TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-30-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
Tod Westlake

Angry Season Pass Not Recording Certain Channels

I have a Tivo machine that works with TW Cable. I have it set up to record English soccer and UEFA Champions League on FSC, FSPlus, ESPN2 and GolTV. In recent weeks, ESPN and FX have started showing games, yet the Tivo isn't recording them. When I go to these games in the program guide and try to add them to the season pass, the new channels don't show up in the season pass list (even though I'm selecting it fram that specific channel in the guide). I have to add it manually. This is the only way. The season pass shows all these other channels I never record these games on, including YES and MSG. But no ESPN and no FX. And I cannot create a new season pass, I can only modify the current one that isn't listing these channels.

What the hell is going on? God I miss my DirecTV DVR. I never, EVER missed a game with that system. My one-year Tivo anniversary is coming up soon. If I can't get this resolved, I'm going to jettison this dreadful piece of junk and go back to DirecTV (just as soon as Euro 2012 is over).
Tod Westlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
ncted
A leaf on the wind

A season pass is channel specific. Perhaps you should try a wish list?
Old 04-30-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
Tod Westlake

Your comment, while well intentioned, is irrelevant. As I said, when I use the guide to select the game that isn't being recorded on ESPN or FX, it takes me to the season pass manager. But the season pass manager doesn't list the channel I selected from the guide. It lists every other channel the games are on, but not the two I want to add. In other words, THERE IS NO WAY TO ADD THESE GAMES TO THE SEASON PASS. It's like they don't exist. And I can't set up a new season pass, I can only modify the old one. The software is simply broken. And a wish list would never work, either. I'd have to set one up for every team in the EPL and Champions League (which is like 80 teams).

I have a better idea, though. Maybe Tivo should fix their broken software. I pay $20 per month for a really inferior product, one that has the audacity to throw menu advertizements at me even though I'm already paying through the nose. Shows you how far this company's ethics go. And I'll bet I never receive an official reply to this post. Tivo, you're arrogant and unresponsive. You don't properly support your product, and I wish I could be rid of you for good.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #4
subarr

I think I get it. Are you saying there's no "Get a Season Pass" link on the actual screen for the game you want to record? If so, it's because it's being treated as a one-time event rather than a series (just like you can't set up a Season Pass for a movie or for the Super Bowl).

Whether that categorization as a one-time event comes from the network, your cable company, Tribune or TiVo can perhaps be addressed by someone who gets all that stuff better than I do.

Maybe?
subarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:02 AM   #5
Tod Westlake

Aren't all sporting events seen as one-time? For example, if I set my Tivo to record NHL hockey on a local channel, wouldn't it just record every game on that channel? The NHL isn't a TV series, right? And I don't see why it should make a difference either way. The games on the other channels (that aren't being recorded) have the exact same title as the other games (that are being recorded), and when I select the problematic game in the guide it takes me to the season pass manager. Yet the channel/game in question isn't listed. I'm sorry, but I don't get it.

And if you're saying my cable company has to somehow TELL my Tivo how it should record events, well then I don't see how this company has a sustainable business model. Wouldn't it be in the cable company's best interest to ensure that bad information is fed to Tivo boxes, thereby making people like me want to dump the service and go with TWC's DVR?
Old 05-01-2012, 02:09 AM   #6
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod Westlake View Post
Your comment, while well intentioned, is irrelevant. As I said, when I use the guide to select the game that isn't being recorded on ESPN or FX, it takes me to the season pass manager. But the season pass manager doesn't list the channel I selected from the guide. It lists every other channel the games are on, but not the two I want to add. In other words, THERE IS NO WAY TO ADD THESE GAMES TO THE SEASON PASS. It's like they don't exist. And I can't set up a new season pass, I can only modify the old one. The software is simply broken. And a wish list would never work, either. I'd have to set one up for every team in the EPL and Champions League (which is like 80 teams).

I have a better idea, though. Maybe Tivo should fix their broken software. I pay $20 per month for a really inferior product, one that has the audacity to throw menu advertizements at me even though I'm already paying through the nose. Shows you how far this company's ethics go. And I'll bet I never receive an official reply to this post. Tivo, you're arrogant and unresponsive. You don't properly support your product, and I wish I could be rid of you for good.
Why would you expect an official response in a forum that isn't officially supported by TiVo? Ignorant, abusive posts such as yours are the main reason that their unofficial participation has declined in the last few years.

The members of this forum are perfectly willing to give aid and instructions to someone who will accurately describe their problem, i.e. exactly what they did and what the response was. It may take a few question and answer exchanges to get there, but most of the time we will. However, most of us are unwilling to try to decipher the ravings of a clueless idiot.

On point: Guide data, including series ID (this is what is used for season passes, not title) is acquired from Tribune by TiVo,inc. and downloaded by your TiVo during the "daily" (actually, about every 28 hours) connection.

If you want to start over, and calmly and accurately describe what steps you take and what you see, we can probably help you. Otherwise, I suggest you sell or return your TiVo and go with the cable company DVR. You will probably not be any happier but the rest of the TCF certainly will be.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
Tod Westlake

I see. So this isn't an "official" Tivo forum even though it clearly sports Tivo's registered trademark. That's rather odd; but, okay. And how were my previous posts abusive? Unless, of course, you're referring to my utter disdain for Tivo.

No worries. You asked me to f*ck off, and I will. You can do the same.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
lpwcomp

Quote:
I see. So this isn't an "official" Tivo forum even though it clearly sports Tivo's registered trademark. That's rather odd; but, okay. And how were my previous posts abusive? Unless, of course, you're referring to my utter disdain for Tivo.
Which part of "This site is not part of TiVo, Inc." did you not understand? The official support forum is here.

