TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
jbs

Fios box sleeps too quickly, any way to delay

I have an SD Tivo S2 connected to a Fios cable box. We don't use it often (we mainly use our Tivo HD) but keep it b/c it's a lifetime subscription and provides a second option when someone's watching the main one.

The problem is that the Fios box goes to sleep with such maddening frequency that the Tivo's almost useless. Instead of recording programs it records a black screen. I thought I'd solved then problem when I found a screensaver setting and disabled it, but that doesn't seem to prevent sleep.

It's possible that this is a defect in the Fios box, and this might be a better question on a Fios forum, but I thought some of you might similarly be using a Fios box and have a trick/workaround for keeping the box "on". Does anyone know what exactly the trigger for keeping it awake is? If I program daily recordings on different channels throughout the day will the Tivo changing channels on the box keep it from sleeping? The box is centralized in an AV closet in the basement, so it's not possible to easily observe when it clicks off and turn it back on.

Thanks for any insights as always!

--Jason
jbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
smgeisler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbs View Post
I have an SD Tivo S2 connected to a Fios cable box. We don't use it often (we mainly use our Tivo HD) but keep it b/c it's a lifetime subscription and provides a second option when someone's watching the main one.

The problem is that the Fios box goes to sleep with such maddening frequency that the Tivo's almost useless. Instead of recording programs it records a black screen. I thought I'd solved then problem when I found a screensaver setting and disabled it, but that doesn't seem to prevent sleep.

It's possible that this is a defect in the Fios box, and this might be a better question on a Fios forum, but I thought some of you might similarly be using a Fios box and have a trick/workaround for keeping the box "on". Does anyone know what exactly the trigger for keeping it awake is? If I program daily recordings on different channels throughout the day will the Tivo changing channels on the box keep it from sleeping? The box is centralized in an AV closet in the basement, so it's not possible to easily observe when it clicks off and turn it back on.

Thanks for any insights as always!

--Jason
The box is working "correctly". You can't use it successfully with TiVo.
You need to get what I think they call a digital tuner. Its only purpose is to change the channel and works perfectly with Series 1, Series 2 and the DT TiVos. There's no screen saver and it doesn't just shut off whenever it feels like it. It costs either $2.99 or $3.99 per month. I'm not sure which.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
rsnaider

I am still using 2 SD boxes with FiOS and when my boxes were off it was either a software update, or it was tuned to a channel I did not receive.

Make sure your Series 2 is only configured for what you are receving as the box if left on a channel you do not subscribe to will turn the box off.

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Roamio Pro - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Mini
rsnaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
mrjam2jab
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnaider View Post
I am still using 2 SD boxes with FiOS and when my boxes were off it was either a software update, or it was tuned to a channel I did not receive.

Make sure your Series 2 is only configured for what you are receving as the box if left on a channel you do not subscribe to will turn the box off.
This right here. I had the same issue when I switched to FIOS in Feb. Had to go thru and clear all the HD channels from the Tivos lineup since it couldn't record them anyway.

Scott B

Tivo 540 S2 9.3.1 Lifetime EC
Tivo 240 S2 9.3.1 Lifetime SM
Tivo 240 S2 9.3.1 Monthly SW
Tivo 649 S2D2 Monthly MK
mrjam2jab is offline   Reply With Quote