Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Once Upon a Time - "The Stranger" - S01E20 - 4/29/2012

Hate to say it, but I agree with Emma. That wasn't a very convincing argument on his part. But if she's not going to believe him, then she should find out how he knows what he does (blanket, etc). My guess is that her true love for Henry will make her break through the denial.

I will give myself a pat on the back for figuring out Pinocchio in the cabinet with the candlestick... I mean red hat. I did like the underhanded dealings by Geppetto with the Fairy, and the addition of that part of the backstory to what we already knew.

Interesting that Pinocchio left Emma, but I don't know how much protecting he could have done with that winner of a foster father.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:02 AM   #2
Doggie Bear

Our recording got clipped with about a minute left. What happened after Emma got together with Henry?
Doggie Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:45 AM   #3
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Emma asked him if he wanted to get away from Regina and live with her, he said "more than anything". She said buckle up, he asked where they were going, and she said "We're leaving Storybrooke" and drove off with him in the car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:49 AM   #4
markz
Hilarity Ensues

I am not clear on one thing...

Why is August's leg turning back to wood? Isn't he being brave, truthful, etc?

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:49 AM   #5
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I know some people didn't want August to be Pinocchio , but I thought it fit as well as anything else has. I just kept waiting for his nose to grow.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:03 AM   #6
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post

As a boy he left Emma to fend for herself. And when she hit 28, he was partying on the other side of the world.

He probably has termites. Wouldn't it be funnier if instead of a writer, he was a pest control guy?

Old 04-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #7
Shakhari

Quote:

I'm not really clear on whether his leg isn't really turning back to wood, but he thinks it is out of guilt, or if it really is changing, but Emma can't see it out of denial.
Shakhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #8
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
As a boy he left Emma to fend for herself. And when she hit 28, he was partying on the other side of the world.

He probably has termites. Wouldn't it be funnier if instead of a writer, he was a pest control guy?
Just seems like 28 years is a long time for it to start affecting him from leaving her.

It would be funny if he was a pest control guy!

Old 04-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #9
Ereth

Quote:
Emma asked him if he wanted to get away from Regina and live with her, he said "more than anything". She said buckle up, he asked where they were going, and she said "We're leaving Storybrooke" and drove off with him in the car.
Thanks for this. Mine also cut off. I finally figured out that both tuners have something to record at 9, and they both have "Start 1 minute early", and Dish DVR doesn't do "soft padding" so it cuts away, and that's why I miss the end of this show every week. Fixed that, but with only 1 episode to go.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:25 AM   #10
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakhari View Post
I'm not really clear on whether his leg isn't really turning back to wood, but he thinks it is out of guilt, or if it really is changing, but Emma can't see it out of denial.
I forgot to mention that last night. They left us with that nagging bit of doubt. Even we the audience don't know which is "the truth". He sees it as wood, she sees it as skin. He says "I'm sick" and "I'm dying", but hasn't explained why he thinks that.

My personal opinion is that he's right, and it's wood. The pain thing/seizure thing pushes me that way. Also, in FTL they didn't know what would happen to Pinocchio on the other side. Maybe some FTL magic fades over time in our world. It's really a coin flip/script revision.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:46 AM   #11
LooseWiring

Okay, was it just my own perverse nature or was the Blue Fairy letting it ALL hang out last night?

I thought it was just me until Julie looked up and said "Woah!".
Old 04-30-2012, 08:46 AM   #12
tiams

Quote:

Magic made him a real boy, lack of magic is what is turning him to wood.

The curse was coming which would make magic no longer exist and turn Fairy Tale Land into Storybrooke. FTL doesn't exist anymore, only Storybrooke. Pinnochio has been in the real world (outside of Storybrooke) for the last 28 years.

Lost reference of the night: Phuket.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #13
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseWiring View Post
Okay, was it just my own perverse nature or was the Blue Fairy letting it ALL hang out last night?

That was my favorite scene.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #14
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

Yeah, lots of gratuitous fairy boob shots last night. Not up close, but that outfit left zero to the imagination.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #15
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:

I admit, I made a comment about blue fairy boobs to my wife!

Old 04-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #16
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
The curse was coming which would make magic no longer exist and turn Fairy Tale Land into Storybrooke. FTL doesn't exist anymore, only Storybrooke. Pinnochio has been in the real world (outside of Storybrooke) for the last 28 years.
It's not the curse that makes magic not exist in our world, it's the fact that magic doesn't exist in our world (which is why Mr Gold's son wanted to come here). FTL didn't become Storybrooke; Storybrooke is where the FTL characters were transported.

How to reconcile the fact that magic doesn't exist in our world with the fact that magic seems to exist in our world is an open question. One which, hopefully, has an answer beyond a writer's "oops." Perhaps bringing magical beings here brought (some) magic into our world?
Old 04-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #17
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Lost reference of the night: Phuket.
Also, when Pinocchio first entered our world and an airliner flew overhead - was that an Oceanic emblem on the tail? Hard to tell but I think it was.

He also mentioned 8:15 but we've probably already noted that.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #18
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
It's not the curse that makes magic not exist in our world, it's the fact that magic doesn't exist in our world (which is why Mr Gold's son wanted to come here). FTL didn't become Storybrooke; Storybrooke is where the FTL characters were transported.

How to reconcile the fact that magic doesn't exist in our world with the fact that magic seems to exist in our world is an open question. One which, hopefully, has an answer beyond a writer's "oops." Perhaps bringing magical beings here brought (some) magic into our world?
The curse is why there is no magic in Storybrooke. They have said that.
Storybrooke is Fairy Tale Land without magic.

Storybrooke is what Fairy Tale Land became, it is not the real world. Our world contains places like Boston and Phuket. Storybrooke is a self-contained place that nobody who was in Fairy Tale Land at the time of the curse can leave. Just like Fairy Tale Characters could not leave Fairy Tale Land without and enchanted wardrobe.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #19
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post

Mr. Gold's son isn't in Storybrooke. Storybrooke didn't exist until the curse.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #20
LooseWiring

Quote:
The curse is why there is no magic in Storybrooke. They have said that.
Storybrooke is Fairy Tale Land without magic.

Storybrooke is what Fairy Tale Land became, it is not the real world. Our world contains places like Boston and Phuket. Storybrooke is a self-contained place that nobody who was in Fairy Tale Land at the time of the curse can leave. Just like Fairy Tale Characters could not leave Fairy Tale Land without and enchanted wardrobe.
Then how did Henry & Emma get there? How did Emma & August drive out to the diner?
Old 04-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #21
tiams

Quote:
Then how did Henry & Emma get there? How did Emma & August drive out to the diner?
Emma and August are not part of the curse because they were transported out of FTL in the enchanted wardrobe before the curse. They were not transported to Storybrooke, they were transported to the real world.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #22
Ereth

Quote:
Emma and August are not part of the curse because they were transported out of FTL in the enchanted wardrobe before the curse. They were not transported to Storybrooke, they were transported to the real world.
And they drove to Storybrooke. Busses go there. Henry was able to leave.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #23
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
And they drove to Storybrooke. Busses go there. Henry was able to leave.
Right, because Henry was never in FTL.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #24
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
I forgot to mention that last night. They left us with that nagging bit of doubt. Even we the audience don't know which is "the truth". He sees it as wood, she sees it as skin. He says "I'm sick" and "I'm dying", but hasn't explained why he thinks that.

My personal opinion is that he's right, and it's wood. The pain thing/seizure thing pushes me that way. Also, in FTL they didn't know what would happen to Pinocchio on the other side. Maybe some FTL magic fades over time in our world. It's really a coin flip/script revision.
Or August's condition is strictly psychosomatic due to his guilt about not doing what he was supposed to.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #25
Ereth

Quote:
Right, because Henry was never in FTL.
But you seem to be arguing that Storybrooke is NOT part of the real world. Yet you can drive to and from the real world to it, which contradicts your position that Storybrooke isn't part of the real world.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #26
Jonathan_S

Quote:
But you seem to be arguing that Storybrooke is NOT part of the real world. Yet you can drive to and from the real world to it, which contradicts your position that Storybrooke isn't part of the real world.
It's at least connected to the real world, such that real world people (or Emma and Pinochio) can enter and leave it at will.

But (some) magic clearly works there (after all something held time unmoving for 28 years, Regina killed the huntsman by crushing his remote heart, and Emma apparently did fix the Mad Hatter's hat) and the cursed inhabitants are unable to leave. So it doesn't seem to be entirely the real word.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #27
tiams

Quote:
I'm not sure what it is you don't understand. The only people who have come to Storybrooke from the outside world are relatives of Fairy Tale characters. Pinnochio and Emma would have lived in Fairy Tale Land if they had not been transported out. Henry would have been born there. Thats what allows them to enter Storybrooke. Outsiders don't drive into Storybrooke. Storybrooke is not like the real world where Emma and Pinnochio grew up. It is a cursed place where time didn't even move until Emma showed up. Nobody who was cursed can leave.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #28
lodica1967

Quote:
I'm not sure what it is you don't understand. The only people who have come to Storybrooke from the outside world are relatives of Fairy Tale characters. Pinnochio and Emma would have lived in Fairy Tale Land if they had not been transported out. Henry would have been born there. Thats what allows them to enter Storybrooke. Outsiders don't drive into Storybrooke. Storybrooke is not like the real world where Emma and Pinnochio grew up. It is a cursed place where time didn't even move until Emma showed up. Nobody who was cursed can leave.
Even the intro says that the FT characters were banished to "our world". There may be special rules but it is still the "real world".
Old 04-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #29
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodica1967 View Post
Even the intro says that the FT characters were banished to "our world". There may be special rules but it is still the "real world".
The intro is not canon and not written by the writers. It also said only one knows the truth and that wasn't true either. In the real world, does time stand still?
Old 04-30-2012, 02:36 PM   #30
lodica1967

So your argument is that they remain in Fairy Tale Land and not out world? (Just trying to understand your opinion)