TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: What night do you record your most shows?
Sunday 66 46.81%
Monday 13 9.22%
Tuesday 5 3.55%
Wednesday 8 5.67%
Thursday 44 31.21%
Friday 5 3.55%
Saturday 0 0%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 04-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #31
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post
It's been awhile since I've had to worry about "crowded" nights. There's not that many interesting shows for me on PrimeTime anymore. Right now my main shows are Dateline, Game of Thrones (Sunday), and Touch (Thurday), and I'm starting to get bored with the last.
Holy crap! One of us needs to prioritize. I have about 100 SPs, of which 50-60 are active at any one time (OIW, not on hiatus). Plus movies, docs, news, etc.

As I said, one of us needs to get our priorities in order. FWIW, my wife will be glad to let me know who that should be.
astrohip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #32
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Holy crap! One of us needs to prioritize. I have about 100 SPs, of which 50-60 are active at any one time (OIW, not on hiatus). Plus movies, docs, news, etc.

As I said, one of us needs to get our priorities in order. FWIW, my wife will be glad to let me know who that should be.
I actually have quite a few SPs, though not as many as you, but probably most of them are defunct shows that I haven't cleaned out yet. Many of the rest are fillers, reruns, and other non-Prime Time shows, and a few are current shows that I've drifted away from and let Tivo delete them without watching.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #33
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Sundays and Thursdays are the busiest for us.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #34
audioscience
Droppin' Science *

It's usually Sunday thanks to HBO but Wednesday is close too.
audioscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #35
Zarisa

I bet these numbers would GREATLY swing in other dirrections, depending on the gender.
Example would be.... more males watch Animation domination which is a whole night just on Fox.
Females tend to swing more in the Dancing with the stars and American Idol shows.

Would be curious to see how the gender factor would change these numbers.

Also curious Number of shows : Hours of shows.

Going back to the animation block analogy...thats 6 shows. which is 3 hours
However The Apprentice is 2 hours but is 1 show

I would lean more towards Hours. But I could see others leaning the other way.
Sundays for me I have 13 shows...Totaling 11 hours....GOD it's crazy counting them up.

Simpsons
American Dad
Family Guy
The Cleaveland Show
Bobs Burger (season 2 has been GREAT so far)
Napoleon Dynamite
Amazing Race
Walking Dead
Breaking Bad
Pan Am (not sure if this is coming back yet)
Mythbusters
The Apprentice
Game of Thrones

Last edited by Zarisa : 04-25-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Zarisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #36
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarisa View Post
I bet these numbers would GREATLY swing in other dirrections, depending on the gender.
Example would be.... more males watch Animation domination which is a whole night just on Fox.
Females tend to swing more in the Dancing with the stars and American Idol shows.

Sundays for me I have 13 shows...Totaling 11 hours....GOD it's crazy counting them up.

Simpsons
American Dad
Family Guy
The Cleaveland Show
Napoleon Dynamite
Amazing Race
Walking Dead
Breaking Bad
Mythbusters
The Apprentice
Game of Thrones
It's not really accurate to list shows that are not airing at the same time. For example, Napoleon Dynamite ended before Bob's Burgers started. Also, Walking Dead and Breaking Bad do not are at the same time.

Pan Am is not coming back, BTW.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #37
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
It's not really accurate to list shows that are not airing at the same time. For example, Napoleon Dynamite ended before Bob's Burgers started. Also, Walking Dead and Breaking Bad do not are at the same time.
Still makes for a crowded night!
Old 04-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #38
Zarisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post

Pan Am is not coming back, BTW.

Very True. I have a spread sheet listing my shows per night so I know what not to miss.
I have a comcast DVR Box and it's notorious at forgeting to record my Series recordings.
Another point to that is Walking dead and Break'n bad arn't even airing atm. So this poll
would change depending on the time of the year as well. I wasn't thrilled when they moved Mythbusters to Sunday. hah

Yea I know Pan Am isn't coming back. ABC still hasn't buried the hatchet and GCB took it's slot.
But, I don't think it would be greatly missed if it doesn't come back.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:06 PM   #39
Aniketos

Sundays cause of the entire HBO block, they'd be even worse but when I got my new DVR I never cared enough to add the Fox lineup back (so sad, The Simpsons shaped my formative years)

Thursdays is close too, although, I (see above) I stopped The Office this season.

Also, gave up on Walking Dead after the first season. I must be maturing, or have less patience, because I'm able to quit a show now instead of suffering to the bitter end (hi, BSG)
Aniketos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #40
sharkster

Quote:

Simpsons
American Dad
Family Guy
The Cleaveland Show
Napoleon Dynamite
Amazing Race
Walking Dead
Breaking Bad
Mythbusters
The Apprentice
Game of Thrones
Hi Zarisa! I'm not male and I watch those first 6 Fox animated shows. I also watch Walking Dead, but none of the others you listed.

