TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-29-2012, 04:58 PM   #361
Jayjoans

Unbelievable yet again.

I thought FOR SURE that they weren't that stupid. I figured that after they towed around a couple of cameramen and a sound guy around the ferry dock that they would most certainly lead the police to a decoy van that had nothing in it as the real car or van drove off the ferry unnoticed. To think that they could be on a very small island that has just featured Paul Watson and the SS on the front page of their newspaper and assume they could go ANYWHERE on the island unnoticed is just plain clinical stupidity.

When they reported that the devices were gone my jaw dropped. How anybody can contribute money to this "circus of the sea" is beyond me.

Pmyers- to answer your question I think they figured they would be confiscated when they did their stem to stern customs inspection when the arrived at the dock. They must have at least one super-duper hiding place though, no doubt there's a stash of weed on there somewhere. Maybe they did the research beforehand and found out that there's no need for drug sniffing dogs on the island so they were safe.
Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #362
pmyers

so is that sonar equipment illegal? Maybe I missed that.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #363
Jayjoans

I have no idea whether or not it's illegal, but I bet if those were found on the SS boat when it docked they wouldn't have been confiscated for further review. I'm assuming the Faroe customs agents would have known there was only one use for them so they wouldn't have been left on the boat.

(I act like I know what I'm talking about, but I really have no clue...)
Old 04-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #364
pmyers

I'm more likely to think that this equipment doesn't even exist and they are just making it up! lol
Old 05-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #365
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
It's very hard to be sympathetic to Sea Shepard's cause here. In the antarctic, I think they at least had a valid claim (the Japanese were operating in an internationally recognized whale sanctuary, clearly for the purpose of harvesting whale meat and not research as the treaty they signed required, and they were harvesting some whales that were endangered). Here, the people are operating lawfully in their own sovereign waters, not in violation of any treaty, harvesting a species that would seem, from my research, to be of a healthy population.

I've got no problem with them shining the spotlight on what seems to be to be a barbaric and unnecessary slaughter, in an effort to sway world opinion. But actually violating local laws and interfering with the hunt seems unjustifiable.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #366
pmyers

I'm assuming this country must not have a Navy or Coast Guard?!?
Old 05-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #367
Jayjoans

The Faroe Islands are a territory of Denmark.

The Royal Danish Navy: "The RDN is mainly responsible for maritime defence and maintaining the sovereignty of Danish, Greenlandic and Faroese territorial waters. Other tasks include surveillance, search and rescue, icebreaking, oil spill recovery and prevention as well as contributions to international tasks and forces."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Danish_Navy

Hang on...."The islands form a self-governing country under the sovereignty of the Kingdom of Denmark. The total area is approximately 1,400 km˛ (540 sq mi) with a 2010 population of almost 50,000 people" So I guess they are a country, but they rely on Denmark for military, police, justice and foreign affairs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faroe
Old 05-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #368
windracer
joined the 10k club

I'm not sure how they expected to get those sonar devices smuggled across the ferry ... seems like a dumb idea.

It takes balls (or lack of common sense?) to dock in "enemy" territory like that. That rowdy group at the end of the episode seems like trouble. How is a crew of 10 going to prevent a crowd like that from boarding them?

Going to be an interesting season ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #369
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataylor View Post
It's very hard to be sympathetic to Sea Shepard's cause here. In the antarctic, I think they at least had a valid claim (the Japanese were operating in an internationally recognized whale sanctuary, clearly for the purpose of harvesting whale meat and not research as the treaty they signed required, and they were harvesting some whales that were endangered). Here, the people are operating lawfully in their own sovereign waters, not in violation of any treaty, harvesting a species that would seem, from my research, to be of a healthy population.

I've got no problem with them shining the spotlight on what seems to be to be a barbaric and unnecessary slaughter, in an effort to sway world opinion. But actually violating local laws and interfering with the hunt seems unjustifiable.
totally agree and very similiar to my earlier post. They also consume the meat locally and do not export it.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #370
Jayjoans

I Googled around a bit searching "Sea Shepherd" and "Faroe" and read some interesting articles about what happened during their stay. Clearly the TV shows are months old, so I wanted to see what was reported. Don't go looking if you don't want to know....

I won't mention what happened with the Sea Shepherd operations per se, but it does look like the heightened awareness has bred some stronger resistance to the grinds by locals on the island. It was also mentioned that due to the high mercury content of the whales they are recommending that children and pregnant women don't eat the whale meat at all, and everybody else should only eat it once a year. The oldsters blow that off as BS, but it may be the mercury issue could have more of a cooling effect on the grinds than the aqua-hippies and their stinky butter bombs.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #371
pmyers

I still wonder if that town could have just denied them from docking or if they have to let them in.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #372
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
I still wonder if that town could have just denied them from docking or if they have to let them in.
I wonder the same... I think they wanted a chance to tell their side, and I think it worked. To me the Faroe folks come off more sympathetic due to the show. I wouldn't be surprised if the producers of WW spoke to the local politicians and told them the best way to fight Paul Watson is with his own methods. Use the media to get your view out there. I for one, think this episode helped them more than Watson hurt them. Just look at the remarks in this thread.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #373
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Yeah. The only thing I can think of is that they wanted the world to see what, well, we have. It is a shrug. They are harvesting a renewable resource the most humane way possible, IMO. Compared to cattle slaughter? Yeah, fair comparison.

Aqua hippies are in the territorial waters of Denmark. A NATO country.
Spoiler:
Unfortunately, I'm guessing any real deal would have made the news months ago, so this will just be allowed to fizzle, and we won't enjoy the USN or RBN blowing them away.

justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #374
pmyers

Can't wait to see what the Aqua Hippies are up to tonight! lol
Old 05-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #375
spciesla

Saw the preview for Whale Wars (Southern Ocean) starting in June. Awesome!
Old 08-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #376
justen_m

"Interpol has issued an international wanted notice for conservationist and “Whale Wars” TV star Paul Watson, days after he skipped bail in Germany as Costa Rica tried to have him extradited." from http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/09...tar/?hpt=hp_t3

Is there a plan for a 6th season? Maybe a reality crossover between Whale Wars and Lock Up?
Old 08-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #377
Ment

I'd love to see Paul get hauled away even if its just for a day until he bails out.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:00 AM   #378
cannonz

I would like to see a show where Japanese guys follow the bloated captain around and throw stuff at him when eating beef, chicken etc.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #379
pmyers

Interesting article I read today: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...ntcmp=features

I noticed Paul Watson has resigned.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #380
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle7039373/

Paul Watson resigns as leader of anti-whaling organisation Sea Shepherd

Quote:
The head of a controversial anti-whaling organization has resigned in order to comply with a U.S. court order.

Paul Watson issued a statement saying he has stepped down as leader of Sea Shepherd.

Mr. Watson says his decision was based on an injunction issued in the U.S. last month that barred the organization from being within 450 metres of Japanese whaling vessels.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #381
Northerner26

nice to see that bloated blowhard is out, what a real ******bag!
i loved the South Park episode they did on him, really hit the nail on the head.
only thing he should be a captain of is a row boat and thats asking a lot.

Northerner26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #382
WhiskeyTango

Another SS/Watson article

Quote:
According to TMZ, a new lawsuit claims Paul Watson, star of the Animal Planet series, lied about the fate of his ship, telling media that it sank after a run in with Japanese whalers. The ship’s owner Ady Gil alleges Watson actually ordered for the ship to be sunk in order to create publicity.

The lawsuit, filed yesterday in a Los Angeles Superior Court, claims that while the ship—also named Ady Gil--- was indeed struck by a Japanese whaling boat, the damage could have been repaired, however Watson sabotaged the boat in order to amp up the publicity.

Gil claims Watson’s motive was to spur outrage over the ship’s sinking and urge people to donate to his anti-whaling organization.

WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #383
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
I tried to tell him that a Reality Show was a bad idea... But you know Paul. Always the drama queen. Sad to see him go though. That means the series, if it even survives, will probably suck now.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #384
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
I tried to tell him that a Reality Show was a bad idea... But you know Paul. Always the drama queen. Sad to see him go though. That means the series, if it even survives, will probably suck now.
Oh I don't know, bet they can find another militant eco dude to replace him.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #385
Jayjoans

I vote for Peter "The Hammer" Hammarstedt. That guy took hyperbole to a hyperbolic level.

Last edited by Jayjoans : 01-08-2013 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Corrected Peter's last name
Old 01-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #386
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
According to Sea Shepherd, Watson is staying aboard the Steve Irwin to "document their efforts," even though he is not Captain and is not part of the organization anymore. Not sure how that works.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #387
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjoans View Post
I vote for Peter "The Hammer" Hammerschmidt. That guy took hyperbole to a hyperbolic level.
Wow google is fast, they already indexed your post when I searched for Peter.

Ran across this during my search

Old 01-08-2013, 11:34 PM   #388
Jayjoans

I blew it on my first post, his last name is Hammarstedt.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:48 AM   #389
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by nataylor View Post
According to Sea Shepherd, Watson is staying aboard the Steve Irwin to "document their efforts," even though he is not Captain and is not part of the organization anymore. Not sure how that works.
Ah. Well that certainly changes things. He'll be like the Wizard behind the curtain.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #390
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
Wow google is fast, they already indexed your post when I searched for Peter.

Ran across this during my search

QFT! That is so awesome. Makes me want to record a bunch of past seasons for a drinking game or something.\

[edit] So is there another season anytime soon?

I almost find it hard to believe they sunk the Ady on purpose. As a sailor... that just sits wrong with me. She seemed a beautiful piece of work. Then again, Watson is a piece of something too.

Last edited by justen_m : 01-12-2013 at 08:40 AM.