TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
moyekj

Sigh. NBA Playoffs. Guide never up to date

Sigh. Every year it's the same thing. The NBA playoffs arrive, the league announces the playoff schedules, zap2it.com for my zip code shows the correct games, yet TiVo guide data simply shows generic information even after connecting umpteen times. Have to go look up the schedule and use Manual Record By Time to schedule the first few games to record like in the VCR days.
Would be nice 1 year if guide listings would actually update in a timely manner...

And of course just as I start this thread I tried 1 more net connect and the guide finally has the data about 30 minutes before the 1st game I want to record. Better late than never I guess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
Shogun82

Interesting, thanks for the heads up...
Shogun82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
mr.unnatural

Guide data from any source is rarely up to date when it comes to any sort of playoff series in professional sports, especially if there's only a couple of days between the end of one series and the beginning of the next. They'll usually list is as a divisional playoff, but the teams involved are still unknown at the time it's published. Check the league schedule on their website and set up a manual recording if necessary. You can't rely on guide data unless Zap2It or other guide supplier has enough lead-time to get it incorporated into the published schedule.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
seattlewendell

Yeah, I set a recording based on the generic data which had the wrong start time. I was away from home when the game was scheduled to air. Tivo connected 30 minutes before the start time and received the correct data. Well the Tivo perceived the new data as a totally different show and cancelled my old recording and did NOT record the "new" show. In the todo list it is listed as "show not recorded because it on longer appears in guide".
Thanks Tivo!
seattlewendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
Guide data from any source is rarely up to date when it comes to any sort of playoff series in professional sports, especially if there's only a couple of days between the end of one series and the beginning of the next. They'll usually list is as a divisional playoff, but the teams involved are still unknown at the time it's published. Check the league schedule on their website and set up a manual recording if necessary. You can't rely on guide data unless Zap2It or other guide supplier has enough lead-time to get it incorporated into the published schedule.
But somehow the cable company manages to get it updated in the guide THEIR set-top boxes use.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
But somehow the cable company manages to get it updated in the guide THEIR set-top boxes use.
That's probably because they're updating it themselves and not relying on a 3rd party like Zap2it. Tivo doesn't actually charge you for the guide data, only the software that allows you to use it. My WMC PC also uses Zap2it as the guide data source, but I don't have to pay extra for the privilege of being able to record shows with it.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
Gregor

NHL guide data has been pretty good so far in the playoffs.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:36 AM   #8
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
NHL guide data has been pretty good so far in the playoffs.
NBA has been too for me. Only one game had listed the teams as TBA. Considering their was only one off day between the last regular season game and the start of the playoffs, I think the guide data has been pretty good for the NBA Playoffs.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #9
celtic pride

Its up to date on my tivo!
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #10
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
Exactly. The lousy cable-co DVR (or non-DVR boxes) have more up to date listings than TiVo for this kind of thing...

Old 04-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #11
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Exactly. The lousy cable-co DVR (or non-DVR boxes) have more up to date listings than TiVo for this kind of thing...
Charter doesn't. They use Tribune for many of their boxes so they are the same. And for the NBA playoffs the guide data has been really good on my TiVos.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #12
celtic pride

to make things worse tivo thinks verizon fios deleted TNT HD! now i cant get any guide data at all! so u cant set my tivos to record any nba games on TNT!
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:32 AM   #13
severe

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic pride View Post
to make things worse tivo thinks verizon fios deleted TNT HD! now i cant get any guide data at all! so u cant set my tivos to record any nba games on TNT!
Noticed here tonight as well. Couldn't find TNTHD anywhere in my channel guide. Was pretty sure I'd viewed it recently. (This is a new Premiere)

At any rate, I went in and checked it in channel settings, but it's also not giving me any guide data.
severe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:22 AM   #14
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by severe View Post

At any rate, I went in and checked it in channel settings, but it's also not giving me any guide data.
It's because the cablecard sees the channel but it doesn't exist in the Tribune lineup. You should report it to TiVo (or Tribune) to add it back.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:28 PM   #15
severe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
It's because the cablecard sees the channel but it doesn't exist in the Tribune lineup. You should report it to TiVo (or Tribune) to add it back.
Thanks.
severe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #16
moyekj

And of course no sign of tonight's or tomorrow's games in the listings. Manual recordings here we come again...

