TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY
 
martinp13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 10,609
TC CLUB MEMBER
Once Upon a Time - "The Stranger" - S01E20 - 4/29/2012

Hate to say it, but I agree with Emma. That wasn't a very convincing argument on his part. But if she's not going to believe him, then she should find out how he knows what he does (blanket, etc). My guess is that her true love for Henry will make her break through the denial.

I will give myself a pat on the back for figuring out Pinocchio in the cabinet with the candlestick... I mean red hat. I did like the underhanded dealings by Geppetto with the Fairy, and the addition of that part of the backstory to what we already knew.

Interesting that Pinocchio left Emma, but I don't know how much protecting he could have done with that winner of a foster father.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:02 AM   #2
Doggie Bear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest, USA
Posts: 221
Our recording got clipped with about a minute left. What happened after Emma got together with Henry?
Doggie Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:45 AM   #3
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY
 
martinp13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 10,609
TC CLUB MEMBER
Emma asked him if he wanted to get away from Regina and live with her, he said "more than anything". She said buckle up, he asked where they were going, and she said "We're leaving Storybrooke" and drove off with him in the car.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:49 AM   #4
markz
Hilarity Ensues
 
markz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connersville, IN
Posts: 12,170
I am not clear on one thing...

Why is August's leg turning back to wood? Isn't he being brave, truthful, etc?
__________________
- Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:49 AM   #5
loubob57
Cancer sucks!
 
loubob57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 24,178
TC CLUB MEMBER
I know some people didn't want August to be Pinocchio , but I thought it fit as well as anything else has. I just kept waiting for his nose to grow.
__________________
Well boys, I reckon this is it: nuclear combat, toe to toe with the Russkies.
loubob57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:03 AM   #6
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY
 
martinp13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 10,609
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
I am not clear on one thing...

Why is August's leg turning back to wood? Isn't he being brave, truthful, etc?
As a boy he left Emma to fend for herself. And when she hit 28, he was partying on the other side of the world.

He probably has termites. Wouldn't it be funnier if instead of a writer, he was a pest control guy?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #7
Shakhari
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
I am not clear on one thing...

Why is August's leg turning back to wood? Isn't he being brave, truthful, etc?
I'm not really clear on whether his leg isn't really turning back to wood, but he thinks it is out of guilt, or if it really is changing, but Emma can't see it out of denial.
Shakhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #8
markz
Hilarity Ensues
 
markz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connersville, IN
Posts: 12,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
As a boy he left Emma to fend for herself. And when she hit 28, he was partying on the other side of the world.

He probably has termites. Wouldn't it be funnier if instead of a writer, he was a pest control guy?
Just seems like 28 years is a long time for it to start affecting him from leaving her.

It would be funny if he was a pest control guy!
__________________
- Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #9
Ereth
Registered User
 
Ereth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 35,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
Emma asked him if he wanted to get away from Regina and live with her, he said "more than anything". She said buckle up, he asked where they were going, and she said "We're leaving Storybrooke" and drove off with him in the car.
Thanks for this. Mine also cut off. I finally figured out that both tuners have something to record at 9, and they both have "Start 1 minute early", and Dish DVR doesn't do "soft padding" so it cuts away, and that's why I miss the end of this show every week. Fixed that, but with only 1 episode to go.
__________________
Remember "Just Alley"? Re-read it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:25 AM   #10
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY
 
martinp13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 10,609
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakhari View Post
I'm not really clear on whether his leg isn't really turning back to wood, but he thinks it is out of guilt, or if it really is changing, but Emma can't see it out of denial.
I forgot to mention that last night. They left us with that nagging bit of doubt. Even we the audience don't know which is "the truth". He sees it as wood, she sees it as skin. He says "I'm sick" and "I'm dying", but hasn't explained why he thinks that.

My personal opinion is that he's right, and it's wood. The pain thing/seizure thing pushes me that way. Also, in FTL they didn't know what would happen to Pinocchio on the other side. Maybe some FTL magic fades over time in our world. It's really a coin flip/script revision.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:46 AM   #11
LooseWiring
Registered User
 
LooseWiring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,601
Okay, was it just my own perverse nature or was the Blue Fairy letting it ALL hang out last night?

I thought it was just me until Julie looked up and said "Woah!".
__________________
Xbox Live gamertag: LooseWiring
LooseWiring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:46 AM   #12
tiams
Registered User
 
tiams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
I am not clear on one thing...

Why is August's leg turning back to wood? Isn't he being brave, truthful, etc?
Magic made him a real boy, lack of magic is what is turning him to wood.

The curse was coming which would make magic no longer exist and turn Fairy Tale Land into Storybrooke. FTL doesn't exist anymore, only Storybrooke. Pinnochio has been in the real world (outside of Storybrooke) for the last 28 years.

Lost reference of the night: Phuket.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #13
Ereth
Registered User
 
Ereth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 35,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseWiring View Post
Okay, was it just my own perverse nature or was the Blue Fairy letting it ALL hang out last night?

I thought it was just me until Julie looked up and said "Woah!".
That was my favorite scene.
__________________
Remember "Just Alley"? Re-read it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #14
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY
 
martinp13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 10,609
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseWiring View Post
Okay, was it just my own perverse nature or was the Blue Fairy letting it ALL hang out last night?

I thought it was just me until Julie looked up and said "Woah!".
Yeah, lots of gratuitous fairy boob shots last night. Not up close, but that outfit left zero to the imagination.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #15
markz
Hilarity Ensues
 
markz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connersville, IN
Posts: 12,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseWiring View Post
Okay, was it just my own perverse nature or was the Blue Fairy letting it ALL hang out last night?

I thought it was just me until Julie looked up and said "Woah!".
I admit, I made a comment about blue fairy boobs to my wife!
__________________
- Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #16
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 30,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
The curse was coming which would make magic no longer exist and turn Fairy Tale Land into Storybrooke. FTL doesn't exist anymore, only Storybrooke. Pinnochio has been in the real world (outside of Storybrooke) for the last 28 years.
It's not the curse that makes magic not exist in our world, it's the fact that magic doesn't exist in our world (which is why Mr Gold's son wanted to come here). FTL didn't become Storybrooke; Storybrooke is where the FTL characters were transported.

How to reconcile the fact that magic doesn't exist in our world with the fact that magic seems to exist in our world is an open question. One which, hopefully, has an answer beyond a writer's "oops." Perhaps bringing magical beings here brought (some) magic into our world?
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #17
loubob57
Cancer sucks!
 
loubob57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 24,178
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Lost reference of the night: Phuket.
Also, when Pinocchio first entered our world and an airliner flew overhead - was that an Oceanic emblem on the tail? Hard to tell but I think it was.

He also mentioned 8:15 but we've probably already noted that.
__________________
Well boys, I reckon this is it: nuclear combat, toe to toe with the Russkies.
loubob57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #18
tiams
Registered User
 
tiams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
It's not the curse that makes magic not exist in our world, it's the fact that magic doesn't exist in our world (which is why Mr Gold's son wanted to come here). FTL didn't become Storybrooke; Storybrooke is where the FTL characters were transported.

How to reconcile the fact that magic doesn't exist in our world with the fact that magic seems to exist in our world is an open question. One which, hopefully, has an answer beyond a writer's "oops." Perhaps bringing magical beings here brought (some) magic into our world?
The curse is why there is no magic in Storybrooke. They have said that.
Storybrooke is Fairy Tale Land without magic.

Storybrooke is what Fairy Tale Land became, it is not the real world. Our world contains places like Boston and Phuket. Storybrooke is a self-contained place that nobody who was in Fairy Tale Land at the time of the curse can leave. Just like Fairy Tale Characters could not leave Fairy Tale Land without and enchanted wardrobe.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #19
tiams
Registered User
 
tiams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
It's not the curse that makes magic not exist in our world, it's the fact that magic doesn't exist in our world (which is why Mr Gold's son wanted to come here). FTL didn't become Storybrooke; Storybrooke is where the FTL characters were transported.

How to reconcile the fact that magic doesn't exist in our world with the fact that magic seems to exist in our world is an open question. One which, hopefully, has an answer beyond a writer's "oops." Perhaps bringing magical beings here brought (some) magic into our world?
Mr. Gold's son isn't in Storybrooke. Storybrooke didn't exist until the curse.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #20
LooseWiring
Registered User
 
LooseWiring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
The curse is why there is no magic in Storybrooke. They have said that.
Storybrooke is Fairy Tale Land without magic.

Storybrooke is what Fairy Tale Land became, it is not the real world. Our world contains places like Boston and Phuket. Storybrooke is a self-contained place that nobody who was in Fairy Tale Land at the time of the curse can leave. Just like Fairy Tale Characters could not leave Fairy Tale Land without and enchanted wardrobe.
Then how did Henry & Emma get there? How did Emma & August drive out to the diner?
__________________
Xbox Live gamertag: LooseWiring
LooseWiring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #21
tiams
Registered User
 
tiams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseWiring View Post
Then how did Henry & Emma get there? How did Emma & August drive out to the diner?
Emma and August are not part of the curse because they were transported out of FTL in the enchanted wardrobe before the curse. They were not transported to Storybrooke, they were transported to the real world.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #22
Ereth
Registered User
 
Ereth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 35,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Emma and August are not part of the curse because they were transported out of FTL in the enchanted wardrobe before the curse. They were not transported to Storybrooke, they were transported to the real world.
And they drove to Storybrooke. Busses go there. Henry was able to leave.
__________________
Remember "Just Alley"? Re-read it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #23
tiams
Registered User
 
tiams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
And they drove to Storybrooke. Busses go there. Henry was able to leave.
Right, because Henry was never in FTL.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #24
JYoung
Series 3
 
JYoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
I forgot to mention that last night. They left us with that nagging bit of doubt. Even we the audience don't know which is "the truth". He sees it as wood, she sees it as skin. He says "I'm sick" and "I'm dying", but hasn't explained why he thinks that.

My personal opinion is that he's right, and it's wood. The pain thing/seizure thing pushes me that way. Also, in FTL they didn't know what would happen to Pinocchio on the other side. Maybe some FTL magic fades over time in our world. It's really a coin flip/script revision.
Or August's condition is strictly psychosomatic due to his guilt about not doing what he was supposed to.
__________________
Member of the TiVoShanan Fan Club!

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #25
Ereth
Registered User
 
Ereth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 35,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Right, because Henry was never in FTL.
But you seem to be arguing that Storybrooke is NOT part of the real world. Yet you can drive to and from the real world to it, which contradicts your position that Storybrooke isn't part of the real world.
__________________
Remember "Just Alley"? Re-read it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #26
Jonathan_S
Registered User
 
Jonathan_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 13,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
But you seem to be arguing that Storybrooke is NOT part of the real world. Yet you can drive to and from the real world to it, which contradicts your position that Storybrooke isn't part of the real world.
It's at least connected to the real world, such that real world people (or Emma and Pinochio) can enter and leave it at will.

But (some) magic clearly works there (after all something held time unmoving for 28 years, Regina killed the huntsman by crushing his remote heart, and Emma apparently did fix the Mad Hatter's hat) and the cursed inhabitants are unable to leave. So it doesn't seem to be entirely the real word.
__________________
Xbox: MetalThreshkeen -- PSN: Threshkeen
TiVo Elite
Jonathan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #27
tiams
Registered User
 
tiams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
But you seem to be arguing that Storybrooke is NOT part of the real world. Yet you can drive to and from the real world to it, which contradicts your position that Storybrooke isn't part of the real world.
I'm not sure what it is you don't understand. The only people who have come to Storybrooke from the outside world are relatives of Fairy Tale characters. Pinnochio and Emma would have lived in Fairy Tale Land if they had not been transported out. Henry would have been born there. Thats what allows them to enter Storybrooke. Outsiders don't drive into Storybrooke. Storybrooke is not like the real world where Emma and Pinnochio grew up. It is a cursed place where time didn't even move until Emma showed up. Nobody who was cursed can leave.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #28
lodica1967
Registered User
 
lodica1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hawaiian Islands
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I'm not sure what it is you don't understand. The only people who have come to Storybrooke from the outside world are relatives of Fairy Tale characters. Pinnochio and Emma would have lived in Fairy Tale Land if they had not been transported out. Henry would have been born there. Thats what allows them to enter Storybrooke. Outsiders don't drive into Storybrooke. Storybrooke is not like the real world where Emma and Pinnochio grew up. It is a cursed place where time didn't even move until Emma showed up. Nobody who was cursed can leave.
Even the intro says that the FT characters were banished to "our world". There may be special rules but it is still the "real world".
__________________
"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~Rogers Hornsby
lodica1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #29
tiams
Registered User
 
tiams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodica1967 View Post
Even the intro says that the FT characters were banished to "our world". There may be special rules but it is still the "real world".
The intro is not canon and not written by the writers. It also said only one knows the truth and that wasn't true either. In the real world, does time stand still?
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:36 PM   #30
lodica1967
Registered User
 
lodica1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hawaiian Islands
Posts: 599
So your argument is that they remain in Fairy Tale Land and not out world? (Just trying to understand your opinion)
__________________
"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~Rogers Hornsby
lodica1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |