TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
rainbow

need advise - is my S3 too far gone??

I have an original OLED series3. Have been experiencing a lot of problems this past month or so.

Screen freezes, then reboots, sometimes I have have GSOC green screen; when i click the remote, sometimes the sound echos 6-7 times, even though clicked once. The longer it stays plugged in, the more it will sponteously reboot.

I have new power supply and HD (from brand new, unused S3 I had). So it is not a capacitor, or hard drive problem.

I have posted this question elsewhere, but it has gone unanswered. I need someone who is learned and has worked on S3s to give me some advise in case these symptoms point to any specific problem (so please no scolding -)

If it is too far gone, do you think tivo might allow a (discounted) lifetime transfer to my other, unused S3?
rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:34 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
I have an original OLED series3. Have been experiencing a lot of problems this past month or so.

Screen freezes, then reboots, sometimes I have have GSOC green screen; when i click the remote, sometimes the sound echos 6-7 times, even though clicked once. The longer it stays plugged in, the more it will sponteously reboot.

I have new power supply and HD (from brand new, unused S3 I had). So it is not a capacitor, or hard drive problem.

I have posted this question elsewhere, but it has gone unanswered. I need someone who is learned and has worked on S3s to give me some advise in case these symptoms point to any specific problem (so please no scolding -)

If it is too far gone, do you think tivo might allow a (discounted) lifetime transfer to my other, unused S3?
The original S3 is the last model on which someone who knows what they're doing working with surface mount devices can transfer the crypto chip, where the TiVo Service Number is, to another of the same model motherboard. The lifetime sub is tied to the TSN.

A fresh hard drive, which has just passed the manufacturer's diagnostics long test, with a fresh installation of the image for that model, would be a good troubleshooting aid, although if you pulled the drive from a known good non-subbed TiVo and put it in, and once you got past the error 51 and the need to clear and delete everything, that's pretty much the equivalent, so that kind of narrows it down to something flaky about the motherboard.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
rainbow

Thanks, Unitron, for your response. That is pretty much my fear realized.
rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
lpwcomp

Before you entirely give up, you might try installing a fresh image on the drive.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote