Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #31
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
I don't see the importance of being taken immediately to the other game is when it's going to be the top sports news story for the next couple days with all the highlights and replays anyone could want.
Some folks want to experience the tension live.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #32
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
gastrof never said he was in NY or NE. In fact, he specifically said that the Red Sox/Yankees game was not the local game he was watching. That's why I think he's referring to a regional FSN and not to the broadcast network.
There are never any games scheduled at the same time as the Fox games of the week, and nobody else is allowed to televise games at that time.

Basically on Saturday, there are four time windows: 1 p.m., 4 p.m., 7 p.m., and 10 p.m., all ET. Fox picks one of those times every Saturday. During that time, only Fox can televise games (and Fox picks which ones it wants). All the other games that day are at one of the other 3 times (or they are not televised, even locally).

Yesterday the Fox games were at 4 ET. The only games going on at 4 ET were the two Fox was showing.

And his description of the game he was watching (it was a blowout when they left, and closer when they came back) matches the Yankees-Red Sox game on Saturday when the Yanks came from 9-1 down to score 7 runs each in 2 innings in a row.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #33
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc0312 View Post
To be fair...It was 9-1 when they cut out of the game for the final 2 outs.
That's not the game I was watching. We were nowhere near the end of the game.
He meant the final two outs of the White Sox - Mariners game.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:33 AM   #34
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
The stuff about a "national" audience kind of misses the point. Fox can choose, affiliate by affiliate, which games to show. They do that every week. Nothing stopped them from switching to the Mariners-White Sox game everywhere except New York and Boston.

I do think if Fox is going to usurp the right of the local Boston and New York channels to broadcast a game involving those teams, the game should be available uninterrupted to the fans in those markets...
You seem to be the only one who got the point being made.

I still say the logic of the "cutting away was fine" people is lacking, and that mine...or "ours", now...isn't.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #35
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
You seem to be the only one who got the point being made.

I still say the logic of the "cutting away was fine" people is lacking, and that mine...or "ours", now...isn't.

Your logic is not logic at all. It is a desire. And it is thinking of the game as if it were the NFL, which *does* distribute local games via national outlets.

Fox did the right thing. They covered the historic rather than the mundane.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #36
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
What you are not getting is that it is not a local broadcast.
Yes it is. They make decisions about what to air, locality by locality. They air different things in different localities. They do it every single week. Here's the map for this week. Note the different games in different parts of the country at the same time.

http://www.the506.com/temp11.html

Quote:
There is no assurance that a local team will be on Fox locally even if the team is playing at that time.
Mid-game cut-ins aside, yes, if the local team is playing during the Fox broadcast window, the Fox affiliates in that team's territory are getting that team's game. Unless you're in a part of the country where teams from more than one city claim you in their territory (like parts of Connecticut with NY and Boston teams, or parts of NJ with NY and Philly teams) and more than one of your teams is playing at that time.

Quote:
Your logic is not logic at all. It is a desire. And it is thinking of the game as if it were the NFL, which *does* distribute local games via national outlets.
Fox treats its baseball broadcasts like it treats its NFL broadcasts. Different games in different localities at the same time. Every single week.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #37
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik

Yes it is. They make decisions about what to air, locality by locality. They air different things in different localities. They do it every single week. Here's the map for this week. Note the different games in different parts of the country at the same time.

http://www.the506.com/temp11.html

Mid-game cut-ins aside, yes, if the local team is playing during the Fox broadcast window, the Fox affiliates in that team's territory are getting that team's game. Unless you're in a part of the country where teams from more than one city claim you in their territory (like parts of Connecticut with NY and Boston teams, or parts of NJ with NY and Philly teams) and more than one of your teams is playing at that time.

Fox treats its baseball broadcasts like it treats its NFL broadcasts. Different games in different localities at the same time. Every single week.
Evidentially, as this episode proves, you are dead wrong.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #38
aindik

Quote:
Evidentially, as this episode proves, you are dead wrong.
Yep. Because the networks, especially Fox, always do the right thing.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #39
mattack

Is this thread referring to smoking crack or Monica Lewinsky?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:56 PM   #40
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Is this thread referring to smoking crack or Monica Lewinsky?
No, I think it's BJ and the Bear (without the bear).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #41
TonyD79

Quote:

Yep. Because the networks, especially Fox, always do the right thing.
No but they did not follow a single "rule" you are claiming exist.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #42
aindik

Quote:
No but they did not follow a single "rule" you are claiming exist.
They follow the rule when scheduling the games. I've never seen them not do it. Have you?

Interrupting the scheduled game is something else.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #43
TonyD79

Quote:

They follow the rule when scheduling the games. I've never seen them not do it. Have you?

Interrupting the scheduled game is something else.
Uh, yes. Rays games have been played during the Fox window and they were not on anywhere.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #44
aindik

Quote:
Uh, yes. Rays games have been played during the Fox window and they were not on anywhere.
That's not what I'm talking about (but you're right that I phrased it that way). The Rays know when the Fox window is. It's on them (assuming they're the home team) to schedule a game during it with the knowledge that Fox doesn't want to televise it and that the Rays can't.

I'm talking about a Rays game that Fox is televising, but not in Tampa. IOW, a game that's in the Fox window because Fox put it there.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #45
TonyD79

Quote:

That's not what I'm talking about (but you're right that I phrased it that way). The Rays know when the Fox window is. It's on them (assuming they're the home team) to schedule a game during it with the knowledge that Fox doesn't want to televise it and that the Rays can't.

I'm talking about a Rays game that Fox is televising, but not in Tampa. IOW, a game that's in the Fox window because Fox put it there.
And they started that way. Then they moved onto an historic event. As they should have. The point is that there is no guarantee that the local team will be shown. As the switch proved.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #46
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
No, I think it's BJ and the Bear (without the bear).
So, Monica Lewinsky.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote