TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
mhightower

Help with cable vs. direct tv issue

I am really not sure if this is the correct place for this post, but I wasnt sure of where exactly to put it. We have two tivo premieres. We have cable from our local cable company (small rural company). They promised cable cards, but have yet to deliver after about 9 months of waiting. We have been using the tivo without the cable card, which is fine except we cannot get any of the HD channels, like the sports channels my husband wants to watch. My question is what direction I need to go from here? Do I need to dump my cable company and get satellite (we had dish before but would probably go with Direct TV next)? Can I use the tivo's I already have with Direct TV if I swap? If not, do I need the direct tv-tivo or their regular dvr? I am really confused at this point!! Thanks for any suggestions you can send my way.
mhightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
sharkster

I recall having heard that Tivo Premiere models are NOT compatible with satellite. This was last month when I replaced my two old Series 2 boxes with Premieres.

I'm not a fan of satellite anyway but, in your case, that really sucks because if you are paying for premium channels and cannot get them because your cable company doesn't offer CableCARDs you are at a profound disadvantage.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
compnurd

I thought they were required to offer them.....
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
mhightower

I thought so too at first, but after they stonewalled on us for a month or two, I started to dig deeper. It seems that companies that are very small do not fall under the directive to furnish cable cards. The odd thing is that a couple of months before we got our tivo, the cable company ran a huge ad campaign touting dvr's of their own, which we got on the wait list for. When those didn't materialize, I went with the tivo, thinking I could just get the cable card from them. They put us off saying they weren't in yet, finally sent me one to install on my own, but when I tried the setup for it kept saying there was no card in the slot. I took it back with the promise of them sending a tech out to install it, who never materialized. Every time I asked about it they just said "we don't have them yet." And like previously stated, we have been paying for HD premium channels that we cannot access.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Premiere can only use cable or antenna, not satellite or DirecTV.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:59 PM   #6
HellFish
I can dress myself.

Have you tried calling Tivo? They can confirm if your suspicions are correct about your cable company being exempt from cablecards.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
Quake97

Directv does offer a TiVo model, it's just not that good.

Joe
Quake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
DonaldBurns65144

Can't you do the same thing that Canadian users of the Premiere do and purchase a Motorola "M" C.C. off the internet and self-install it. Then call your cable company and tell them you have a Motorola cable box that you want activated? Don't say a word about Tivo - just a Motorola cable box. See Canadian threads for the details.
DonaldBurns65144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #9
compnurd

Or tell when you have a Home PC that requires it
Old 05-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #10
mhightower

I have never heard of this option! Will using it mean that all my HD channels I am supposed to be getting but not will be available after all?? This is great news-must investigate!! Thanks!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #11
compnurd

what is the name of the cable company
Old 05-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #12
mhightower

The name of my cable company? West Alabama TV Cable.
DonaldBurns65144 can you please provide a link to the thread with reference about what I would need to do? I did not see anything specific when I searched, but I probably went right over what I needed
Old 05-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #13
MC Hammer

Depending on how many customers your cable company services, they may not be required to comply with FCC regulations.

This is the way a "small cable company" is defined per CFR § 76.901:

Quote:
e) Small cable company. A small cable company is a cable television operator that serves a total of 400,000 or fewer subscribers over one or more cable systems.

(f) Small cable operator. A small cable operator is an operator that, directly or through an affiliate, serves in the aggregate fewer than 1 percent of all subscribers in the United States and is not affiliated with any entity or entities whose gross annual revenues in the aggregate exceed $250,000,000. For purposes of this definition, an operator shall be deemed affiliated with another entity if that entity holds a 20 percent or greater equity interest (not including truly passive investment) in the operator or exercises de jure or de facto control over the operator.

MC Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote