tags. I don't have any problem understanding the show on my own. Neither do the millions of other people who watch the show and don't read this thread.
Plus, some people will want to read the books after the show is over and would prefer for the books not to be spoiled.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #168
Tracy
Truly

So it sounds like asking the book readers to be more vigilant with the spoiler tags will help this issue. Then the non-book readers can decide whether to look or not. And people with phones that don't support spoiler tags know not to check this thread that way.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #169
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
So it sounds like asking the book readers to be more vigilant with the spoiler tags will help this issue. Then the non-book readers can decide whether to look or not. And people with phones that don't support spoiler tags know not to check this thread that way.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #170
JETarpon

And people who have email updates for their subscription should turn those off. These threads are high traffic enough, that I think that would be an email nightmare anyway.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #171
Aniketos

Quote:

Don't worry, I haven't noticed it on our threads. I think since we're a smaller community, it's more personal and people are less likely to do it.

It was BLATANT on the TWOP newbie thread last year when after 1-2 episodes people were making "guesses" that were way too complicated to extrapolate with such little data.

You're good here!
Aniketos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #172
markb

I just find it annoying when I come to read new posts in the thread, and everything is in spoiler tags. I haven't had a problem with being inadvertently spoiled. I don't mind the posts that give background from the books, like what Ereth mentioned, even when that's not in spoiler tags.

But I consider the book discussion that's been going on in these threads in spoiler tags to be off topic, and IMO it should be taken to another thread. Maybe this debate about spoilers should be taken to another thread, too!
markb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #173
goblue97
Hoke-amania

Reading these threads sometimes can be like watching a movie with someone that's already seen it. Even though they may not be telling you specifics, they are dropping hints or telling you when a "good" part is coming up. Hasn't everyone experienced this before? That can get annoying.
goblue97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #174
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue97 View Post
Reading these threads sometimes can be like watching a movie with someone that's already seen it. Even though they may not be telling you specifics, they are dropping hints or telling you when a "good" part is coming up. Hasn't everyone experienced this before? That can get annoying.
I agree. Statements like "You guys won't believe what's coming next" are problematic. People should keep those posts out.

Otherwise I think book readers can use spoiler tags. For info that was in the books but not in the show, but we are also past that event in the show, I think book readers don't need spoilers.

Example, in the book when Renly is killed with Brienne and Catelyn in the tent, he is wearing armor and gets his throat cut. That shouldn't need spoiler tags.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #175
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue97 View Post
Or when they say "there is more to X than meets the eye" or "I want to point out that X" or "pay attention to X", or "X is some important information that explains something that hasn't been shown in the show YET" or "there is an important reason for that".
Old 05-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #176
mostman

How about this. I'm a book reader. I'm offering to explain anything anyone is confused about. Instead of asking here - PM me and I'll answer you there. Your question gets answered and these threads stay clean.
mostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #177
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Oh hell. I thought the book thread was in happy hour. I just clicked it by accident. I don't think I read anything important though. phew.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #178
Rickvz
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostman
How about this. I'm a book reader. I'm offering to explain anything anyone is confused about. Instead of asking here - PM me and I'll answer you there. Your question gets answered and these threads stay clean.
If you are interested, I started a thread to discuss season 2 and book 2 since the other thread allowing book discussion is avoided by those who haven't read all the books.
Rickvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #179
Rickvz
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl
Oh hell. I thought the book thread was in happy hour. I just clicked it by accident. I don't think I read anything important though. phew.
The book thread in Happy Hour is the original one opened last season which includes posts about all the books. I suspect you clicked on the one I started to discuss just this season and the book it is based on. The idea is to allow "book talk" but only as it related to what has been seen in the show with the use of spoiler tags to discuss upcoming events.
Rickvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #180
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Yeah I know that now.
It's my own fault for getting click happy and not paying attention.