TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
tiams

Parks and Recreation "The Debate" S4E20 OAD 4/26/12

That is a real twitter feed. They set that up months ago and gave it a whole life. It's a good read and has a surprise ending after the debate. https://twitter.com/#!/munchmeat2015

Amy Poehler wrote this episode.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

This was the first episode where the Ann/Tom subplot didn't make me want to poke my eyes out.

I am sad, though, that they seem to have shut the door on Ann/Rob Lowe's character.

That being said, this show continues to just be amazing.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

I want one of those lap dances from April.
KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

I missed this show so much!
Old 04-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

What a great ep. Amy Poehler is so awesome - she wrote, directed, and obviously starred in it.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Great ep. I was surprised at how well Bobby Newport came across, since previous episodes made him seem like a complete dope. I mean, he is a complete dope, but somehow he was able to charm the audience and not come across as completely dopey. That shows great writing by Poehler.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuCow View Post
'Steak n Shake'..yeah I like!
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #8
Dignan
_

I thought they might go with Being There and make Bobby more zen. I'm glad they didn't.

The Andy movie recreations were really funny, he was so wired doing those scenes.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Roadhouse!
KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuCow View Post
Don't expect eye contact.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #11
Fish Man
Phish Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Great ep. I was surprised at how well Bobby Newport came across, since previous episodes made him seem like a complete dope. I mean, he is a complete dope, but somehow he was able to charm the audience and not come across as completely dopey. That shows great writing by Poehler.
I liked that too.

I also found it very interesting that he was joyous about the debate being over, and while he seemed aware that Leslie had resoundingly kicked his ass, he was OK with it.

My take is that he's not very bright, happy go lucky, and is only running for council because daddy told him to. He really doesn't care if he wins or loses. I was left with the impression that if it weren't for his dad pulling his strings, he'd be a dim, but good hearted and likable guy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fish Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #12
trainman
Nice to see you

The scene with Ron Swanson climbing the pole to steal cable was shot a few months ago in the same vacant lot where they used to film the "pit" scenes. They put up three fake poles that are quite a bit shorter than the legitimate poles in the area (which you could see in the background in one of the camera angles).

I was a little disappointed that they didn't use the Kabletown name for Pawnee's cable system.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #13
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
The scene with Ron Swanson climbing the pole to steal cable was shot a few months ago in the same vacant lot where they used to film the "pit" scenes. They put up three fake poles that are quite a bit shorter than the legitimate poles in the area (which you could see in the background in one of the camera angles).

I was a little disappointed that they didn't use the Kabletown name for Pawnee's cable system.
That would have been all kinds of win.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:46 AM   #14
jpcamaro70

I said it before and i'll say it again, Parks continues to be my fav sitcom. Better than my long time fav's, office, 30 rock, rules of engagement (this one is close though).

I just love anne perkins and ron. April and ??? are hilarious. Awesome show.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #15
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:

I loved Ron singing "Wichita Lineman" and how he hugged the pole when he heard a police siren... priceless!

I also loved how excited Bobby was to have made it through the debate-"Party at my dad's lake house!"
Old 04-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #16
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Great ep. I was surprised at how well Bobby Newport came across, since previous episodes made him seem like a complete dope. I mean, he is a complete dope, but somehow he was able to charm the audience and not come across as completely dopey.
Yeah, cause stuff like that has never happened in real life...

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #17
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba

Yeah, cause stuff like that has never happened in real life...
His campaign manager said it. All he has to do is not completely fail. Worked for W. His expectations were so low that he won by not screwing up.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #18
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
While I appreciated the humor of that scene, I'd think that it would be more in Ron's character to climb to the roof of the house, hook up an OTA antenna, and say, "There, free television".

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #19
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung

While I appreciated the humor of that scene, I'd think that it would be more in Ron's character to climb to the roof of the house, hook up an OTA antenna, and say, "There, free television".
What if the debate were only on cable?
Old 04-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #20
sfenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Man View Post
I liked that too.

I also found it very interesting that he was joyous about the debate being over, and while he seemed aware that Leslie had resoundingly kicked his ass, he was OK with it.

My take is that he's not very bright, happy go lucky, and is only running for council because daddy told him to. He really doesn't care if he wins or loses. I was left with the impression that if it weren't for his dad pulling his strings, he'd be a dim, but good hearted and likable guy.
I think it is more that he knows it doesn't matter at all what he says or does - Daddy will fix it.

Have we seen Daddy?
sfenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:14 PM   #21
mlsnyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfenton View Post
I think it is more that he knows it doesn't matter at all what he says or does - Daddy will fix it.
My impression is he's used to getting what he wants because most of the time he does. Whether it's daddy fixing it or whatever else is done so he gets his way. I forgot exactly what he said in the episode his character first appeared but it was something like, "C'mon Leslie! Why don't you quit already so I can win this thing?" as if it's a foregone conclusion.

I think Paul Rudd does a nice job of playing him because he doesn't come off as a spoiled brat. More like someone who just thinks that's the way the world works.
mlsnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #22
Fish Man
Phish Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfenton View Post

Have we seen Daddy?
They've been a little bit vague about the Newport family relationships, but the general assumption is:

Daddy (Nick Newport Sr., founder and official CEO of Sweetums):

Older brother (Nick Newport Jr., effective current CEO of Sweetums):

Fish Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #23
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsnyc View Post
My impression is he's used to getting what he wants because most of the time he does. Whether it's daddy fixing it or whatever else is done so he gets his way. I forgot exactly what he said in the episode his character first appeared but it was something like, "C'mon Leslie! Why don't you quit already so I can win this thing?" as if it's a foregone conclusion.

I think Paul Rudd does a nice job of playing him because he doesn't come off as a spoiled brat. More like someone who just thinks that's the way the world works.
He's very childlike in many ways too. So even when he does/says something dickish, it's hard to be totally mad.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #24
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Man View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsnyc View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
He's very childlike in many ways too. So even when he does/says something dickish, it's hard to be totally mad.

While I don't want to turn this into a political thread, all y'all do notice the whole art-imitating-life thing here, right?

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote