TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #541
mjsmith3

Seems that way. Would like to know a way out of the loop without restoring the image
mjsmith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:00 AM   #542
tootal2

I would just restore the image. It will not take long to remake your season passes.

My tivo says it will run out of program info in 3 days. Think i will get that ceton cable card tuner for my desktop computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsmith3 View Post
Seems that way. Would like to know a way out of the loop without restoring the image

tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #543
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
I would just restore the image. It will not take long to remake your season passes.

My tivo says it will run out of program info in 3 days. Think i will get that ceton cable card tuner for my desktop computer.
Have you tried to leave the TA off for an extended period to see if GC will update??
WO312 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #544
tootal2

yep have to do that everyweek. tivo should fix this problem. but i guess they dont care about the tivo hd users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
Have you tried to leave the TA off for an extended period to see if GC will update??

Old 03-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #545
ravingfans

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsmith3 View Post
You can modify fakecall.tcl to get out of the loop. I've been trying to remember where I put my modified version to help you, but must have lost it several reboots ago. I'll keep digging or if you check on the forums you might be able to find it quicker.
ravingfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #546
Bob723

My family room TiVo had been giving me the "program info will run out" message on a routine basis. So a few weeks ago I purchased an external hard drive to attach to my bedroom TiVo which has never had this problem. My intent was to record the same programs in the bedroom as in the family room to make sure I didn't miss something. Ever since I purchased the hard drive, the family room has been updating as it is supposed to. I'm happy about that and I don't mind the extra storage on the other TiVo but... does anyone have an idea as to why it is working now? I have not changed anything in the family room. I did have the TA on a timer for a while but that made things worse so I removed it - I kept getting the pink screen of death. My cable provider is Charter. Do you think they changed something? One weekend both TAs were down and it was due to a Charter issue - it has been since then that both have been working fine.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:53 AM   #547
tootal2

You wont mess any programs. It still has 2 weeks of guide info even if says it has less then 7 days. I just unplug my tuning adapter 1 time a week for about 4 hours.

also permanently delete everything in the recently deleted folder. it seems to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob723 View Post
My family room TiVo had been giving me the "program info will run out" message on a routine basis. So a few weeks ago I purchased an external hard drive to attach to my bedroom TiVo which has never had this problem. My intent was to record the same programs in the bedroom as in the family room to make sure I didn't miss something. Ever since I purchased the hard drive, the family room has been updating as it is supposed to. I'm happy about that and I don't mind the extra storage on the other TiVo but... does anyone have an idea as to why it is working now? I have not changed anything in the family room. I did have the TA on a timer for a while but that made things worse so I removed it - I kept getting the pink screen of death. My cable provider is Charter. Do you think they changed something? One weekend both TAs were down and it was due to a Charter issue - it has been since then that both have been working fine.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #548
Icarus

I have an S3, TWC, Cisco TA.

I've always just rebooted when I saw the annoying running out of guide data and that's served me well up until now. Now I've got S03. Reboot, KS57, etc, none of that did anything of course, then I found this thread.

I've unplugged the Cisco TA and disconnected the wireless adaptor. Indexing advanced to now. I'm waiting to see if GC will advance as well. It's still saying Feb 27, but I haven't been disconnected for very long yet.

If GC advances, what's the next step? Try to connect? Restart?

If I got this right, I think it's just connect at that point, since S03 was caused (indirectly maybe) by GC failing, is that correct?

Thanks,
David
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #549
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
I have an S3, TWC, Cisco TA.

I've always just rebooted when I saw the annoying running out of guide data and that's served me well up until now. Now I've got S03. Reboot, KS57, etc, none of that did anything of course, then I found this thread.

I've unplugged the Cisco TA and disconnected the wireless adaptor. Indexing advanced to now. I'm waiting to see if GC will advance as well. It's still saying Feb 27, but I haven't been disconnected for very long yet.

If GC advances, what's the next step? Try to connect? Restart?

If I got this right, I think it's just connect at that point, since S03 was caused (indirectly maybe) by GC failing, is that correct?

Thanks,
David
You might want to consult the last several pages of this thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=420059

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #550
Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
You might want to consult the last several pages of this thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=420059
That's 20 minutes of my life I'll never get back, fortunately, I'm watching paint dry.

GC Finished, it's now Loading info (loading 21%.)

Thanks,
-David
Old 04-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #551
Teeps

Quote:
That's 20 minutes of my life I'll never get back, fortunately, I'm watching paint dry.

GC Finished, it's now Loading info (loading 21%.)

Thanks,
-David
If you want to keep the problem from happening in the future put the tuning adapter on a lamp timer. Set it to turn the power off for 4 hours a day.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #552
Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
If you want to keep the problem from happening in the future put the tuning adapter on a lamp timer. Set it to turn the power off for 4 hours a day.
It finished, no S03, so thank you to those of you that figured this out and posted the solutions in this thread.

disconnecting the network adapter didn't pan out? Also, what about the channel lineup thing?

System Info still says "Programming Info To: Saturday April 21". What is it waiting for to update that now?

Thanks,
-David

Last edited by Icarus : 04-20-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #553
Teeps

Quote:
disconnecting the network adapter didn't pan out?
Thanks,
-David
That never did work for my S3.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #554
Icarus

Quote:
That never did work for my S3.
After I solved my S03 problem (letting GC finish), the to do list, etc still weren't updating, though the programming to date was now May something. I probably needed to leave the TA disconnected for a while, but I was impatient, so I ended up doing the channel lineup thing. I had to go through the Season Passes afterwards and for each one tell it to "record with these options".

Looking at System Info, after the channel lineup thing the next call isn't scheduled till tomorrow, GC hasn't updated since the channel lineup thing ran, but Indexing has updated to a recent time.

Other than by looking at System Info to see the GC time updated, is there any way to tell if GC is running properly?

I guess I just need that lamp timer.

-David
Old 04-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #555
Teeps

Quote:
Other than by looking at System Info to see the GC time updated, is there any way to tell if GC is running properly?
-David
Other than you will not see the running out of guide data message; no, not that I'm aware of.

Quote:
-David
Yes you should.
$10 for a lamp timer will end the drama. My S3 likes to have the the t/a off line; powered off for 4 hours a day.

My S3's GC completes every other day.
Indexing appears to be on its own schedule; so I don't pay it much attention. Long as GC completes every couple of days.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #556
DougJohnson

Quote:

-David
Watch the GC, if it hasn't updated for a week, you should try the lamp timer. Have it turn the TA off for 4 hours at a time when you don't have any scheduled recordings, usually the very early morning, say 2am-6am.

I had the problem last October, used a timer for a month, then stopped. I've been getting GC's every day or two since November without the timer. It seems I had some sort of transient problem. You might have as well.

-- Doug
DougJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #557
Icarus

I unplugged the usb cable to the t/a last night around 1AM. GC still hadn't completed at around 7:30AM when the next call was scheduled.

If I unplug the t/a's usb cable, I can still watch all non-sdv channels. Not sure if I can do that if I power the t/a off.

-David
Old 04-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #558
questors

Quote:
I unplugged the usb cable to the t/a last night around 1AM. GC still hadn't completed at around 7:30AM when the next call was scheduled.

If I unplug the t/a's usb cable, I can still watch all non-sdv channels. Not sure if I can do that if I power the t/a off.

-David
My experience has been that all of the non-SDV will record with the TA power unplugged. I just don't get the SDV chanels.
questors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #559
Icarus

GC finally finished at 1:15PM. The update was at 7:28AM, so I guess that was about 5.5+ hours? Not sure why it didn't finish between 1AM and 7:28AM update start time.

Maybe the update at 7:28AM restarted it so it was able to finally finish?

-David
Old 04-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #560
WO312

Quote:

-David
I have a splitter in front of the TA. One feed goes to the TA and the other feed goes into the Tivo. That way I can power off the TA and the Tivo will still record any non-SDV channel.

Even so, I schedule my timer for when nothing is scheduled to be recorded. The TA turning on or off will break any recordings going on at the time in the Tivo.
WO312 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #561
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

UPDATE: Ever since we put the TA on a timer (2a-6a IIRC) we haven't had ANY issues!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #562
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
UPDATE: Ever since we put the TA on a timer (2a-6a IIRC) we haven't had ANY issues!
Great news sushikitten.

I forget now, does your TiVo have the original hard drive or an upgrade?
Old 05-01-2012, 02:10 AM   #563
Icarus

Got the timer and splitter installed. Timer's been installed, splitter just got here.

I noticed without the splitter, I could tune to broadcast channels, but nothing else (at least in the HD set of channels, didn't try others). With the splitter, I should be able to tune to any non-SDV channel when the TA is powered off.

Also I noticed that when the TA powers down or up, it stops any recording in progress and doesn't seem to resume it. Not a big deal for me, since it's not recording anything important at that point.

Anyway, hopefully with this setup, it won't need any more manual intervention.

Thanks,
-David
Old 05-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #564
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps

Great news sushikitten.

I forget now, does your TiVo have the original hard drive or an upgrade?
Original plus external 1TB hard drive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #565
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
Original plus external 1TB hard drive.
I had the same setup. Then the problem started (last June/July) a couple of weeks after Time Warner Torrance turned on SDV. When I was forced to use their Tuning Adapter, to view all "PAID for STATIONS."

As of now, I am not aware that either TiVo or Time Warner have "owned" this problem...
So here we are having to put up with missing a 3 to 5 hour recording block, daily, to get the TiVo to function....
Old 05-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #566
tootal2

You dont have unplug the tuning adaptor everyday. i just do it once a week.
Also I switched over to windows media center with a ceton cable card adaptor in my living room. its been working good.

But I still like tivo better. But its nice having 6 tuners and 3 tb of drive space.

I still have my tivo hd runnig. I going to feel bad when i decard it and unplug it. i had it for 6 years.

Quote:
I had the same setup. Then the problem started (last June/July) a couple of weeks after Time Warner Torrance turned on SDV. When I was forced to use their Tuning Adapter, to view all "PAID for STATIONS."

As of now, I am not aware that either TiVo or Time Warner have "owned" this problem...
So here we are having to put up with missing a 3 to 5 hour recording block, daily, to get the TiVo to function....

Old 05-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #567
[NG]Owner

I've been running fine for the last two months without anything. I had great success with blocking network access to the Tivo Mothership. Two months ago I removed the block due to an issue I thought I was having with Amazon (I wasn't, Amazon dropped a series I had paid for several years ago, that's why it wouldn't download). I haven't had nag screens since.

Just make sure that you have the network connection (preferably at the router) to the Mothership blocked for a minimum of two days (three is preferable) in a row sometime during the week. During that time, GC will update. After a while (if my experience is indicative) you can remove the block and GC will continue to update (until it doesn't again at some point in the future).

Easy-peasy.

[NG]Owner
[NG]Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #568
ironmike

I have had this same problem for months, and unplugging the SVA (via lamp timer) for four hours a day fixed mine. Kudos to the forum folks who came up with this workaround.

I am very unhappy with Tivo tech support. They should have fixed the software problem that makes GC fail a LONG time ago. I've been a commercial mainframe software developer for 30+ years; if I supported my customers with bug fixes the way Tivo does with their (lack of) bug fixes, I would have been out of a job decades ago. I don't think Tivo has ANY competent Linux experts on staff anymore...why else would they have delayed fixing this problem for so long?
ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #569
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmike View Post
I don't think Tivo has ANY competent Linux experts on staff anymore...

why else would they have delayed fixing this problem for so long?
Denial. (and not the river in Egypt.)

Also, it can speed good info when your location is included in the profile.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #570
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by [NG]Owner View Post
Just make sure that you have the network connection (preferably at the router) to the Mothership blocked for a minimum of two days (three is preferable) in a row sometime during the week.
Easy-peasy.

[NG]Owner
This strategy did not work on my S3; go figure.