I imagine you are right, however, that as a rule more guys watch those animated shows than women. I still miss King of the Hill.

Also, I watch Dexter, Nurse Jackie, The Big C, Mad Men, and assorted celebreality shows, including the Kardashian franchise, Shannen Says (she really IS a b!tch!) and Ice Loves Coco (love them!). Now there is the Long Island Medium and I can't seem to look away. All Sunday night shows and that doesn't even get into the Food network cooking competition shows that are usually on Sunday (a new season of Next Food Network Star is coming up but it looks like they renamed it to Food Network Star, FYI).

'Boss' is coming back soon - IIRC that is another great Sunday show. I imagine there are more big shows on Sunday since, during the time when most of them are running, I will have up to 25 shows recording on Sundays.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #41
Jonathan_S

Quote:

It probably also varies by how you interpret "crowded".
The first post seems to be using it in a "which night has the most hours recorded" fashion.

But it's just a reasonable to define crowding as generate conflicts. If I've got Sunday with 4 1-hours shows, but all competing for the same timeslot, I could interpret Sunday as more crowded than Monday, which has no conflicts but 4.5 hours of recordings.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #42
robojerk

Without a doubt Thursday.

If i paid for premium channels like HBO or Showtime than Sunday would be busy and might be the top contender, but I don't subscribe to those channels.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:55 AM   #43
smak
TV MA SLV

Sundays, and it would be almost unmanageable if most of the shows I watched were full TV seasons, and not just 12-13 episode ones.

There's 5 or 6 HBO & Showtime shows not even showing now, not to mention Walking Dead.

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #44
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

What, nobody has a crowded DVR on Saturday?
Old 04-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #45
rrrobinsonjr

Mad Men
The Killing
Celebrity Apprentice
Chopped Champions
Simpsons
60 Minutes
Game of Thrones
The Borgias
Desperate Housewives

'Life's Too Short' is over and I canceled my 'Girls' and 'Veep' season passes and that helped. If there's an awards show or a game I want to watch, it's a real pain in the butt.
rrrobinsonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #46
Zarisa

You know....after reading this whole thing. I started to wonder. How did we survive prior to DVR's.
I saw a comic strip on pvponline.com a few years back when Lost was ruling the airways.
2 of the lead charaters were talking about thier TV line up and how much it sucked thier life away. The punch line ended up being something like "God life was so much easier when TV sucked!"

Seems completely true now too.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #47
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
What, nobody has a crowded DVR on Saturday?
There NOTHING on Saturday anymore, except for SyFy B movie of the week. The networks should be copying SyFy and start doing cheap Action/Adventure/Sci-fi movies for Saturday night.

Anyone “old” enough to remember when Saturday night had “The Love Boat“, “Friday the 13”, “Star Trek TNG”. May be other shows that I can’t remember right now. Use to have to work every other Saturday, so I had to record shows using a VCR, had to insert a box that video tape in it and it could record only 2 hours of HQ analog video. You kids with your Tivo’s are sooo spoiled.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #48
Johncv

Quote:
You know....after reading this whole thing. I started to wonder. How did we survive prior to DVR's.
I saw a comic strip on pvponline.com a few years back when Lost was ruling the airways.
2 of the lead charaters were talking about thier TV line up and how much it sucked thier life away. The punch line ended up being something like "God life was so much easier when TV sucked!"

How did that song go 198 channels and nothing on.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:50 AM   #49
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
There NOTHING on Saturday anymore, except for SyFy B movie of the week. The networks should be copying SyFy and start doing cheap Action/Adventure/Sci-fi movies for Saturday night.

Anyone “old” enough to remember when Saturday night had “The Love Boat“, “Friday the 13”, “Star Trek TNG”. May be other shows that I can’t remember right now. Use to have to work every other Saturday, so I had to record shows using a VCR, had to insert a box that video tape in it and it could record only 2 hours of HQ analog video. You kids with your Tivo’s are sooo spoiled.
I go back farther than that. CBS had their killer block of of Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newheart and Carol Burnett. NBC if I recall had Andy Williams. Not sure if Love Boat and Fantasy Island was on at the same time as those other two. I think it was later. I think one network might have had a movie on Saturday night.

Well HBO has taken over "movie night" and it seems the nets show a lot of sports instead of new stuff (or reruns).
Old 04-30-2012, 08:08 AM   #50
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I'm not sure what the social underpinnings of the phenomenon are, but Saturday night went from a night when lots of people watched TV to a night when almost nobody watches TV.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #51
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:

I would have LOVED to have had a DVR in the mid 90s. At that time, I had something on TV every night. I was also going out 4-7 nights a week, frantically setting my VCR, cramming a tape in there, and hoping I didn't accidently record over anything I wanted to keep.

BEEP

Last edited by allan : 04-30-2012 at 10:45 AM. Reason: replaced "DVD" with "DVR" :p
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #52
sharkster

Quote:

Ha! So true. I'm finding that, with Tivos (and especially since I replaced my old ones with multi-tuner ones!), TV watching is almost a full time job for me.

I remember when I had VCRs and when they got to where you could program something to auto-record (i.e. recording a soap each day at whatever time automatically) and forgetting to catch up before the tape got to the end and finding that I had missed half the week. d'oh

Conversely, however, I don't really remember a time when I thought that tv really sucked. I'm in my mid-50s, so maybe that time eluded me - probably when I was younger and into partying. Between working and partying there wasn't much time left to watch tv and in the mid-70s I was living overseas. Talk about tv that sucked!

I'm addicted to the ID channel and would say that I probably have nearly 30 Season Pass shows on that channel. Can't even keep up!
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #53
speedcouch
Geekneck

Sunday beats every other night about 10-fold! "Cable" shows that night are awesome. Right now, I'm recording:

Nurse Jackie
The Big C
The Killing
Game of Thrones
Mad Men
The Borgias
VEEP

So glad I got the HR34 from DirecTV a couple months ago. Really using the five tuners on Sundays! :-)
Sony Bravia, 20 inch
HR34-700
HR21-100
Panasonic DMR-E30S
Kenwood VR-7060
DirecTV since Aug 1995
XM since May 2004
speedcouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #54
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcouch View Post
Sunday beats every other night about 10-fold! "Cable" shows that night are awesome. Right now, I'm recording:

Nurse Jackie
The Big C
The Killing
Game of Thrones
Mad Men
The Borgias
VEEP

So glad I got the HR34 from DirecTV a couple months ago. Really using the five tuners on Sundays! :-)
Yeah, my Sundays are packed. And since I'm one of those people who actually try to watch most shows ASAP (as versus building them up for a later date), it's challenging to get them all watched. It usually takes me a couple days to catch up. Sundays is the only day I have this problem. Thursdays is close.

Simpsons
Bob's Burgers
Once Upon a Time
Game of Thrones
Mad Men
Veep
Girls
Nurse Jackie
The Big C
Frozen Planet (this may be over?)

And I'm still recording The Killing, although I'll never watch 'em (don't ask).

Couldn't do it without my Elite four tuner.
astrohip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #55
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcouch View Post

Nurse Jackie
The Big C
The Killing
Game of Thrones
Mad Men
The Borgias
VEEP
So does that mean that on other nights, you record about 7/10 of a show?
Old 04-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #56
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
There NOTHING on Saturday anymore, except for SyFy B movie of the week.
Cops, when it's new
there's a pretty-bad-but-I've-been-watching reality show on NBC
The Firm
48 Hours -- don't know why, but once in a while these mystery stories are entertaining
SNL
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:08 PM   #57
mattack

Quote:
How did we survive prior to DVR's.
VCRs. That's why I've said many times that I think DVRs are evolutionary, not revolutionary. For quite a while, I had 2 VCRs so that I could either record 2 things at once or record one thing and watch another (i.e. avoid ads).
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:49 PM   #58
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
VCRs. That's why I've said many times that I think DVRs are evolutionary, not revolutionary. For quite a while, I had 2 VCRs so that I could either record 2 things at once or record one thing and watch another (i.e. avoid ads).
I think they're revolutionary. VCRs were pretty highly specialized...i.e., I think a very small percentage of people used them to their full potential or even close to it. I can't remember the number, but a surprisingly high percentage of VCR owners used them exclusively for movie rentals.

I know I'm a pretty tech-savvy guy, and I used my VCR as little as possible...too much hassle for not enough benefit. I would always watch live TV if I could. My first TiVo immediately and dramatically changed the way I watched TV, and as DVR penetration has increased, I've seen people who would fall into the rental-only camp of VCR users turn into casual time-shifters.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:31 AM   #59
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs
I think they're revolutionary. VCRs were pretty highly specialized...i.e., I think a very small percentage of people used them to their full potential or even close to it.
I wasted so much time (in hindsight) archiving programs to videotape. I had virtually every episode of Buffy and Angel taped and catalogued. Along with the Tick and some other cartoons. As the DVDs of various programs come out the tapes got boxed and eventually tossed.

The TiVo helped me be much better organized about my archiving.

Now I do that all digitally.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #60
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I agree.

But I think a lot more people use DVRs as time shifters than VCR users did. I used it as a time shifter all the time. But remember the old joke of the blinking 12:00. Hard to program something to record later if you can't even set up the clock The DVR makes it MUCH easier to do this.