Old 05-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #17
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
And of course no sign of tonight's or tomorrow's games in the listings. Manual recordings here we come again...
This will always happen towards the end of each round. TNT/ESPN doesn't know which games they are showing until 24-48 hours before hand depending on who is eliminated.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #18
moyekj

Quote:
This will always happen towards the end of each round. TNT/ESPN doesn't know which games they are showing until 24-48 hours before hand depending on who is eliminated.
The fact is that zap2it.com for my zip code has had proper listings for over 24 hours now yet TiVo doesn't even after forced net connections last night and this morning. The lag is just too long between when zap2it is updated and TiVo gets updated listings. It's been this way for years... this is just a venting thread more than anything. TiVo database should have a "mini-update" every day in addition to a "full update" to catch changes within the last 48 hours in a more timely fashion.

Last edited by moyekj : 05-10-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #19
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
That's probably because they're updating it themselves and not relying on a 3rd party like Zap2it. Tivo doesn't actually charge you for the guide data, only the software that allows you to use it. My WMC PC also uses Zap2it as the guide data source, but I don't have to pay extra for the privilege of being able to record shows with it.
So TiVo doesn't pay anything to Tribune Media Services? Ever?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #20
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
So TiVo doesn't pay anything to Tribune Media Services? Ever?
They pay per subscriber to Tribune. And certainly part of TiVo subscriptions pay for the fee.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #21
unitron

Quote:
They pay per subscriber to Tribune. And certainly part of TiVo subscriptions pay for the fee.
Well, if TMS can get up-to-date listings out to zap2it, cable company boxes, and satellite boxes, why can't it get to TiVo just as fast?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:05 PM   #22
TerpBE
Go Terps!

I missed 47 1/2 minutes of the 76ers game tonight because of this. Since it wasn't on TNT at the time, and the only other NBA game listed was at 10:30 (Teams TBA), I assumed that's when they were playing. Luckily my wife walked in just before the end to tell me she saw it on at a store.
TerpBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #23
seattlewendell

It's Saturday. Two games on today. Tivo shows one game on today. I am forcing connections but no update. If I have to babysit the Tivo what's the point?
seattlewendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #24
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlewendell View Post
It's Saturday. Two games on today. Tivo shows one game on today. I am forcing connections but no update. If I have to babysit the Tivo what's the point?
Sad isn't it? Manual record is your only choice in this situation (flash back to 80s style recording).

Old 05-14-2014, 02:49 PM   #25
moyekj

I guess I'll be resurrecting this thread every year around this time (though I guess I missed last year) as guide updates seem to be few and far between for TiVo...

I finally got so sick of this problem that I added ability to schedule manual recordings from kmttg now. So at least now I can schedule manual recordings away from home now rather than having to do so while sitting in front of the TiVo at home.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:06 PM   #26
tomhorsley

This is why we need the TiVo social network: Fans sharing manually updated schedule info :-).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:40 PM   #27
rainwater

I haven't had any issues with the 2nd round. They have been exact since it started since they schedule was set already. The first round fluctuates because some games get sent to NBA TV so it depends on who is still left. Going forward, there shouldn't be much issues since 2 more teams have been eliminated leaving only 2 remaining matchups in the 2nd round.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:20 AM   #28
moyekj

Clippers play tomorrow and despite forcing guide updates continuously since Tuesday night only tonight does it finally show up in the guide after I forced yet another update. So unless one forces guide updates there's a good chance a wishlist or season pass won't pick up the game. I scheduled the Clippers game early this afternoon with a manual record after getting tired of waiting for guide to update.

It still seems after all these years that TiVo gets guide updates only once per day as far as I can tell, and I'm not even sure exactly what time of day they get it, but it appears to be sometime in the afternoon pacific time. If someone knows more please post.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:51 AM   #29
cherry ghost

Hockey hasn't been any better
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:57 AM   #30
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

As far as I could tell a while back, they package up the updates per TiVo and make them available sometime around 2:30pm to 3:30pm for me (Eastern Time zone). So calling around 4pm works for me.