Quote:
No worries. You asked me to f*ck off, and I will. You can do the same.
Then I guess you don't want to know that this behavior is one of the numerous bugs in the 20.2 HDUI. If you temporarily switch to the SDUI, you should be able to accomplish what you want to do. This particular bug was previously unreported. I have now reported it.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #9
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
And a wish list would never work, either. I'd have to set one up for every team in the EPL and Champions League (which is like 80 teams).
Quote:
Aren't all sporting events seen as one-time? For example, if I set my Tivo to record NHL hockey on a local channel, wouldn't it just record every game on that channel? The NHL isn't a TV series, right? And I don't see why it should make a difference either way. The games on the other channels (that aren't being recorded) have the exact same title as the other games (that are being recorded), and when I select the problematic game in the guide it takes me to the season pass manager. Yet the channel/game in question isn't listed. I'm sorry, but I don't get it.

Quote:
And if you're saying my cable company has to somehow TELL my Tivo how it should record events, well then I don't see how this company has a sustainable business model. Wouldn't it be in the cable company's best interest to ensure that bad information is fed to Tivo boxes, thereby making people like me want to dump the service and go with TWC's DVR?
I'm sorry, but your understanding of how the Tivo works is severely lacking. There are several things that could be causing the problem you are seeing but you obviously don't care to do a little investigative work to correct it so I'm not really sure why you even came here. In the time it took you to post here you could have called Tivo and reported the problem, as lpwcomp was nice enough to do for you, and allowed Tivo the opportunity to fix it. You've been with Tivo for less than a year and are telling people with upwards of 10 years of experience that you know more than they do. Please.

First off, you don't seem to understand a 'one time event' regarding the use of a Tivo. Sporting events are not one time. You can set up a Season Pass for the NHL on a local channel and it will in fact record every NHL game on that channel. A one time event would be a show that only airs once within the scope of the available guide data, such as the Grammy's. You can not set a SP for one time events because there is no Season to set a Pass for.

Second, a Wishlist would ABSOLUTELY work and this is actually the ideal time to use one. It's as simple as:

Create Wishlist
Category: Soccer
Keyword: (English)
Keyword: (Champions)
Done

Set to Auto Record and the Tivo will pick up every EPL and Champions league game, regardless of what channel it is on.

Third, the cable company provides the guide data to Tribune who then provides that info to companies like Tivo and TVGuide among others. So while the cable company could screw Tivo that way, they'd also be affecting other outlets that they don't want to mess with. Cable companies have found other ways to screw Tivo users like poor support and tuning adapters.

Seriously, drop the attitude. You came here because of a problem you couldn't solve. Folks here are very knowledgeable and willing to help. Dismissing their questions and suggestions like you know better, when in fact, you don't, is just asking for the response you received, and deservedly so. I've provided you a perfect solution that will take you less than a minute to accomplish. You can take that advice and enjoy your Tivo or you can keep bashing Tivo, miss your games, and acting superior to the rest of us. It's up to you.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #10
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
Third, the cable company provides the guide data to Tribune who then provides that info to companies like Tivo and TVGuide among others. So while the cable company could screw Tivo that way, they'd also be affecting other outlets that they don't want to mess with. Cable companies have found other ways to screw Tivo users like poor support and tuning adapters.
Not to nitpick or anything, but I'm pretty sure that all the cable cos. provide to Tribune is the lineup information. The actual schedule and other program information comes from the content providers, mostly networks, cable channels (USA, TNT, SYFY, etc.), and local channels. In the case of network affiliates, I don't know if they give Tribune their entire schedule or just variations from the network schedule. Doesn't diminish your main point though.

Bottom line to the OP: This is a bug but there is a work around.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #11
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Not to nitpick or anything, but I'm pretty sure that all the cable cos. provide to Tribune is the lineup information. The actual schedule and other program information comes from the content providers, mostly networks, cable channels (USA, TNT, SYFY, etc.), and local channels. In the case of network affiliates, I don't know if they give Tribune their entire schedule or just variations from the network schedule. Doesn't diminish your main point though.

Bottom line to the OP: This is a bug but there is a work around.
You understand my point though. You can also understand my frustration with the OP hence my mistake. Thanks for the clarification though.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #12
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
You understand my point though. You can also understand my frustration with the OP hence my mistake. Thanks for the clarification though.
The ironic thing is that I am record in other threads with my opinion that TiVo's current s/w development and testing process is deeply flawed but the Help Center is hardly the proper place for the kind of rant the OP engaged in.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #13
lpwcomp

OK. While I didn't see this option yesterday so maybe there is some obscure bug, but I am now unable to duplicate the problem.

From the guide, select an episode of the series, select "Season Pass & other options", select "Season Pass options", select "Get another Season Pass".

Maybe the OP was doing this but the channel for which he wished to create the new season pass wasn't listed when he tried to create the new season pass. I have no idea since what he said he was trying to "ADD THESE GAMES TO THE SEASON PASS" is not how season passes work. The particular series that the OP was having problems with is not currently being shown so I have no way to try and duplicate his problem.

The OP probably won't see this but that is his loss.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #14
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

I found this thread with a search for "season pass broken", as that's how it seems to me.

My norm has always been find some future episode (in the guide, in upcoming episodes, whatever), click on it and either record or season pass it. The season pass is beneath the "season pass and other options" except right now that's NOT EVEN THERE. Well, at least for "dangerously rich: billionaire super security" it wasn't. I think this is new behavior--the TiVo is now detecting that this is a one-off show and so does not offer season passes whereas before it did.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote